PDA

View Full Version : Off the couch and moving...

Greg44
1-6-11, 7:43pm
:cool: I imagine I am not the only one who decided they needed to get out and be moving
(i.e. exercising) more in this new year. I thought it might be a motivator to report each day what we have done. Walking, running, biking, swimming, dancing, yoga, gym visit, sports activity, what ever you like.

I will start...I like early a.m. running. Well some might call it a jog, but in the running world - they really don't use that word anymore. If you are jogging, you are running - no matter how slow! Now that makes me feel better!

Anyway, I ran/walked for 3 miles this a.m.

Anyone else made this resolution? How are you doing?

bae
1-6-11, 7:49pm
I walk the dogs four miles a day. I practice bowie knife or saber about an hour a day. And my daughter and I fence with singlesticks or rapier about 45 minutes a day. When the weather is a bit nicer, I try to row an hour or more in the ocean. Or sometimes kayak.

earthshepherd
1-6-11, 7:59pm
my goal is 500 minutes per month of exercise, which averages out to about 125 a week. So far I am averaging about 100 minutes per week, so I need to get moving a little more! Great challenge!

Anne Lee
1-6-11, 8:56pm
I do a fitness class 3-4 times a week and try to hit a machine the other days for a total of 5x a weeks. I did go to class this morning. It's a new one for me Boot Camp at 5:15AM. There's nothing like burpies at 5:30 in the morning.

Since I have a UTI and hadn't gone to the doctor yet, I skipped the weight training.

kally
1-6-11, 9:29pm
I like the idea of so many minutes per week. I walk usually for 20 - 40 minute 4 days a week. But some days i don't get to walk and feel a bit guilty, but if I do so much per week that would work better.

So I will aim for 2oo minutes of walking per week.

razz
1-6-11, 10:18pm
I do the walking for a mile in the am and the same in the pm. I am so glad that I have the dog to guilt me into going out walking rain, snow or shine every day. Funny how many people check up on me walking and wave merrily as they drive by. I have added a walking stick to my right hand. I keep the dog under control with my left and now the stick in the right gives both arms some exercise.

Greg44
1-7-11, 12:38pm
up and out in the cold fog -- but did my 3 miles. It feels good to get out when the rest of the neighborhood is asleep! Got to get to bed earlier...

pony mom
1-7-11, 11:02pm
I love walking outdoors in all types of weather but since my dog died, I feel a bit odd and lonely walking on my own. However, I'm determined to get in shape this year. Sooo, I've got Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred video and I've been doing Level 1 almost daily for 3 weeks and have noticed changes in my body and stamina already. Started Level 2 a few days ago--Yikes! it's hard but each day is a bit easier.

Any type of exercise that pushes and improves you makes you look forward to doing more. Well, I say that now but we'll see how often I'm working out in a few months. Heck! A few weeks!

earthshepherd
1-8-11, 6:57am
100 minutes on the stationary bike this week. The weather outside is frightful, so no walking or swimming for a while. Well, I could theoretically go swimming. The pool at my nearby college is nice and warm year-round. It's the walk back out to the car with wet clothes and hair that buggers me!

Jinger
1-8-11, 6:42pm
Walked with the dog twice today and will tomorrow as well. Can't wait for my warm weather swimming routine to start up again.

razz
1-8-11, 7:24pm
Walked the dog in gorgeous fresh snow this morning with the sun just coming over the treetops. I put him on a retractable 25 lead and he can gallop around and get some extra energy expended. Was a little short this evening as I got home and it was turning quite dark. Frist thing tomorrow it will be another long mile.

fidgiegirl
1-9-11, 10:26am
I am in, Greg44 and all. I really want to work out a lot more in 2011. Have been trying since 2009 to get down to 140 pounds and I'll do really well for a while with my eating and fitness and then taper off, gain it back, and back to square one. Overall my habits and awareness have improved but now it's time for results!

Since the new year I've worked out four times, one swim, one day in the workout room close to my house, and two skis. I am trying to do something every day, even if it's a brief video at home.

:cool: Let's move it, move it! :cool:

Greg44
1-9-11, 8:50pm
Took today off (Sunday), but did add a mile to my "long slow day" (LSD) of running on Saturday. I always chuckle when I read running magazines talk about LSD's. Like how much slower am I suppose to go! The idea is one day a week you go longer, but slower than your normal pace. Anyway I added about a mile to my Saturday run. Surprising it went quite well.

Spartana
1-11-11, 2:14pm
"long slow day" (LSD). I always chuckle when I read running magazines talk about LSD's. Like how much slower am I suppose to go!

Ha Ha! I call those my "slog" days - to slow for a run, too fast for a walk.. it's a slog! I run (or at least slog) nearly everyday in the early morning too and do fairly long distances (hence most days are slog days) and really love it. I think that when the weather is bad and other people are huddled indoors is the best time. Other than my daily slogs, I ride my bike, walk my pups, and participate in several sports (currently martial arts and beach volleyball) on a regular basis.

Cypress
1-11-11, 3:59pm
I bought myself a new outfit for the year for a fab sale price. However, the fitting room mirror gave me a hideous view of my legs from behind. Yikes!! What a flabby sight. I never looked that chubby before. In September, I started taking regular lunch hour walks for 30 - 40 minutes. I have added 45 minutes on both weekend days. I plan on buying a set of bands designed for resistance firming and toning. The gym is too expensive for my budget and the loud rock music is a deterent to me, not an enhancer to move. I need to do more but haven't sorted out what else. I practice yoga twice per week as well.

lhamo
1-11-11, 4:03pm
I had my second session with the trainer yesterday. OUCH! I knew I was out of shape, but was kidding myself that it wasn't as bad as it really is. We moved muscles that I think have been on holiday for at least 15 years. I was in pretty good shape when I was in grad school as DH and I would go to the gym together several times a week, and I was doing weights then. So the goal is to reincorporate weights, build strength and flexibility, and hopefully the weight should come down at the same time.

I have committed to three sessions a week for the next two months, then two sessions a week for another two months. That takes me well over my goal of 11 sessions/year!

lhamo

Reyes
1-11-11, 7:21pm
Ihamo, is this a private trainer? If so, do you mind sharing how much per session?

fidgiegirl
1-11-11, 7:28pm
I went to my cross-country ski club last night and skied for a little over an hour. Tonight was 45 min. on the elliptical machine. Tomorrow is 30 day shred at work after school is done. Yeah!

I am also tracking my food. I typically don't enjoy this aspect of trying to lose weight but in my third day it is going ok. Helps that my willpower is holding strong. Oops. I just remembered some Oreos that I scavenged at lunch, though. Boo.

But moving! Keep up the good work, everyone!!

janharker
1-11-11, 7:40pm
I spend at least 4 days a week on my Concept 2 rowing machine at home. I compete in the world rankings, so that keeps me motivated. Folks, there is simply not a better form of exercise that builds cardio, strength, endurance, and uses gobs of calories. I've had people who don't know about my rowing make positive comments about my muscle tone. I'm 54 and quite happy working out hard while I'm sitting down. ;) And the machines cost a lot less than you might think. www.concept2.com (http://www.concept2.com)

lhamo
1-11-11, 11:35pm
Ihamo, is this a private trainer? If so, do you mind sharing how much per session?

Yes, private trainer at our gym. My husband has been working with him for the last 3 months with great results, so I thought I would give it a try, too. I'm in Beijing so not sure how relevant the prices are. Trainers here generally ask around 200 RMB/hour (around US$30). He is giving me a substantial discount and I'm paying 4000 RMB for 40 sessions, so around $15/session. That is on top of our regular gym fees, which are about $50/person/month. But I figure the investment in my health is worth it.

This is a local guy who speaks Chinese only. So I am also learning how to say things like "triceps" and "deep knee bends" and "geez I have no abs -- how do you expect me to do these leg lifts!" in Chinese. Nice twofer.

lhamo

Spartana
1-12-11, 2:25pm
Folks, there is simply not a better form of exercise that builds cardio, strength, endurance, and uses gobs of calories.

I couldn't agree more!! Ex-DH is a competetive rower (also did the indoor Concept 2 competions but usually raced 2, 4 & 8 person on the water) and he said it was absolutely the greatest, most challenging workout he has ever done - this from an ultra fit guy who did every sport imaginiable from ice hockey to boxing to ultra marathons.

Reyes
1-12-11, 4:47pm
So I am also learning how to say things like "triceps" and "deep knee bends" and "geez I have no abs -- how do you expect me to do these leg lifts!" in Chinese. Nice twofer.

lhamo

:-) Thanks for the price info. I was up and at the "boot camp" class at 6am this morning. Many push-ups and sit-ups later, I am limping around the house. It is amazing how the use of different muscles can cause pain:-) I've been an avid gym goer for 20 years and do pilates three times a week on top of my cardio/weights work, and this class is kicking my behind! I could hardly walk yesterday my quads were in so much pain. And I have to admit, I love the boot camp. It meets 3x a week.

fidgiegirl
1-12-11, 7:27pm
Did Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred after work today with some co workers. Uffda.

Three days in a row!!

lhamo
1-12-11, 11:39pm
:-) Thanks for the price info. I was up and at the "boot camp" class at 6am this morning. Many push-ups and sit-ups later, I am limping around the house. It is amazing how the use of different muscles can cause pain:-) I've been an avid gym goer for 20 years and do pilates three times a week on top of my cardio/weights work, and this class is kicking my behind! I could hardly walk yesterday my quads were in so much pain. And I have to admit, I love the boot camp. It meets 3x a week.

You make me feel better! I am in totally awful shape and probably need to lose about 40# of fat, though my overall weight won't go down that much as I replace with muscle. Pre-kids a good weight range for me was around 120-130, with good muscle tone. Right now I am at nearly 163. Ugh. My official goal is to lose 11 lbs/5 kilos this year. I think I can do that, and hopefully more. We'll see.

lhamo

A marshmellow probably has more strength than I do at this point. But you know, the pain is actually starting to feel a bit good! We'll see how I do at my session tonight...

lhamo
1-13-11, 3:50pm
Update: Yesterday's session went WAAAY better. I was able to do all the routines the trainer gave me -- not without difficulty, but I did them. A few times had to really push (the last few situps were a killer), but I did it. I am still kind of sore/achy the day after each session, but I can feel my muscles getting stronger already. Trying to fit in as much extra movement as I can, too. Walked home from a meeting with a colleague yesterday rather than taking a taxi (about a 25 minute walk). So roughly 45 miinutes of walking in addition to my workout (I have a 20 minute walk to the bus in the morning).

lhamo

Reyes
1-13-11, 4:16pm
Ihamo, how many times a week are you going? My muscles are feeling a bit better today, but still sore. I did go to the gym to do cardio this morning, then back to boot-camp tomorrow morning.

fidgiegirl
1-13-11, 6:54pm
Speaking of muscles: I am DYING today! It's getting WORSE as the day goes on! But my coworker told me the same thing happened to her the first time she did 30 Day Shred and that after the second time she did it, it never hurt again. Here's hoping!!!

Anne Lee
1-13-11, 9:03pm
I did the stairstepper this morning. It's been years since I've done it. However, I had a nice little networking moment as the Governor got on the NEXT stairstepper and through a this-that-and-the-next-thing I was telling him about the non-profit I work for.

Of course, I had no makeup on, my hair was wild, I was dripping sweat and I was gasping my sentences. Of course, he shook my hand and looked at me the way the good politicians do, repeating my name.

So, let that be a lesson to all of you who are thinking about wimping out on exercising.

pony mom
1-13-11, 11:10pm
Fidgiegirl, I was the same way after day one. I forced myself to do it again the next day and lo and behold---I was fine!! Yes, it's a difficult workout but very effective. My waist finally has a bit of a shape and it only took 4-5 days tops to notice it. When Level 1 didn't make me collapse at the end anymore, I moved up to Level 2. Crikey it's tough but isn't it thrilling to get all the way to the end?? Unfortunately as my waist slims down, my boobs are getting smaller (they've always been very small but when I had a bit of extra fat I felt enormous) but my lower belly pooch is slowly flattening. Yippee!!! Keep it up Fidgiegirl!!! It's only 20 minutes!

lhamo
1-13-11, 11:21pm
Ihamo, how many times a week are you going? My muscles are feeling a bit better today, but still sore. I did go to the gym to do cardio this morning, then back to boot-camp tomorrow morning.

My trainer sessions are on Tu-Th-Sat. Those are 60 minutes of mostly stretching/weights. I am going to try to get at least 30 minutes of cardio + 30 minutes weights/stretching in at the gym on two other days each week (probably Sundays and Wednesdays). I also walk to the bus every morning (20 minutes brisk walk) and when it isn't too cold or smoggy I am trying to get another 15-20 minute walk in on the way home. Sometimes that walk home includes lugging large bags of groceries.

My first session was on Saturday. I felt fine Sunday during the day, then did 40 minutes of treadmill in the late afternoon. Was extremely sore/stiff that night and the following day. Skipped workout Monday. Tuesday's session was pure torture. I was really weak and in a lot of pain. Pretty painful on Tues night/weds. Wednesday did 35 minutes on the treadmill in the afternoon. Legs pretty sore after, but the rest not too bad. Thurs. a bit achy but overall feeling good, and muscles feeling like they were actually getting some tone already. Today minor aches but generally feeling pretty good. I am surprised at how quick my body seems to be adapting. On some of the stretches yesterday the trainer pointed out I was already making significant progress -- could move several more inches than I could the first two sessions.

Fidgie, my pain got worse as the day went on, too. Trainer said that happens with some people. Has to do with how your body reacts to the muscles being pushed.

lhamo

Reyes
1-14-11, 11:26am
I had a great work-out at boot camp this morning. I am slowly becoming a morning person:-) My current schedule is cardio 60 minutes 4-5 times a week, pilates 2-3 times a week, and bootcamp 3x a week (this replaced my weight works-out at the gym).

Greg44
1-14-11, 7:02pm
I had a few late nights this week, but back up early this a.m. for a 3 mile run. I did feel a bit stiff - especially that 1st mile, but I finished okay.

fidgiegirl
1-14-11, 7:47pm
Boo. I took a rest day yesterday, which now turned into two. But tomorrow we are going to go for a ski.

fidgiegirl
1-23-11, 12:00pm
How's it going, all?

I worked out four times last week - a ski, a session of 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels, a session on the elliptical and a swim.

I am feeling tighter, slimmer, and like I can do more every time I work out. Yippee!!

SiouzQ.
1-23-11, 7:56pm
This is my 4th week at the gym, and I have been going 3 to 4 times per week. Can now do a solid hour of cardio ~ I walk very fast around the track for 30 minutes and now have started doing 30 minutes on the elliptical machine as well. I need to be careful though, as my left hip is really starting to hurt. Last week I finally got to the point with exercise where I now WANT to go and look forward to it, instead feeling like I "should" go. It's really true about it taking a full three weeks/21 day or so to adopt and integrate a new habit in one's life!

lhamo
1-23-11, 11:10pm
I hit my target of 11 gym sessions/month on Saturday, and will have three more this week. On vacation visiting the inlaws from Saturday and crazy schedule the rest of the week means that is all I can do. I can feel muscle-tone building and I am down close to two kilos this month. Off to a good start, I think.

lhamo

Reyes
1-23-11, 11:37pm
Ihamo, any chance you will be back in Washington the first weekend in February? If so, I will be in Seattle and it would be fun to meet:-)

lhamo
1-24-11, 5:08pm
Nope, too bad -- I'll be at my inlaws in Inner Mongolia for Chinese New Year, hoping my son doesn't burn the house down with the ubiqutous fireworks :) Enjoy your trip -- there are several other SLN members in Seattle, so maybe you guys can have a meet up!

lhamo

Greg44
1-31-11, 3:05pm
Finally got to bed at a decent hour - up and for a short run this a.m. (1.5miles) - felt good!

daybyday
6-6-11, 2:46pm
45 min deep end water running, 15 min bike ride ~ trying to do the bike riding daily, the swimming 2x weekly

SiouzQ.
6-6-11, 8:28pm
Today I rode my bike to the Salvation Army (3 miles or so), then on to Trader Joes (another mile) and then home (maybe another mile and a half). I just came in from a two mile walk.

daybyday
6-8-11, 8:39pm
started Taoist Tai Chi last night - loved it ~ hope my body likes it too!

cynergyou
6-24-11, 8:12am
New guy here - i've started walking regularly this past week (a couple of miles in AM, a mile in the PM) and plan to get back into riding my bicycle. A few summers ago I road my bike everywhere (to get groceries, to drop my youngest kid off at preschool, to take the kid to the library, etc.) - I logged over 1500 miles in one season, but I haven't ridden much since then. I need to get some regular exercise.