PDA

View Full Version : The kitchen floor in the summer

kally
7-6-11, 1:28pm
is it even worth washing. Every day grass and stuff come in from outdoors. The cats shed from indoors. The jam making, and fruit preserving and all leave it constantly needing attention.

Sometimes I feel like saying "I will wash it in September" How about you?

puglogic
7-6-11, 1:52pm
Same here, for sure.

leslieann
7-6-11, 2:40pm
Yup. Until I start sticking to it. Then I have to do something. But until then...whatever.

treehugger
7-6-11, 2:45pm
For us, it's dirtier in the winter with 8 muddy paws to deal with. I mitigate it somewhat with keeping a towel spread out on the rug by the door and the dogs are trained to stand there until their feet are wiped. But good luck training your cats to do that. :P

But extra rugs/towels by the door for tracking-in purposes might help. Dunno how to make jam making any neater though.

Kara

kally
7-6-11, 3:46pm
I don't think there is really a way with working in a garden at the same time. Some nice people have spotless kitchens, but are they in and out all summer long. Anyone?

iris lily
7-6-11, 10:20pm
Look, I don't care about dirt, good old honest dirt, or dried plant material, or footprints of same. So already I'm with you. I clean this type of thing about 2X monthly either by my house cleaner or by me.

It's bodily output of dogs that grosses me out and which causes me to wash the floor.

One of these new dogs has such disgusting habits that I cannot even tell you, it will make me gag sitting here at the computer. She is the Cutest Dog in the World but also has The Grossest Habits of any dog I've every had.

DH is so cute, he was raised on a farm and his mother insisted that all family members leave their shoes in the mudroom. So DH will come into the kitchen when I am cleaning the floor and apologize for making it dirty again. But I assure him that the floor getting a little dirty from his feet is not a big deal, I don't even care. I kind of like it when he comes in spreading bits of dead grass from mowing the lawn. It smells nice.

lhamo
7-7-11, 4:25am
We follow the Asian custom of taking shoes off at the door (outside in our vestibule, actually). That way nothing gets tracked into the house, and there is waaaaay less cleaning to do overall. We have been doing this for years, since even before DH and I got together, and I feel really wierd wearing shoes in a private house now. I do wear shoes to the office (but admit to slipping them off sometimes under my desk....)

lhamo

benhyr
7-7-11, 9:02am
We never wear our shoes in the house either... or most anyone else's house (there are a few where it just feels gross to not have them on, though). If my work boots are muddy then I leave them on the front or back porch. Only real issue is the dog in the spring. I'll either have him stay in the kitchen or on the front entry rug (depending on how we come in from our walks) until I get a towel and dry his feet off. I then just use the same towel to clean up the floor if we're in the kitchen.

But, otherwise, we don't really mind a dirty kitchen floor. We follow my aunt's adage. You can come see me any time you without notice, but if you're coming to see a clean house then make an appointment.

iris lily
7-7-11, 10:21am
We never wear our shoes in the house either... or most anyone else's house (there are a few where it just feels gross to not have them on, though)...

yep, mine. DH makes a point of always wearing shoes in our first floor. Not only are my floors never clean enough to eat from, they aren't clean enough to walk on without shoes.

Mrs-M
7-7-11, 10:25am
Looks like I'm the odd one out here. I wash floors every single day! :) I like clean.

jania
7-8-11, 10:00am
I so envy people with the mud rooms and the entrance ways. My doors (front and back) open directly into a room. I "try" to have a pair of out-door-purposed flip flops by the back door to change into but really, when I'm working outside and then have to run to the bathroom or get some water or the phone, gee I guess I'm pretty lazy because taking off those work shoes seems like such a little hassle.

Now, I will take my shoes off before I walk on a carpeted surface (mostly).

I broom sweep my kitchen floor every few days and mop every couple of weeks unless there's some big mess.

redfox
7-8-11, 10:12am
We have these strategies that help a lot:
Shoes off at the doors - garden clogs outside both front & back door for easy slip-on and run to the mailbox or strawberry bed :)
Cats are indoors only - no dogs...
Easy-to-wash cotton throw rugs (mostly from Goodwill) strategically placed - entryway at back door, at sink area, at counter area where most of the food processing happens, & in front of cat box. These get washed frequently, as do their non-slip pads, and shaken out in between washings.
Sweep or vacuum frequently
Wash as needed - used to be our DS's chore till he moved out, the bum!

I balance the need for cleanliness with a super busy life, now including 2 half time positions at national non-profits... the floors may get a bit dirtier, but we will finally be able to pay off the remaining CC debt, a few medical bills hanging around, and plump up that ER fund & our retirement funds!