PDA

View Full Version : scars

Spartana
7-19-11, 4:47pm
Anyone know a good (easy and cheap) way to remove scars? I have a bunch of flat faded burn scars on my neck from an accident I had years ago while in the service. They have faded to white but the pigmentaion will never come back so it looks like I have all these large white polka dots all over my neck. I can use concealer to cover them up but wondered if there is a product that I can apply to remove them short of bleaching my whole neck area. I also am outdoors in the sun alot (they also won't tan at all) so need something I can still go outside. What about lazer skin resurfacing? Does that work on those kind of old burn scars? Thanks in advance.:thankyou:

Mrs-M
7-20-11, 12:44pm
I'm trying to think back to a program I just watched on television not that long ago that was related to lazer work and scaring. It was amazing! Yes, there are treatments out there and I encourage you to seek out the help you are looking for Spartana. :)

rodeosweetheart
7-25-11, 9:37pm
This is going to sound absolutely crazy, but I just read about using Preparation H on scars. Okay, crazy and kind of disgusting, but I have been putting it on this horrible case of poison ivy I just to, where my hand swelled up and looked like a giant burn-- it worked within 2 days! But this was a fresh case of poision ivy,and not an old burn, but still, it's worth a try. Apparently it used to be better, because it had yeast in it, but it still has the big ingredient--shark liver oil. This is supposedly what does the trick.

I bought two kinds--have it all over my leg and arm and went through one tube in a day-- and the hand looks pretty normal (it was swollen and red, sort of looking like would need plastic surgery to look normal- and my leg is getting there--njo longer bright red, and not so hard and swollen.

The first tube was the real deal, which had aloe, and the second was a Publix generic prep H which smelled much more shark liverish and was oiler. Not sure if there was much difference, but the real thing was 2 dollars more and a more pleasanjt consitency.

So maybe give it a try? Apparently it is what used to be called Sperti ointment by a Nobel Prize winning something or other.

pony mom
7-25-11, 11:52pm
Rodeosweetheart, Preparation H is used to shrink tissue, which may be why your scar is less swollen. Not sure if it will change the color of the skin. BTW, years ago we in the horseworld would use it to grow back hair on a horses' wounds. Wonder if that gives you a hairy butt when used correctly??

Spartana, be proud of your war wounds. Or, stay out of the sun (not good for you anyway).

flowerseverywhere
7-26-11, 12:05am
Spartana, be proud of your war wounds. Or, stay out of the sun (not good for you anyway).

if it is important to you then seek the opinion of a cosmetic surgeon however the scars were inflicted. They do all sorts of magic for cancer and burn victims so should be able to help you. just remember "buyer beware" and do your due diligence.

Tiam
7-26-11, 1:50am
Finding a non surgical or home cure method would be a great thing to know about.

rodeosweetheart
7-26-11, 8:57am
Ponymom, it dramatically changed the color of both my hand and my leg. The hand was very bright red then was heading towards silvery pink scar tissue is now its regular color. The leg bright red hard, then got dark like a bruise, now returning to regular color. No hair growth either place yet, thank heaven. Sort of a werewolf effect?

reader99
7-26-11, 9:09am
Just speculating here, but if retinol creams work by accelerating skin cell turnover in regular skin, mightn't they do the same in scar tissue, causing the scars to fade faster than they would otherwise?

Mrs. Hermit
7-26-11, 10:01am
"BTW, years ago we in the horseworld would use it to grow back hair on a horses' wounds. Wonder if that gives you a hairy butt when used correctly??"

LOL!!! I would think we would have heard of this by now, if it happened. Anal rogaine!

cdttmm
7-26-11, 10:24am
I have used Vitamin E oil on scars and it has helped to reduce their appearance. Also there is a product called Mederma that is supposed to help change the appearance of scars, even older scars. After I had surgery to repair my broken arm I used a product that was essentially a silicone sheet to help in reducing the scarring. It seemed to work pretty well, but I can't remember what it was called.

But, like some of the other posters suggested, you should be proud of your scars regardless of how you got them. They are symbols of a well-lived life. Of course, maybe that is just an attitude that I have adopted because I have several visible scars plus a condition that means I lack pigment in my skin in various places (I have a bunch of "white polka dots" as you describe them around my waist, on my back, and on my leg).

Spartana
7-26-11, 1:12pm
Spartana, be proud of your war wounds.

HA HA - Guess vanity has gotten the better of me :-)! Thnaks for all the ideas - I'll definetly try them (except the one that make you grow hair :-)!) and let you know the outcome.

Tiam
7-28-11, 4:09am
I have used Vitamin E oil on scars and it has helped to reduce their appearance. Also there is a product called Mederma that is supposed to help change the appearance of scars, even older scars. After I had surgery to repair my broken arm I used a product that was essentially a silicone sheet to help in reducing the scarring. It seemed to work pretty well, but I can't remember what it was called.

But, like some of the other posters suggested, you should be proud of your scars regardless of how you got them. They are symbols of a well-lived life. Of course, maybe that is just an attitude that I have adopted because I have several visible scars plus a condition that means I lack pigment in my skin in various places (I have a bunch of "white polka dots" as you describe them around my waist, on my back, and on my leg).

Of course it's possible to have scars and have valid reasons to not be proud of them. I have not tried Mederma. It's not cheap.

Merski
7-28-11, 6:58am
The silicone sheets were given to me to help with the reduction of scarring after some surgery. It is usually used on burns. My scars are private so I don't mind that they're visible but I'd care to reduce their look as much as I could if they were. Good luck on your quest. I'd probably also go to a plastic surgeon if they really bothered me...

rodeosweetheart
7-29-11, 8:11am
People have used elmer's glue with the same principle as the Silicone sheets, as a burn cure.

One week after the Prep H treatment on hand, there is no scar and it is completely normal looking. Before, the scarring was size of silver dollar. I went through 2 tubes at 6.38. Need to retreat leg, which is no longer red, but has residual roughness.

crunchycon
7-29-11, 9:37am
I have a pretty significant surgical scar on one side, and my surgeon's nurse recommended Mederma. I use a bit of cocoa butter on mine, and it's helped some, but as my clothes cover up the mark, I'm less interested in totally obliterating the scar. I've also heard wonderful things about Bio-Oil (which is found in any drugstore).

pony mom
7-29-11, 10:39pm
Glad to hear the Prep H is working so well for you. Just be careful of the sun on that skin in the future.

Aqua Blue
8-15-11, 4:43pm
I have several scars on my arm that always bothered me. Some are whiter and some are pretty red. They are slightly raised. Someone recommended Scar Gel by derma E. They gave me a couple of samples and I am really impressed and will buy some when the samples are gone. It is a natural product found at a whole foods store(which is where this person works). I have been using it about 2 weeks and it says to use it 4-6 monthes, but I can already see an improvement. I use that companies psorzema cream for an itchy skin condition I have and have been impressed with that too. It runs about $20 for a fairly good sized jar.

As a side note. I do not have any relationship with the product other than being a customer.

Jemima
9-21-11, 4:02am
I worked as a counselor for heroin addicts for a number of years and many of them swore by cocoa butter for removing "tracks" (a scar from repeated injections into the veins, usually long, narrow, and snaky, for those of you who aren't familiar with the minor side effects of hard drug abuse).

SIDEBAR: I have an old book called The World's Best Kept Beauty Secrets, authored by Diane Irons, which recommends Preparation H as a temporary facelift-er and instant cure for puffy eyes.

Selah
9-21-11, 12:17pm
Jemima, I second the use of Preparation H for puffy eyes...DH was a news anchorman and said he and all his on-camera co-workers used it constantly for that purpose!

Thanks for this thread, by the way...I once had a few jobs as a leg model, but after a very nasty fall my knees got so scarred up I realized that fledgling career was OVER. I'd love to make those scars go away, but can't afford laser treatment.

Does anyone know how to make scars tan again? Mine aren't raised...they are white, but they won't tan, and self-tanning lotion doesn't seem to work on them.