PDA

View Full Version : What were you doing March 3, 1966

Sad Eyed Lady
6-26-11, 6:07pm
This thread was inspired by Catherine who posted some excerpts from her diaries on the "Im so old..." thread. I thought it would be fun to see what we were all doing on a given day in the past, as recorded in our own words of the time. I know some of you weren't even born then, but please indulge us oldies but goodies! If you do not have an entry for this date, choose one closest to it. Here goes:
" Dear Diary, I went up town 1st period. I got my bell bottoms. They are cranberry and real bell-bottomed at the bottoms with white laces up each side. I love them. 3rd period I got called to the office. Mr. Hampton talked to me about getting so many calls during class. I walked uptown after school. Saw Pam Massy up there. Bay & Glen picked me up, and we stopped at the Diary Mart and had something to eat. Came home and watched t.v."

So ends March 3, 1966. Which, by the way, was a Thursday.

Tammy
6-26-11, 6:27pm
I was 4 1/2. I will say that it was about this time that I was afraid of my little brother. He was only 2 at the time, but bigger and stronger. i tried to play in a different room when he was especially rambunctious. This is one of my first memories. He turned to be a much gentler spirit than I am. interesting!

Tradd
6-26-11, 7:05pm
Not born yet! I was born in March 1969.

Tenngal
6-26-11, 7:23pm
I was 10 yrs old. We had just moved a few miles out of town and began riding the school bus. We had the 1st black student at our school in our 4th grade class. We did not understand the uproar and thought she was pretty, nice and a good addition to our "girls who hate boys club".

razz
6-26-11, 7:35pm
i was newly married and attending university.

crunchycon
6-26-11, 8:53pm
I was 7 years old and attending a girls' public school in the UK as an ex-pat.

catherine
6-26-11, 9:08pm
Cool! Loved your entry, Shalom_poet! This is fun.

Here is my closest entry--March 18 (Friday) I was in 8th grade, and would soon have my 14th birthday:

O dear--another apology. Time has been running away so quickly. March 4 was Joan's pajama party, and we had a blast! Last Tuesday we got our pictures taken in our caps & gowns. I hope mine comes out nice--it will be my last one at St. Ann's. I decided to have a "roaring 20's" party for my birthday.

Last Sunday I saw the movie Carousel. It was one of the most poignant, fantastic movies I have every seen. I cried at least five times.

I have been thinking about leaving St. Ann's and every time I do, the more I know I'm going to hate leaving. Eight years in one school is awfully long. I've grown up with forty wonderful friends and chances are I'll never see them again. Sure I'll meet new friends in high school but it won't be the same. Well, better go.

Brian
6-26-11, 9:36pm
On a Thursday in March of 1966 I was adjusting to moving mid year in Grade 2, to a school in Roxborough (a Montreal suburb) from Toronto.... so that meant tomorrow would be a French vocab test of weeks words to study for. I do recall mid March of that year I did get my kit crystal radio working (March Break).

iris lily
6-26-11, 9:41pm
I don't keep a diary and so, don't know that I was doing on March 6, 1966.
But--That date sort of rang a bell, for the previous February. I consulted my charm bracelet which has a round silver disc engraved "Feb 25, 1966."

What happened on that date???!!!!! I was 12 years old and was in the front row of the KNRT theatre in Des Moines, Iowa, watching a live performance of Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel. My charm bracelet commemerated that!

Mighty Frugal
6-26-11, 9:50pm
Ummm...March 3rd 1966? Hmmm..oh yeah, i remember...I was being born-that's my birth date.

iris lily
6-26-11, 9:50pm
Ummm...March 3rd 1966? Hmmm..oh yeah, i remember...I was being born-that's my birth date.

oh ha ha ha! how about that!

Stella
6-26-11, 10:19pm
Oh wow MF! How random that the first date chosen was the day you were born!

I was 12 years, seven months and six days from being born, so no entry for me, but I'm enjoying reading everyone else's!

pony mom
6-26-11, 10:21pm
I was a five and half month old fetus. Hmm, I probably kicked a bit, slept a lot, and hiccuped occasionally.

goldensmom
6-26-11, 10:24pm

Can't top that one.

Gina
6-27-11, 1:10am
I was 28, sipping champagne, nibbling caviar, and sailing around the Greek Islands with Aristotle Onassis. http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=145&d=1294381426

Oh wait, that was a previous life...

rodeosweetheart
6-27-11, 2:58am
Not quite sure, but in those days, you could usually find me riding my bike around the neighborhood, playing "The Man From Uncle" --do kids still play things like that? it was our Cold War version of Cowboys and Indians--listening to Beatles songs, and learning long division.

LionGail
6-27-11, 5:12am
I was 10 in grade 6 at a tiny country school. On February 14th, 1966, Australia changed to decimal currency and some of children had been to the general store and brought some new shiny five cent pieces which replaced the sixpence. That amount would buy a nice little stash of lollies.

In the playground, was a tall metal 'Maypole' with metal chains and rings to hold onto. My friend Minnie and I thought we were were champions and would spend every playtime and lunchtime seeing how high we could go; I think they have since been banned.

The little country town is now a sprawling community, part of the growth corridor which seems to forever invade. :( Gail

Stella
6-27-11, 9:12am
Not quite sure, but in those days, you could usually find me riding my bike around the neighborhood, playing "The Man From Uncle" --do kids still play things like that? it was our Cold War version of Cowboys and Indians--listening to Beatles songs, and learning long division.

Today's version is zombie hunters vs zombies, at least in my neck of the woods. Or if you are my girls, My Little Ponies vs Zombies. :)

Sad Eyed Lady
6-27-11, 9:31am
I was 28, sipping champagne, nibbling caviar, and sailing around the Greek Islands with Aristotle Onassis. http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=145&d=1294381426

Oh wait, that was a previous life...
I should have said, sorry. Previous lives don't count!

Miss Cellane
6-27-11, 9:58am
I was 6 years old and in first grade at Rockville Elementary School in Rockville, MD. I would have walked to school with my older brother, but walked home alone, because he hated being seen with his little sister. I'd've had an orange for an after school snack, played with my baby sister, and read a bit, most likely a Nancy Drew mystery book.

Dad would have come home about 6:30, and we all would have a huge wrestling match in the living room while Mom finished cooking dinner. Then we'd do homework and Mom would read a story and we'd go to bed by 7:30. (My parents put us to bed much, much earlier than any of our friends, but there was nothing we could do about it.)

freein05
6-27-11, 11:10am
I was doing my advanced aircraft electrician training at Fort Eustis VA. Thanks to my Friends and Neighbors drafting me into the US Army!

Gina
6-27-11, 11:47am
I should have said, sorry. Previous lives don't count!

Oh, OK, then I probably was making mud pies in the back yard. ;)

But not in the Greek Isles.

Float On
6-27-11, 12:05pm
I was just a mere hope and desire in a young couples life (I arrived the next February).

CathyA
6-27-11, 12:31pm
I was 16 and getting ready to be admitted to a state mental institution. Fun memories.

rodeosweetheart
6-27-11, 1:10pm
Oh my gosh, Cathy, I am sorry, that sounds really painful.

I am reading these and really identifying--it was fun to read the one from Gail in Australia as we were exactly the same age. If I had commented on when I was 16, it would have not been as nice. It made me think about being a kid, what fun you have--making me realize I have not had any fun in a long time--must rebalance life and have fun again. Hmm.

I loved riding my bike at that age--total freedom, looking for Civil War artifacts, plum trees, berry picking--I have always loved being outdoors more than being indoors. Lately, my job totally sedentary on computer. All the good times in my life were outside in nature. Laura's post on park rangering really gets me thinking. I am NOT living my life in accordance with my true nature. Hmm.

I loved being 10 years old.

Mrs-M
6-27-11, 8:07pm
This is a super neat thread! Darn it all anyway, I can't find my diary from back then! And I was sooo meticulous in EVERYTHING I did back then, too!!! I was 2-1/2 at the time! http://th23.photobucket.com/albums/b353/mom2hooligans/smilies/th_baby.gif

iris lily
6-27-11, 9:11pm
Oh my gosh, Cathy, I am sorry, that sounds really painful.

I loved being 10 years old.

Me too! I read lots of books from our small town's library, rode my bike, climbed the apple trees, played with my 4 blond friends.

When I am centered it's like being a kid again in those times.

rodeosweetheart
6-27-11, 9:21pm
Exactly Iris, and it was actually your thread on when are you centered that made me realize that I was centered then all the time, and you ae right--when I am centered now, that's how I feel!

Kestrel
6-27-11, 9:35pm
March 3, 1966? #1 son was due (and of course we didn't know he'd be a "he") and wondering when he would make his appearance ... he was born March 12. I was working putting DH thru college and was worrying about taking a month off work. That's all we could afford, and we couldn't afford that. Of course it all worked out ... :-D

LionGail
6-28-11, 3:27am
I also loved riding my bike everywhere, always with my dog 'Scoot' happily leading. She was a lovely black spaniel that I adopted as a stray. My parents had a poultry farm which then was out in the sticks and friends were far and few between. I also loved being 10 years old.:)Gail

Brian
6-28-11, 3:09pm
LionGall my dog then was named Scout, a foxhound who would run after any perceived game animal from squirrel up, so he should have been called Scoot? I still have scars on my left knuckles from where he dragged me across lawn on onto the street after something he saw... Montreal dog catchers were not the friendly bunch I had known elsewhere in our moves and would fine if not on lead for ANY reason. I was determined not to loose him that time.

margerymermaid
6-28-11, 3:39pm
What a great idea Shalom! I don't have a diary from that time period but I remember EXACTLY where I was. Trapped in a British boarding school just outside of London. My parents (God rest them) wanted me to pass my GCE exams (which are what you need to get into uni) and they could tell that my wayward ways would not pass them unless I was locked away somewhere. OH how I HATED it! It was a huge, very old, castle like building and my bed was in a large dorm with 40 other girls. I slept below the belltower and shared a small cubicle to do my ablutions (wash face, clean teeth) we were only allowed a bath and hair wash once a week (no such thing as a shower in those days) and I recall there being an outbreak of head lice! I also remember having a picture of The Animals in my cubicle and being told to take it down. The matron was a scary sergeant major type who'd walk through the dorm at 9pm with a large bell, ringing it as she went (lights out) and again at 6:30am to get us up! I had my 16th birthday in there with two other girls who shared my birthday in May of that year and I recall my mum showing up with a lovely cake. I cried.
Today I can look back at that and know that my parents loved me so much and were scared of where my 'wayward' ways were taking me (I had a drink problem at a young age) and if they hadn't done this I probably would have made some worse mistakes than I eventually did! Plus I passed my exams!
Thanks for letting me share that. It was fun to look back.

redfox
6-28-11, 5:01pm
Lost all my diaries & etc., in a fire 20 years ago... so no documentary record. I was 11 years old, living in a post-WWII subdivision of starter homes in Denver, probably playing in the snow after school (it was a Thursday), under that crystal clear blue sky which is Colorado in the winter.

Polliwog
6-29-11, 1:11am
I was dating the man I would marry the following year in January. We had been in 7th grade together. Marriage was a disaster from the get-go although we stayed together for 12 years and had 2 sons (the best part). I wish I could say I had a happy childhood like so many of you. My happiness came much later through much therapy. Today I am a happy 67 year old (on Friday).

LionGail
6-29-11, 4:22am
Brian - 'Scout' is a great name for your dog; seems like he was a very strong dog. My dog 'Scoot' loved to swim in the dam and always came back with a big smile on her lovely face. 'Scoot' was mother to a couple of litters of puppies and she got along well with 'Greta' my Dad's German Shepherd (she stayed on the farm, didn't come running with us) The only time I ever saw my Dad cry was when 'Greta' was buried outside his poultry farm.

Mrs-M
6-29-11, 5:25am
Originally posted by Serendipity.
March 3, 1966? #1 son was due (and of course we didn't know he'd be a "he") and wondering when he would make his appearance ... he was born March 12.I feel so young reading this. :) And here I thought I was the older crowd here! ROTFLMAO!

Aspen
6-30-11, 6:26pm
I was in utero, exactly two months away from being born.

reader99
6-30-11, 8:51pm
March of 66 I had just turned 11 and was in the fifth grade. I walked to school, uphill both ways*, and walked home for lunch each day. I had a key because my single mother worked. If I forgot the key, I would scrabble up the side of the apartment, pry the storm window outward at the bottom (it hinged at the top), scootch the window of my mother's bedroom open and slither in. In that same bedroom was a dresser drawer, in which was hidden a paperback copy of Peyton Place. My mother took it away from me, saying the people in it didn't treat each other with respect so she didn't want me to read it. Each day after school and before she got home from work, I read it until I finished it.

Girls were required to wear dresses or skirts to school, so I did, the same 5 outfits round and round. By 7th grade I was rolling them up at the waist to make them into mini-skirts; in 5th grade, not yet. Also not yet in March was Star Trek, to be debuted in September of '66. In March, I would have come in from playing outside, fairly early because we all went in when the street lights came on, to watch Hogan's Heroes. Jackie Gleason, with the June Taylor dancers. Ed Sullivan, I've Got A Secret, Andy Griffith. I had a crush on Mingo of the Daniel Boone show. I had already been a Beatlemaniac for several years.

*also downhill both ways - up one side and down the other