PDA

View Full Version : Reflexology

pony mom
7-26-11, 12:47am
Has anyone tried it? Was it for medical reasons from a certified reflexologist or a relaxing session in a spa setting? Would you be more willing to try that over a full body massage (fully dressed vs undressed and draped)?

The reason I'm asking is because doing massage for almost 5 years has wrecked my body and burned me out. I've realised that I've lost interest in it and have lost my desire to learn more techniques.

However, it seems that Reflexology is calling to me. It seems a bit magical, like energy work, which I love. Since I don't do anything half a**ed, I would like to take the required 200 hrs. of classes/clinical work and take the test to become nationally certified, as opposed to watching a dvd or taking a one day course. I'm thinking that people would be more inclined to have their feet worked on, hopefully by someone qualified, to help a medical condition rather than get a massage. Also, it is easier to do on all types of clients in all types of settings. My thumbs may suffer, but perhaps the rest of me will heal.

The clinical hours can be done at the spa where I work; probably advertise it as a discounted service at first and explain that I'm currently a student. After becoming certified, I'd really like to do it outside of the spa as my own business. This way I won't lose 55% of the fee to the spa. MTs are a dime a dozen in my state but I don't see many cert. reflexologists in my area.

Would you be inclined to choose someone certified over someone who 'does' reflexology? Or only for a medical condition? Or see one after trying it for relaxation? At work I do a 'reflexology session' for $60 and I'm really not comfortable doing it since I haven't been formally trained. This is about the same cost as a cert. ref. would charge. The total cost of all the classes would be almost $1K and the test is almost $300 on top of that. Plus reading materials. Not a cheap thing to jump into right now for sure but my clients like my work and I'd like to enjoy doing it again.

citrine
7-26-11, 8:00am
Reflexology is amazing work and you can also get a crystal pointer to press into the hand/foot instead of your thumbs. I am also an MT and have some clients who ease into massage by getting a reflexology treatment and vice versa. I would definitely get certified and learn everything in detail, that way you can do the treatments for a medical reason.

nswef
7-27-11, 5:09pm
I have been having reflexology done for about 2 years. I started with every 2 weeks, now up to every other month or so. It is wonderful. My woman certified does it from her home now, but I first ran into her at a spa. She never did massage, but Reiki and some other things. She's been doing reflexology for 30 years I think she said. I think people would be interested in doing it when you advertise. $1300 for a new career isn't that much when you think that it will help heal your body, too.

Sad Eyed Lady
7-27-11, 7:18pm
Yes, I have had reflexology and think it is very worthwhile. I go as regularly as I can for massage, (a bit of a luxury for me), and I very much enjoy having a massage and reaping the therapeutic benefits, but sometimes reflexology is just the thing. Maybe poll your current clients? If they are already comfortable with you as a massage therapists then they would likely come to you for reflexology whether you were actually certified or not.

pony mom
7-29-11, 10:35pm
Thanks for your replies. My first class is in Aug. and I'm going to absorb everything I can. Convincing my 'I want deep tissue massage til it hurts' clients will take a bit of convincing but I think offering it as a discounted service, when I need to do 90-100 practicals, might give it a boost. And who doesn't like having their feet worked on?