PDA

View Full Version : Back Surgery

Jill Sanders
6-26-11, 9:17pm
Just need a little input from those of you out there that have been through this. My husband and I started a little Carry Out business 34 years ago. It was a lot of being on your feet on concrete. My husband died in 2007 and my son took over. I injured my back sometime and have a slipped disk that needs fusing. Right now, I am down to working two hours a day. Anything over that and I start having severe back pain. The surgeon tried everything else and then finally scheduled me for back surgery in Sept. Now, here is my question: Am I really improving my situation by having this surgery?? Or will it only reduce the pain and not permit me any more hours on my feet?? I don pain management pretty well and probably wouldn't have the surgery but would like to get back to work more full time. Wonder if I am dreaming and this isn't going to happen. Just want to hear from others who have done fusions and how this went for them.

Float On
6-27-11, 12:03am
I'm anxious to hear replies, worried about my husband's back problems that he's been dealing with for 20 years now. From what some people have told me back surgery was the best thing they did or the worst thing they did so it just seems like a scary option to me. A lot of people have told me that one back surgery tends to lead to more surgeries.

chrisgermany
6-27-11, 6:22am
I have written in your other thread on DH's surgery.
Now he is again able to walk more and longer than in spring and we believe that returning to special weight training did the trick.
So surgery is no "fix it forever" solution but you need to be careful and do your training regularly.
If you want to have the surgery to be able to move and lift things as before: this will not happen.
My brother in law, being a farmer, does that and now is after his 3rd surgery.

All the best to you!