PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have an Apple Ipad? Pros and cons requested.

frugal-one
7-6-11, 4:47pm
We are looking for an additional laptop and when at Best Buy they showed us an ipad. It sure looks like it would meet our needs. Wondering how others like them? Thanks!

Alan
7-6-11, 6:30pm
My wife uses one for surfing the web, watching netflix, collecting email, etc. Her only complaint is that Apple will not allow Flash to work with their operating system. This creates problems for her when she wants to watch train videos on YouTube with our grandson, it can only be done with a YouTube app. The flash thing is kind of a pain as you really don't realize how many websites use it until you can't get that content. She can't chat with her sister on Facebook as their chat functionality doesn't seem to work. You also can't print from an iPad unless you sync your document/photo/whatever with another computer and print from there. There are probably apps and workarounds for those issues, but unless it's free, she won't install it.

Other than that, she loves it. She has a Time/Warner app that she uses to watch basic cable and she has Kindle and iBook apps for downloading and reading her favorite authors. In my opinion, it doesn't replace a laptop, but it does make a pretty good websurfing/entertainment platform.

Tradd
7-6-11, 6:46pm
Actually, you CAN print from an iPad if your printer is totally wireless. That's how I print from mine.

Alan, does your wife's iPad have the current software update?

As for Facebook, rumor has it that there is an actual FB app for iPad in the works - otherwise, I've just accessed it via browser. That should take care of the chatting problem.

I love my iPad, but to be honest, it's way overkill. I've had it for about six months and I'm selling it to a friend whom I'm visiting for the weekend in about 10 days. She's buying it from me for about half the cost. I've got an iPod Touch (4th gen) as well as a MacBook and an Android phone. So I'm over gadgetized! I was bad and put the iPad on my credit card. Total impulse purchase I shouldn't have made. The money from selling the iPad will go right on my cc.

I read something on the web that described the iPad as the iPod Touch on steroids, which is a pretty apt description. The extra screen real estate is nice, but I much prefer to be portable and since I carry a very small purse, the iPod Touch is more useful.

The Pages app (Apple's word processing program) is great for writing short letters, documents. I don't know how it is for complicated docs, but it works fine for what I used it for. You can export files in .doc format to be read by people using MS Word or OpenOffice. Stanza is a great app, not just for free or non-DRM eBooks, but also for opening pdf files. PBS app is great for watching video online, same with 60 Minutes. Excellent as an eBook reader - I had lots of books on Kindle already. Battery life is great.

The CEO of my company, who travels all around the world, hopping back and forth between North America, Asia, and Europe, now only travels with his iPad. He said he's happy to go so much lighter. He just uses Pages, Numbers (spreadsheets - but it's much different than Excel and I could never get used to it on my MacBook), and the presentation app. These apps are only $10 each and he said they fill his needs quite well. He also uses his only iPad for work email at home.

I had the 16G wifi only, first iPad. It was enough storage for my needs, but if you think you might load your iPad up with movies from iTunes to watch while traveling, the 32G might be better for you.

I know I'm going to miss my iPad some, but as a whole, not very much. Whatever I did on it, I can do on my MacBook, such as watching PBS streaming video (I'm tv-free). Or on my iPod Touch.

benhyr
7-6-11, 7:18pm
I would be sure to also look at netbooks and other tablets as well.

AmeliaJane
7-6-11, 8:11pm
I love mine dearly. I have an iPhone, but the screen is too small for me to want to do email or web surfing on it more than the minimum. I have never liked laptops very much, and the netbook I had for awhile (before it croaked) just didn't have enough power for what I wanted to do. I use a desktop for working at home, more complex games, writing longer email, or anything that requires heavy typing or file manipulation. I use the iPad for: ebook reading (Nook and Kindle both have apps, but I mostly get library books using a program called Overdrive), watching streaming video on Netflix, reading email (both my work email, through the browser, and Gmail, through the mail function), net surfing, taking notes at meetings, and games as well as various apps (NY Times). Have not tried purchasing videos to watch, but will probably do that before a plane trip later this summer. One of my favorite "fun" apps is the NY Times Crossword. I have a Gen 1 with wifi and 32 gig memory. I bought it at a heavy discount from the ATT store--they were having sales when the iPad 2 came out. It does everything I need, so I can't see myself getting an upgrade anytime soon. My brother gifted me with a wireless keyboard for my birthday, which is also very lightweight and I take that with me when I want to do writing. Haven't bought the word processing/presentation/spreadsheet software yet but probably will.

It is also terrific for kids' games and books. My nieces love to play with me when I get it out.

I agree, though, I would look at everything on the market. What I love is the touchscreen technology, not necessarily Apple. I have definitely gotten my money's worth out of it.

fidgiegirl
7-6-11, 10:47pm
I read about this for using Flash on iPad: http://ilearntechnology.com/?p=4077

I would like to get one for my upcoming trip to Costa Rica in order to blog about the trip and to be able to keep in touch with home. Not sure if I want to spend the money.

We have many at school and they are so intuitive for the kids. And apps, apps, apps! There are soooo many for every need. I think we would like one at our house for when we are just browsing online or - gasp - in order to get rid of the TV. We spend a lot of money on DirecTV and I really don't give a crap about TV, but DH likes sports and movies. Maybe an iPad could replace that for him?

Let us know what you decide!

Tradd
7-6-11, 10:51pm
Fidgie, the thing with sports is that MLB, for example, won't let you watch anything online without paying a certain amount per season. If he's a sports junkie, the iPad ain't gonna replace the TV for him!

Perhaps Netflix might be a good option for your DH and just get a digital antenna for local TV? Is he into your local teams or distant ones?

As for your trip, you'd be better off with a small netbook. You can get a decent one at Staples, for example, for $300. Battery life is 6-8 hours. That's without looking for a bargain.

fidgiegirl
7-7-11, 12:12am
Ooh, Tradd, thanks for the tip on the sports. We might do that instead. After all, we already have the TVs and also have several converter boxes we picked up for cheap.

As for the netbook, but, but, but . . . I'm a Mac junkie . . . :( Brand loyalty costs, I guess . . ;) Though my BiL did install Mac OS on my DSis's netbook . . .

jennipurrr
7-7-11, 9:46am
I recently got an Ipad from my employer. I was reluctant to get one but since they were handing them out I wasn't going to say no. I haven't used an Apple product since the IIe, so I was a little nervous about learning a whole new way of doing things. Three weeks later and I love it. I have pretty much replaced 90% of my laptop use with the Ipad. I don't know if it would be worth the price tag over a laptop, but it definitely is a robust little product.

The only thing I dislike is when I have to type anything of length. I am not a texter, so I am not used to the little keyboard on the screen. The screen keyboard can be cumbersome. I also dislike the built in spell check. I was in a meeting taking notes and had several software names that were not in the dictionary. So, it was frustrating using the keyboard and having to deal with the predictive text while I was trying to take notes.

I have really enjoyed the e-reader apps. I was considering buying a kindle or a nook, and now I have both! Right now I am reading some older free books that are out of copyright. I also love the way the Ipad sets up email. I can see multiple accounts at a glance without setting up anything funky.

The Ipad is also much better at remembering wifi networks than my laptop. If the network is known, it will be logged in and ready to go by the time I am ready to use it. I drive across campus a lot and the wifi network goes in and out...with my laptop it would have to refind it, sometimes I would have to put in my password again, etc etc...but the Ipad is always logged on and ready to go. Then if I go home sometimes my laptop would still be searching for campus, but the Ipad knows switch to the home network without work on my part.

I have become a bit to into some of the game apps like words with friends (scrabble), but I figure my interest will wane with time.

madgeylou
7-7-11, 9:54am
jennipurr, you can turn off the auto-correct for text in settings.

i love my ipad -- it gets at least as much play as my laptop. i *really* love that it has allowed me to use my laptop as a desktop, hooking it up to a bigger monitor, keyboard, etc. isn't as clunky since i'm not moving it around as much.

like most it seems, i primarily use it for websurfing, reading, watching netflix and hulu videos, and playing games. for real writing i use my laptop or the wireless apple keyboard.

if i were totally broke i would not spring for one, but it's a great toy to have if you can afford it.

Stella
7-7-11, 10:36am
I love the iPad. I use it a lot for homeschooling. It's an amazing tool for that. I use a lot of the functions other people have mentioned too.

I have a netbook and I prefer that for writing anything lengthy. I also dislike the inability to use flash player, but mostly I love it.

By this fall we are going to be a two iPhone, three iPad, one laptop, one netbook and two desktop family (of seven), not to mention the roku box AND Apple TV if dad gets his way, so we do love our tech.

frugal-one
7-7-11, 2:06pm
Wow... you have given me lots to think about! I think I will go play with it a bit more in the store. Based on what has been mentioned here though, it sounds like a fit for what I want to use it for. Thanks!!!