PDA

View Full Version : Effective alternatives to pseudoephredrine-containing allergy meds?

Tradd
7-18-11, 1:44pm
I'm looking for an effective *non-prescription* alternative to decongestant allergy meds containing pseudoephedrine. I'm getting rather tired of the rigamarole with having to get the little card in the aisle display, take it to the pharmacy, show my ID, etc. All because folks are using it to make meth. It's also a major pita because you can't buy more than a 24 tablet pack at once (it's 2 x a day).

My doctor recommended more than a year ago I try Zyrtec-D. I get the generic.

The average non-PE stuff (such as generic Sufaded "lite" as I call it) do little. However, I've not gone back to Benadryl. Of course, the drowsiness is an issue with Benadryl. In the past, I've taken children's Benadryl and cut the tablets in half for daytime use, which worked quite well.

Anything you've found that works?

herbgeek
7-18-11, 2:54pm
Yes. Nasal irrigation. Its not 100%, but I used to sneeze dozens of times in a row, and now if I sneeze its just a one-or-twofer.

Before that, I'd done so many years of allergy shots, and prescription cortisone-like sprays and pretty much everything over the counter. I still do have a bottle of chlorpheniramine maleate (and anti-histamine) but only use that a handful of times a year, mostly for the itchy eyes.

Here's a link to the product I use- I use the Sinus rinse bottle and not the neti pot as I feel its easier to use: http://www.neilmed.com/usa/index.php. I've been doing this for a couple of years now, and the symptoms have really eased.

redfox
7-18-11, 3:04pm
Ditto on the nasal irrigation. This is an amazing device, much more effective than a Neti pot, IMHO.
http://www.hydromedonline.com/hp.html

Rosemary
7-18-11, 3:23pm
Dietary changes. Avoid inflammatory foods (flour, sugar, red meat, dairy, etc - see Dr Weil's anti-inflammatory diet pyramid on his website)
I grew up on decongestant, allergy shots, etc, but in the last 10 years have resolved nearly all of my allergies. I was still having itchy eyes/throat, but those have resolved on the very anti-inflammatory allergy elimination diet I've been on since April. Though we've introduced most foods now, I am still strictly limiting grains and sugar because of the highly beneficial results.

Miss Cellane
7-18-11, 3:51pm
Pseudoephedrine is a decongestant. The other main non-prescription decongestant is guaifenesin, which can be found in cough syrups and under the brand name Mucinex. The advertising for this is mostly for chest congestion, but it works for mucus anywhere in the body. Most drug stores have a generic version. And you don't have to stand in line or give your name and address to buy it.

Zyrtec is an antihistamine. Zyrtec-D has pseudoephedrine combined with it. If you are looking for a different antihistamine, Allegra has recently become over the counter.

I'll second the Neti pot. I use it daily, and have cut my use of antihistamines and decongestants to a couple of months a year instead of every day, all year long.

earthshepherd
7-18-11, 4:07pm
I always use peppermint leaf tea as a natural decongestant, with noticeable results. My family will all drink hot peppermint tea when they have colds or allergic inflammation. Doesn't help with the allergies themselves, but does an acceptable job on nasal symptoms.

Mrs. Hermit
7-18-11, 5:05pm
I use Allegra. It is over the counter now.