PDA

View Full Version : Year-old bag of frozen cooked shrimp - still good?

Tradd
7-4-11, 8:22pm
I've had a bag of frozen cooked shrimp in my freezer for a year. I just never cooked it up. Is it still good? I can't find an expiration date on the bag.

Thanks!

CathyA
7-4-11, 9:18pm
Its probably safe to eat.....but it might not taste too good.

iris lily
7-4-11, 11:25pm
You people! Pansies.

We keep things frozen for years and they are fine, just fine. As long as they have truly been frozen, there's nothing wrong with them.

Honestly, we eat meat form DH's family farm that is years old, 4,5,6 years old and it is all fine. Is has slipped to the bottom of the freezer which is why it takes so long to get to it.

screamingflea
7-5-11, 1:01am
If you're worried, just toss it in the slow-cooker with a flavorful sauce. Maybe one of those jars of Pataks curry.

Blackdog Lin
7-5-11, 5:28am
I'm with Iris Lily on this one: we regularly consume food that has been frozen for well over a year (and home-canned goodies 3 or more years old. gasp!) I can't conceive of letting frozen shrimp go to waste just because it got a little old. I'd thaw it, give it a sniff test for edibleness, and then toss it in a kicked-up spicy pot of jambalaya.

Float On
7-5-11, 8:12am
Sometimes I think things don't stay as fresh in my fridge freezer as they do in the deep freezer. A couple of years ago I found a bag of frozen shrimp in my fridge freezer that had been there over 9 mts. I did cook it but didn't think it tasted very good, kind of old and chewy. Kind of put me off shrimp for quite a while. The last batch I used had been in the deep freezer for about the same time frame and it tasted fine.

benhyr
7-5-11, 2:05pm
Sometimes I think things don't stay as fresh in my fridge freezer as they do in the deep freezer.

Does your fridge freezer auto-defrost? Maybe your deep freezer doesn't? Also, maybe more door opening (if more frequently accessed stuff is in the fridge one) or more cold air lost when it is open due to the design (upright versus chest?)

CathyA
7-5-11, 3:15pm
LOL Iris Lily..........that explains alot! Just kidding.
We eat old stuff too, but the taste definitely loses its charm.
I think the quality of it depends on how often the freezer has defrosted and how often the door is opened.......which both create ice crystals on the food. That's one reason my big freezer is a manual defrost and not auto. I think the auto defrosts do it once a day.
Enjoy your shrimp! It just might do better in a casserole/soup/stew and not just as plain eating. It will probably be pretty tough too.

creaker
7-5-11, 4:11pm
Shrimp is definitely one of those things that can be much less pleasant to eat after they've been in the freezer too long. But your mileage can really vary. You'll know when you thaw it out.

Mrs-M
7-7-11, 10:30am
Catching up to this thread a little late, but how did you make out with the shrimp Tradd? I was thinking the same as a couple other members here, kept in the deep freeze, probably still OK, fridge freezer, probably not.......

Tradd
7-7-11, 11:15am
Mrs.-M, the shrimp is still in my freezer! ;-) I only make my Spicy Moroccan Shrimp dish, nothing else with shrimp. Although perhaps I should try something Cajum as that has more stuff in it than just shrimp, which would help hide if the shrimp was a bit rubbery or tough.

Mrs-M
7-7-11, 6:15pm
The Moroccan dish sounds delicious Tradd! Do you think you could post the recipe when the time comes? I'd be forever grateful.