PDA

View Full Version : My aunt died last night

SoSimple
6-30-11, 9:06pm
Last night my aunt passed away. She'd had Huntington's disease (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001775/) for 15 or so years and her two girls (18 and 19, my youngest cousins) are now orphans as their dad died in a climbing accident about 5 years ago. Their only family now is me, and my parents.

I chatted with the 19 year old and she was almost relieved that it was over, I think.

It is such an awful, cruel disease, and the worst of it is that both of the girls have a 50/50 chance of developing it later in life. They're both aware of this but I don't know if they've decided to get tested or not. I suspect the younger one may be showing early symptoms already - as it's passed down through the generations it tends to appear at earlier and earlier ages - but I sincerely hope not.

Valley
6-30-11, 9:42pm
How sad for all of you! They are so young to have lost both parents. I hope that you will be there for them and with them as they face life and all of its difficult decisions.

Gardenarian
6-30-11, 9:50pm
That is a very tragic tale. I can't imagine being in the shoes of one of those poor girls!
Blessings to you all.

JaneV2.0
7-1-11, 12:21am
That is a truly horrible disease. As more and more people get tested, it may dwindle and die out, but in the meantime, the suffering it causes is immeasurable. Your aunt is finally at peace.

Zoebird
7-1-11, 3:30am
I'm sorry for your loss, and I hope those girls will be both well and happy through many years to come.

chrisgermany
7-1-11, 5:06am
I am so sorry about that. I had a friend who died from this disease and the symptoms and suffering is so horrible.

Wildflower
7-1-11, 5:10am
I'm so sorry. My cousin has Huntingtons and it is a terrible disease.

crunchycon
7-1-11, 5:58am
My sincerest condolences to you and your cousins.

Rosemary
7-1-11, 6:37am
Condolences to you and your family. So very difficult for your cousins - to lose both parents at such young ages, and to have this possible medical condition hanging over them as well.

Kat
7-1-11, 8:18am
I am so sorry for your loss. How awful for your cousins to lose both parents at such young ages. May peace and comfort find their way to them and to you.

razz
7-1-11, 10:08am
So sorry to hear this. Hugs to you and the family.

Sad Eyed Lady
7-1-11, 10:09am
Cherish the good memories before this awful disease. I pray you will have the peace and comfort that you need right now and to share with your cousins.

iris lily
7-1-11, 10:10am
Those poor girls, their mother was sick all the time that they can remember. I'm sorry for that, and sorry for you loss and theirs.

poetry_writer
7-1-11, 11:25am
Prayers to you and your family. I am sorry for your loss.

Mrs-M
7-1-11, 11:28pm
Prayers, caring thoughts, and well wishes to you and your family SoSimple.

early morning
7-2-11, 10:59am
(( )) So sorry about your family's loss, wishing you peace.

Bastelmutti
7-3-11, 9:17am
Very sorry to hear this and sending you and your nieces good thoughts.

janharker
7-3-11, 9:25pm
I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Sounds like it was also hard getting to this point.

I confess that it struck me that you called the 2 girls orphans. I took a look at their age. It makes me wonder at what point do we stop referring to people whose parents have both died as orphans. Both of my parents have died; I'm 54 y.o. Am I an orphan?

Mrs-M
7-3-11, 10:54pm
Originally posted by Janharker.
I confess that it struck me that you called the 2 girls orphans. I took a look at their age. It makes me wonder at what point do we stop referring to people whose parents have both died as orphans.I'm going to say that it's a motherly thing. My mom and I have had conversations about people who have lost both parents and my mom made mention of them being orphans, too.

But in answering your question, "It makes me wonder at what point do we stop referring to people whose parents have both died as orphans. Both of my parents have died; I'm 54 y.o. Am I an orphan"? My opinion is, when a person reaches an old enough age, an age where they have reached independence, then that is time enough to cast aside the orphan relationship tied to the loss of both parents, but until such a time I believe it's well in order.

As grown adults we understand the concept of death, loss, and moving forward, it's a natural and integral part of the living and aging process, particularly once we reach a certain age, however with young children and even teens it's expected that ones parents will be around forever. That's the difference.

Bronxboy
7-4-11, 10:35am
I'm very sorry to hear of your family's loss, Huntington's is a particularly devastating disease.

I confess that it struck me that you called the 2 girls orphans. I took a look at their age. It makes me wonder at what point do we stop referring to people whose parents have both died as orphans.

Jan, death of a family member in one's teens or early 20s seems to have a major impact in life. Seen it in couple of examples in my own family, most notably a woman in her early 20s who raised two younger sisters.

In practical terms, even with inherited assets, people in this age range need assistance in managing them. A friend of my brother and I spent a substantial inheritance he received at 19 on drinking and drugs, and has struggled since.

janharker
7-5-11, 9:12pm
My parents were divorced when I was an infant. I lived with my mother. She died when I was 11. I had to move into my father's/stepmother's home where I was not wanted. Prior to my graduation from high school I was shoved on to 2 brothers in succession. In a way, I felt orphaned.

I think that when they have reached "an age where they have reached independence" is a good definition. Sounds like these 2 girls have not yet gotten that far.

creaker
7-5-11, 9:45pm
I'm very sorry to hear of your family's loss, Huntington's is a particularly devastating disease.

Jan, death of a family member in one's teens or early 20s seems to have a major impact in life. Seen it in couple of examples in my own family, most notably a woman in her early 20s who raised two younger sisters.

In practical terms, even with inherited assets, people in this age range need assistance in managing them. A friend of my brother and I spent a substantial inheritance he received at 19 on drinking and drugs, and has struggled since.

My father passed a couple weeks after I turned 23 - it would have been so different if it had been 4 or 5 years earlier.

Anne Lee
7-6-11, 10:24pm
How tragic. I hope that if not a cure then at least a course of meds to minimize the symptoms and suffering is found IF the worse should be realized in your family. Prayers and thoughts for all involved.

margene
7-8-11, 5:03pm
I sorry Sosimple. Life sure isn't fair sometimes. I realize how lucky I am that I'm 48 and still have my mother.