PDA

View Full Version : Garden sure knows the diff between ground water and rain water

CathyA
7-17-11, 3:47pm
I've been watering my garden and it keeps it from dying, but it sure doesn't have the same effect as rainwater. Its interesting that the rainwater is magic for the garden..........but the groundwater just keeps it from dying.

puglogic
7-17-11, 10:28pm
It's the same here. The plants need water, so when it's dry I water them, and they do okay. But we've now had rain for the past 10 days, and even after the first few days of real rainwater, I swear every plant grew a foot. Makes me want to have a cistern to collect rainwater and use it all the time on the garden!

jania
7-18-11, 8:35am
I know what you all are talking about. When the rains finally come everything just perks up more. Living in the desert I think my plants are reacting to the increased moisture in the air. They are probably astounded which makes them stand up and take notice (and rejoice!).

Rosemary
7-18-11, 8:48am
We got 5" of rain on Friday-Saturday. The seeds for fall harvest that I put in about a week ago are jumping out of the ground!

KayLR
7-18-11, 12:19pm
Up here in the Pac NW we have been having a prolonged spring, and no summer. Rain, rain, rain. Sunday it rained steadily ALL DAY. Most of the day Saturday, too.

My tomato plants are lovely and robust. They are loving the rain, I guess...however, no fruit. Just some blossoms so far.

I looked up my photo garden journal last night. Last year on July 22 I had tomatoes the size of baseballs set on my plants.