PDA

View Full Version : What is the secret to a good fluffy omelett?

Greg44
7-27-11, 12:25am
How do you make a GOOD omelett? What is your the trick? Mine are flat, often tear apart - often just turn into scambled eggs. :help:

Wildflower
7-27-11, 3:17am
My DH makes wonderful fluffy omelettes. He was watching a cooking show one Saturday afternoon on PBS and they were making omelettes - the Chef advised adding a little water to the egg mixture and beating very thoroughly with a whisk, then cooking rapidly in a preheated pan, being careful though not to overcook it. This tip has worked like a charm for DH in turning out fluffier omelettes that don't break apart when folding. :)

It does take some practice though. My omelettes still don't turn out as good as DH's.

goldensmom
7-27-11, 6:23am
My DH makes wonderful fluffy omelettes. He was watching a cooking show one Saturday afternoon on PBS and they were making omelettes - the Chef advised adding a little water to the egg mixture and beating very thoroughly with a whisk, then cooking rapidly in a preheated pan, being careful though not to overcook it. This tip has worked like a charm for DH in turning out fluffier omelettes that don't break apart when folding. :)

It does take some practice though. My omelettes still don't turn out as good as DH's.

This is exactly how I make an omelette, a little water, briskly whisk (to add air) and cook in preheated pan. Additionally, don't stir as this will result in scrambled eggs. Don't overcook and if you add anything , add before top is done.

razz
7-27-11, 6:27am
What Widlflower said. I must have seen the same show. LOL Don't use milk, only water! I add some butter to a 'preheated' pan, pour in the eggs and put back on the stove, lift the edges to let the uncooked flow underneath and then flip.

Merski
7-27-11, 6:57am
Yup! Cold water is the trick! And it's free!

IshbelRobertson
7-27-11, 6:58am
I do it the French way - lightly beating the eggs with a mere splash of water, a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Melt a knob of butter in an omelette pan, allow to get hot, but not smoking. Pour in the eggs, lightly move 'set' edges to allow the eggy liquid to make contact with the hot omelette pan. Do not agitate the eggs! When they are nearly 'set' but still ever so slightly runny on the surface, fold the omelette a third to the middle, middle to back edge of the pan. I don't like dry, flipped omelettes. The only addition I use when making a traditional omelette is fines herbes or dill. If I want a Spanish style omelette, I use the same egg mixture, allow to cook gently and then add whatever vegetables I fancy, left-over sliced new potatoes, mushrooms, peppers, courgette etc. I tend to make that in a larger frying pan, not the small, Le Creuset omelette pan, though.

Selah
7-27-11, 9:34am
I also do it the French way...eggs with water, etc. But if I am doing a meat omelet, I heat the meat first, and use the fat from the meat instead of butter, then add the eggs, then seasonings on top before folding. Water is DEFINITELY the key! A cold splash is sufficient, just before whisking the eggs until the yolks and whites are combined, but not much more.

Kat
7-27-11, 9:39am
Ditto to what everyone else said. My dad is a retired chef, and when we was working in restaurants, he always finished his under the broiler for just a few seconds. It gives gorgeous color, but you have to be careful because it is very easy to overcook it or make it tough this way.

Greg44
7-27-11, 12:36pm
Lots of good ideas. My dw and I always have the milk/water debate! It seems like I saw something on TV also that talked water. But a "splash of water, some water, etc" - say you are making a 2 or 3 egg omelette - about how much water?

Last night when I made them I turned the heat on about Medium - seemed to work good - not too fast/not too slow...

Do you use a special pan? I have been just using a non-stick frying pan...with some butter or margarine.

What do you like in your omelettes? I normally make mine just cheese - being a vegatarian, but dw may like some variety!

IshbelRobertson
7-27-11, 2:13pm
I have 2 Le Creuset omelette pan, one that I use only for omelettes and the bigger one I also use for crepes. They are both smaller than a frying pan.

In a French omelette I only use fines herbes.

Greg44
7-27-11, 3:45pm
I have 2 Le Creuset omelette pan, one that I use only for omelettes and the bigger one I also use for crepes. They are both smaller than a frying pan.

In a French omelette I only use fines herbes.

What do you define as "fine herbes"?

IshbelRobertson
7-27-11, 5:16pm
Chives, chervil and parsley (I sometimes add fresh thyme). It's not what I define, it's what the French define - I'm only Scots with a love of France!

Wildflower
7-28-11, 4:07am
My favorites are veggie omelettes with cheese, diced tomatoes, onions, green peppers and mushrooms. My DH prefers meat in his - diced ham, sausage and bacon are his favs, although not all together, along with hash browns.

Tiam
7-28-11, 4:13am
I don't even add water any more. My one thing is that I really don't like a browned omelette. I want it set and yellow. So, I do lots of lifting and shaking to accomplish that so it doesn't get tough and brown. That browned flavor puts me off the entire thing, so it has to be tender, even more important that fluffy. I've seen very fluffy omelets made with separated eggs with the whites beaten stiff adn re added. Use an omelet pan.

Tiam
7-28-11, 4:15am
Btw, my favorite filling is cheese, sauteed mushrooms and perhaps spinach or broccoli.

Wildflower
7-28-11, 4:19am
We just use a small non-stick frying pan. Melt butter in it before adding egg mixture. We use a couple tablespoons of water for a 2-3 egg omelette.

cdttmm
7-28-11, 7:08am
Thanks to Greg for starting this thread - it has been very educational! We are planning to start raising chickens next year, so we will have lots of eggs to consume. My omelet making talents were previously lacking and I never understood why - thanks to this thread I'm ready to give it another go!!!

Stella
7-28-11, 9:21am
I use water too and they come out nice and fluffy. Hmmm. This thread is making me hungry.