PDA

View Full Version : I'M TIRED OF IRAQ

Zigzagman
7-11-11, 9:27pm
Good God Almighty - How much longer do we need to torture the local citizens of Iraq? We have killed thousands of locals and yet even 10+ years we continue to either ignore the facts or play like it is important to us as a society.

Does you political attitude support a continuation of our wars or are we simply in a status quo mode?

Peace

Greg44
7-11-11, 9:44pm
Having had friends serve in Iraq - they feel we are making a difference - but I question how long we must stay there for it t make a lasting difference? Billions of $$ spent - and billions unaccounted for, really makes one question if it really is all worth it - both in money spent and lives lost.

Looking forward to others input on this subject.

puglogic
7-11-11, 9:49pm
When I look at the dollars being spent in Iraq and Afghanistan, and at the same time look at all of the suffering in this country that could be remedied with the billions/month being spent over there with no sane/clear objective (at least not one that makes a difference to most Americans), I'm not sure whether to cry or break something. We could be doing so much here with that budget -- SO much. I'm sure we're making a difference there, in some way. But I'm not next door working on my neighbor's home before my own is in order.

Zoebird
7-12-11, 12:01am
i would like these countries to rebuild themselves, honestly.

i do believe that the people over there are trying to do good, and will see the good that they are doing, but it's simply not a good enough result considering the cost-benefit analysis.

and, it begs the question if they could do better themselves?

Zigzagman
7-12-11, 9:31am
If I'm not mistaken the premise for our involvement in the Iraq war has been shown to be false, a fabricated justification. Yes, we removed a leader we disliked, yes we blew their country up, and yes we have spent billions, if not trillions of dollars and thousands of lives for our efforts.

At what point do we simply say enough. I now read that the US is pushing for Iraq to request that we keep 10,000 troops there after our planned withdrawal. How can this possibly be in our interest? Why are we not demanding this madness end?

I am reminded of Cindy Sheehan who camped out in Waco, Texas trying to confront Bush after losing her son in Iraq. She was mocked, called a traitor, and given the "Support the Troops" treatment. Also the Joe Wilson, Valerie Plame smear campaign by the Cheney folks. The Wilson's lives destroyed, Rove walks free, Scooter Libby pardoned by Bush, and on and on.

It seems we like to conveniently forget our transgressions in the name of patriotism. I think it undermines our nation to allow this to continue and yet still we find a reason to ignore the truth as if everything was simply a mistake - no big deal.

Now the economy, jobs, political campaigns are our priorities the war is background noise. I think the phrase that we have lost our "moral compass" is becoming more true everyday as we continue these crimes against humanity. Yep, those Muslims in Iraq are really human beings and if anything we have probably created generations of hate by our misguided actions.

Peace

Florence
7-12-11, 11:34am
Fiasco, just one big fiasco. Add in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Libya, Yemen (covertly) and probably back to Somalia. May I recommend the book by Andrew Bacevich The Limits of Power.

pinkytoe
7-12-11, 11:37am
We have a family friend who is an architectural engineer supervising "re-building" projects in Iraq and Afghanistan. He says business is booming for involved American companies. I suspect the money to be made from these ventures is huge and just isn't talked about much in the news. All the more reason to continue these occupations or wars or whatever they are as far as money to be made. Honestly, I think many Americans are too busy watching Dancing With the Stars to even give it much thought.

freein05
7-12-11, 11:38am
The people do not want us in their country so it is time to get out. It may never be free of violence or a democracy. There are none in the middle east except Israel.

kfander
7-12-11, 12:26pm
I am opposed to our continued involvement in these foreign wars - not only Iraq, but also Afghanistan, Libya, and any other country that we are at war with, whether we admit it or not. Quite frankly, we can't afford it any more; if for no other reason, this would suffice, I think. Also, I have trouble believing that we are there to help these people assemble a government more closely resembling our own when the same players are busily working at changing our own government to something most Americans wouldn't want. Words matter, and we are told over and over again that we are helping to support democracy in the Arab world, even while the government we are supposed to be living under here is a Republic. Those who don't want a Republic there don't want one here, either. Lastly, it does appear that the people we are supporting in all of these countries really want to establish, neither a democracy or a republic, but a government controlled by their Islamic beliefs. This is fine, if this is what they want, but should we be supporting it?

creaker
7-12-11, 12:42pm
If I'm not mistaken the premise for our involvement in the Iraq war has been shown to be false, a fabricated justification. Yes, we removed a leader we disliked, yes we blew their country up, and yes we have spent billions, if not trillions of dollars and thousands of lives for our efforts.

Peace

$4 trillion - and people wonder why the national debt is so high.

janharker
7-12-11, 7:48pm
I'm hoping that one of the first things to be cut due to the debt ceiling issue is this fiasco called Iraq.

This article in the most recent edition of the Utne Reader magazine offers us something to contemplate regarding "patriotism" and war. http://www.utne.com/Politics/Pledging-Allegiance-To-Peace.aspx

Zigzagman
7-12-11, 8:24pm
I'm hoping that one of the first things to be cut due to the debt ceiling issue is this fiasco called Iraq.

This article in the most recent edition of the Utne Reader magazine offers us something to contemplate regarding "patriotism" and war. http://www.utne.com/Politics/Pledging-Allegiance-To-Peace.aspx

Thanks for the post. I love the Tolstoy phrase “Patriotism or Peace”. It really fits our present environment.

Peace