PDA

View Full Version : Monster liliy

iris lily
7-1-11, 12:28am
Each year I have a favorite new lily. Well, this year's favorite new one is a doozy. It's called "Flashpoint" and here it ishttp://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb111/kprp/Flashpoint.jpg

iris lily
7-1-11, 12:35am
Flashpoint is a recent introduction, an Oriental Trumpet hybrid and I've never seen one grow like this.

It went in the ground in March 2010, and already these bulbs are producing flowering bulblets. I picked a sizeable bouquet from the bulblets at the base of just one plant.

The stalks are nearly 2" in diameter and they are very strong, no need to stake. This is great in a plant that's only 1+ year old.

The lilies near them are doing almost as well, but just aren't quite up to the standard of Flashpoint. It is very impressive.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb111/kprp/compactstrong2ndyearplants.jpg
The light pink lilies are "Baywatch" which has been out on the market only a few years. I lusted after that OT after seeing at the national lily show in 2009. Now I've got my own little bed of Baywatch babes.

iris lily
7-1-11, 12:45am
Here is MR. Lily with "Gizmo," an LOO lily (Longiflorum Oriental backcrossed to Oriental.)

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb111/kprp/GizmoRoy.jpg

Gina
7-1-11, 1:02am
Very, very pretty!

Wildflower
7-1-11, 5:11am
Absolutely gorgeous!!

peggy
7-1-11, 9:13am
How pretty!

jania
7-1-11, 9:17am
These are just gorgeous! Do you ever pick some to enjoy inside or do you leave all the flowers for outside enjoyment only? I want to pick a few!

iris lily
7-1-11, 10:00am
These are just gorgeous! Do you ever pick some to enjoy inside or do you leave all the flowers for outside enjoyment only? I want to pick a few!

When shows are over, I pick. Just this morning I drove around delivering lilies to people in the neighborhood. But the bad thing about these is that they have the STRONG Oriental lily scent and one bloom will perfume an entire room, so an entire stalk of blooms is more than some people can stand.

I tell my friends to put them outdoors and they will scent up their yard.

rodeosweetheart
7-1-11, 11:41am
OMG these are enormous/fantastic/resplendent!!! Thank you for sharing--this is making me lily-hungry. The ones I planted this year have been gorgeous, but not quite as enormous/fantastic/enormous as these babies.

I have also had luck down here in SC with replanting amaryllis bulbs we got as previous Christmas presents. Now one went to seed and I am trying to grow amaryllis from seed. Wish me luck!

rosarugosa
7-1-11, 8:20pm
I love that lily smell - I think I can smell them from the photos!
Oh, and please thank Mr Lily for modelling for us! :)

jania
7-1-11, 9:43pm
As soon as you (Iris lily) mentioned the fragrance I could smell it! (I'd forgotten how wonderful they smell to me, though it is strong). However, I realized what an amazing smell you must have in your yards when everything is in bloom. Enjoy!

Zoebird
7-2-11, 1:48am
gorgeous. might have to plant some. pots ok?

freein05
7-3-11, 8:49pm
Not a monster but a native of the West Slope of the Sierra Nevada Mountains in Central California. At our elevation this is the best we can do and they are no work. I love the delicate flowers. They do not last more than a couple of days.

iris lily
7-3-11, 11:17pm
Not a monster but a native of the West Slope of the Sierra Nevada Mountains in Central California. At our elevation this is the best we can do and they are no work. I love the delicate flowers. They do not last more than a couple of days.

That is a beautiful delicate little iris, just lovely.

iris lily
7-3-11, 11:18pm
gorgeous. might have to plant some. pots ok?

Yes, these can go in pots although if it gets much taller, that won't be so good.

freein05
7-8-11, 10:40pm
Sorry for highjacking you thread again iris but my wife saw this beautiful native iris yesterday. It is a Rocky Mountain Iris. They are native to the Sierras too. We have had our place for 30 plus years and this is the first time we have seen one bloom. They bloom in June or July if the soil is moist.

With the bad winter we had over 20 feet of snow and snow on the ground until the end of May there feet are even wet today.

iris lily
7-8-11, 11:41pm
This small iris is stunning, absolutely gorgeous. So do I understand correctly, it's the moisture that's bringing them out? Most species of iris are desert plants so you'd think they'd like the dryness.

Greg44
7-8-11, 11:43pm
Wow - you don't have green thumbs, you must have green HANDS -- all your flowers are so nice! Wonderful photos!

freein05
7-8-11, 11:53pm
The Rocky Mountain Iris requires moisture when the flower is forming. If it does not have enough moisture the flower will not from. We normally have 6 months of drought here. It normally stops raining or snowing in May and does not start until November. This year rain started in October and snow in November our last snow storm was in May and we had some big rain storms in June.

It is a lot more pretty than the other iris we have here and like I said this is the first time I have seen one in over 30 years.

Edited to add: I do not have green hands. Nature is my green hand.

Mrs-M
7-9-11, 11:38am
Absolutely gorgeous Iris!!! Do you remember Hugh Brannum (Mr. Green Jeans/Captain Kangaroo)? Well, you are Mrs. Green Jeans to me! :) P.S. Love the addition of your handsome husband in the pics!

Mrs-M
7-9-11, 11:40am
Freein05. Thank you as well for the additional pictures!

razz
7-10-11, 8:05am
While I love most flowers, there is something about the lilies that is so majestically beautiful and dramatic. I hope to get to the North American lily show this weekend in at the Royal Botanical Gardens in Hamilton Ontario. It is rarely outside the US.

iris lily
7-10-11, 8:31am
While I love most flowers, there is something about the lilies that is so majestically beautiful and dramatic. I hope to get to the North American lily show this weekend in at the Royal Botanical Gardens in Hamilton Ontario. It is rarely outside the US.

razz, you'll see some serious lily people there! A couple of people from my lily club are going.