PDA

View Full Version : two simple changes

mattj
6-30-11, 2:53pm
So recently I made two small changes to running my world that are making a huge difference. First, I started a "journal" where everyday I do a goal setting brainstorm session. I try to keep true to the spirit of brainstorming and not edit/censure the things that come up. I devised a notation scheme that allows me to go through past days entries and indicate progress, success, changes, etc. Now that everything is in the book it doesn't clutter up my brain.

The second change is moving the computer to a stand up desk. This has been a huge help... no more endless internet sessions that suck the life force out of me. It's convenient to check things, etc. but doesn't invite mindless surfing.

Mrs. Hermit
6-30-11, 4:02pm
I'm interested in your notation scheme. It sounds like a good idea. Could you share it?

mattj
6-30-11, 4:09pm
so far I put a check mark next to things I take action on, any action at all. I put an A w/ a circle if I've found an answer to something. A V, for victory in a circle if I complete something. An S in a circle if I complete a discreet step towards achieving something. The zero w/ the slash through something if I decide to drop an item. A star for urgent or important items. Oh, and a down arrow if I decide something can sit on the back burner indefinately. I may add a few more as this develops. What's interesting is that the first few days I had pages of items. Now I really have to think in order to come up w/ anything to add which gives me time to go back and continue to address items I captured earlier.

Oh, I used a composition notebook for this and all the notations go in the margin.

Gardenarian
6-30-11, 9:19pm
I love your notation scheme and your journal idea; the whole thing is so organic and non-threatening.

I have made my desk at work into a stand up station and everyone thinks I'm crazy! They even bought me a special chair, because they were so concerned. I've been standing for about a year, and now I just prefer it (and so does my body - back, varicose veins, neck, eyes.) Humans are not designed to sit in chairs!

iris lily
7-1-11, 7:25am
That's computer tip is great.

rodeosweetheart
7-1-11, 8:17pm
I am intrigued too and am going to order a stand up computer cart from amazon next month. We shall see. . .

Yppej
7-1-11, 9:13pm
The journal idea really appeals to me.