PDA

View Full Version : Stupid tasks of hobby groups

iris lily
7-15-11, 1:33am
Oh, I moan and groan about this kind of thing regularly. I am so tired of my hobby groups taking on all sorts of tasks that someone has decided is so very necessary and then they recruit me and others to do those tasks.

I just say "no" if I think the task is stupid or unnecessary or (like a recent gig) the result of a series of actions that I advised against and didn't participate in.

So recently someone who heads up one of the plant societies (1 of 4 area iris societies, and that's another complaint, how many iris societies do we need within a 30 mile radius? doh--that makes me crazy) called to ask me to do something.

I was asked to watch for canvas bags on sale, buy a bunch of them, and then find stuff to put into the bag for those attending a convention next year.

I said "no."

I hate hate hate these stupid bags that are distributed at any meeting or convention I attend. I HATE them! I WILL NOT BE A PARTY TO THAT MADNESS!

Kestra
7-15-11, 8:00am
Yes, those bags are annoying. Just more stuff I don't need. Other people seem to like them though. Sometimes it works out as I've been using one for my lunch bag and sometimes I get a free re-usable shopping bag out of the deal.

peggy
7-15-11, 8:26am
I would think an iris club would hand out, you know, free iris bulbs as take away gifts. Or some other seed/bulb. Can you suggest that? Hey, combine your thinning your irises with this! Win win!

iris lily
7-15-11, 8:42am
I would think an iris club would hand out, you know, free iris bulbs as take away gifts. Or some other seed/bulb. Can you suggest that? Hey, combine your thinning your irises with this! Win win!

Oh I could load up them up with barrows of iris, but still, there'd have to be bags, wouldn't there?

NO BAGS!

Selah
7-15-11, 9:04am
I use these bags for my recycling, present wrapping, beach tote bags, covering messy things in the car that might leak, grocery shopping, and all sorts of things. What's funny is now people are BUYING these bags at grocery stores, when all they have to do is just wait until life gives them to you for free, whether you want them or not! :)

jania
7-15-11, 10:06am
The last time I went to a professional convention there was the dreaded bag, filled with crap I didn't want. Much to the check-in person's horror I rummaged through the bag picked up a few things I could use, mainly my name tag and a pen and handed the bag back to her. I told her to pass it on to someone else.

KayLR
7-15-11, 12:19pm
The problem with many of these giveaway bags is that 1-they are advertising something, and many times not something I particularly want to advertise, and 2- they don't have squared off bottoms; basically they are two pieces of fabric sewn together with a handle. Not very versatile unless you simply stuff things into it non-consequently. I like the bags with a flat bottom.

peggy
7-15-11, 9:43pm
Well, instead of bags how about pots? I'll bet you could find inexpensive garden pots and they could stuff as much junk in them as a bag, along with your iris bulbs.;)

Plus you could get a sort of revenge in that a pot isn't as easy to carry as a bag with a handle, but oh so cute!