PDA

View Full Version : Weird note on car - what would you do?

Lainey
1-6-11, 7:57pm
I came out to my car in the company parking lot tonight and found this handwritten note on my windshield: "this is my favorite parking spot. will you please stop parking here. I can't beat you here in the morning. thank you for your understanding."

What tha? I work for a large corp. with a large parking lot. Parking is free and all spots are unassigned. I've parked at or close to this spot on/off for years. It's not even particularly close to the entrance.

I find this borderline intimidating and I'm thinking of turning it over to Security. What would you do?

Dharma Bum
1-6-11, 8:05pm
Any way to watch and see who parks there when you don't?

Tweety
1-6-11, 8:11pm
Somebody doesn't have enough to do! This person doesn't get to work early enough to nab that one shining spot? Too bad! Sure, turn it over to Security just in case the wierdo decides to leave more than a note on your car.

Gina
1-6-11, 8:17pm
An unsigned, odd note? I'd give it, or a copy of it, to security. Keep a copy for yourself. You never know. Perhaps others have gotten similar notes.

So where are you going to park tomorrow?

Bootsie
1-6-11, 8:26pm
What a weird-o. I'd give the note to security as well.

redfox
1-6-11, 8:56pm
Yup, give it to security, AND park in the same spot, but turn your car around (throw the note taker for a loop) and leave them a note. With a pithy religious quote on it, one about being kind and letting go of attachments, something not aggressive and perhaps a bit compassionate.

Maybe this person is OCD and has a trip about this spot?

goldensmom
1-6-11, 9:02pm
To be safe, I'd also turn it over to security, management, whoever. Remembering my workplace, the characters I worked with, add the absurdity of the note - is there any chance it is a prank?

kib
1-6-11, 9:03pm
Well, I think it's especially weird because if you don't take the spot, the next person coming into the lot probably will. Is this wackadoodle leaving a note like this for everyone who parks there? If yes, that's plain strange, and if they're specifically trying to engage You, sort of creepy. I wouldn't respond. I'd probably give the note to security, but might just let my curiosity get the better of me - does the next person parking in that space get a note, too? Or do you get one if you park one space over?

jp1
1-6-11, 10:04pm
How bizarre! Like everyone else I agree with giving it to security. Or at least HR. We had someone post a much less intimidating note in our kitchen area about the inappropriateness of leaving dirty dishes to soak after lunch. I took it to HR (yes, I'm an admitted dish soaker, but I always finish washing and remove my dish before the end of the day) and they sent out an office-wide email reminding people that problems in the kitchens are to be handled by them, not by individuals. Perhaps an email from HR reminding everyone that all parking spaces are first come first served would do the trick.

Kestra
1-6-11, 10:33pm
Weird. Reminds me of the time this guy wanted me to give him back his bus seat. He had got up to speak to the driver and apparently I sat in his seat. Bus was only half full. Lots of weirdos out there. I agree with everyone else.

Tenngal
1-7-11, 9:27am
this is so odd that I think it might be a joke and some of your close co-workers are giggling away........

Crystal
1-7-11, 11:02am
I would be curious, too, to watch and see who it is. Chances are, when you find out, you won't be terribly surprised. Probably someone with OCD, as suggested.

Float On
1-7-11, 11:40am
I think I'd copy the note and add a reply and stick it under the wiper blade. "Thank you for your note, a copy has been turned into to the security office. As to the parking space - there is no 'reserved' sign. Maybe you could talk to the security office about paying extra for creating the only reserved space in the entire lot or leave your house a little earlier in the morning so you can have first pick if it's that important to you."

beckyliz
1-7-11, 12:31pm
HAHAHA! I'm sorry - that is just so bizarre. I agree, turn it over to security. This is what we call a "special snowflake" on the etiquettehell.com message boards.

ApatheticNoMore
1-7-11, 12:36pm
I'd probably make sure to park there EVERY day :laff: This is war!

Yea, might not be the most mature of responses, but I'm like that. :)

Lainey
1-7-11, 7:07pm
Thanks, all. When something so odd happens like this it takes me a while to figure out how to react, but I went with my instinct which many of you agreed with and that is to turn the note into Security. They were also appalled and are 1) going to check parking lot videotape and 2) asked me to refrain from parking there Mon and Tues and see who parks there. If it's the same guy 2 days in a row, then he's gonna be doing some 'splainin to the Security chief.

flowerseverywhere
1-7-11, 7:46pm
Good for you for doing the mature thing. You don't want to get tangled with some crazy person. It will be interesting if someone else parks there and they get a note. There is a fine line between being funny and being frightening.

Reyes
1-7-11, 7:46pm
I'd park there when it works for you, don't park there when it doesn't. However, I would not make a special point of parking there every time if you are doing so solely in response to the note. Life is too short.

flowerseverywhere
1-18-11, 8:00am
so what was the outcome?

Mrs-M
1-18-11, 11:30am
ROTFLMAO! I find it quite funny. How about approaching it in a light and joking way? Like leaving a return note under the wiper of your vehicle with something totally off the wall on it. Something fun and witty.

CathyA
1-18-11, 11:35am
Some people just have to have a predictable day. Some people's emotional make-up needs to have the same things all the time. Maybe this is what's going on?
I would have left a note for that person, asking if they were disabled, had a broken leg, etc........but it seems they would have said that in their note to you.
I'm not sure its a safety issue.........but I think you're dealing with someone who has to have their way alot.........for whatever the reason. If they aren't disabled, I'd keep parking there.

jennipurrr
1-18-11, 1:42pm
I have a person in my office lot who has actually had a meltdown if someone is in "her" parking spot. Spots are unassigned and fill up fairly quickly. She often comes in 10-15 min late and expects to have her spot. It is ridiculous.

Gina
1-18-11, 7:00pm
It seems odd now, but I too have a favorite parking spot at a place I frequent. When it is available, I am thrilled. Otherwise I don't much think about it.

http://www.simplelivingforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=156&d=1294385812

Lainey
1-18-11, 8:39pm
Well, it seems to finally have been resolved. Security couldn't catch up with the guy til today, and although he denied placing the note, he said he would not want to cause any issues and didn't realize what was happening on my end. (names were not exchanged, this was all done 3rd party thru Security and HR).
Basically Security/HR believe he was just acting like a jerk, but didn't seem to have any violent intentions. Nevertheless, they're talking with his boss and putting a note in his personnel file.

Jonathan
1-19-11, 8:22am
Depending on your state, your plate number might be linkable to you. I'd raise your antennae a little higher for the next month or so.

SoSimple
1-19-11, 11:34pm
Just a comment on OCD as it came up in this thread: I have a close relative who suffers with this (and yes, the correct word is suffers). He has certain routines that he must do or his entire day is filled with anxiety (to the point of panic attacks) and it sometimes seriously impacts his day-to-day functioning. So although this person in this situation may not have OCD (and honestly, obsessing over a parking spot is unlikely to be due to OCD), please remember that for those living with OCD it is like living in a constant state of fear - from mild, niggling anxiety to sheer terror, depending on the severity. Not something that is easy to shake off or deal with, and is just as much a mental health issue as serious depression, for example.

Those that have more serious OCD have intrusive, insistent, demanding, never-ending thoughts that insist that you have caused harm, or will cause harm, because of something you did or did not do. As it's been explained to me; you can't trust your own memory because your mind creates false memories that are almost as vivid as the real thing, locking you into a cycle of checking, rechecking, verifying, seeking evidence, trying to "prove" with something physical that you could not have possibly done that awful thing, or (alternatively) absolutely must have done that essential thing. Imagine driving back over a route a half-dozen times trying to reassure yourself that you could not possibly have knocked over that pedestrian you saw crossing the road because there are no ambulances or police in the area and no-one lying dead at the side of the road. It sounds ridiculous, but for those living with it, it's very, very hard to change.

I realize this is way off-topic (sorry!), but having watched a relative go through it, it's heart-breaking to see how damaging it can be so thought I'd take the opportunity to explain a little about what it's like for those who struggle with it. It takes a lot of intensive therapy to resolve: not something to be taken lightly.

Back on topic: I agree with Jonathan; be more watchful than usual. The whole thing strikes me as odd . . . (but not in an OCD way :) )

Velvet Blade
8-18-11, 2:48am
"Maybe this person is OCD and has a trip about this spot?"

I'm the same way about "my" parking spot... Been parking there for the past 4 years. And everyone at the office KNOW it's my spot. Not assigned or reserved and fair enough - first come, first served. But there ARE other spots available, which I then have to park in.

It upsets me immensely. Being Bipolar, I need routine and stability and things like this just mess me up completely and usually triggers a manic episode. Don't be so quick to judge others. You never know what they're going through.

And to be honest, I've also wanted to post notes on people's windscreens when they "stole" "MY" spot but didn't because I knew it isn't reserved. I also wanted to park right behind them to block them from going anywhere, but that would also be wrong, for the same reason. Felt like deflating their tires too but I'd get into serious trouble if I were to do something like that. But still, what is the obsession with parking on spots you KNOW someone else always parks on????? We are only about 10 people working in the building and they know who I am, and what car I drive, so doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that I always park there!!!!!!!! Seriously... The same way I can find another place to park (when my spot is occupied by some idiot) they could've found another place too!!!!!!

chrisganon
8-18-11, 10:17am
I don't know but this is hilarious!

jennipurrr
8-20-11, 11:07pm
And to be honest, I've also wanted to post notes on people's windscreens when they "stole" "MY" spot but didn't because I knew it isn't reserved. I also wanted to park right behind them to block them from going anywhere, but that would also be wrong, for the same reason. Felt like deflating their tires too but I'd get into serious trouble if I were to do something like that. But still, what is the obsession with parking on spots you KNOW someone else always parks on????? We are only about 10 people working in the building and they know who I am, and what car I drive, so doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that I always park there!!!!!!!! Seriously... The same way I can find another place to park (when my spot is occupied by some idiot) they could've found another place too!!!!!!

That is an interesting reaction you have, and made me reflect on issues I have had in the past with parking. There was a time in my life where parking lots were the bane of my existence. I had to park in crowded lots nearly every day and I was dealing with major anxiety and the parking situation really had nothing to do with my anxiety, but that is when I would lose it. Full blown panic attacks in the parking lot, sometimes I would finally get a spot and go cry in the bathroom or sometimes I would just turn around and leave when I felt I was going to lose it (with severe consequences of course).

My approach (under the guidance of a professional) was to use the parking situation to reflect upon myself and my mental state. OK, I am freaking out right now about the parking lot. Have I been taking my meds? Are the meds working? Am I getting enough sleep? Taking care of myself? Eating right? Do I need to schedule a doctor's appt? Can I do some deep breathing and move on? What else is going on in my life that my mental state is so altered by this small incident?

Maybe a similar approach would help you. I don't know your personal situation but I have issues myself (obviously!) and have some professional experience with severe mental illness, and to me it sounds like if you are experiencing with mood swings so severe related to trivial stuff that you can't self soothe enough to stop thoughts of violence or angry outbursts, that is no way to live! Saying I'm bipolar people should give me my parking spot doesn't really work in the real world. Its harsh out there and learning coping skills is the only way I've found for it to get better. And, I mean that from an "i've been there place, it can get better" not a place of judgement at all! Just my thoughts. I hope it gets better for you.

folkypoet
8-21-11, 7:40pm
Late to the thread, I know, and the situation has been resolved, but I just wanted to throw my two cents in. This thread confused me a little. Why not just let person B park there? If it means something (for one reason or another) to that person and doesn't mean all that much to person A, then why not? Why not spread a little happiness? Why not practice the golden rule/compassion/etc.?

(P.S. I understand a person showing the note to security, though I probably wouldn't have, myself. I'm just wondering about afterward.)

Lainey
8-28-11, 10:12am
folkypoet - for me, it was the sheer agressiveness of it. I'm a petite middle-aged female with a compact car. He's a younger, bigger, stronger male with a larger than average vehicle. I don't think he would have dared to suggest someone not park in 'his' space if that person was, for example, a co-worker of mine who is 6'3" and a muscular 275 with a very large truck.
Nor would he have suggested it if it had been one of the VPs who was using that parking space.

Finally, I agree with a poster above who mentioned the entitlement attitude of "snowflakes" - yes, I mean those of the younger generation who were raised to believe they are so special and unique that they should have everything they desire whenever they want it. (I know that doesn't describe most younger people, but as an example I read of a poll of professors who were alarmed to see the increase in their college age students who think nothing of asking their teacher to re-schedule final exams around their vacations, etc. - that's the attitude I'm talking about.)
It's not a bad thing to have to realize that you share this planet with billions of others.

With all that said, I do agree with your basic philosophy, and I try to practice it myself. But my practice of the golden rule can't be forced by someone's selfish behavior.