PDA

View Full Version : Solar chargers for household devices

puglogic
7-18-11, 11:27pm
I'm intrigued by the idea of charging up my cell phone, laptop, and other small devices using our abundant 300-day-per-year Colorado sunshine.

Has anyone ever used a solar charger for something like a laptop? Any hints on what to watch out for, avoid, look for?

Gardenarian
7-19-11, 4:53pm
I'm intriqued by these as well. i often think that they'd come in really handy during a blackout or other emergency. I wonder if the energy that goes into making these devices is more than I'd save in using one. I'm pretty sure that I'd never recoup the cost (in energy savings.)

I made pretty "sun jars" using on-sale $1 solar lights and I love having them around the house in the evening. Here are instructions if you'd like to try: http://lifehacker.com/5315357/create-your-own-sun-jar-lifehacker-edition/gallery/
They say not to use regular mason jars, but they actually work great - just turn them over to suck up the sun, then turn them right-side-up when you want light.
All you do is take the post off the light and glue the light part (solar panel to the bottom of the jar) and that's it. The glass frosting paint diffuses the light and looks cool.

Stella
7-20-11, 8:25am
Gardenarian, those are so pretty! I think I am going to have to make some of those. I have so many jars on hand.

puglogic, I have thought about those solar chargers for household items too. There are also solar charging backpacks I think would be good for my DH when he is out and about.

peggy
7-20-11, 9:13am
oh those sun jars are so cool! Gotta make me some!

jp1
7-28-11, 9:13pm
I think I may try and make some of the sun jars this weekend too! I need to go to home depot, costco and target anyway, so why not. It's funny, I was on the train coming home this afternoon and the woman next to me was looking through some catalog and they were selling sun jars that looked just like that for $15 each! I'd already looked online and found that I can buy 4 mason jars plus 4 of the solar path lights for $20. One third the cost of the catalog, and an easy and (hopefully) fun project!

setis
8-10-11, 6:56pm
Depends on how far you want to go with solar.They have a few oddities that can be used.sky mall has a bag that has a solar phone charger on it.harbour freight sells a case that will charge the 18 volt batteries that run drills etc.also has a 45 watt set that comes with two 12 volt light bulbs. I have four that i took 110 volt lamps and changed to 12 volt lamps.This has three 15 watt panels,frame and a box that the panels then box connects to 12 volt battery(do not use automotive batteries)i like the ones that are used for emergency lighting.the box has a 12 volt ciglike plug in and a 3 volt,6 volt,9 volt and 12 volt for the 2 light bulbs. to run anything that is 110 volt you will need an inverter that changes 12 volt to 110 and it also takes energy. I stick with 12 volt. easier. depending on time the set ranges from $200 to $300 incl tax. I have 2 sets and an 80 watt and several battery maintainers. My radio is hooked to a 15 watt battery charger with a charge control and it runs 24/7 unless i want to watch tv then i plug it into the 12volt ciglike plug.

setis
8-10-11, 7:10pm
The cost will be reclaimed quickly depending on what you buy. Wanna go totally solar and have the electric company pay you.How many kilowatts do you use a month?The purchase nad installation can be financed.You will no longer have an electric bill while paying off the solar and it takes about five years and most have 25 year warranties.So after 5 years you don't pay an electric bill and if choose to be "on" the grid the electric company has to buy your excess. Then to top that all off the government incentives you 30% of total cost,then there are state and county some down to the city incentives.Solar sounds expensive. It really isn't.My next purchase is a wind generator.When sun not shining wind is blowing.