PDA

View Full Version : We hired a window washer

kally
7-8-11, 4:50pm
to come 4 times a year and do the outside windows. Each time is $50.
We are the most frugal of people but this is a service that is so worth it. My dh and I are just terrible window washers and getting the ladders out etc is so hopeless.
So our windows are always filthy.

Some things are just worth paying for.

IshbelRobertson
7-8-11, 5:05pm
I have my windows professionally cleaned once a month, inside and out. It costs me GBP 40 - and is worth every penny!

Float On
7-8-11, 5:22pm
I must find some money for this kind of service. Cleaning windows is not one of my many talents.

catherine
7-8-11, 6:09pm
I have my windows professionally cleaned once a month, inside and out. It costs me GBP 40 - and is worth every penny!

Ishbel, I know I am always responding to your posts--that's because you (like DH) are Scottish--hope you don't think I"m obnoxious-- but I LOVE your posts--they remind me so much of my in-laws--and my mother-in-law always liked to say "One thing Scottish folk like is clean windaes." So, I guess that's why that's on your monthly to-do list!

redfox
7-8-11, 7:02pm

I am jealous.

rosarugosa
7-8-11, 9:10pm
Now this is something I don't mind doing, and I'm perfectly capable, so I would never dream of outsourcing the task. But we do have tilt-in windows, so there's no ladder involved. (It's still not as effortless as it may sound, some of those suckers need to be wrestled open). And our tiny little house has 28 windows! I can get into the zen of window washing though.
Hmmm, washing windows might be a good idea for a side gig.

herbgeek
7-8-11, 9:29pm
Oh crap another thing I'm supposed to do, clean my windows. ;)

early morning
7-8-11, 10:37pm
Oh, I AM jealous of your clean windows!! The replacement windows in our house (all 32 of them) tilt in, which makes them fairly easy to wash - with a caveat. Our walls are full of windows and doors - so much of the furniture is in FRONT of the windows. Soooo, to wash the windows, one has to move the furniture. The windows behind the piano (which is a non-playing player, tall, HEAVY, missing one caster....) haven't been washed in - oh - 7 years??? They are filthy and I simply refuse to look at them :|(. I would LOVE to have them washed a couple times a year!

kally
7-9-11, 1:57am
you know if I could wash the windows well I would probably do it myself. I have never mastered the art at all.

iris lily
7-9-11, 2:16am
Oh crap another thing I'm supposed to do, clean my windows. ;)

o sweetie, not. :D

ApatheticNoMore
7-9-11, 4:14am
Oh crap another thing I'm supposed to do, clean my windows.

Yea, really, I don't care if they are dirty, who cares (maybe windows get dirtier other places, I don't know, not like there is much weather to contend with here). But some dust on the window, who cares. :)

IshbelRobertson
7-9-11, 4:59am
Catherine
Your M-i-L was RIGHT! I think it's that Calvanistic 'Cleanliness is next to Godliness' thing that is bone-deep into Scots women (the men? NAAAH!) The flurry of house cleaning that goes on in Scottish homes between Christmas and Hogmanay has to be experienced to be believed. The house should have not a single dirty plate or garment or carpet or curtain or... well, you get my drift.

I have to confess, I'd rather pay someone to do all the cleaning than do it myself, though!

The weather in Scotland (four seasons in one HOUR, sometimes!) means the windows get pretty streaked and grubby. I have an old house and there are lots of very large windows, mostly sash-windows.

Mrs-M
7-9-11, 11:34am
Do envy all those here who have windows done for them. My husband is the (outside) window washer in our house, I'm the indoor window washer, it's a fine balance that strikes a happy note between us. One thing DH does when he cleans the windows is he removes the screens and takes the hose to them. That's my favourite! They come out sooo clean.