PDA

View Full Version : Low-Chemical Home

HKPassey
7-15-11, 5:30pm
If anyone knows of someone searching for a home safe for people with chemical sensitivities (in the Seattle area), my home is about to become bank owned and so will be on the market. It's a manufactured home, but fairly high-end, and we had it built low-formaldehyde originally (no fiber board, vinyl wall paper, or fake paneling), and that was 20 years ago. In a rural area where all homes are on acreage, so you don't get blasted with the neighbors' idea of what smells good, either. Individual well, so you have control of water quality, as well.

Such a deal!

:cool:

Zoebird
7-15-11, 6:08pm
that sounds like an awesome house. i'm sorry that it's going to be bank owned (i am assuming a measure of financial difficulty).

Mrs-M
7-16-11, 5:45pm
Wow, HKPassey, you were really ahead of the day! P.S. Please don't tell me you lost it?

HKPassey
7-18-11, 1:36am
Wow, HKPassey, you were really ahead of the day! P.S. Please don't tell me you lost it?

Yes, we finally managed to negotiate a deed-in-lieu: it's been in the early stages of foreclosure since January. Bank refused to extend the modification last summer (I'd been making the payments, but they looked at my income and said "you obviously can't afford the reduced payments, so you'll have to go back to the full payments." Eh???). Haven't been able to make a payment since last August, actually. I lost my job 2 1/2 years ago and I'm still about 80% unemployed, so I'm on the last part of the slippery slope, financially. Chance to simplify, I guess - moving into my son's garage in about two weeks. ;) At least the nightmare with the bank is almost over. Now I just have to adapt to being a boomerang parent with two 30-something bachelor roommates (only one of whom is mine)!

I've been chemically sensitive since heavy exposure to gasoline as an infant 50+ years ago, so we had to be careful when we built the house. Since I couldn't control exposures at work, my home had to be as low-chemical as possible. Being out in the country has been a godsend - I'm not sure how it will work living in town again. You sometimes have to breathe whatever your neighbors think is cool. Like the Dryer Sheets From Hell. Sigh.

cow-hi

HKPassey
7-18-11, 1:58am
that sounds like an awesome house. i'm sorry that it's going to be bank owned (i am assuming a measure of financial difficulty).

Yup. Long-term unemployment, disability, and just plain older than dirt have come together with a fraudulent loan process to hopefully give the culprit bank a bit of indigestion. Selling a mobile on a reservation, even when the land is owned not leased, isn't the easiest at any time, and right now absolutely nothing out here is selling.

It's tough to leave it. It's a nice home, though a bit big for me alone. However, I have an art studio and craft studio. I live two miles from the state park with half a mile of beach, and I can walk along a quiet road through the woods, and look across the bay to see the big Boeing 747 plant across the water - it looks like the walls of Jerusalem from here, about five miles or so. We're about 300 feet up, so there's a good view of the islands and sailboats. There are herons and eagles nesting nearby, and enough frogs singing to shake the walls at night, almost. The house is in a clearing surrounded by 80 foot maples: I'll miss the sound of rain in the trees, and my little rock lizards and garter snakes. I've decided I may not be able to stop the bank from taking my house, but they don't get my garden: many of the plants came from friends, and some were my grandmother's. In the past month, my son's back garden has gone from "what garden?" to quite crowded! (Good thing he's got a BIG yard.) LOL. I just wish I could take my Japanese snowbell tree: it's late blooming this year, maybe it will before I leave. It makes the whole yard smell like jasmine.

I'll post some pictures in my profile. Here are some flowers from my garden:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hk-passey/5947512807/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hk-passey/5913493623/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hk-passey/5777636937/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hk-passey/5548984693/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hk-passey/5527984521/in/photostream

razz
7-18-11, 6:15am
HK, your photos are simply amazingly beautiful. I am sorry to read about the challenges that you are facing.

iris lily
7-18-11, 9:15am
Really gorgeous photos! I looked through your album, love them! The one of the fish is just sublime.

Mrs-M
7-18-11, 11:41am
Originally posted by HKPassey.
Bank refused to extend the modification last summer (I'd been making the payments, but they looked at my income and said "you obviously can't afford the reduced payments, so you'll have to go back to the full payments." Eh???).Imagine, it's the likes of institutions like that who received bailout monies. Despicable! I feel awful for you HKP. Life isn't fair... The pictures are out of this world! You are incredibly talented. So perfect. Thanks for sharing the pics with us, and and in the meantime, I'm going to make a wish for you.

Mrs-M
7-21-11, 12:35am
HKPassey. I've been thinking of you (nonstop) ever since you posted this thread, and I just wanted to send a hug your way this evening to let you know you are thought of.

Gizmo
7-21-11, 4:48pm
Wow, sounds like an awesome house. I would love to be able to own something like that someday! I just moved to Seattle, but don't know if I'll ever be able to own in the area. So expensive!

HKPassey
7-27-11, 2:55am
Really gorgeous photos! I looked through your album, love them! The one of the fish is just sublime.

Thank you. Boris was feeling cooperative that day.
I've finally managed to upload the actual ones I was going to, of my house and garden. 'Bout time! Looks like I'm moving Saturday.

HKPassey
7-27-11, 2:57am
Wow, sounds like an awesome house. I would love to be able to own something like that someday! I just moved to Seattle, but don't know if I'll ever be able to own in the area. So expensive!
Me, either! LOL. Actually, things are down a lot, but it's certainly a tough time for anyone to start that road. I think once the bank has this place, they'll probably have to sell it for about what we paid for it 20 years ago.

HKPassey
7-27-11, 2:59am
HKPassey. I've been thinking of you (nonstop) ever since you posted this thread, and I just wanted to send a hug your way this evening to let you know you are thought of.

Thank you, I think I might even have felt it! It's tough, but at least it's almost over.

Mrs-M
7-28-11, 2:57pm
HKPassey. I hope you felt it. :) I know you have a lot on your plate right now, but maybe, after you settle, maybe you can post an update just to let me know how you are doing. I'd really like that. In the meantime you will be in my thoughts and prayers.