PDA

View Full Version : The decline of the babysitter.

Mrs-M
7-7-11, 11:48am
Anyone else notice the decline in babysitting work wanted these days? Do girls not babysat anymore? I remember back when I used to babysit the paper would be full of adds just days after school was out. Seemed teenage girls couldn't wait to get their adds in and start making money over the summer.

I have been (somewhat) tracking this for just about as long as my oldest daughter is old. Not in a serious (stat type) way, but rather in a simple living way. My oldest daughter has been babysitting since she was around 12, younger daughter followed. (I too grew up babysitting).

Nonetheless, I wonder why all the lack of interest today? Not enough money? No longer politically correct (if I can use the term)? Parents fearful and hesitant to leave their children in the care of a stranger?

Has the babysitter, a household addition (and tradition) as we all know them (since the dawn of time) simply gone out of style?

herbgeek
7-7-11, 11:58am
I think one factor is that with 2 parents often working, there is no need for children to earn their own income. Parents might feel guilty for not spending more time with their kids, and so fill that guilt with money and things. I had to earn money early, because our family just didn't have any, but people in general seem much more well off now.

I think another factor is that neighbors don't get to know one another, and no one wants to leave their children in the care of a "stranger". Plus, unless I /really/ knew the family, I'd be reluctant to have my teenage daughter (or son for that matter) being driven home by a strange man, who may have been out drinking with dinner or after the movies.

Stella
7-7-11, 12:58pm
I know a lot of girls interested in babysitting, but I don't have a lot of money, so we don't usually get babysitters. When we do it is usually friends we trade babysitting with or we'll go out after the kids go to bed and my dad is home.

We're in an unusual spot in some ways. We have four kids and two of them are very little, so I'd prefer a slightly older sitter, like 15+. Many of the older ones charge $10 an hour, which adds up really fast. I use the younger ones, who charge $5 an hour, as Mother's Helpers when I am home. In thinking about my friends, I think most of them have family members watch their kids.

I used to babysit a lot too. In my mid to late teens I was a summer nanny for a couple of families. I was one of a very few people who was comfortable babysitting for one family who had five kids, two of whom had ADD and one of whom was an infant. I actually enjoyed watching them. They were so funny.

Tradd
7-7-11, 1:59pm
Hi, Mrs.-M! I've not noticed the ad thing, but I *have* noticed a lack of just requests for babysitter recommendations among friends and coworkers.

I began babysitting when I was 14. Due to age differences in my mom's family (she was the youngest of many children), my first cousins were just beginning their families when I was starting high school. So I had several families from amongst my cousins I babysat for. I rarely had to babysit outside the family. All the cousins had difficulty with responsible babysitters, so my being quiet and studious was in demand. ;-) One couple bowled every other weekend in the winter, so they were my regular job and I babysat for other cousins occasionally.

I did this all through high school. I much preferred to to working fast food, especially since the kids were young and usually asleep!

kally
7-7-11, 2:17pm
I think a lot of young people have part time jobs today.

ApatheticNoMore
7-7-11, 2:39pm
I don't know. I think the number of young people who can't find low wage jobs is actually quite high now. But I can totally see how people would not want to trust strangers babysitting their kids.

Never babysat, my parents very strongly discouraged working when I was young (it might distract from studying which was more important for my future of course). I don't think I ever would have thought of babysitting if I did decide to work, when I floated the idea of getting a job (repeatedly) by my parents I was thinking things like filling out an application at Micky D's and the like.

treehugger
7-7-11, 3:04pm
I can't comment on the state of babysitting today, since I don't have children, but I was a regular babysitter from age 11 to age 15. I only did it because I needed the income, and that was the only way for someone that age to earn money; I didn't really enjoy it.

I lived in a neighborhood with lots of young families, so there were lots of potential clients. Word got around that I was dependable, and kids liked me well enough, so I never wanted for jobs. However, as soon as I could get a "real" job at age 15, I never babysat again.

It certainly wouldn't surprise me if teens today were interested in alternative ways to earn money, rather than babysitting, plus, like others have mentioned, many parents aren't willing to use non-related babysitters.

Kara

Perplexa
7-7-11, 3:09pm
It seems to me that, at least among some segments of parents, there has been a rise in "helicopter parenting" in the last decade or so. There are many parents who won't let their ten or eleven year old child stay home alone or walk to school alone. I've noticed some fairly obvious changes: when I was in elementary school (20 years ago), 4th and 5th graders were street crossing guards for younger children who walked to school. Now, our local *middle* school has adult crossing guards. Parents who expect that degree of protection certainly aren't going to leave their (younger) children home with a 12 or 13 year old babysitter. I suppose that wouldn't stop teenagers from looking for babysitting work, but if they grew up with parents like that (or in a culture that expects that children aren't responsible) it may not occur to them that a young teenager could babysit. Of course, I think all that only goes for some segments of the population, but it may be a factor.

Aqua Blue
7-7-11, 3:22pm
The teen kids I know aren't very comfortable with younger children. They have grown up in 2 child families without younger cousins etcso they have no baby experience.

Greg44
7-7-11, 3:29pm
Our two youngest girls babysat. Our middle dd had one family that would schedule their nights out around my dd's availability - and they paid well! Our youngest dd - babysits whenever she can, also feeds the neighbor's dogs when they are out of town,
and currently picking up mail, feeding cat/chickens, etc. for another family she babysits who are on vacation.

I remember when we got a good sitter they were like gold. It was refreshing to come home and have the toys picked up, dinner dishes done & leftovers put in the fridge.

Growing up (just my brother and I) we of course did not babysit - but the moment school was out we were picking strawberries, stringing pole beans, picking beans, etc. right up until the time school started again. There just aren't those opportunities anymore in our area.

IshbelRobertson
7-7-11, 5:31pm
When my children were young and we were based here at home in the UK, I found that most of my babysitting was done by other parents in the street/vicinity. We had a system of tokens - each one valid for an hour. We uesd to look after our children - no teenagers involved.

Mrs-M
7-7-11, 5:59pm
So nice hearing form you all. Lots of great insight. I never gave any thought to double income homes or helicopter parenting. So true.

I'm in my 40's and back in my teen days everyone babysat, well, aside from boys, but still, it was almost like a prerequisite of sorts. An automatic thing if you will. Babysitting in the 80's was still strong and alive (I remember), because all of us girls who hung around together throughout middle school/senior high all babysat. Then it seemed to slowly taper off from there. My oldest was born in 1992 and I didn't use a sitter for her or the next in line, but by the time our third came along I employed the help of two girls, one in her late teens, one in her early 20's. They more or less filled in for us when grandma #1 and 2 and the aunties weren't available, but still, it was slim pickings to find the two I found at the time. Adds were few and far between and I even resorted to getting a couple neighbourhood moms to cover for me until I had things squared away.

However, adds seems to be nonexistent these days. I just find it strange, particularly when my oldest daughter tells me few of her friends babysit, or ever did. Saving to buy things with babysitting money was the highlight of my life back then! A new pair of jeans, a fancy top, an outing, it was all within my grasp. Even my cigarette money came from babysitting.

Just seems the dynamics of society has changed so much today. Definitely not like it used to be, but then again, I guess one could say that about every generation before them.

Mrs-M
7-7-11, 6:05pm
Ishbel. I love the sounds of the system you speak of. A neighbourhood mother and I used to swap babysitting with one another and boy was that ever handy! We never charged (of course), and being that we lived right next door to one another and we were both stay-at-home moms, scheduling was never an issue.

Mrs-M
7-7-11, 6:08pm
Originally posted by Greg44.
I remember when we got a good sitter they were like gold. It was refreshing to come home and have the toys picked up, dinner dishes done & leftovers put in the fridge.Boy do I hear you on that! :)

Rosemary
7-7-11, 6:15pm
We mostly do childcare swaps with friends, both during the daytime and in evenings. On the rare occasion that DH and I want to do something later in the evening, we get a babysitter, which always at least doubles the cost of the evening. In our area, a babysitter around 18 years old who can drive to/from our house gets $8/hour for 1 child or $10/hour for 2 children. All I can say is --- wow. (back in my teens, I think I earned $2/hour for 2 kids, and I walked to their house)

Mrs-M
7-7-11, 6:28pm
Originally posted by Rosemary.
In our area, a babysitter around 18 years old who can drive to/from our house gets $8/hour for 1 child or $10/hour for 2 children. All I can say is --- wow. (back in my teens, I think I earned $2/hour for 2 kids, and I walked to their house)LMAO! So true Rose! I remember one babysitting job where I used to take the bus to and from (on my own dime)! :laff: Talk about spending my earnings before I even earned them! I remember making $1/hour at that time. Big money in those days for a sitter. :D

Mrs-M
7-7-11, 7:10pm
Herbgeek. I've been thinking about all the things you guys mentioned. i.e. Neighbours not knowing one another nowadays. Gosh, that's such a big one isn't it. Back when I was a kid everyone knew everyone, and everyone watched over everyone's places, their kids, their things, everything. It put today's example of neighbourhood watch to shame.

Stella. I was lucky in the way of mothers helpers with my last three. With my last born, my oldest daughter was old enough to take on all baby care responsibilities completely and totally independent of any help from me, and she did, then with our last two, my youngest daughter was old enough to take on the same role. What a blessing it was. Until I actually had them working along side me, feeding, changing, helping with meals and laundry, and everything and anything else needing addressed in between, I would have never in a million years realized what an extra set of helping hands (or two) could do for a busy moms sanity! :)

Tradd. In-family babysitters are the best. As a mom- I know (for a fact) that having you available to babysit for your family was such a relief for all those involved. I felt at ease and completely comfortable with the two babysitters we had, but nothing made me feel more at home and relaxed than when my mom, my husbands mom, my older sister, or my SIL babysat for us. I could truly let my hair down when they were in control.

Kally. Yeah, maybe it is a sign of the times and reflects the importance of an early start to a formal education. Excellent point.

ApatheticNoMore. In many ways I wish I had the same upbringing as you. My mom would actually go out of her way to line up babysitting work and any/all other work/jobs for us kids when we were growing up. And if that weren't bad enough, she'd tell the people involved (looking for the help) that they could 100% count on us!!! That one used to chap my butt!

Treehugger. And one more great point. I agree, I think kids today have bigger dreams and aspirations than many of us did back when we were the same age. Everything has changed today (dynamic wise). For instance, when I was growing up all I had on my mind was to get married, make a few babies, and live happily ever after. Society has definitely moved away from that today. Hence fewer marriages, fewer families (children), etc.

Perplexa. Your point on helicopter parenting is a solid one and a good one. Never even gave any thought to it before you mentioned it.

Aqua Blue. I totally agree, today's teen population is definitely not as baby/child savvy as we were 20-30 years ago.

Greg44. Many great point Re: small jobs for younger people. Back in my day everything (all things) were readily available to those wanting to do them. For instance, for three summers (in a row) I delivered telephone directories to homes around our town. I was all of about 10 at the time, but it was an excellent introduction for a kid wanting to earn a little spending money. Jobs like that and the ones you mention simply do not exist anymore.

Tradd
7-7-11, 7:29pm
I know plenty of older folks who would like to pay a neighborhood teen to cut their grass and shovel their snow rather than a lawn service. When I've mentioned it to the parents of strong teen boys, the parents tell me the kids refuse to do it. We had a blizzard with 21" of snow here in February. The kids could have made a killing, but they didn't want to do it, even the older teens who know how to work a snow blower.

That's for the boys, as for the girls - well, why can't they help do lighter yard work (if they don't want to do the heavier stuff), help an older person with light house cleaning, etc.? These could all be people they know, lots of us have older relatives that want to stay in their homes, but need some help, and no doubt would be happy to pay a younger relative something for helping them out.

JaneV2.0
7-7-11, 7:45pm
I was in the same camp as ApatheticNoMore--my work was doing well in school. And I only babysat (for relatives) under extreme duress. I think young people have lots more choices these days, all to the good.

Bronxboy
7-7-11, 8:46pm
One thing not mentioned is that many children go to daycare, and therefore have regular caregivers only too happy for extra income from evening babysitting.

Yppej
7-7-11, 8:52pm
I can't help but wonder if cases like the nanny who allegedly shook a baby to death in the Boston area have had an impact. The media really plays up the trials and I think some parents must wonder: If an adult trained as a nanny could do this, what about an untrained teen frustrated with a howling baby?

redfox
7-7-11, 11:03pm
Why o why did I have an immediate picture in my head of a babysitter dressed in Goth clothing, heavy black eyeliner, smoking a cig, listening to whatever is current with the Goth crowd, and staring at her charge as it sits glumly behind the bars of its playpen?

Decline of the Babysitter. A novelette available at the Dime Store. (Another vanishing thing...)
:)

Mrs-M
7-7-11, 11:59pm
Tradd. I've noticed the same trend, too. I remember the telephone ringing in our home one early evening (back when I still lived at home). It was an elderly neighbour needing a bulb changed in her entryway. Can't remember who exactly answered her call, but I do remember dear brother was sent over immediately to help her. Moral of the story, everyone back then was always so willing to help one another out.

Another time I remember dear brother helping shovel out two neighbours places (back to back after doing ours). Poor guy came inside afterwards looking like a wet noodle, exhausted, but the neighbours truly appreciated it. So grateful they were and so proud he was.

JaneV2.0. Indeed, in fact I'm thinking about it more and more ever since ANM mentioned it.

Bronxboy. Excellent point.

Yppej. Definitely doesn't do any justice for it. I often think about "what if". What if I were a new parent today, would I incorporate the use of a NannyCam?

Redfox. ROTFLMAO! Creepy part is, the babysitter you describe is probably out there and happens!

Miss Cellane
7-8-11, 10:34am
Another factor might be the changes in what families do at night after work and on weekends.

Growing up in the 1960s and 70s, my parents would go out to dinner parties a couple of times a month, on week nights. Not many people host week night dinner parties anymore.

Instead, many families with kids are in a constant whirl of activity that is focused on the children--sports practice, sports games, sports coaching, music lessons, academic tutoring, enrichment classes, you name it. My parents would drive my brothers to the practice field and drop them off. Today, most kids have at least one parent watching all the practices, instead of just the games the way my parents did. Entire weekends are spent with the whole family packed up on a trip out of town so that one kid can participate in a sports tournament.

I guess it's part of the helicopter parenting mentioned up thread. At 11, I walked a few blocks to my piano teacher's house by myself. These days, I suspect most kids would be driven. Moms never stayed around at my Girl Scout meetings, but my niece can't do Girl Scouts because my SIL doesn't have time to attend her meetings--because these days, at least for the younger kids, a parent is expected to stay with their child.

There is far more structured activity for most kids these days, and it seems to involve a greater degree of parental involvement.

Also, more kids' activities take place later in the evening. My Girl Scout meetings were right after school. But with more two income families, the parents aren't available right after school to lead activities, so the activities get pushed to later in the evening--right about the time parents back in my day would be heading out to a dinner party or restaurant or theater. A lot of baby-sitting aged kids don't drive and can't ferry their charges around, so the parents stay home to do it.

And some people just don't want to leave their children unless it's for work. A recent wedding I attended had no children on the guest list. I had to listen to a fair number of people rant and rave in anger that their kids weren't invited to the wedding. And they refused to attend the wedding without their kids. It was an evening wedding--the ceremony was at 7 pm, the reception, a formal dinner, didn't start until 8:30, there was dancing as the only activity--it simply was not a kid-friendly event at all. But there was considerable outrage that 3 and 4 year olds were not invited. (I can only imagine the behavior of the average toddler, kept up past bedtime, with missed meals, loud noise, and a large crowd of strangers.)

I know a lot of people will only consider having family babysit, to the point where, if they don't live close to family, they literally have never left their children with someone else. I wonder about the wisdom of this, because at some point, there might be an emergency, and they may *have* to leave their kids with a caretaker. I'd prefer a caretaker I knew, even slightly, to finding someone out of the phone book, in a panic.

I babysat a lot, starting when I was 13. Back in the 70s, I charged 50 cents an hour for one kid, with an additional 25 cents an hour for each extra child. I made enough to pay for my first semester of college, just with random babysitting.

Mrs-M
7-8-11, 11:50am
Good morning MC! Another great post! So many good solid points. I can't help but start with formal gatherings and functions, courtesy of the wedding you mentioned. Lately, so it seems, the more places I go, the more kids I see, and I don't think it's healthy to the degree many parents like to believe it is. There's a time and a place for kids and IMO weddings, formal family gatherings/get-togethers/functions, no kids allowed. (Period). And, that comes from a mom of six. I personally don't want to listen to a whining screaming crying kid while enjoying a relaxing dinner in the company of good conversation.

I'm glad the wedding couple stuck to their guns to kibosh the kid option. Good on them, and shame on the guests who opted out of attending on the grounds their young children weren't allowed, and double shame on those who attended and bellyached about it. But this is a classic case of how society has changed- and is changing. In many ways it connotates to me, "it's all about me and no one else".

OK, that's my morning rant! :)

It's funny about in-family babysitters. When my first two were babies, my mom (for the most part) was always first to step up to the plate to offer to babysit, and I truly appreciated it, yet there were times I actually longed for an outsider to come in and care for the kids. I know that may sound a little odd and maybe even a little mean, but my way of thinking was, if mom comes over she'll want to stay afterwards and have tea and chat and I'm so tired, but with an outsider I would have been able to arrive home after being out, pay the babysitter, see her out the door, then get on with the remainder of my day/night. I do think seeking help outside of immediate family is good at times. (At best, it does have it's rewards).

Now onto your negotiated hourly wage. Good on you! I was too shy (and business savvy challenged) to set a wage, so I always just accepted whatever the family paid. Early babysitting days, mid 1970's, (I remember .50-.75/hour), then up to $1/hour, then a few dollars per hour towards the late 80's. One kid, two kids, three kids, four kids, same hourly rate.

pinkytoe
7-8-11, 2:11pm
I think there is a strong element of the "child-centered family" that is fashionable right now that might be contributing. I babysat a lot as a teen back in the 70s but only for neighbor's kids. Parents were always going out and doing social things together without kids - much more so than now.

Stella
7-8-11, 2:42pm
Mrs M I am kind of surprised that you feel that way about weddings. At least in my neck of the woods weddings are not traditionally adults only evening fancy parties. I think it's kind of an odd trend that seems to have coincided with the idea that the wedding day is the bride's "big day" to be the princess and have all of the attention. Traditionally weddings, at least among the middle and lower classes, were family events to celebrate the beginning of a marriage and the beginning of a new family. Vows were said, there was a lunch ifor everyone in the church hall or the home. Children even participate in the wedding as flower girls and ring bearers.

I am Catholic and in the Catholic church weddings are considered a public event. The reception is private but the church is open to the public as it is during any mass. I don't think it was kind of people to grumble at the kid free wedding and people are free to do what they want. I eloped without so much as telling my parents. But I can't see passing judgement on those who chose not to go or those who bring children to weddings when they are welcome. My next door neighbor just got married and had a lot of kids at her wedding. They were all very good and there was such a loving, open spirit to that wedding of two families uniting as one. For me, the more impediments there are to get to a wedding the less likely I am to go. Having to find a sitter, having to travel, etc. all make it less likely that I will be able to make it happen. I think the "its all about me" syndrome is especially evident in weddings. People can set whatever rules they want, want but they shouldn't be surprised if others aren't willing to jump through a bunch of hoops to attend.

Anyway that was OT. MC you made some great points. I do think there are more structured activities for kids now.

On the topic of family babysitters, I don't think it is so much that people are afraid to leave their kids with people who aren't family as it is an issue of cost. Grandparents, aunts and uncles are free and often enthusiastic to spend time with the kids.

I wonder too if fathers taking a more active role as something to do with it. I go out with my friends in the evening when Zach is home. I also run most of my errands when Zach is home to watch the kids. My grandfathers wouldn't have done that.

Bronxboy
7-8-11, 2:44pm
I think there is a strong element of the "child-centered family" that is fashionable right now that might be contributing.
I don't know that it's any conscious decision to have a "child centered family". In our case, as two working parents raising a child (now in high school), we basically wanted to have our child with us or trusted parents of other children when we weren't working.

Since we didn't start child raising until past 35, we had done many of the things younger parents might be more inclined to go out for. Also, in a social gathering with both parents and children of varying ages, there is plenty of chances for adult conversation.

Bronxboy
7-8-11, 2:55pm
Mrs M I am kind of surprised that you feel that way about weddings. At least in my neck of the woods weddings are not traditionally adults only evening fancy parties. I think it's kind of an odd trend that seems to have coincided with the idea that the wedding day is the bride's "big day" to be the princess and have all of the attention. Traditionally weddings, at least among the middle and lower classes, were family events to celebrate the beginning of a marriage and the beginning of a new family. Vows were said, there was a lunch ifor everyone in the church hall or the home. Children even participate in the wedding as flower girls and ring bearers.

I am Catholic and in the Catholic church weddings are considered a public event. The reception is private but the church is open to the public as it is during any mass.

Interesting point. I remember my mother and sisters going to church weddings of neighbors we knew only casually.

I wonder too if fathers taking a more active role as something to do with it. I go out with my friends in the evening when Zach is home. I also run most of my errands when Zach is home to watch the kids. My grandfathers wouldn't have done that.

I would agree as I was comfortable keeping our daughter for weekends or longer when my wife's mother was sick. My father kept us frequently at school age, but my older sister was the one really caring for the younger sister.

Stella
7-8-11, 3:04pm
I don't know that it's any conscious decision to have a "child centered family". In our case, as two working parents raising a child (now in high school), we basically wanted to have our child with us or trusted parents of other children when we weren't working.

Since we didn't start child raising until past 35, we had done many of the things younger parents might be more inclined to go out for. Also, in a social gathering with both parents and children of varying ages, there is plenty of chances for adult conversation.

Good points Bronxboy! We have a lot of whole family gatherings too. The kids play and the adults talk. It's fun and I think it's healthy for everyone. Also, I like doing things with my kids. Zach and I go to historical sites, museums, festivals, water parks, nature centers, bowling, canoeing on the lake, camping, fishing, etc. because we like to do those kinds of things as much as the kids do. We do a sort of modern version of "card night" playing video games with other families or karaoke night with other families.

This thread has got me thinking about getting a sitter for the baby, though, so we can take the bigger kids somewhere fun and stay out a bit longer.

ApatheticNoMore
7-8-11, 7:59pm
Having kids at something is fine, the problem is when it becomes all about the kids. And it can easily slip into that focus where the kids are the center of attention. And having some kids be the center of attention at a gathering is not the kind of event that most childless adults are going to enjoy.

Mrs-M
7-9-11, 12:55pm
Pinkytoe. You bring up another important issue. Back in the day when I babysat, the 1970's, kids were always left at home with a sitter. No exceptions.

Stella. I'm OK with children participating in the party as flower girls and ring bearers, but over and above all that, no. Maybe my firm stance on the matter comes by way of me being a mom of six and being strapped down to a house filled with crying, temper tantrum throwing, runny nose, droopy pants, fit-throwing babies and kids for one too many years.

I know when it comes to adult oriented affairs, particularly formal affairs, I'd much prefer not hearing crying whining children in my presence. (I know that doesn't at all sound characteristic of my nature, and it isn't, but)... Most people I know (myself included) usher young children smartly off to bed between 7:00 and 7:30, so call me old-fashioned, but that's where young children belong, in bed and at home, not at social gatherings/formal family functions schmoozing with adults beyond their standard regular bedtime hours.

With that said, I do admire families who openly accept a free sort of arrangement related to extending a warm welcome to having young children participate in events and happenings, but if I were a betting type person I'd say a majority of adults attending formal functions would tend to feel the same way I do, that being, there's a time and a place when it comes to kids.

I know in speaking for myself, having a night out (away from my own kids) is always such a relief. Sure, as parents we all love our kids more than anything, but even loving and dedicated parents need an outlet and escape from time to time. Weddings, formal dinners, etc, are it for me. No kids allowed.

Bronxboy. Great points.

ApatheticNoMore. You are so right. Often, when kids are involved, it does become all about the kids, and to the empty nester crowd or those who don't have children, there's no doubt it would make for a less than ideal situation.

Stella
7-9-11, 3:32pm
Most people I know (myself included) usher young children smartly off to bed between 7:00 and 7:30, so call me old-fashioned, but that's where young children belong, in bed and at home, not at social gatherings/formal family functions schmoozing with adults beyond their standard regular bedtime hours.

I totally agree with that and my kids have a pretty strict 8PM bedtime too, but I've never been to a wedding that started later than 4:00PM. I used to work at a facility that hosted weddings and even Friday night weddings usually started by 5PM. The standard where I live is that everyone is invited to the wedding and dinner/reception and parents with small kids pack it up about 7PM and the others stay for the wedding dance, which goes late into the night. Kids who fuss are taken outside during the service or the toasting part of the dinner and older kids are usually brought home about 8PM or 9PM.

I've also never been to or seen an adults only wedding. Judging by the stack of pictures from the 1950s of my mom and dad at various cousins weddings I'm guessing the everyone-is-invited thing is the old fashioned way of doing things around here. I'm truly curious, are weddings a usually a late night adults only event where you live? Maybe it's a cultural or regional thing.

I do agree that little kids at a late night formal event would be a serious pain. Not fun for anyone. I also totally understand the need for adults only time. I have a regular Friday night Girls Night and a date with DH at least weekly.

I think you may have hit on another reason for the decline in babysitters Mrs. M. You and I as SAHMs are in great need of adult conversation and kid free time, but there aren't as many SAHMs anymore. I know that a lot of my friends feel like they get a lot of adult conversation and kid free time at work and want to spend more of their after-hours time with the kids. Maybe daycare has, in a sense, replaced babysitters.

Mrs-M
7-9-11, 9:40pm
Hi Stella. :) I'm straining right now to remember how old I was the first time I attended a wedding, but can't remember for the life of me. (What's the saying, first the mind goes)!? :laff:

Anyhow, one thing I do remember is we never attended a wedding as kids. In fact I remember what a big deal it was for mom and dad when they were invited to one. All day long they'd be scurrying about the house, getting their baths over with, helping one another get dressed (yes, I'm serious), then spending what seemed like HOURS telling each other how nice they looked!!! ROTFLMAO! Too much!

All fun aside, typical weddings I've attended, the wedding itself takes place early to mid afternoon, followed by the dinner/reception (anywhere from between 4 and 6), still, very few weddings I've been to had children present (young children). And by the time the dinner/reception was under way, no children at all. Maybe upper single digits, but definitely no one under 5.

Gee Stella, I do think you are onto something Re: stay-at-home moms. And yet one more identifiable point I never gave so much as a single thought to.

One thing I'd like to mention, although us kids never attended weddings when we were young, mom and dad always ensured we each got a sliver of wedding cake the next day along with Bonbons (Confetto). :) We always felt so important delving into our riches!

P.S. The wedding treats made up for being stuck at home with a babysitter! Hardy Har Har! :)

Tradd
7-9-11, 10:30pm
I remember being invited to a cousin's wedding when I was 7 or so. I wore the long blue swiss dotted dress I wore to make my first communion on my birthday at my parish (the formal thing with the whole class was a bit later), so I can date my age pretty close! :) I remember dancing up a storm. But that didn't happen too often - the being invited to weddings, I mean. I remember only the one.

Mrs-M
7-10-11, 12:14am
Tradd. If I remember correctly, there was one set of cousins at the time, young ones, who all attended a wedding, but as far as kids and weddings went in our family, we could all be found at home when our parents were out an in attendance. The blue Swiss dotted dress sounds darling! Dots were so in back then.