PDA

View Full Version : About to be overrun with broccoli

benhyr
7-12-11, 10:02am
Our broccoli (calabrese, not sprouting) is maturing this week. I understand that, if I cut it closer to the top, it'll put out shoots like a sprouting broccoli. Any tips/recommendations on this?

Also, we have about 40 heads planted. If anyone is in the Lansing area and wants broccoli...

I'm also brushing up on broccoli recipes. We'll soak, blanch and freeze a good amount but I'm also going to make and freeze broccoli soups and maybe freeze or can a broccoli pesto.

and I've warned the neighbors to expect deliveries this week :confused:

puglogic
7-12-11, 12:19pm
A good problem to have! :) We are giving away collard greens in the same fashion (my favorite brassica)

treehugger
7-12-11, 12:33pm
I wish I was your neighbor! Have fun getting creative with your crop, and door-bell ditching the rest of it. ;)

Kara

leslieann
7-12-11, 12:37pm
What a fate! Wish I were there....

wallydraigle
7-12-11, 7:43pm
Broccoli is my favorite vegetable. Or maybe kale. Not sure which. But here is my favorite recipe for broccoli: http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2008/11/the_best_brocco.html

I use far less salt and oil, but it's amazing. If you don't want to do ALL that, eyeball the amount of oil you want to put in, shake on some garlic powder and kosher salt, maybe some paprika, and roast. It actually is very important to get it as dry as you can, though, or you'll get a steamed taste. Good, but nowhere near as good.

(I actually use this method for kale chips, too, which are probably the best thing I've ever tasted. I just put it in the oven at 350 for about 10-12 minutes instead)

puglogic
7-12-11, 8:20pm
Holy cow that looks good. I'm going to have to make that SOON.

iris lily
7-12-11, 9:51pm
Last year I was overrun with broccoli and I still haven't finished the bags of it in the freezer, and now tonight I noticed that DH has snuck in some of this year's crop.

Look, I like broccoli and all that, but there's only one broccoli eater in this household--me! DH won't eat any member of the brassica family cooked. Yet, he feels compelled to grow bushels of the stuff.

SoSimple
7-12-11, 10:18pm
Ship it my way, IL! I love broccoli. Plain steamed broccoli with brown rice and a little salt is just perfect. :)

Tiam
7-12-11, 11:14pm
Steamed broccoli, lemon zest, mozzarella/parmesan, salt/pepper on french bread and toasted in oven. Yum. I actually really love broccoli plain or just with lemon cooked till tender.

benhyr
7-12-11, 11:25pm
Well, we pulled our spring planting of peas two days ago so we had a broccoli and snow pea stir fry for dinner with brown rice.

I'm going to try something new tomorrow so thanks for the recipe suggestions!