PDA

View Full Version : Where is your center?

iris lily
6-26-11, 9:50pm
When, where, what are you doing when you feel the most "you?"

Tonight I had an evening garden session where I drank red wine (it must be red!) and spent a couple of hours marking lilies. I was stinky from sweating all day, I was dirty, I was in NO MOOD to talk to anyone except the silly dogs.

I needed to commune with my lilies (now, don't laugh, it's the truth--I've purchased so many new ones recently that I have to get to know each variety) and I can only do that by looking at them and drawing in their unique characteristics.

After all of that, I still have several new white OT lilies that I can't tell apart. This makes me anxious. Pretend you have 4 boy children and you can't tell them apart. Would that make you anxious? Well, now you know how I feel.

But all of that said, I was totally centered, I was In The Moment, and This is Who I Am.

Chickadee
6-27-11, 12:16am
Love this question! I will need to think more about it but can say for certain that one thing that I know of for certain that is my center is when I am playing piano. I have to play every single day. A part of me is missing if I don't.

It doesn't really matter if I am performing for people or not, or playing solo or with a group of musicians...the piano keys just somehow become a living extension of my body and the music just pours out. There is a "zone" that I enter into and nothing else exists outside of it and I just know that this is one of the things I was created to do. The notes come alive on the page to me (if I am using written music) and the song becomes a dance between keys and fingers and feet (pedal) and ears and eyes....it is an indescribable feeling. The song sweeps me along like the wind and it ebbs and flows, crescendo and decrescendo, like the tide. I couldn't live without it.

It took me a long time to come to that realization and to realize what a part of me music is. It was mostly through the positive comments and tears (good ones!) of others that I finally realized that music was one avenue I could touch people's hearts with, and that they weren't just being kind when they would tell me how much my playing meant to them. I hope to always use it to be a blessing for others. I am grateful for the gift of music and that I have the body parts to play it. lol It is truly when I know This Is Who I Am.

ApatheticNoMore
6-27-11, 1:20am
Walking, in nature, with a friend. And then resting afterward in nature. It's what I was born to do? Ha, it's what I was programmed by millions of years of evolution to do! Oh how hard it is to go back to civilization.

Sad Eyed Lady
6-27-11, 9:37am
Mine just seem to happen at random moments. The other day I was walking to the Post Office to mail a letter,(yes a real letter written by hand), to my pen friend June in Australia whom I happened to meet through simple living. I realized I was so centered, so in the moment. Nothing was happening, but just this wonderful serenity, and I was aware of it. Wish it could happen more often, but when it does it is bliss.

Float On
6-27-11, 9:45am
After a hard paddle on my kayak in the lake when I break thru that moment of putting aside all the worries and troubles and become aware of my connection to all that is around me - ahhh peace.

treehugger
6-27-11, 12:16pm
When I am in my kitchen, MP3 player on shuffle, cooking and/or baking. Ideally, I have at least 2 things going at once.

Kara

cdttmm
6-27-11, 3:49pm
Trail running - miles and miles of trail with rocks and tree roots. And hills. Lots of hills. Big ones.

Yppej
6-27-11, 5:53pm
Meditating in the temple.

libby
6-27-11, 5:55pm
Kara my center is also my kitchen. I too put some music on and immerse myself in cooking and baking.

herbgeek
6-27-11, 6:00pm
When I'm completely covered in dirt from head to toe after having spent the day in the garden. And then again once I clean off and am sitting in the hot tub with a glass of wine soaking my sore muscles. :)

treehugger
6-27-11, 6:19pm
Kara my center is also my kitchen. I too put some music on and immerse myself in cooking and baking.

Very cool. I hope you won't take it personally if I don't invite you over to join me. I greatly prefer to cook alone! ;)

Kara

Maxamillion
6-27-11, 7:09pm
The one time I went canoeing. It was amazing. One day when I can, I want to do that again.

Otherwise, usually it'd be listening to my favorite songs, and working on crafts when I'm really able to get into it. And driving through the countryside.

Fawn
6-27-11, 8:56pm
It is that moment when ALL is done.... the paid for work, the mommy work... and all I need to do is appreciate "right now."

Anne Lee
On my bike. Or kayaking. Or hiking. Or working with a group of kids with whom I've connected.

Mrs-M
Finding my centre happens as the result of me becoming engrossed in whatever I'm doing/taking on, whether it be a project, a little catching up, relaxing, or maybe even playing host to and entertaining a few family members/friends over the course of an afternoon or evening. Centre (for me) is finding that magical moment in time where all things come to a screeching halt around me, while I busy myself with something I truly cherish and enjoy.

pony mom
6-27-11, 10:50pm
Spending time with my horse centers me. I can be having the crappiest day ever, but a few minutes in his presence makes it all OK. Grooming is a sort of bonding thing between us and I usually do some acupressure or Reiki too...he responds so well to both and I love doing it and it has health benefits for both of us (the person giving Reiki receives it as well). Whether riding for training or relaxing on trails, it's amazing how in-tune a human can become with such an amazing animal--if you listen. He sometimes just likes to stand on a hill in a field and observe everything around us. It's such a relaxing way to enjoy nature (until a deer/groundhog/fox/bunny/saber toothed tiger moves in the cornfield-then it's Hang ON! cuz away we go!)

I'm just realizing that my reason for being here is not to be famous or a CEO or save lives or make millions. My greatest pleasure is just taking care of my (and sometimes those that aren't mine) animals; being involved in their care and welfare and learning everything I can is something I can lose myself in. Giving advice, when asked, about animal care is enjoyable because I really want people to be educated and find out on their own how to keep their pets healthy and happy.

Ugh! I just finished eating 11 Fig Newtons and now feel like a beached whale. I couldn't just leave the last 3 in the package.

Rogar
6-27-11, 11:28pm
It's a tough call among a few favorites, but I have to say that walking on a nice nature trail is my centering point. There is something about the rhythm of a steady pace in a quiet area with a friend or alone that does it for me and is somehow close to quiet meditation. It is something I wanted to more of in early retirement and am able to go out most days of the week in all weather. I've not been disappointed.

mattj
6-27-11, 11:54pm
When I've been working hard for days and I take a break in the jaccuzi. It takes me awhile to slow down. I'll go through all the hot water and stay put until the water heater catches up and I can reheat the water. That's about the time that pure bliss settles in. It takes 40 gallons of 120 degree water to quell the chatter and the twitch response to move onto the next to do item but it's worth it.

flowerseverywhere
6-28-11, 7:40am
I bike everywhere and take the long way and find myself way out in the country. Sometimes I feel the solitude kicking in and get into a zone where there is no noise, nothing but nature and my body systems have taken over so I am not thinking about riding. Just the other day I had a moment, I saw an owl sitting in a tree who was giving me the evil eye. I stopped and he watched me for a while then it suddenly took off and flew through the trees soundlessly with it's huge wingspan. Everyday I see all kinds of butterflies, birds, and catch a glimpse of peoples gardens and sometimes their lives as I pedal slowly along. I cut through developments and down streets I would never drive down. Life is fascinating when you live it with purpose and stop to smell the roses.

catherine
6-28-11, 8:40am
My centre is anywhere and anytime I can take my feeble attempts at connecting with God in contemplative prayer out into "the world"

HappyHiker
6-28-11, 8:22pm
My center is found on a woodland path, in a mountain meadow, in my garden tending to my tomato or herb plants, or sitting under a tree, cloud gazing...or after yoga, during a guided meditation...I feel the earth whirling about me and I'm at peace and in tune with the circle.

SoSimple
6-28-11, 8:38pm
Out in nature, sitting admiring a gorgeous view after a good long hike (although I can no longer manage the long hikes I used to enjoy).

And (just to prove my complete and utter geekiness) when I am working on some tricky programming/scripting/report writing logic and it all just falls into place like a jigsaw magically putting itself together. I call it being "in the zone" and when I'm there I am completely engrossed in what I'm doing - I fail to notice phone calls, knocks at the door, people talking to me . . .

razz
6-29-11, 9:22am
It could be a really well written book, my meditation each morning looking out at our garden, playing the piano at times or simply sitting and being glad that I am alive at this moment in time.

CathyA
6-29-11, 10:13am
Nature. After all, I was raised by a grove of trees.

redfox
6-29-11, 10:41am
Baking bread... working or just being in the garden... spinning fiber into yarn... building a fire in the woodstove... making a comfy bed for company... sitting around after a lovely dinner with friends, drinking wine & being convivial. Extrovert type things! Nice question, thanks.

HappyHiker
6-29-11, 11:25am
Yes, indeed, a nice question--and such lovely answers. I feel such kinship with many of you...

Spartana
6-29-11, 12:51pm
Trail running - miles and miles of trail with rocks and tree roots. And hills. Lots of hills. Big ones.

Ditto! With lots of trees and no other people!

cdttmm
6-30-11, 3:23pm
Ditto! With lots of trees and no other people!

Agreed!!! I hate encountering other people on "my" trails!!! :D