PDA

View Full Version : Getting a tattoo

screamingflea
6-29-11, 12:20am
Well, sort of. I made the decision a year ago and I keep chickening out. :|(

But it would be a semi-sleeve, chronicling the last ten years of my life. It would be a meandering arrow starting at my wrist, going up to my shoulder with various symbols representing things that have happened along the journey. The top at the shoulder would be blank, representing the open promise of the future.

My tattoo decision has taken on a new dimension since the passing of my friend last month. He had two gorgeous and intriguing sleeves. They were such show-stoppers that his artist paid him to accompany him to conventions, where he often drew crowds. I couldn't imagine a better tribute.

So I'd love to hear from others about this for feedback. What tattoos you you have, and what was behind the decision? How did you choose an artist? (An aspect I'm not taking lightly.) And how have your feelings about your tattoos changed over the years?

I realize some tattoos are intensely personal, so I'm not trying to pry. Just gathering info for my own decision.

redfox
6-29-11, 10:23am
I have a small hibiscus flower on my back above my left shoulder blade. Got it in Salt Lake City in 1981 as I was on the road moving from Missouri to Seattle - it was a rite-of-passage thing. I paid $25 for it, and found the only female tattoo artist in a 5 state area at that moment driving past her shop. It's cute; has lost all its color due to time & neglect, and I rarely think about it.

Body mods and art are often dramatic in their impact when revealed. Because the social norms regarding body art changes, I made the decision to have a discreet location for mine. Not knowing what, where, or who I would be in 30 years time, I wanted the options afforded by discretion. I'm glad I made that choice. I am now, 30 years later, in an occupation that would be impacted by a visible mod, and not positively.

treehugger
6-29-11, 11:57am
In December 2009, I donated a kidney, and in April 2000, I got a tattoo to commemorate that. It's a butterfly (symbol of new life) with the green organ donor ribbon as its body. Underneath is the date of my surgery: 12-17-09. The butterfly is outlined in black with lavender-fading-to-yellow wings. It's in the center of my upper back. Easy to cover up; easy to show off. :)

I had it done at a locally famous body mod studio in Berkeley (which has no shortage of such studios), Zebra. I met with the artist a couple of months prior, to discuss the art and find out the price, so I could save up for it. He ended up giving me a sweet discount (that I definitely did not ask for!) because I was an organ donor.

I've always admired (well-done) tattoos, but never saw myself actually getting one, since I couldn't imagine picking something to have for the rest of my life. Then, sometime during the pre-op period, it suddenly popped into my head that I wanted a tat after surgery. And when I decide something, I just get it done. Took me awhile to figure out the art, but once I saw it, I just knew it was right. The artist came up with the lavender and yellow scheme, which I adore. The original image was all green.

I admit I was a tiny bit nervous, but didn't let that stop me and the pain was completely bearable and less than I expected. It healed quickly and well, and I am still thrilled with it.

My mom, btw, HATES tattoos and think they say really bad things about people who have them. So, she uses her finely honed denial skills and pretends I don't have one.

Kara

Xmac
6-29-11, 12:26pm
I been thinking about getting one for a while. The only thing I'm inclined to get is the symbol for chaos, which actually means infinite possibilities. It's about 8 arrows coming from the same central point. I suppose I'm waiting to see if some other idea hits me harder, so much so that I go out immediately and get it.

Kara, your comment about your Mom is funny. I love the theme of your tattoo.
Some people seem to get tattoos that just look good. If I got one it would have to have some significance relative to my spiritual path.

Spartana
6-29-11, 1:21pm
When I was in the service I got a small one with my name (first name intial and full last name) and the last 4 digits of my military ID # (which is also my SS#) on my wrist. Its very common for people in the military to get something like that somewhere on their body for identity purposes. Now I'd like to add something pretty (a flower or something) to it but still keep it small. I like having that as a civilian because I go off by myself all the time and this way if something happens to me (unconscious in a hospital with no ID or dead) I can be IDed easily. But I would think twice if I (or you) wanted to get a big whole arm tattoo. Getting something like that when you are young seems cool but living with it everyday for the rest of your life and in your 80's or beyond would be a different story. I get sick of things fairly fast and would rather have something changable. So I'd say to start small, live with it for awhile, and then add to it over time if you want.

Float On
6-29-11, 2:08pm
I'm not interested in having one myself but love asking about people's tattoos. Everyone usually has a reason and a story for every tat. Except one girl. She had a tattoo of a large hand gun on her chest, high and visible. You couldn't look at her, wearing a strapless sundress, without seeing it. So of course I asked. Very politely (I don't know how to ask or talk any other way). She got irate, so much to the point where she walked out on her job right then.
My thought is, if you don't want to talk about it for the next 60 years (she was young early 20's) then don't expose it or have it placed where everyone will see it, regardless of your reason for getting one.

porcelain
6-29-11, 7:15pm
I think that tattoos look cool on some people, but that I wouldn't be one of them!

SoSimple
6-29-11, 7:36pm
I got one after my brother died. A little cliched, but it's a cross with a dove and his name. It's on the back of my left shoulder: fairly easy to keep covered up for work, but will peek out if I'm wearing something sleeveless. It was very personal and not for general display - a permanent memorial to my brother as I move around so much and his ashes are scattered in Kenya - not exactly easily accessible.

My mother was horrified (I had to reveal it when I got married as my wedding dress was sleeveless).

screamingflea
6-30-11, 2:25am
So Simple, I'm sorry to hear about your brother. Exposing the tattoo at a time like that really sounds perfect though. Very symbolic of having him there.

I've gotten even more excited over the project this week after choosing an artist (http://julientattoo.com/about-julien/). His portfolio is phenomenal. He's the third one I spoke with, and the only one who actually sat down with me and listened rather than sending me off with a "come back with a better idea." So I'm hooked.

One thing I have realized through this process is that I'm cycling. It hit me when I was talking with him and describing what I wanted. It's all very deep and meaningful to me, but I got more misty than I normally would. I've made many a sweeping decision when my moods are off, some cataclysmic and some the best things I've ever done. A tattoo isn't going to be one of them. I'm still having fun with the design, but the finished product can wait.

treehugger
6-30-11, 12:17pm
I've made many a sweeping decision when my moods are off, some cataclysmic and some the best things I've ever done. A tattoo isn't going to be one of them. I'm still having fun with the design, but the finished product can wait.

That sounds good. I don't think you'd ever regret waiting longer and putting more thought into it. Have fun with the process.

Kara

ctg492
7-24-11, 12:22pm
I hope you get the tattoo you want, sounds like you have thought a long time and planned well.
I have thought since 1977 about getting "Dylan" Or "Blood On The Tracks" inked on me. Never did, still love listening to him daily. So I did the next best thing gave my son that name :)

catherine
7-24-11, 1:03pm
treehugger, I think your mom's generation just represents a time in which only a certain kind of person got a tatoo. A "classy" person would NEVER NEVER get a tatoo. My stepfather had several, and my mother made him get rid of them--which at that time was a pretty disfiguring process--he had to get skin grafts from his thigh and have them sewn, like patchwork over his arms. He was a hairy guy, but the hair never grew back on the grafts, so it looked weird.

Now, DH, 58, has been talking about getting one! He wouldn't even let our kids dye their hair or get any piercings while they were growing up--now he wants a Marine tatoo, and some symbol of Scotland. Who knows if he'll get it?

I think if I were to get one, what pops into my mind is something tongue-in-cheek, something like the Magritte paintings: "Ceci n'est pas un pipe" (this is not a pipe) on a painting of pipe. I thought maybe "ceci n'est pas mon corps" (this is not my body).. or "je ne suis pas mon corps" (I am not my body). Just to poke fun at the idea of tatoos: To me, making your body a bumper sticker for your identify is interesting. Not wrong, just interesting.

screamingflea
7-25-11, 2:48am
To me, making your body a bumper sticker for your identify is interesting.

Wooooowww, that's deep. Personally that makes me like the idea all the more. What better and more affirming place to wear your heart?

treehugger
7-25-11, 12:02pm
treehugger, I think your mom's generation just represents a time in which only a certain kind of person got a tatoo. A "classy" person would NEVER NEVER get a tatoo.

Oh, I know exactly why she feels that way. But, it's her choice to continue to hold onto those feelings and therefore be ashamed of her grown daughter. Whatever. Most days, I actually find it funny how much the thought of it disgusts her.

She might not admit this, but I think a lot of her feelings have to do with her step-daughter (who she can't stand) having multiple, showing on "public skin" tattoos. And for her daughter to get one, too, is just reprehensible.

Kara