PDA

View Full Version : Repeat Frugals

fidgiegirl
7-1-11, 11:53am
I think we had a thread like this on the old board but it is so fascinating to me and I always hope to learn new frugals. What are all the "repeat" frugals you enjoy? Here are some examples from our life:

- I cut DH's hair for a $20 savings each time compared to going to the barber. I cut it about every four-six weeks, for a savings of about $175 a year and we've been doing it for five years now. The cutter cost $30.

- We cut up old t-shirts to use in the kitchen and for other cleaning tasks. Saves us purchasing paper towels - we haven't bought any since about 2006.

- We use an all-purpose cleaner that we mix up ourselves with a tiny amount of dish soap, some vinegar and water. We use about a bottle a month. A 409 type cleaner would be, what? $3/$4? So we save that much every month.

Haha, I thought I had so many and now this is all I can think of.

thinkgreen
7-1-11, 1:22pm
I buy organic dried beans in 25 lb bags. Each bag saves me $80+ over buying them by the pound at my local grocery.

I keep a dishwashing soap bottle by the kitchen sink that is full of water with one squirt of dishwashing soap in it. Great for washing up an item or two rather than using a squirt of straight dishwashing soap for each item. Savings ?? Perhaps 4 bottles a year?

fidgiegirl
7-1-11, 2:14pm
Ooh, thinkgreen, I like the dishwashing soap idea. And that's a lotta beans! :)

You reminded me of another one. We use a foaming soap pump in the bathroom. We are pretty against antibacterial soap and were spending a ton of money on refill soap. Now we dilute the soap with 1 part soap and 3 parts water for the pump. It lasts sooooo much longer! We went from buying several bottles of refill soap a year to none, because are just using the dish soap we got at Costco for $8 per gallon (or more?).

benhyr
7-1-11, 2:19pm
I cut my own hair. Scissors, a mirror, and no fear. Sometimes I have DW tidy up the neck if I don't think I whacked it good enough.

I wash and reuse ziplock bags too, which is a habit I picked up from mom.

I do have lots of places to improve on, though, that's for sure.

frugal-one
7-1-11, 7:07pm
I keep a dishwashing soap bottle by the kitchen sink that is full of water with one squirt of dishwashing soap in it. Great for washing up an item or two rather than using a squirt of straight dishwashing soap for each item. Savings ?? Perhaps 4 bottles a year?

We use a foaming soap pump in the bathroom. We are pretty against antibacterial soap and were spending a ton of money on refill soap. Now we dilute the soap with 1 part soap and 3 parts water for the pump. It lasts sooooo much longer!

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to utilize both of these! Now to find a foaming soap pump???

Kat
7-1-11, 8:09pm
I make foaming handsoap for my dispenser, too!

I also tend to do laundry the same way: cold water, 1/2 recommended amount of detergent (or less), no softener, dry for a little while and then hang. 1/3 of a dryer sheet if needed.

We are also big leftover people. My friend's DH is a leftover snob. He will only eat "new" food. Thank goodness my DH isn't picky! He's just thankful to have food!

early morning
7-1-11, 11:01pm
I mend almost everything at least once. Including sox and undies - have retrofitted many bras. Hang laundry to dry, outside or in - kids use dryer some, but none of the items I wash have seen the inside of a dryer since we've purchased them. Like Kat, we wash in cold, very little detergent. Clothing usually worn more than one time. Spots washed out in between washings. Most things purchased used. Take lunch, coffee, water to drink. Lots more I could do, but don't, *sigh*.

thinkgreen
7-1-11, 11:13pm
The foaming dispenser is a good one fidgiegirl. I do this also but use the bubble bath that usually comes at Christmas. Since nobody here is a frequent bubble bather I use it up in the bathroom foam dispensers. I like the idea of using dishwashing soap. Thanks for the idea.

Yes, it is a lot of beans. We use about a pound a week for soups, etc. so go through a couple of bags every year. I buy different varieties for a change, navy beans, black beans, lentils, garbanzos, pintos, etc.

Kat, that's a great point about the laundry. I am big user of my clothesline too. But for some reason I do it opposite to you, I hang first and then dry for 10 minutes. Maybe I should turn it around??

Gina
7-2-11, 12:55am
I enjoy bbq in the summer. I use briquets, and after the food is cooked, close down all vents, the coals go out, and then you can reuse them.

Changed out all light bulbs to compact florescents that were dirt cheap (subsidized by the electric company). And turn off lights when I leave the room.

Keep heat low or off in winter - just wear more layers. Of course that's easier in SoCal. :)

Shop thrift stores/yard sales for clothes.

Have veggie garden.

Wash hands in cold water.

Line-dry clothes inside the house.

Collect and eat road-kill. (not really - but there are books on the subject. http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=171&d=1294631413 )

sweetana3
7-2-11, 7:07am
A small item but a long time ago we got large pump bottles of shampoo. When used up, I used two of them as permanent shower dispensers and we refill. It helps us use only use what is needed of the shampoo and body wash. I also refill small pump bottles of hand washing liquid for each sink from a huge warehouse bottle of soap.

Rosemary
7-2-11, 7:12am
Our garden is fruit-focused because, while we can get fabulous local veggies at the farmers' market, local fruits are fairly costly. So this provides more savings for the work input. Most fruit crops are also perennial. We grow some veggies as well - just our favorites.

I'm surprised that cooking at home hasn't been mentioned yet! It's probably our biggest frugal. Whereas hanging laundry outside (which we do) probably saves about 50 cents/load, cooking a single dinner at home vs eating out saves at least $15 (for the 3 of us dining with a good coupon at a restaurant). Packing lunches saves about $1.70/meal over school lunches, and more than that for DH.

Another big food cost saver is buying seasonally, and planning the menu around sales and what we already have in the freezer & pantry.

We have insulating window blinds and drapes that make a tremendous difference in both winter and summer. In summer, our house is a cool, shady retreat and we rarely need to use the a/c. The shade trees are finally getting large enough to help in this regard. We also added insulation in the attic, and that made a big difference in winter comfort.

We don't use disposable items. Cloth napkins, rags for cleaning (I keep a few in the kitchen, the bathroom, the laundry room), covered baking dishes instead of aluminum foil (I've used baking sheets as a cover in a pinch), small containers for packed lunches and snacks instead of bags. I freeze foods in containers as well, to avoid single-use bags.

We never, ever water the lawn, no matter how hot and dry it gets. If you've ever tried to remove grass from a flower or vegetable garden, you know how invasive it is. It doesn't die, in our summers, anyway. If it goes brown and dormant, that means we don't have to mow it in the hot summer weather, and that is just fine with us. We leave the grass clippings on it and use no other fertilizers.

And probably our largest impact is that we are teaching our daughter how to do all these things, as well as to reuse and make new things out of what otherwise would be discarded.

early morning
7-2-11, 9:33am
And probably our largest impact is that we are teaching our daughter how to do all these things, as well as to reuse and make new things out of what otherwise would be discarded.
Rosemary, that's an excellent point!

Kat
7-2-11, 10:22am
Like Rosemary, we totally cook at home, menu plan, and buy seasonally. Can't believe I forgot that one! ;)

@thinkgreen--I used to hang dry our stuff and then put it in the dryer for a few minutes to soften it up. But I started doing it the other way (dry first, then hang) because I hate wrinkles and we wear a lot of stretchy things. Putting them in the dryer for a few minutes gets out the wrinkles and helps stretchy items get their shape back. If I hang something stretchy to dry first, it gets all mishapen. It's too big and doesn't "shrink up" right when I put it in the dryer after it is dry.

That's just our experience. YMMV. :)

cdttmm
7-2-11, 2:00pm
Many of mine are the same as what others have posted:

Wash full loads of clothes in cold water and line dry whenever possible; use minimal amount of detergent and 1/3 of a dryer sheet
Wash full loads of dishes in dishwasher using the energy efficient drying cycle, but we try to time it so that we can interrupt the machine when it gets to the dry cycle, then we open the door and let the dishes air dry
Use cloth napkins instead of paper napkins
Use rags instead of paper towels (successful about 95% of the time)
Shop for clothes second hand whenever possible; repair clothes and continue to use instead of throwing them away
Grow our own vegetables, blueberries, and apples
Raise bees for honey and use honey instead of sugar whenever possible
Turn off lights when not in use
Close/open blinds accordingly to minimize using heat or A/C
Cook at home and eat leftovers to minimize food waste
Compost whenever possible
Groom our dogs ourselves instead of paying someone to do it - including bathing, clipping, teeth, and nails
Learn basic veterinary care and keep supplies on hand to minimize trips to the vet for minor reasons (this is a repeat frugal for us as we have a cat received fluids by IV 3-4x per week right now)
Drink water or tea with meals, usually, instead of soda or juice

Sad Eyed Lady
7-2-11, 2:26pm
Most of my repeat frugals have been mentioned already also:

Dry clothes outside in good weather/inside when not good such as winter
Mostly do laundry in cold water
Use only cloth napkins
Switched to the squiggly bulbs, and turn off anything not in use - lights, t.v., radio etc.
Reuse plastic bags (zip-lock type)
Take my own bags when I shop (not being frugal here, but still a good practice)
Mostly shop at thrift/consignment stores
Make a lot of my own cleaners or use something simple like baking soda, vinegar, etc.
Drive a car that gets excellent gas mileage
Do only full loads of laundry, full loads of dishes and then air dry the dishes
Use leftovers if we have them
Use the library. Here there is no telling how much we have saved since we are both readers and have a constant supply thanks to the library in our town, nearby town, and inter-library loans
Have cut DH's hair & beard for many, many years
I either take my lunch to work or come home for lunch except for maybe 1 day a week

reader99
7-2-11, 2:54pm
It's the repeats that add up year after year to a meaningful savings.

I've never had a car loan or a new car, so I've never paid for collision insurance. Never paid interest on a car loan either.
I haven't had a haircut in 15 years. (My hair is past the small of my back. I trim the ends occasionally)
I don't get my nails done; no pedicures
The only facial I ever had was less than half price through Groupon

Like my mother before me, I stick the last sliver of soap on to the new bar so it doesn't go to waste.
The bags the groceries come in in are the bags the trash goes out in.
The half bottle of shampoo in the shower has been there since 2007, when I started using baking soda instead. [Does shampoo go bad?]
I clean mirrors and glass with a barely damp microfiber cloth. Sometimes the outside of the windows need a little vinegar to get the mineral spots off.
1 tablespoon of laundry detergent seems to be optimum in my laundry. I buy it at Big Lots where it costs a fraction of the name brand at the grocery store.

Many standard grocery items, such as mayonnaise, cost close to just half as much at Wal-Mart as they do at the Winn Dixie nearest to me.

fidgiegirl
7-2-11, 4:26pm
Now to find a foaming soap pump???

I bought mine at the local co-op. Also you could buy a "throwaway" pump which seem to be widely available now, and reuse.

This is the exact one we have. Amazon search turned up a lot of options for about $15. You'll easily save the cost back in soap savings.

http://www.amazon.com/RSVP-Acrylic-Foaming-Soap-Pump/dp/B000W8AFU0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1309638385&sr=8-2

fidgiegirl
7-2-11, 4:56pm
I've never had a car loan or a new car, so I've never paid for collision insurance. Never paid interest on a car loan either.

The half bottle of shampoo in the shower has been there since 2007, when I started using baking soda instead. [Does shampoo go bad?]

Did you find that your hair was greasy when you started on the baking soda? I am tempted to go no-poo but just can't get my head around it.

Excellent point on the car insurance. That sure would add up, and with an emergency fund would be covered in the event of any needed replacement . . .

Use the library. Here there is no telling how much we have saved since we are both readers and have a constant supply thanks to the library in our town, nearby town, and inter-library loans

Can't BELIEVE I didn't think of this one, too! The savings are incalculable. We are so lucky in the United States to have the library systems we have. I know the funding is always threatening them but when I was living in Mexico there was NOTHING that compared. Nothing. I really missed the library there.

Raise bees for honey and use honey instead of sugar whenever possible

Groom our dogs ourselves instead of paying someone to do it - including bathing, clipping, teeth, and nails

How did you get into the beeraising? It's kind of attractive to me because of the volume of honey that can be produced (so I've heard) from one hive, and since we are in an urban setting, that sounds kind of good. I am more interested in the side money from selling the surplus honey than having tons and tons for us to use . . .

Also curious to know how you started grooming the dogs. Did you just do trial and error? Or take some kind of class? We bathe our Corky and cut his nails, but he is not the kind of dog that needs clipped. However, in the future we'd like to get a dog that doesn't shed as much, and that means cutting hair.

kfander
7-2-11, 4:57pm
Mine would be composting, although it might sound like an altogether different topic. My house and yard sits on what used to be a pond, filled in with coal ash from a paper mill more than a century ago. Trees tend to grow only so far before they fall down, except for those whose roots are able to plow through the coal ash, since our soil layer is only a few inches deep.

The town composts lawn waste at its compost facilities, which is free for the taking by any town resident. For the first year that I was there, I made several trips with my Chev. S-10, hauling barrels of compost to dump onto my lawn. On the other end, we don't have trash pickup services so everyone has to haul their trash to the municipal transfer station, which is just past the municipal compost area. So, i was making trips to the transfer area hauling my trash a couple of times a week throughout the year, and trips to the compost area most every weekend during the summer.

Starting my own compost piles has reduced the amount of trash that I haul by more than fifty percent, and having three separate compost piles gives me a three-year compost cycle that allows me to compost stuff I wouldn't otherwise compost, such as cat litter, any kind of food scraps, cardboard, junk mail, and anything that will compost within three years.

The result is that I have cut my trips to the transfer area by more than half, and have cut my trips to the compost area altogether. Plus, I know what's going into my compost.

Mrs-M
7-2-11, 6:07pm
Cdttmm and Shalom_Poets lists so closely express my own list, I'll just ditto theirs! :)

Gina
7-2-11, 6:12pm
In the kitchen:

-Using the solar oven as much as possible, esp in summer. This keeps the kitchen cooler.

-Not preheating the inside oven unless I'm cooking something that actually requires it like baking.

-Open and close the oven door judiciously. Don't waste energy. I know people who will open it, then just let it remain open while they go look for this or that.... egads.

-Turning off the oven a bit early, but not opening the door, and let things finish cooking in the still hot oven.

-When cooking pasta, use bare amount of water (not whole pot full) then turning it off before totally done and let it finish cooking in the hot water in covered pot.

-When putting non perishables into the fridge such as drinks/water, wait till the morning when the temp of the item is at its coolest.

-Be careful about opening the fridge door - and definitely don't stand in front of the open door for long. When making a sandwich, take out everything at once, then put the ingredients all back in at once too. Much less cold loss.

-For reusable dish cloths, I cut up a synthetic blanket. They air dry fast, dont get smelly/funky, can be run through the washing machine easily, are durable and don't fray. You can cut them to the size you prefer. I prefer using a new blanket, purchased cheaply at K-mart or the like. (check sq footage vs price) If you can stomach it (I cant), you can buy used ones cheap ($1) at yard sales, then wash/sanitize well.

-Keep a bag in the freezer into which you put all meat/bone or veggie scraps for making stock.

-Make your own vinegar from left-over wine.

cdttmm
7-4-11, 6:58pm
How did you get into the beeraising?

Also curious to know how you started grooming the dogs.

We started beekeeping about 8 years ago. We worked with a local beekeeper to learn the ropes. I can't say that it has necessarily been an income producing hobby, but we do now have 10 hives. Theoretically speaking, in a good season an established hive will produce ~100 pounds of honey. In New England we can usually sell honey for ~$4/lb. So a single hive could bring you $400 in income minus the minimal expenses that are involved. But, a poor season could mean you end up with little or no honey. Urban beekeeping is becoming very popular and, in general, urban hives do better in terms of honey production than rural hives. There is probably a local beekeeping group - I would suggest contacting them about getting started if you are interested. Most beekeeping groups offer classes for beginning beekeepers at a low cost to help people get started.

As for dog grooming...I grew up on a farm in MN and was very active in 4-H for many years. I learned how to groom cattle, horses, sheep, goats, and dogs for show through 4-H. I was responsible for bathing and clipping all of my show animals from around the age of 9. My mom used to help me in the beginning so that there were no obvious lines from the clippers, but I was able to complete the entire process on my own by the time I was 11 or 12. I won a bunch of awards for showmanship, which emphasizes grooming and handling over confirmation of the animal, so I must have been doing something right! I don't show my dogs now, so I'm not that concerned with flawless clipping. Instead, I just keep them clipped in the summer to help them stay cooler and to make it easier to bathe them after they have gone running through the mud! I bought a fairly basic pet clippers for ~$30. It's easy to use and I think learning through trial and error is a valid option. After all, your dogs don't know if you've screwed up and the fur always grows back so it's pretty foolproof!

cdttmm
7-4-11, 7:12pm
Here are a few repeat frugals that we have, but each of them required a bit of an initial investment:

We drive a diesel car that has been converted to run on waste vegetable oil. We collect vegetable oil for free from local restaurants, filter it, and then use it to fuel our car. We've driven that car nearly 200,000 miles in 6 years, so it's been a repeat frugal more times than I can count!

We installed solar panels for both hot water and electric.

We installed a high-efficiency outdoor wood boiler for heat. We were heating with oil previously, but heating with wood has been a huge savings. We have cut and split cord wood delivered, but we stack it ourselves. Stacking firewood is my favorite form of exercise, I couldn't imagine paying someone else to do it! Our neighbor agreed to teach me how to split wood, by hand, so soon we'll be able to save even more. And I'll have yet another form of exercise! :)

fidgiegirl
7-4-11, 10:48pm
Huh. I might have to look into beekeeping :) Even DH thinks it would be neat. Usually he has taken a while to warm up to urban homestead-y things :)

Tiam
7-5-11, 2:04am
Our garden is fruit-focused because, while we can get fabulous local veggies at the farmers' market, local fruits are fairly costly. So this provides more savings for the work input. Most fruit crops are also perennial. We grow some veggies as well - just our favorites.

I'm surprised that cooking at home hasn't been mentioned yet! It's probably our biggest frugal. Whereas hanging laundry outside (which we do) probably saves about 50 cents/load, cooking a single dinner at home vs eating out saves at least $15 (for the 3 of us dining with a good coupon at a restaurant). Packing lunches saves about $1.70/meal over school lunches, and more than that for DH.

Another big food cost saver is buying seasonally, and planning the menu around sales and what we already have in the freezer & pantry.

We have insulating window blinds and drapes that make a tremendous difference in both winter and summer. In summer, our house is a cool, shady retreat and we rarely need to use the a/c. The shade trees are finally getting large enough to help in this regard. We also added insulation in the attic, and that made a big difference in winter comfort.

We don't use disposable items. Cloth napkins, rags for cleaning (I keep a few in the kitchen, the bathroom, the laundry room), covered baking dishes instead of aluminum foil (I've used baking sheets as a cover in a pinch), small containers for packed lunches and snacks instead of bags. I freeze foods in containers as well, to avoid single-use bags.

We never, ever water the lawn, no matter how hot and dry it gets. If you've ever tried to remove grass from a flower or vegetable garden, you know how invasive it is. It doesn't die, in our summers, anyway. If it goes brown and dormant, that means we don't have to mow it in the hot summer weather, and that is just fine with us. We leave the grass clippings on it and use no other fertilizers.

My question would be: Why even have a lawn? Why not turn it into a vegetable garden? I have a lawn. I do water it. I don't much care if I have a lawn, but since I have it, I feel I want it to be green.

Tiam
7-5-11, 2:11am
Can't BELIEVE I didn't think of this one, too! The savings are incalculable. We are so lucky in the United States to have the library systems we have. I know the funding is always threatening them but when I was living in Mexico there was NOTHING that compared. Nothing. I really missed the library there.

*Sigh*. Well, you are quite right, we are lucky to have something. I don't use my Library much. They don't carry movies, (and I live in a sub urban area) and most newer books, which are the ones I am always interested in are usually checked out and have huge waiting lists. My county has suffered much at the loss of funding and has privatized. The selection has radically reduced, and yet the library is huge. That sounds awful, but I really hate waiting for books that I'm really interested in reading. I don't buy them much though except used for .50 or $l.00. But still, I should be more patient for my Library.

Stella
7-5-11, 8:16am
I have many of the same items as the rest of you on my list. Cooking at home, foaming pump soap, washing in cold water, using scrap veggies for stock, making my own laundry soap.

Taking hand-me-downs and shopping second-hand for kids clothes is a huge money saver for me. I got another load of toddler boy clothes this weekend from a friend. James and Travis are set for a while.

Another regular frugal thing we do is that we mostly get together with friends at each others homes instead of going out. I have a weekly Girl's Night with a friend where we go for walks, sit out on her back porch and talk and occasionally watch a movie or have a bonfire. Another friend and I bake together. Zach's has friends that come over to play chess and another friend who he hangs out with and fixes cars or house things with. That's been a savings over the years, I can tell you that. Between the two of them there's almost nothing they can't fix.

Combining households with my dad has been a huge, regular frugal. We pay for most improvements to the house, the association fee, the internet and food costs. Dad pays the rest. Even if we were paying all of the bills, this house isn't any more expensive than our last apartment or Dad's old apartment, so by sharing costs we are able to live pretty cheaply. Our total annual house related expenses, including upkeep and improvements, is less than two months of our combined incomes and it will be going down drastically in the next few years to less than a month's worth of combined income annually. Every other frugal thing I do pales in comparison to this one.

My other huge regular frugal is that I never buy anything on credit. You all convinced me when I was very young that interest is the enemy and I have a avoided it like the plague ever since. Also, Terminator, who used to be on the old site, talked me into giving up the cell phone, describing monthly financial commitments as "death by a thousand cuts". I have been very happy to be free of the cell phone. I can't wait to be rid of my student loans. I am ready to get serious about paying them off. There is about $6,000 left.

Rosemary
7-5-11, 8:27am
On the lawn question: I'd rather not have a lawn, frankly. It's a huge hassle to mow. I'm working on reducing it a bit at a time. Our yard is about 1/3 acre, so it's taking a while.

But it is green most of the season regardless of the weather; in the 7 years we've been here and not watering it, I think there have been 2 years that it has gone dormant in the hottest part of our yard for a couple of weeks. Then it rains again, and it greens up. It doesn't turn into a cardboard-brown mass.

This spring I overseeded the lawn with white clover and that is a wonderful ground cover. It is more drought-tolerant than the grass and fixes nitrogen.

I see a big part of being frugal as questioning why things have to be done according to the status quo. I lived in the desert for 10 years and saw that grass would live through just about any weather there with no watering. It's one of the most invasive plants in our yard. So we don't water.

frugal-one
7-6-11, 9:45pm
Thanks fidgiegirl for the foaming soap pump link!

ApatheticNoMore
7-7-11, 4:13am
I've started keeping diluted dishwashing soap around.

reader99
7-7-11, 8:56am
Did you find that your hair was greasy when you started on the baking soda? I am tempted to go no-poo but just can't get my head around it.

Yes, that's one of the things the article I read warned about - make the switch sometime when you aren't making a presentation at work or anticipating a big date. As I understood it, shampoo strips the natural oils, so the scalp works harder to replace them. We don't notice it because it becomes the normal cycle. When we stop stripping the oil, the scalp takes a few days to realize it and cut back on production.

crunchycon
7-7-11, 9:00am

Yes, that's one of the things the article I read warned about - make the switch sometime when you aren't making a presentation at work or anticipating a big date. As I understood it, shampoo strips the natural oils, so the scalp works harder to replace them. We don't notice it because it becomes the normal cycle. When we stop stripping the oil, the scalp takes a few days to realize it and cut back on production.

If you're not doing it already, I also recommend a follow-up with a rinse of 3:1 water/apple cider vinegar. Untangles hair and restores the Ph balance.

reader99
7-7-11, 9:07am
If you're not doing it already, I also recommend a follow-up with a rinse of 3:1 water/apple cider vinegar. Untangles hair and restores the Ph balance.

Yes, the vinegar was the greatest discovery for me. My hair is long and wavy and used to tangle horribly even with conventional conditioner. The vinegar rinse has completely done away with tangling. And with itchy scalp, while it was at it. And no, the vinegar smell does not linger.

Mrs-M
7-7-11, 10:57am
What an awesome thread this is! One repeat frugal (of mine) worthy of mentioning, cloth diapering. Out of all the repeat frugals in our home, this one still tops the list as being #1! I always managed to get by with using the same set of diapers for two babies (back to back) before having to start replacing them with new, and seldom did I need to buy rubber pants for any of the kids while they were at the newborn/early months stage. Original diaper pins purchased for oldest daughter used for my entire troop! Youngest two included. Original plastic diaper pail, too!

thinkgreen
7-7-11, 11:24am
@Kat - Thanks for the tip on 10 min. in the dryer before putting things on the clothesline. I tried it and I can see the difference.

Aqua Blue
7-7-11, 1:37pm
Another thing I found helps keep towels softer when line drying is to drape them over the line so half is on each side. They seem to be softer when they beat against themselves while drying.

My repeat frugal is to always combine and errand with at least one other. Most of the shopping is on the otherside of town, and I try to make only one trip over there a week.

Mrs-M
7-8-11, 11:06am
Just to piggyback my last entry, with the years of cloth diapers I dealt with came years of (free) household wipers and window washers! In fact my youngest has been toilet trained for the better part of two years now (holy cow does time ever fly) and I have a supply of flannelettes to get me by for the next twenty or so years (anyway)! I simply cannot think of anything as repeat or frugal as that!

treehugger
7-8-11, 12:13pm
Lots of great ideas here; I can't think of any to add that haven't already been posted. Our household's biggest money saver? Never eating out.

Just to piggyback my last entry, with the years of cloth diapers I dealt with came years of (free) household wipers and window washers! ...and I have a supply of flannelettes to get me by for the next twenty or so years (anyway)! I simply cannot think of anything as repeat or frugal as that!

I never diapered children, cloth or disposable, but I did "inherit" a linen closet shelf full of cloth diapers (we bought our house from my MIL, who was a packrat, and we "inherited" a ton of stuff, mostly crap that we have now thrown away) that I use all the time. Very useful for all sorts of cleaning tasks, especially since we quit buying paper towels at least 8 years ago.

Kara

Mrs-M
7-8-11, 12:51pm
Lots of great ideas here; I can't think of any to add that haven't already been posted. Our household's biggest money saver? Never eating out.

I never diapered children, cloth or disposable, but I did "inherit" a linen closet shelf full of cloth diapers (we bought our house from my MIL, who was a packrat, and we "inherited" a ton of stuff, mostly crap that we have now thrown away) that I use all the time. Very useful for all sorts of cleaning tasks, especially since we quit buying paper towels at least 8 years ago.

KaraMy supply of old used cloth diapers are the first things I reach for whenever I'm doing windows or need a fluffy absorbent reusable wiper! You simply cannot beat the absorbency! Lint-free, too!

Kat
7-9-11, 7:54am
What an awesome thread!

@thinkgreen--I am glad the dryer tip is working for you. My dad still swears by the other way (hang first, soften in dryer for a a minute or two after), but the reverse works better for me. :)

I thought of another one--using half or less than the recommended amount of things. Half (or even a third0 of a dryer sheet, half a pump of homemade foaming soap, just a dime-sized blob of shampoo, etc. I promise that I (and my stuff) is still perfectly clean! :-)

rosarugosa
7-9-11, 8:32am
Paying bills online is a favorite; I save on both stamps and checks.

thinkgreen
7-11-11, 2:38pm
Soon I will buy local seasonal produce and dehydrate it for winter use. I stock up on carrots, celery, cabbage, corn, cauliflower, etc. when they are fresh and inexpensive. I find it easier to process a lot of carrots (or whatever item) at once and dehydrate it. Then all winter long I can just scoop out what I need for a soup or stew with no washing, peeling, chopping. This way I get produce all year at the best price of the year.

We also grow our own apples, pears, plums, etc. and dehydrate or freeze them for winter use.

I don't buy pjs, I use tshirts and shorts which perhaps have too much wear to travel out of the house but are still have a lot of use in them.

I used to do a lot more laundry. Then, reading on the old boards, there was a thread about wearing your clothes more than once. Believe it or not, I had never thought of that. When I was raised we only wore our clothes once and then into the wash they went. This made a big difference for us. Underwear still only sees one day use but socks, pants, shirts, etc. now do multiple uses and the number of loads per week has dropped. This means less soap, less energy, less wear and tear on clothes, much more frugal.

frugal-one
7-11-11, 5:29pm
thinkgreen... so how do you rehydrate the veggies? Do you just use them for soups and stews or will they work for stir fries too? Hmmm

kfander
7-11-11, 6:21pm
Paying bills online is a favorite; I save on both stamps and checks.

And then you get to shred the bills for compost.

thinkgreen
7-11-11, 11:15pm
frugal-one... I typically use the dried veggies in soups and stews. I just add them and cook in a crockpot or pressure cooker. I started dehydrating based on instructions from backpacking books but really haven't used the dried foods for anything else. The dried fruits I use in baking or as dried snacks. For a stir fry I would use veggies that haven't been dried.

Greg44
7-12-11, 11:36am
Started cutting my own hair after the lady at MasterCuts said, you could do this at home! She was right, saves $ 150.00 yr.
Bill pay online - so easy and saves me about $ 5.28 per month, $ 63.36 per year.
Started redeeming my & co-workers soda & water bottles, instead of tossing in recycle bin $ 75.00yr earned.
Try to use "1/2 as much" home products, products last twice as long, per year savings ?
Changed to free checking, though more & more hoops to jump through to keep it free, saves $ 96.00 per year.
Switched to liability only on my little work car, $ 92.68 per year savings - thought it would have been more.
Use my re-fill McDonald's soda cup at McD or convenience store by my work saves between .10 - .50 ct ea refill.
Switched to smallest trash bin our service uses - saves $ 79.20 year.
Ride my bike/walk to work several days a week - saves $ 165. year
Take my own lunch to work several days a week - saves $ 700. per year - WOW and that is on the conservative side.
Take my own bags to grocery store - save .06 ct per bag per visit.

treehugger
7-12-11, 11:42am
Thanks for reminding me, Greg. Cutting my husband's hair is a fairly new repeat frugal for us. He first started allowing me (it was his idea; I would never have suggested it!) 4 or 5 months ago. His uncle (a former hair stylist) bought us the clippers and gave me a lesson. We save $25 a month.

Kara

frugal-one
7-12-11, 10:47pm
thanks thinkgreen!

frugal-one
7-29-11, 4:37pm
Yeah... today I found a foaming soap pump at a yard sale. It is filled with BB&B soap now but will be great to reuse. Thanks for the idea!

pony mom
7-29-11, 10:13pm
Nothing new to offer here but I'll list a few.
Definitely use the library a lot.
At work I think I'm the only person who doesn't use disposable eating utensils, plates, cups, etc.
Been using cloth menstrual pads for 5 yrs now and will never go back.
Dilute my beloved Dr. Bronner's peppermint as a shower gel.
I keep almost-empty containers of things turned upside down to get out every little bit; some things I'll add water to as well.
Luckily I get fantastic free haircuts and $10 highlights at work : )
Wear clothes at least twice if I can.
Switched to Virgin PayLo phone for $20/mo. for 400 minutes. Only saving myself $15/mo. but I'm not paying for an excessive amount of minutes I'll never use.
Research every purchase before buying--mostly read online reviews. Let someone else make an expensive mistake and learn from them.
IF I'm ever hired to work at my local library (I think they only hire from within the system), I will try to walk the 2 miles there as often as I can.
Rarely eat out.

Most importantly, I stay out of stores as much as possible because it's too tempting to buy something.

flowerseverywhere
7-29-11, 11:06pm
ride my bike everywhere.
DH teaches some classes at the YMCA, I always go when he teaches and walk the treadmill. we both shower there which greatly reduces our hot water.
I save every receipt and if something breaks or doesn't work out I bring it back.
Don't shop. I stay out of the stores altogether for months except for groceries. My friend was talking about a great deal she got on a purse (still $135) and I had never heard of the brand. She was shocked. I was shocked someone would pay that much for a purse.
Stopped coloring my hair. Now it is short and natural - way less shampoo and no chemicals on my head. It has to be better for me.
Using up a lot of fabric I have in my stash and have made a bunch of baby quilts and a few quilts for wedding with stuff I have in the house.
clothesline drying.
huge veggie garden which we are really enjoying now.

Mrs-M
7-30-11, 12:56am
Originally posted by Pony mom.
Been using cloth menstrual pads for 5 yrs now and will never go back.Yes, that was my exact thought when I made the switch some 6-7 years ago!

Selah
7-30-11, 8:41am
I cut and color my own hair. I stopped getting manicures and facials YEARS ago and now only do my nails for very special occasions and performances. I keep clutter from coming into the house and get rid of any that I acquire by selling them or donating them, once I'm done using them. (My family knows I'm a reader so they often send me books, so they are easy to sell or donate when I'm done with them.)

I am SLOWLY transtioning to cooking as a hobby and experimenting with world cuisines that are light on meat...DH likes this because it keeps the food bill low, the clutter down, and he gets to eat the product of my labor!

I have trained myself to use far fewer paper towels than I ever did, and I stopped using paper napkins YEARS ago. Now I don't even like using them...they feel scratchy and unpleasant.

I gave up retail shopping as a leisure activity and as a form of self-medication. I identified my personal gazingus pins and stopped buying them, full stop.

I also stopped pursuing any kind of collection as a hobby. No more collecting hats, jewelry, books, Art Deco items, etc., etc. Really, those things were just another form of gazingus pins.

With all the free time I had when I stopped shopping for crap I didn't need, I then thought long and hard about what new activities I could take up. Instead of choosing expensive ones (I used to go to restaurants and movies a LOT), I took up inexpensive or free ones (meditation, walking, working out at home, volunteer work, being part of a congregation). What a difference in my quality of life and peace of mind! I read and re-read Thomas Stanley's "The Millionaire Next Door" and tried to cultivate the spending/not-spending habits and use of leisure time of the truly wealthy...not the nouveau riche that I was once, briefly, part of and caught up in. It took losing EVERYTHING and then struggling to adjust to my newly-divorced circumstances to get real about all this and make serious, lasting changes.

pony mom
7-30-11, 11:24pm
Ooh! Forgot to mention my homemade deodorant, hands down (or arms down) the most effective ever. Coconut oil, baking soda and cornstarch.

It's funny how many of us do the same things here, yet many people who aren't frugal wouldn't even consider doing a lot of these things. And it all just becomes second nature.

Tiam
7-30-11, 11:53pm
What an awesome thread!

@thinkgreen--I am glad the dryer tip is working for you. My dad still swears by the other way (hang first, soften in dryer for a a minute or two after), but the reverse works better for me. :)

I thought of another one--using half or less than the recommended amount of things. Half (or even a third0 of a dryer sheet, half a pump of homemade foaming soap, just a dime-sized blob of shampoo, etc. I promise that I (and my stuff) is still perfectly clean! :-)

I can say I don't use dryer sheets and have a line hung above my dryer that I use for hanging laundry. But a dime size of shampoo wouldn't even lather half of my hair. I do cut the shampoo with water though.