PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin D

Greg44
6-28-11, 2:28am
Had my physical last week...reminded me of the end of "Father of the Bride II" when Steven Martin had an unexpect prostate exam - "Do I know you?" :0!

Total Cholesterol - Dec 2008 161 - June 2011 194 >:(
Triglycerides - Dec 2008 122 - June 2011 205 >:(

Not sure how the numbers work with Vit D, but she said it was 28 and should be 32?
Wants me to take 2000 IU Vit. D for three months and re-test.

Has anyone else up'ed their Vit. D and noticed any changes??

Rosemary
6-28-11, 6:13am
I had my vit D checked for the first time in mid-April. It was about 14! Dr asked me to take 2000 IU for 8 weeks and follow up. At second appt it was in the low 30s, so I'm still taking it, although of course it's a lot sunnier now, too. She indicated that she likes to see levels close to 50.

Mrs. Hermit
6-28-11, 8:55am
My vit D test showed single digits last time! We added 2000 vit D daily, and haven't retested yet. But I have noticed a lessening in the diffuse aches and pains.

H-work
6-28-11, 9:41am
I swear by Vit D. It's not actually a vitamin, but a hormone. I do live in the mountains in the PNW, so cloud cover is 3/4 of the year. People who live here get tested and have single digit levels. Since we started supplementation, we don't get colds or the flu. I have kids in the house and they haven't had more than a sniffle despite being exposed to all sorts of gunk. Not even my mom, who had Parkinsons, and who would have colds that lingered for months and months. When I started her on Vit D, her colds went away. And she never got the flu under my care (3 more years), even tho she did not get a flu shot at that time.

If you live in a sunny area, you may not notice such a dramatic change. 28 is actually pretty high in my mind. Like I said, we have constant cloud cover and I hear from my friends having a very low number.

CathyA
6-28-11, 9:46am
I take 4400 u a day. I'm not sure if I notice a difference, since I have other issues going on. My level was low, as is my son's.
Be sure to take a reputable brand.
Seems like everyone these days has a low D level. Don't know what that means. The U.S. seems to go through spells of telling everyone they need something.
I also think its important to NOT use sunscreen all the time.
Sometimes I think some of us have a deficiency in our skin and not in the amount of sun that we get.

CathyA
6-28-11, 9:53am
Greg,
Those numbers aren't horribly bad. (cholesterol, trigs)

redfox
6-28-11, 10:12am
I'm about to start a year long study regarding the effects of Vit. D on weight loss in overweight & obese, post-menopausal women. The theory being tested is that adequate levels help women in those categories mentioned lose weight.

It's a double blind study, and involves exercise & food charting, so it will be interesting to see the results. Makes sense that they are recruiting in Seattle! Our Vit. D levels are notoriously bad here... I won't know till the end of the study if I've had the Vit. D supplement or the placebo.

ApatheticNoMore
6-29-11, 4:28am
Sunshine definitely improves my mood and I think it does over the long term too (alas I think I got a bit too much recently, even despite taking precautions :)).

Greg44
6-29-11, 9:36am
Sunshine definitely improves my mood and I think it does over the long term too (alas I think I got a bit too much recently, even despite taking precautions :)).

I think this is why I liked our Feb. trips (when we use to be able to afford it) to Mazatlan - it really felt like it charged
my batteries for the rest of the gloomy winter and wet PNW springs.

CathyA
6-29-11, 10:10am
It finally hit me awhile back that older people probably gravitate to sunny places in their old age. As we age, I think our Vit D levels drop and our bodies try hard to get them up (by traveling south).
Even with my fibromyalgia, when I work physically hard outside in the sun, I feel better mentally (despite the pain)......but I think its the use of my muscles. I think our muscles, when used, release good stuff too. It all works together!