PDA

View Full Version : Software to block certain sites?

Bastelmutti
1-6-11, 4:24pm
I work by myself, so I only have myself to answer to if I goof off, i.e., <cough> visit this site <cough> or Facebook or something during work hours. The occasional break is OK, but the boss in me says I've been spending too much time on "fun stuff"! :0

I recently read about programs you can install to block your computer from accessing certain sites during certain times of the day, say Facebook is blocked from 9-5. Does anyone know a good one?

iris lily
1-6-11, 5:59pm
good luck with that, and for $25 per visit I'll come and give you a dressing down and will red ink a report of yours, just to get a "boss" vibe into your workplace.:) If you can't afford that, I'll send to you daily a chiding messages asking where project X or report Y is, all for $5 /day. Let me know which one you want.

Bootsie
1-6-11, 6:44pm
In Internet Explorer, you can block sites yourself. I'm sure you can do the same thing with other browsers, I just don't know how. In Explorer, do these steps:

Click TOOLS drop-down menu
Click INTERNET OPTIONS
Click the CONTENT tab
In the "Content Advisor" section, click SETTINGS
(A pop-up window will appear to allow the program to run and to set a password)
Select the APPROVED SITES tab
In the "Allow this Website" box, type in the website address you want to block
Click NEVER
Click OK

Now the website will be blocked on your computer. You can still access it by going through the above steps and removing it from the "Disapproved Sites" list. So, this doesn't really block it for only your working hours as you'd like to do, but the steps to unblock a site are enough to keep me from accessing sites that were sucking my time. This method has broken bad web surfing habits I had. Perhaps it will work for you, too.

Bastelmutti
1-6-11, 7:07pm
good luck with that, and for $25 per visit I'll come and give you a dressing down and will red ink a report of yours, just to get a "boss" vibe into your workplace.:) If you can't afford that, I'll send to you daily a chiding messages asking where project X or report Y is, all for $5 /day. Let me know which one you want.

:laff: