PDA

View Full Version : Cosmetic surgury to look younger?

Spartana
7-29-11, 3:15pm
I know alot of people get cosmetic surgury to correct certain things they don't like about themselves but would you get it JUST to look younger? If you liked everything about yourself but were noticing the signs of (gentle) aging - say a bit of bagginess or wrinkling around the eyes, chin or mouth - would you invest the money to get rid of that? And if so, how far would you go? A bit of botox here and there or a a full face lift? I've always been a person who liked the natural look best - no make up, hair just as it is, etc... - but now that I'm getting older I'm noticing that the "natural look" ain't as nice as it use to be :-)!. I still look fairly youthful from a distance (like from a galaxy far far away :-)!) because of my physique and hair but am starting to notice those first few signs of aging. So are you a person who would have some sort of cosmetic surgury or continue on with your "natural look" as you aged?

julia
7-29-11, 3:23pm
It's a no from me. You know how when you paint the walls, the doors suddenly seem really yellowy instead of white when they seemed perfectly ok before? I reckon that if you start on one thing you might then notice the next thing more than you would have done otherwise. I'm 47, so I'm also becoming aware of the signs of aging. I've just read a book called 'The Warmth of the Heart Prevents Your Body from Rusting' - very realistic but still comforting.

Alan
7-29-11, 3:25pm
I like to think that I continue to improve with age, and much prefer the look of the current me to my younger self. So no, I wouldn't do it.

catherine
7-29-11, 3:27pm
Good question! Funny thing is, I think I look younger in the mirror than I do in photographs. So I'll fix myself up for the day and think, OK, not that bad, but then I'll see a picture of myself and think "Wow, do I look THAT old??"

My general philosophy has always been to just be au naturale... my only justification at this point, just hovering on the younger side of 60, would be to "buy" maybe 5-10 years to extend my working life because I have so much darned debt. I know it sounds stupid, but if you're a man, you're an experienced businessman, but if you're a woman, you're over the hill in the workplace. I have fought really hard to avoid being "Glenda'd" (I had a friend Glenda who was dismissed for "downsizing" reasons--but my own personal feeling was that they felt she wasn't on par with the younger market researchers.) I can't be Glenda'd in the same way because I work for myself now, but sometimes I think my personal philosophy on aging, and my need to work until I'm 70 are at cross purposes.

If I WERE to do something to make myself look younger, it would be something like a mini-lift and Botox on my forehead. I don't have bags under my eyes, but the lower half of my face seems to be a little droopy. Plus, I'd probably get my teeth whitened, because I think teeth are an instant give away.

As part of my job in market research, I sometimes interview patients. I used to do tons of market research with consumers of osteoporosis medications, so they were all women 55-70. My clients and I would always analyze them (not for professional reasons--just out of fun) to see what makes people look younger (we had their ages as part of the data), and after this very unscientific market research, we decided it's about having a trim body, modern hair style, and if you wear glasses, they should be "hip" glasses. Thank God--you don't need to go under the knife for any of those things!

Sissy
7-29-11, 3:41pm
I would have my eyes done in a heartbeat. People think I am sad, angry, sleepy or ill when actually Im not. I would be able to see better, also and that would be great!

sherry

Spartana
7-29-11, 3:59pm
I like to think that I continue to improve with age, and much prefer the look of the current me to my younger self. So no, I wouldn't do it.

Ah yes, but guys DO get better the older and craggier you get with age. Think an older Clint Eastwood - just as ruggedly handsome in old age as in his youth. Well, ALMOST :-)!

Spartana
7-29-11, 4:11pm
I used to do tons of market research with consumers of osteoporosis medications, so they were all women 55-70. My clients and I would always analyze them (not for professional reasons--just out of fun) to see what makes people look younger (we had their ages as part of the data), and after this very unscientific market research, we decided it's about having a trim body, modern hair style, and if you wear glasses, they should be "hip" glasses. Thank God--you don't need to go under the knife for any of those things!

I think this is what got me started on this whole thing. Yesterday I saw a woman from behind with a ROCKIN' body. Very fit with a tiny pair of hip hugger shorts and a jog bra. Nice youthful haircut and color. I thought she was 20ish. When I passed her I was looking into the VERY withered VERY baggy VERY wrinkled face of a 70 plus year old woman - maybe even older. I was so shocked at the difference between her face and body (and how she looked so youthful from afar compared to close up) that I started thinking about my own (gently :-)) aging face. My first though SHOULD have been - "wow, look at how awsome she is" but instead it was a admittedly very shallow thought was that she needed a face lift. I hated that I thought that but it was the first thing that popped into my head. And while I can take care of my body in a natural way (although I'm sure things will shift around as I age - and not in a good way :-)), not much I can do about the face or skin. And while I do think it's shallow of me to want to look more youthful as I age, I guess I don't want someone passing me and their first though being "Wow, she needs a facelift"! Especially when I've always held to the "be yourself" motto all my life. Damn, vanity sucks :-)! My sister, who is 50, is also going thru this now. All thru her 40's she looked 20-something - even getting carded occasionally. But once she hit 50 no one seemed to be shocked by her age. Does something happen when we hit 50? Seems to be the magic age of aging!

catherine
7-29-11, 4:21pm
Damn, vanity sucks :-)! My sister, who is 50, is also going thru this now. All thru her 40's she looked 20-something - even getting carded occasionally. But once she hit 50 no one seemed to be shocked by her age. Does something happen when we hit 50? Seems to be the magic age of aging!

Here's my very favorite article on THAT topic.

"Valerie Monroe was used to being seen—and appreciated. Until she reached an age when the glances stopped. Then what? An invisible woman begins her search for a new identity."

Read more: http://www.oprah.com/spirit/How-to-Deal-with-Aging-Valerie-Monroe-on-Getting-Older#ixzz1TWmFDCl3

ETA: My personal thought on that is it probably has a lot more to do with evolution and biology than we think--in other words, pheromones that may disappear around menopause. Just a theory.

pinkytoe
7-29-11, 4:29pm
The thing is wouldn't pretending that you're not aging by having surgery be sort of an endless project? I am not loving the aging process but I am slowly convincing myself that being young, trim and gorgeous is a season. I have had my opportunity to be young. I would love to go back but I can't so I am going to spend my later years working on other stuff. I figure as long as I look healthy, no matter my age, then tI'm OK with leaving things alone. And another thing...being done with monthly periods is worth every wrinkle.

julia
7-29-11, 5:03pm
Regarding suddenly looking older, with me I think it was the double bereavement of losing my mother and brother within seven months that did it for me. Whereas a year ago people would gasp in surprise that I had a 22 year old son (I was 46), now people never, ever do that (I'm a language teacher so meet new people on a daily basis and exchange family-type information as part of the teaching). I don't feel I've changed that much, but I must have. I'm not sure I care too much, but it's yet another reason why bereavement sucks.

Tweety
7-29-11, 5:41pm
I had the facelift done about 15 years ago. I have to meet the public, and got tired of people saying to me "Cheer up, it's not that bad!" when I was feeling perfectly OK but my drooping face looked SO sad. As the surgeon said to me then, "You can turn the clock back, but you can't stop it." Turning it back was fine with me. I would do it again in a heartbeat, because I was pleased with the results then and still am. And no, I haven't felt the need to keep tweaking it, somehow when all those droopy jowls were removed they didn't come back and I'm OK with the way I look now....older, to be sure, but still smiling.

wallydraigle
7-29-11, 6:33pm
I've actually thought about this quite a bit. I used to always think my answer would be 'no,' but I've had two kids recently, and I'm feeling frumpier and frumpier. I work out, eat right, and take good care of myself. I'm probably the healthiest I've ever been in my life. But I have a chin wattle (it's always been there--even when I was at my thinnest), and I now have a stretched-out stomach. Not stretch marks (yay DNA!), just extra skin. And it is almost impossible to find comfortable clothing that looks okay with that weirdness going on. I could do mom jeans, but I think they're terribly uncomfortable. I could always wear dresses, but I hate 99% of those, too. It will likely only get worse, since we'd like to have another kid, and with my tiny torso, there's only one direction a baby can go: out. And I grow 'em big.

I've also always had very pronounced under-eye bags. They're not saggy yet, but I think they probably will be one day. I still look very young for my age, but my age is catching up with me, and it really surprises me how much that bothers me.

Plastic surgery seems to go against a lot of the things I hold dear, but I think I'm okay with it. It would only be an option if we were in a position that the money spent on it would be pocket change to us; it's not something that I would ever sacrifice something more important for. So it'll probably never happen. :)

redfox
7-29-11, 6:41pm

EXACTLY! Right on, Alan.

PS - I have about a million other things I'd rather spend my money on... one of which is my retirement fund! What good is looking younger if I'm living under a bridge??

Spartana
7-29-11, 6:44pm
Plastic surgery seems to go against a lot of the things I hold dear, but I think I'm okay with it. It would only be an option if we were in a position that the money spent on it would be pocket change to us; it's not something that I would ever sacrifice something more important for. So it'll probably never happen. :)

Yes this is how I feel also so am sort of surprised at my self for even pondering it - although probably won't ever actually do anything at all. I've always said I'd rather spend my money having wild adventures then doing anything for my looks. I don't care about my appearence much and don't do much to make myself look better. I've never even been to a beauty salon in my life or had a professional haircut, or even manicure or pedicure or anything "beautifing" - ever. Like Popeye - "I yam what I yam ":-)! And I kind of like that I'm not oogled or leered at as much BUT, while I'm OK with things now - and maybe in the future - I can see that they are a precusor of things to come. Does one litterally "nip" it in the bud early or wait and see? For now I'm on vacation in the beautiful Sierra Mts and could care less what I look like. But tomorrow......:-)!

Spartana
7-29-11, 6:48pm
EXACTLY! Right on, Alan.

PS - I have about a million other things I'd rather spend my money on... one of which is my retirement fund! What good is looking younger if I'm living under a bridge?? Well you might get more offers to share the Ripple bottle:-)!

iris lily
7-29-11, 9:24pm
The kind of surgery that would best serve me is one of the hardest to do effectively and to make look natural--a cheek/jowl lift. So no, wouldn't do it.

But I might have electrolysis in certain place where hair is growing where it should not.

My neck is fine, I don't have droopy eyes, and when I exercise and diet things spring back in place, relatively (for my age) speaking, so I'm happy with the rest of it.

frugal-one
7-29-11, 10:14pm
Recently, I fell and broke my nose and my insurance would pay for it along with a few other "bumps" on my face. After reading all the literature and all the drugs they insisted I take I decided it wasn't worth going under anesthetic unnecessarily. I have and would do procedures though that are minor. Such as getting age spots removed. The cost and inconvenience was very minor.

pony mom
7-29-11, 10:29pm
I've been very lucky that I've always looked younger than my age. I'm 45 now and people think I'm in my late 20s or early 30s, but I know time is running out. I've seen quite a few people who have had procedures done and they may look a bit better, but they somehow don't look 'right'. Like you know something is off about them but can't put your finger on it.

I agree with a previous post that a fit body, good haircut, and also updated subtle makeup is the way to go. Seeing an older woman trying to look and dress much younger is just sad to me, no matter how fit she is. In my job I've seen the damage that the sun (and smoking) does to your skin. I've also seen many woman who think the Malibu Barbie look (tan, white teeth, bleached hair) fools people but they'll just end up looking like an old leather shoe.

It's not until I see an old photo of myself that I realise how my face isn't as full and youthful as it was. My current temporary solution is a very tight ponytail!

Wildflower
7-30-11, 3:36am
My goal these days is just to look good for my age. You know fit, healthy, well rested, etc. I am letting my hair grey and I've never worn make-up - I've always liked the natural look. I don't think I would ever have any cosmetic surgery. I think when a woman is trying to look way younger than she is to me she just winds up looking older or desperate. I think I look content these days and to me that is a good look. I'm almost 54 and I don't turn heads like I did back in the day, but I'm ok with that. Nice to not have men constantly leering at me like a piece of meat everytime I left the house. That used to bother me alot. Now occasionally older men around 65 -70 years old pay alot of attention to me. ;) DH still thinks I'm hot and that's all that matters to me. >8)

I do think the media puts so much pressure on women to look a certain way and really it is just sad. If I look at magazines or watch too much TV I can get depressed about my appearance and that has been going on since I was a teenager.

ctg492
7-30-11, 6:34am
My neck fixed in a heart beat..if it was a make the appointment at 8am, surgery at 9am home at 10 am and out jogging at 11am type thing. But then I would be afraid it would then make everything else look {{{50}}}, oh that's right I am that old :( SO no I probably won't, but would if I was not afraid of the knife. Grey Hair never....blonde highlite for me forever.

I actually never felt I looked old till I was 49 while I was waiting for the big 50 coming fast. For my 50th bday I went on a 35 mile bike ride, stopped in for a bite to eat and gasp, the little child waiting on me said "Do you want the senior drink size, it's free?". I froze like a deer in the dead lights. And I must have looked like I was shot, as the child said to me she was sorry if she offended me. I struggled with that comment on that particular day of my life. Now a few months later I am actually almost in acceptance of my age. I look in mirror and say to myself now I am not going to look 25 ever again, but I think I look pretty good for an Old Lady, besides it is my family's neck.

ctg492
7-30-11, 6:37am
wildflower, I agree with your post totally.

Selah
7-30-11, 7:54am
I always had one aspect about my face that I NEVER liked and couldn't disguise, so I got it taken care of surgically. I'm so glad I did it and would do it again in a heartbeat. I would like, later on, to have some more work on my face done to remove some signs of aging...not so much as removing wrinkles, but rather offsetting the natural flow of gravity! If a surgeon can also do some facial contouring at the same time, that would be great, too.

IshbelRobertson
7-30-11, 11:56am
I wouldn't have anything done, but that must be a personal choice for people.

I'm lucky, I've avoided the sun all my life (reddish blonde hair, very, very fair skin) - even more so when living in places like the far east and Gulf states. It has stood me in good stead, as my skin doesn't look 'leathery' like some of my friends who spent hours per day topping up their tans for many, many years! This seems to have also helped me to avoid getting lots of lines and creases on my face.

I do now have the hairdresser put highlights in my hair (done once every 8 weeks or so) which help keep the white/grey hairs at bay!

I don't watch much TV or cinema, but I love to watch some of them and 'spot the natural' actresses - they seem to be in short supply - all the others seem to have foreheads botoxed they have no expression - the grooves between nose and sides of the mouth absolutely plump and those infamous 'trout' pouts! I saw an untouched up pic of that really amazing Aussie actress, Nicole Kidman... she is beginning to resemble an early version of the Bride of Wildenstein...

catherine
7-30-11, 12:11pm
I don't watch much TV or cinema, but I love to watch some of them and 'spot the natural' actresses - they seem to be in short supply - all the others seem to have foreheads botoxed they have no expression - the grooves between nose and sides of the mouth absolutely plump and those infamous 'trout' pouts! I saw an untouched up pic of that really amazing Aussie actress, Nicole Kidman... she is beginning to resemble an early version of the Bride of Wildenstein...

I read once that this phenomenon in Hollywood is causing a shortage of older actresses to play people who actually look their age and can play those older parts! There are very few 60 year old actresses who look 60 because they have modified their appearance to look 40. So I guess if you've always wanted to act and you look your age, you might have little competition! Kind of ironic that casting directors might hire a 60 year old actress and then they expect to make her up to look 60! Strange times we live in.

henrysmom
7-30-11, 2:46pm
I am 52 and just this year have I started feeling I look my age. Okay, I think I look good for my age compared to some, but there is no way I can pass for 40 anymore. I am in a unique postion, my mother who is in her early 70s has had three (3!) face lifts and plenty of other stuff done to her face. Many people tell her that they can't believe her age, but I feel she just looks like a 70 year old with a facelift. I can spot women who have had them, and very rarely do I think it's really worth it. Even with very good work, there is a strangeness about their faces that gives them away. And sadly, many women don't get good plastic surgery! But, while I occasionally think about getting work done, I realize that I will still have old hands, old arms, old skin, old neck. I agree that good skin care is essential, but am not sure about surgery. Now, I have to admit I had my eyes done 12 years ago..while it did improve them cosmetically, I actually had my insurance pay for it because they were sagging into my line of vision. I also did try Botox twice..the first time just between my eyes and I thought it looked good. The net time I had my forehead done too and what a mistake! It dropped my forehead and I looked mad for two months. So never again! It's so hard to age gracefeully...

mira
7-30-11, 3:22pm
I wouldn't have surgery to make me appear younger. It's so funny when you see people who've had facelifts with saggy necks and wrinkly hands! There's no escaping age! I say we just treat our bodies and minds well throughout our lives and we'll radiate beauty inside and out.

rose
7-30-11, 4:16pm
Every once in a while I see women that have aged with such grace and vitality that I say to myself "ok, there's a role model". I let my hair gray at 50. Hard to believe I'm now 62. I keep it trimmed and tidy and get compliments on it. I don't miss dying it and trying to keep on top of the white ring around my face and down my part. I am active and my weight is under control. I don't have a desire to look younger, which seems rather odd since most people do. I'm happy in my skin and body. Fixing one thing will just make other parts look older I think. To me it is kind of like keeping up with the Joneses....there is always another one.

pinkytoe
7-30-11, 7:27pm
To me it is kind of like keeping up with the Joneses.
I agree...and somehow it doesn't seem in keeping with simple living ideals but I guess we all fret about how we look expecially in this crazy culture we live in.

Tammy
7-30-11, 8:50pm
i'm turning 50 this year. my theory is that as long as i stay healthy and happy, i can work with what i have without surgery. also that if i dress nicely but not in seriously young looking trendy clothing, and if i get a good haircut regularly, i don't need all the other stuff. i'm ok with looking 50 if its a good 50. and i like my face and hair to match the rest of me.

we'll see if my theory holds true over the next 20 years. ask me again later. ha!

razz
7-30-11, 9:44pm
Another duplicate post. Grrrrr!

razz
7-30-11, 9:46pm
At age 67, I told DD1 that I had to be careful to wear fashionable shorts for my age as there is something iffy about older people wearing shorts that teenagers normally wear. I have seen older women with clothes that belong to the very young and it does make them look older IMHO.

i like stylish clothes that are simple, wash and wear and feel comfortable.

I have never had the desire to have anti-aging surgery. It seems that I have been busy enough with enough interests that as long as i feel healthy and active, I am confident and comfortable in my own skin as is.

I recently had my hearing checked and will be getting hearing aids which is a bummer but even they are so tiny nowadays that they are just one more tool to make life better.

I did go to a new hairdresser to get a new hairstyle though and it was worth it.:D

puglogic
7-30-11, 11:37pm
I'd never spend the money to surgically look younger than I am.

Plus, at 49, I'm strong, healthy, funny, wise, and can still kick the cr@@ out of any woman I know, and most men too.

If people don't like my wrinkles they can just get bent.

pinkytoe
7-30-11, 11:44pm
It is amazing what happens to your physical appearance between 50 and 56. At 50, I thought hey this ain't so bad. But in just those few years, I now look my age. Oh well...

pony mom
7-30-11, 11:45pm
Phyllis Diller once said "I've had so many facelifts that I'm sporting a goatee."

I have a large Hungarian nose and never liked it. If it was ever broken in an accident, I'd like it made a bit smaller but not so it looked unnatural. Usually when they make your nose smaller, they give you a chin implant. While they're there, why not get something done to my slightly saggy jawline. Oh, what the heck, fix my droopy left eye. And on the way there, plump up my cheeks and get rid of the 11 lines between my eyes.

My family tells me I resemble my late grandmother. If I changed my face, I wouldn't look like her or anyone else in my family anymore. That would be a bit sad. Truthfully I was never happy with my looks when I was younger. Now I'm content, not thrilled, but OK. Still on the no-makeup thing (6 wks!) and surprisingly don't mind how I look without it. I'm actually more comfortable having someone look at me close up without makeup than with (is my eyeshadow creasing? eyeliner smeared? powder blended?). It's quite liberating.

One surgery I would do if I had to would be breast reduction. As a 34A I'll never have to worry, but why go through life being so physically uncomfortable?

SiouzQ.
7-31-11, 11:02am
Another almost 50 here! I have a lot of mixed feelings about this issue, having had a nose job when I was in my teens that greatly aided in my self-confidence. I am noticing so many new signs of aging, but I have to say that I am my own worst critic. Most of the time I believe that I look younger than I am and many people have told me I look like I am still in my mid-thirties, especially when my hair was long. I have suffered a blow to my self-image this summer after cutting off 15 inches of wild red curls; on one hand I "look" younger, probably because all the weight of that hair was dragging my face down, but I think I look less "cool" and now more mature . I spent the last 5 years re-living my wild twenties or something and while I had a lot of fun, I simply cannot live that lifestyle anymore and don't really want to. I have continued to loose a few pounds gradually because I eat a very healthy diet, have been exercising and hardly ever drink beer anymore. I rarely smoke any cigarettes and I get enough sleep finally. I am healthier in many ways than I ever was.

I don't have very many wrinkles at all, but some fine lines around my eyes that I don't mind. If I had the money I would seriously consider getting derma-brasion to erase 30 years worth of acne scars. I have cut waaaay down on the amount of make-up this summer and just use a tiny bit of concealer in places to cover up scars, a brief dash of eyebrow pencil blended in very carefully and some mascara, which really opens up my eyes, which I think are my best feature.

Ooops! I just looked at the clock and I HAVE to get ready for work ~ probably more on this later as it is a subject I have been thinking about a lot ~ how will I age gracefully in my life?

Spartana
7-31-11, 1:38pm
I guess I don't look at SOME types of cosmetic surgury as unnatural anymore than I look at wearing makeup or grooming or styling your hair as unnatural. All that is done to look better or look younger so I don't really see a difference. I mean, if we really wanted to opt for the REAL natural look we wouldn't do anything to improve our looks - just hop in the shower and that's it! No shaving or trimming nails or hair. No make up to "look" better or younger. Just run a brush thru the hair once a day and never have it styled, cut or colored. We'd be like animals (or men :-)!). So I guess unless a person is DRASTICLY changing their appearance or doing something like a full facelift (or breast job, nose job, etc...) that requires major surgury, I see it as the same as other grooming or improvment things people do. BUT would I do it? Still on the fence about that but not because I think it's unnatural, but mostly because I'm afraid of a bloched job as well as I'm not sure I'd want to pay the big bucks. And since I like the way I look - and think I look youngish still for my age - I'll do nothing now.

Wildflower
8-1-11, 4:29am
Well, everyday grooming doesn't come with the health risks and potential bad outcomes that cosmetic surgery can. To me anything that involves anesthesia, cutting, placing or injecting a foreign substances into your body is just not comparable to putting make-up on or keeping your hair styled, etc. Just my 2cents. :)

Spartana
8-1-11, 2:18pm
Well, everyday grooming doesn't come with the health risks and potential bad outcomes that cosmetic surgery can. To me anything that involves anesthesia, cutting, placing or injecting a foreign substances into your body is just not comparable to putting make-up on or keeping your hair styled, etc. Just my 2cents. :)

That's why I said "SOME" rather than all. My point was that there are alot of things people do to improve looks just for appearance sake that we consider "natural". Things like braces and other dental procerdures, removing that giant wart or mole on the nose, etc.. Where as we consider many type of cosmetic procedures that are minimally invasive - or even non-invasive - as unnatural. We also consider most things we do like dying hair, wearing uncomfortable clothes (hig heels for example), wearing a bunch of chemicals on our faces day in and day out as "natural". Just sayin' ;-)!

Spartana
8-1-11, 5:32pm
OK another thought - do you think if you were over 40, single and unattached that you'd be more (or less) likely to have some kind of cosmetic procedure? If your were married would you be more (or less) likely to have something done? Doesn't have to be the big surgical thing - just remove some age spots or discoloration? Maybe teeth whitening? A bit of non-invasive lasering for the skin or botox for the wrtinkles? How about an injection into the face to plump up the skin or lips? Hey, nothing more natural then sucking out your butt fat and injecting it into your lips! Gives new meaning to the words "Kiss my :moon:" :D

the rickster
8-1-11, 6:04pm
I don't know, maybe this is a guy thing. But I wouldn't do it.

I do understand the thought process, though. When I was 19, I started going bald. Since this was the early 70's, hair was much more of a big deal than it is now, and my hope was to grow nice long hippie hair. Nature, however, didn't have that plan for me. I was totally bummed and actually visited some of those scummy grow-new-hair consultants in hopes that they had the magic answer. Of course, they didn't (this was long before Rogaine) and gradually I got used to the idea that short hair was my future. I'm much more comfortable with this now--I'm mid 50's--partly due to "growing up" and partly because balding is "cooler" now.

One thing I would do, though, if I were going to consider cosmetic surgery, would be to get some good doctor recommendations. There are an awful lot of horror stories out there.

Kestra
8-1-11, 7:06pm
OK another thought - do you think if you were over 40, single and unattached that you'd be more (or less) likely to have some kind of cosmetic procedure? If your were married would you be more (or less) likely to have something done? Doesn't have to be the big surgical thing - just remove some age spots or discoloration? Maybe teeth whitening? A bit of non-invasive lasering for the skin or botox for the wrtinkles? How about an injection into the face to plump up the skin or lips? Hey, nothing more natural then sucking out your butt fat and injecting it into your lips! Gives new meaning to the words "Kiss my :moon:" :D

Interesting thoughts. I'm not 40 yet, and I'm married. Always very natural - no make-up, don't dye hair. As a married person I do want to remain attractive to DH but mostly that means not getting fat and maintaining basic hygiene. Since he's fine with natural now, he should be after 40 as well. It also allows him to be low maintenance as well. As a married person, maybe teeth whitening, but probably nothing else on your list. Likely exercising as the main way to stay attractive.

If I was single, it would depend on whether I was getting dates or not and whether I wanted dates. If I really wanted a relationship and it just wasn't happening I'd probably consider getting things done a little bit, but not full cosmetic surgery. Whether I would actually do it, I don't know. However I doubt getting dates would be a big issue since I'm fine with dating older guys and wouldn't want a lot of dating.

Spartana
8-1-11, 9:25pm
OOps! forgot to put my own thoughts: If I was single and dating I would be LESS likely to do anything because I'd want to be with someone would liked me for me - warts and all :-)!. However if I was married I'd be MORE likely to do it because I would already know that he liked me for me and not just for my looks. Plus the poor guy has got to be seen in public with me :-)! In reality I wouldn't do it for anyone but myself - and being the cheapskape I am I probably wouldn't do much, if anything, unless something really bothered me.

pony mom
8-1-11, 11:51pm
I'm over 40 and still single and haven't been dating regularly. However, while past boyfriends may have found my look attractive, it was my personality that caught their attention (I hope that's meant as a compliment). They did say they thought I was pretty, but it was our personalities that made our time together special. So at 45 I know my looks aren't what they were 20 years ago, but my outgoing personality and sense of humor are what people remark on so that's what I've got to work with. Looks are ever-changing and will definitely be changing in a not-so-good way in the coming years and I'll do what I can with hair/diet/exercise/makeup (when I start wearing it again, if ever) and hope that'll be enough.

Looks may attract someone, but personality is what will keep them. I hope. Who wants to be with someone who looks great but is a bore to be with. A few years ago someone I worked with mentioned to me that she noticed that I had friends who weren't very attractive and asked if it made me feel more attractive. I was a bit offended and said that I never really noticed their level of attractiveness and that we were friends because we all had fun together and got along well. Looks were never an issue.

As to the cosmetic procedure dilemma, I suppose if I felt so awful about my looks that it made me negative and not so much fun to be with, I would do it IF it would give me confidence to be a person people want to be around. If something bothers you, change it if you want to, but it'll only fix what's wrong on the outside.