PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of simplicity and frugality, do you remember???

Mrs-M
7-16-11, 5:51pm
The old newspaper columns that had the likes of Ann Landers, Dear Abby, and Hints from Heloise, just to name a few? I really miss those. I read them all the time as a teen.

IshbelRobertson
7-16-11, 6:03pm
I've certainly read about two of the three mentioned (who, on earth is Hints of Heloise?!) - but I've never read them or know much about what the columns may have recommended.

Tenngal
7-16-11, 6:14pm
I've read and miss them all.

Float On
7-16-11, 6:30pm
Hints of Heloise was household tips and cleaning and fixing things. The ultimate frugal goddess of housekeeping.

Example: "Dear Heloise, I just can't keep the copper bottoms to my cooking pots clean and shiny. Any ideas of how to get that sparkle back in my kitchenware??? - dirty copperbottom from NJ".

early morning
7-16-11, 7:00pm
Oh, I got a Household Hints from Heloise book for a shower present! I wonder what happened to it?

iris lily
7-16-11, 7:42pm
As a teenager I used to really like Ann Lander over her sister Abbey, I thought they had distinctly different styles. I never was interested in Hints from Heloise. Then I moved on to Miss Manners (in books) who was very entertaining for some years.

Now I like Carolyn Halifax. That writer really gets to the heart of the matter and is VERY good at addressing relationship problems. Next to her, the retooled Ann Landers column (written by several of Ann Landers' assistants) is staid and dull.

Bronxboy
7-16-11, 8:47pm
Hints of Heloise was household tips and cleaning and fixing things. The ultimate frugal goddess of housekeeping.

The daughter of the original Heloise is still at work, including at this bastion of traditionalism:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/hints-from-heloise-the-heat-is-on-for-pets/2011/06/28/gIQAHZBiGI_story.html

http://www.heloise.com/

madgeylou
7-16-11, 9:12pm
i absolutely love the ask a dude, ask a lady, and ask a clean person advice columns on http://www.thehairpin.com ... 21st century advice :)

Sad Eyed Lady
7-16-11, 10:00pm
Oh yes, I remember those.

Mrs-M
7-16-11, 10:27pm
Ishbel. In many ways, Heloise (back then) was the Martha Stewart of today, aside from actually cooking and all the rest of the Martha Stewart stuff. She was the guru of household hints and tips!

Tenngal. Me too. I loved reading through everyone's questions and then reading all the fixes and answers. Just knowing it was real somehow made it all the more interesting to me.

Float On. You lambasted that one! ROTFLMAO! A dead-ringer it is!!! Perfection at it's best. EXACTLY how I remember many of the people who wrote in would end their letters.

Early morning. I just came across an old copy of Hints from Heloise at the used book store a few weeks ago. Mint condition and priced smart. What a great new homemakers bible it would make.

Iris Lily. Me too! I was a staunch Ann Landers fan over Dear Abby, however I still enjoyed Dear Abby's coumn. Of course there was a whole host of other identities in the way of advice columns writers that graced newspapers around the globe. Names such as Erma Bombeck (my personal favourite), Dear Polly, and Abigail Van Buren, to name but a few.

Bronxboy. Thank you greatly for the links!!! Tea time is right around the corner for me.

Madgeylou. Thank you as well for the link.

Mrs-M
7-16-11, 10:30pm
Hi Shalom! Just seen your post after I posted mine. When I reflect back on it now I think, those days were so much more simple than today. Choices were at a minimum and pretty much everyone did things the same way.