PDA

View Full Version : still sick

pinkytoe
7-4-11, 12:55pm
It is almost two weeks now and even after a course of antibiotics, my fever has returned to 102 today. It is really depressing to have this go on and on without any clue as to what it is. Neighbors are out celebrating with a Fourth of July parade and I am stuck inside feeling awful. I will go to the doc again tomorrow for another CBC but I am afraid their only suggestion will be more antibiotics. I am going to lose my job if I miss any more work...I need some positive moral support, anyone?

citrine
7-4-11, 12:57pm
I am so sorry to hear that you are still not feeling better. I would definitely go to the doctor asap. As for your job, make sure you have the doctor's notes, they cannot fire you if you are under doctor's care.

CathyA
7-4-11, 1:38pm
You need something like a ct scan. I'm thinking abscess or maybe something funky like an infectious disease caused by an organism. West Nile? Lyme?
What did your labs show? What was your WBC count?

redfox
7-4-11, 2:07pm
Ugh. My DH & all of our friends (except me - I had it 10 years ago) who celebrated New Year's together got walking pneumonia, and had a similar trajectory... fever, antibiotics, fever, etc., for weeks. This isn't by way of a diagnosis; just empathy. Please do get under a doctor's care ASAP. And blessings...

pinkytoe
7-4-11, 3:13pm
Yes I have thought about walking pneumonia. I think the doc wants to do a CT scan next. Oh joy!!!

pinkytoe
7-4-11, 3:18pm
Cathy, they did not share any of the CBC results except that sodium was very low. I was too out of it to ask about WBC counts etc.They told me to drink Gatorade all weekend (I wouln't drink that if it were the last liquid on earth) so I opted for coconut water instead.

CathyA
7-4-11, 4:03pm
I think you need a different doctor. Get copies of your tests and find a better doctor. An Internal Medicine doctor would be the best.

redfox
7-4-11, 4:34pm
Cathy, they did not share any of the CBC results except that sodium was very low. I was too out of it to ask about WBC counts etc.They told me to drink Gatorade all weekend (I wouln't drink that if it were the last liquid on earth) so I opted for coconut water instead.

Pedialyte has similar electrolytes, and can be flavored to your preference...

CathyA
7-4-11, 4:44pm
The pneumonia should have shown up your CXR. Although I was really sick awhile back and it didn't show up on an xray until 2 days after I had the first xray.
Are you coughing alot now? Did your doc test you for TB?

pinkytoe
7-4-11, 9:41pm
Cathy-Absolutely no coughing or congestion. But my lungs do kind of burn if I take a deep breath.

jp1
7-11-11, 12:26am
pinky, it's been a week since your last post. Just wanted to check in and see how things are going. Have the antibiotics helped? Any new insights from the doc? Hopefully you're feeling better?

Mrs-M
7-11-11, 12:46am
Sending well wishes and warm thoughts of good health and wellness your way Pinkytoe.

pinkytoe
7-11-11, 8:35am
Thank you for asking. I finished the first course of antibiotics and the fever returned so they prescribed another. The PA said she was stumped but said probably walking pneumonia even though I had no other symptoms. I elected not to take the second round of antibiotics she ordered since my fever went away a few days later and the first one made me feel awful. I am feeling much better but still very tired and now I have hearing loss in one ear most likely from the antibiotic. Needless to say, I won't be returning to that particular doctor's office.

Rosemary
7-11-11, 9:10am
I suggest trying to see an M.D. instead of a P.A.!

pinkytoe
7-11-11, 1:43pm
It's funny but the last few times I have been to a doctor, they have said the only way I can get in before two weeks is to see the PA. Waiting two weeks when you are really sick is not an option. This particular PA is all of 25 and still wet behind the ears. She even had to go ask the doctor for a second opinion on my case; somehow I don't feel confident getting prescriptions from a source like that.

Rosemary
7-11-11, 1:51pm
Hmmm... that is a problem. But I suspect that if you insist in an M.D. appt for an ongoing illness and fever, they will find one for you. Surely the office has emergency appointments that they don't book in advance? If not, there's always urgent care? But even there you might have to call ahead to make sure there's an M.D. available.

CathyA
7-11-11, 3:09pm
I think its time to get serious about your illness. Do you have a good hospital near you? Yes, it would be expensive, but if they are a good ER, they would do alot of the things you really need to figure out what's going on.
Its ridiculous for you to still have a fever after all this time. The problem might be with the PA (although I would hope the doc is overseeing her)...........If you trust the doctor, I would call the office and raise hell that you are still with fever and haven't seen the doctor.
You are losing time by tolerating this.
They need to figure out why you have the fever. If it is an organism, then they need to use the appropriate antibiotic. You seem to potentially have something like an abscess somewhere, or there's a problem with your white cells, not fighting an infection. Get on this!
(I'm not yelling at you. I'm just saying INSIST that the "medical professionals" who are taking care of you figure this out, or go elsewhere.........and soon.)

pinkytoe
7-11-11, 5:20pm
Thanks for your concern, Cathy! The fever went away a few days after I finished the first antibiotic so not to worry there. I feel much better now, just tired and wishing I could take a week off to recuperate completely. I actually think this may have been something like West Nile fever; we are inundated with mosquitoes here. Also something in our neck of the woods called murine typhus going around. I don't have much faith in any doctor as my experience is that all they ever do is prescribe pharmaceuticals.

CathyA
7-11-11, 8:45pm
Its good to hear that your fever is gone pinktoe! I've discovered that viruses and other illnesses can really leave you fatigued......sometimes for a long time. One time I had a fever for 4 days and when it was gone, I'd lost my sense of taste and smell.
Then a few years later I had a horrible bout of influenza and then pneumonia. That was 16 years ago, and I'm still affected by it. Just try to eat right, get sun and exercise and alot of good rest. I hope you're back to your old self soon.

baybay
7-14-11, 3:21pm
Just remember that if whatever you had was viral, no antibiotic will help. What all doctor's offices SHOULD do is take a sample of your blood and mucus and do a culture/sensitivity test to ID the organism and to see which antibiotic (if it is indeed a bacteria) that it responds best to and to make a correction when this info. is discovered (since it takes a few days). Viruses remain in your system and can take a while to recover from. I hope you feel back to tip top shape soon!

CathyA
7-14-11, 3:57pm
That's right baybay..........viruses can take forever to clear up! Docs are too in a rush to give out antibiotics for viruses. What's unfortunate is that docs feel that the patient feels like he's doing a better job if he orders something for them to take, regardless of if he/she thinks its a virus.
Sometimes though, a virus can cause so many problems that opportunistic stuff gets a foothold......and then you do need an antibiotic. At this point, if the doc didn't prescribe an antibiotic for the virus, the patient feels he/she has been negligent......which isn't the case.

Tenngal
7-28-11, 8:02pm
how are you? Much better I hope