PDA

View Full Version : Selling some antiques- how to do this?

Stella
1-6-11, 9:57pm
I inherited a house full of antique furniture when I took over my childhood home and I am coming to the realization that some of it has to go. Some of it is stuff with a family history and some of it is just stuff my grandma had bought to make her upscale dress shop look pretty in the 1950s. The problem is that I have absolutely no idea how to go about getting rid of this stuff.

Mostly I just want the space back. The hand carved secretery with rounded glass book cabinet, for example, is pretty, but I have many small children so it lives in a dusty corner of my dad's room alone and unloved and sucking up space. It should find it's way to someone who appreciates it. While I'm not out to turn a huge profit on this stuff, I also want to get a fair price for it. How would I go about doing that? Who should I talk to? Some of it is artwork, so I'm asking my art dealer sister about that, but most of it I have no idea what to do with.

Honestly, it feels good to be releasing all of this stuff. It doesn't serve a purpose here and I'm tired of curating old memories for various family members who have moved on themselves, but weren't ready to part with these beauties all together.

redfox
1-6-11, 10:15pm
I'd recommend calling an antiques dealer who handles estates, and see if you can hand it over to them for sale, and wait for the check!

iris lily
1-6-11, 11:38pm
redfox's idea isn't bad about calling around a couple of antiques dealers although I wouldn't call estate sale pros--they run sales, not buy pieces. Generally, anyway. Some dealers will take some pieces but not others. Or you could try an auction house--they take consignments. But you've got to set a reasonable minimum and keep in mind they will take a chunk of the profit.

But really, if it were me, and because I shop antique furniture, I'd poke around on Ebay's "sold" files to see what similar pieces bring. And then, ask much less to move it.
And honestly assess the condtion of your pieces. That makes a huge difference.

Once you have an idea, snap a photo and put it up on Craigslist.

Congrats on cleaning out your house and freeing up some cash. Keep the pieces you love but free the rest!

Rosemary
1-7-11, 6:29am
I suspect that antique shops aren't doing quite the business that they were 10 years ago, and an estate dealer will take a big cut - so you might net more on Craigslist. Of course, it might be worth the reduced time to just have one person come and take everything in one visit.

iris lily
1-7-11, 10:44am
Rosemary, I'm sure you are rigt that antique dealers are taking a hit in this economy. But dealers have to make money, they've got to pay their rent and lights and booth fees so of course they are going to ask more money than Stella.

Just last week I drove out to the 'burbs, with DH and a truck and blankets, intending to buy a Victorian walnut sideboard I saw on Craiglist at a low price and in the style I've been looking at.

But when I got there, the condition of the piece wasn't very good. It didn't shine. They were asking $500 and in a antique mall, for a piece in that condition, it would have been $800, but still--it's not in great conditiion and that will cause the thing to sit around for quite a while.

The kind of pieces I buy have a pretty finish but are flawed. I like them to look nice unless you look too closely.

24prins
1-7-11, 11:28am
A local antique dealer who's been in business in the same area for a long time is probably reputable. If they don't deal in the type of antique that you're looking to sell, they can direct you to a reputable dealer who works with that style. Just remember that you'll only get about half of what the less expensive pieces are worth, since the dealer will sell a less expensive piece for about a 50% markup (not all pieces, since some are more expensive or more in demand than others and some dealers have a smaller profit margin than others).

Stella
1-7-11, 3:38pm
Thanks for the tips guys! I'm OK with getting a less money for it. It's pretty much found money at this point anyway. I'll ask around about antique dealers and auction houses. It is going to feel so good to free up that space for things that really suit my life!

Merski
1-10-11, 8:21am
Stella, high end interior decorators are also looking for interesting antique pieces.