PDA

View Full Version : Monthly school/homeschool/learning discussion anyone?

Stella
7-30-11, 2:37pm
The homeschool thread a while back and Fidgiegirl's frequent education related facebook posts (love those!) have got me thinking that it could be fun to have a monthly thread to share thoughts, ideas, projects and resources relating to learning and teaching. Even just sharing what we are doing in our school/homeschool today or this week. There are a lot of us here that are involved in one way or another, as parents or teachers.

We're still in laid-back summer mode with our homeschooling. We're exploring the outdoors quite a bit and going on field trips about once a week. I'm trying to focus on places we couldn't go to in the winter. This week the girls caught a frog and observed him for a little while. We're taking an unschooling approach this summer. I think we'll get more structured in the fall, but I don't know how much yet. When I started homeschooling last year I was much more rigid in my planning, but I'm finding that I'm loosening up a bit. So much learning happens without me having to force it.

I am gearing up to start the process of having our homeschool accredited. It's $400 for the year but it means we won't have to take the annual test or have any dealings with the school district aside from the beginning of the year form. I am also considering taking on an older, part-time homeschool kid for my friend. We'll see how that pans out.

I mentioned in a few other threads that my kids have asked for cooking lessons. I found some fun resources for that I'll share.

Kids cooking magazine (http://www.chopchopmag.org/)

Healthy recipes for kids (http://blog.superhealthykids.com/)

What are you doing?

Rosemary
7-31-11, 8:54am
Stella, I discovered that there is a local magazine for kids with an interest in food. Spotted it in Linden Hills a few weeks ago. I didn't get a chance to look through it, but I think they have samples online. It's out of St Paul.
http://www.ingredientmag.com/

We like Mollie Katzen's cookbooks for kids - the food is somewhat healthier than most, and veers away from the "kid standards" while still being kid-friendly. Your library should have them - Pretend Soup and Honest Pretzels. Mostly, though, we don't use specific recipes.

We don't homeschool, and I try to keep summer unscheduled aside from a few activities, but out summer learning activities this year include cooking lessons and a big focus on the outdoors and the garden. DD's also taking swimming lessons, piano, and violin, so aside from those lesson times we limit structure.

Mrs. Hermit
7-31-11, 9:38am
What I am doing this summer is trying to get my head around only having 1 child in homeschool now that the other 5 have graduated! She and I have been working on real-life skills, like job applications, work ethic (showing up on time, sticking to task, etc.) and time management skills such as using a planner, working from a computer-based planner vs a paper planner.

Bastelmutti
7-31-11, 10:08am
We don't homeschool, and I try to keep summer unscheduled aside from a few activities, but out summer learning activities this year include cooking lessons and a big focus on the outdoors and the garden. DD's also taking swimming lessons, piano, and violin, so aside from those lesson times we limit structure.

We plan the summer similarly. DD1 has been baking, which has been great. DD2 took swimming lessons. DH is a teacher, so they have kept up with reading (whatever they want) and have done a bit of math (baking counts toward that, for instance, as do math games on the computer). Otherwise we have been traveling quite a bit, which is always a learning experience in and of itself.

Stella
7-31-11, 1:53pm
Oh cool! Thanks for the link Rosemary. That looks like a fun magazine! I might put that on the Christmas present list.

I have checked out the book Pretend Soup before. The kids loved that one and I liked that it was healthier. I haven't seen Honest Pretzels. I'll have to look for that.

Mrs. Hermit, I can imagine that would be a big adjustment! I'll be there someday. Right now we are just starting on the school journey since the oldest of my four is a second grader.

Bastelmutti, that sounds like a fun summer! Where have you been traveling to?

Bastelmutti
8-1-11, 10:17am
We've been away a few times locally within the Midwest (3 different friends who have summer places in 3 different states graciously invited us to visit) and then one long car trip to Florida through many Southern states we had never visited before. Very fun! (but then I only have 2 kids!)

Stella
8-1-11, 11:26am
That sounds like fun!

We are going to be attempting a road trip with all four kids to California this winter. It could be really fun...or not. :) I expect it will be a good learning experience, though. In lieu of Christmas presents each adult is going to pay for a "thing to do" like the zoo or a museum. I think our gift will be taking the kids whale watching.

Bastelmutti
8-2-11, 12:03am
IL to FL roundtrip was over 3k miles. Two words, Stella - story CDs! Your kids are probably too young for it yet, but each Harry Potter is about 25 hours or something of entertainment! We have found lots of good books on CD and podcasts that are equally interesting for kids and adults, and it really helps entertain everyone. Also - motels with a pool. Our other saving grace.

Stella
8-2-11, 7:09am
That's a great idea! I actually think the girls might be ready for the first Harry Potter book. It's not as dark as the later ones. This has got me thinking. There are a few books I might look for as audiobooks.

I was thinking hotels with pools would be a blessing too. Let the kids use up some energy at night. This is going to be a 3 week trip. Pray for me. :)

Bastelmutti
8-2-11, 9:12am
I always recommend Charlie and the Chocolate Factory read by Eric Idle and James and the Giant Peach read by Jeremy Irons. Anything in the Beverly Cleary (Ramona) or Judy Blume (Fudge) world is also a favorite. Laura Linney reads an awesome Nancy Drew, but that might be too old yet for your kids. We used to have great Dr. Seuss readings on tape, but don't know if those are available on CD or download.

Three weeks might be tough, but if your kids are used to "going with the flow" it should be fine! Pools!!!

Bastelmutti
8-2-11, 9:13am
PS - We did some fun stuff in the hotel rooms like brought our popcorn popper and made popcorn (espresso maker for coffee for the adults) and made grilled cheese sandwiches using a sandwich wrapped in foil & the hotel room iron. Really fun!

Stella
8-2-11, 9:35am
Fun! My kids would love the ironed grilled cheese especially.

Rosemary
8-2-11, 8:48pm
I found a finger guard today that will make me feel much better when teaching DD knife safety in the kitchen. What else do you do to teach kids how to cook -- safely -- when they're ready to move beyond just measuring and mixing?

DD had a good geology lesson on our outing today.

Stella
8-3-11, 5:13pm
Rosemary where did you find the knife guard? That sounds like something I would be interested in getting! I am interested in the safety question too.

I got an offer from a neighbor to help with homeschooling if I need it. She's a retired lady and a grandmother so she suggested that even if the kids just needed a change of scenery in the winter they could go to her house and she'd work on some lessons with them. I love that!

The girls and some of their friends started The Party Club this week. They will meet once a month and have a party for the neighborhood kids. It's kind of the neighborhood version of the adult monthly coffee hour we have in my neighborhood.

They do most of the planning and executing of the parties, but another mom, a grandma and I will help. The idea was originally just to stop them all constantly asking me to throw together an impromptu party everyday, but I think there are some good lessons here in planning, organizing and executing the event, making the food, writing out the invitations, dividing tasks based on interest and talent and all that. It's good socializing too.

The first party is just going to be a cupcakes and punch thing at the playground. Some other ideas we have had are:

-Some of the kids that play instuments could play at the park for their open mic music morning and we could invite people to watch and bring refreshments.

-Pumpkin parade (we did this last year too) and Halloween party

-Pumpkin patch picnic

-Outdoor movie night

-Christmas party

-Tea party

I had this house stuffed full of kiddos this morning from little ones up to age 12 and all of them were excited about the idea and talking about what they could bring to the table as far as talents and resources. There's another good lesson. Collaboration and cooperation!

If this takes off the way it seems to be, I may have the beginnings of the 4H group I have been wanting to start.

Rosemary
8-3-11, 9:51pm
Stella, here is the finger guard for use with a knife: http://amzn.com/B000I1Y9OY (they have other designs there as well)
I've looked for knives that might be safer for kids than my regular kitchen knives, but all the ones that are marketed for kids are not useful in the kitchen as far as I can tell.

re: audiobooks - my daughter is about a year older than your oldest, Stella, and she absolutely loved reading Harry Potter books 1 & 2 last winter. We stopped after that. And her recent favourites in audio books: Charlie & the Chocolate Factory, any Beverly Clearly book, Wizard of Oz, and the later Little House books.

However, I find it difficult to listen to audio books in the car - with average road noise on the highway, it's hard to hear unless the volume is very high. I do put them on an MP3 player for DD to listen to with enclosed headphones in the car, though.

Stella
8-4-11, 8:56am
Thanks for the link Rosemary. That is pretty inexpensive. I might have to order that.

Thanks for the book information too. I was just thinking of getting some Beverly Cleary books for the girls. I loved those as a kid.

Gardenarian
8-9-11, 9:57pm
The party club sounds really fun!
My dd is 12 and went to a couple of camps this summer - a Girl Scout camp where they did a lot of horseback riding and horsemanship, and right now she's at a farm camp that she has attended for the past few years. She gets to milk the cows and goats, card wool, collect honey, etc.
I'm in planning mode for the fall. dd is already signed up for several dance classes, drama, choir, nature studies, gymnastics, art, Girl Scouts, and guitar. The laboratory science class she was part of last year seems to have fallen apart, and so I'm trying to put something together with some other parents. Also trying to put together something for foreign language. We've done a bit of Latin, Spanish, & Italian, but she really wants to learn French.
We'll be getting into some advanced math this year so I better study up! I remember almost nothing past easy algebra.

Stella
8-10-11, 9:16am
Gardenarian have you ever tried Khan Academy? That might be a help in brushing up on your math, and it's free.

I got the school supplies all organized. I got Cheyenne and Bella each a stack of their own colour of notebooks and their own colour of index card holder for sight words and their own watercolour set, but most of the school supplies are shared. I have a deep love of fresh school supplies.

I figured out what test we are going to take to meet the state requirement and have decided not to go the accreditation route this year. The homeschool laws have loosened, so I am waiting for the new homeschool reporting forms from the MN Homeschool Alliance and then I will file that.

Gardenarian
8-11-11, 8:17pm
Ooh, I hadn't tried the Khan academy! The practices are really fun - thank you so much Stella!

:thankyou:

Stella
8-11-11, 10:37pm
I'm glad you liked it! We use khan academy for math sometimes and the kids just love it.

Stella
8-16-11, 1:04pm
I have decided to get the girls in on the planning for the trips. I think there are a lot of good learning opportunities here.

Geography- We're going to get a map of North America and put it on a corkboard. We'll use pins to chart all of the places we visit. We're also going to use the Road Atlas their great-uncle sent and map our routes, putting a marker at the places we are planning to stay overnight or stop for a visit.

Research skills and Technology- We have AAA so we can get travel guides to the places we will be driving through. The kids can look at those, the Roadfood and Diners Drive-ins and Dives website and the Roadside America website for some ideas on places to eat and visit. We'll look up websites for the cities we are visiting for more ideas.

Math and decision making- We are going to add up the cost of all of the things we want to do and then try to narrow it down to keep it within a budget. The kids can help with the calculations.

Planning and organization skills- I want the kids to help decide what to pack (I get veto power!) pick audiobooks for the trip and snacks that meet my nutritional approval. We'll look at our list of activities to help us decide what we need to bring (for example, swimming suits for hotel pools) and discuss alternatives that can save space, for example, using the hotel towels instead of packing our own.

Isabella has asked for a messenger style bag for a Christmas present. I have two different patterns for messenger bags in my sewing stuff, one is kid sized and the other has a clear plastic pocket for a map. I am going to let the kids pick out which one they want and which fabric they want it in and we will sew one for them before the trips. That will be their outing bag where they can carry their own stuff like swimming suits, water bottles, snacks and cameras.

Stella
8-22-11, 12:35pm
We're going to the King Tut Exhibit at the Science Museum tonight! I'm very excited! This is the beginning of a mini unit on Ancient Egypt.

Next week we're starting a unit on The Little House in the Big Woods. The Little House in the Big Woods is not terribly far from here and they have a festival in September we are hoping to attend. We are going to visit another pioneer era farm and go berry picking, bake bread with flour we'll mill ourselves, make cheese and other fun stuff like that. We printed off and assembled a free lapbook on the book too. I'm getting excited!

Anne Lee
8-22-11, 12:52pm
Stella, can I be in your home school?

Stella
8-22-11, 10:30pm
LOL. Absolutely Anne!

julia
8-23-11, 4:21am
Stella, can I be in your home school?

I've had to give up work for a while because of mental health issues, and reading this has made me realise that I can play 'homeschool' on my own to avoid feeling panicky about having unstructured days at home alone.

I think it's a great idea to follow some of Stella's topics at my own level and with my own resources - or is there some sort of free grown-up study programme online that people can do with just online resources?

Stella
8-23-11, 5:55am
Julia, I know several universities, like MIT for example, have their courseware available for free online. Google Open Courseware. That might be a good place to start. If there are specific things you would like to learn I might be able to find more resources for you.

I think it's great you are being so proactive about dealing with your anxiety. I am the same way when I feel unstructured and like I don't have a goal. I need things to keep my brain busy.

julia
8-23-11, 9:33am
Thanks, Stella. I'm struggling to get into a non-working routine as I'm still supply teaching some days, but that's due to finish at the end of this week and I don't think there'll be any more for a while.

The main thing I'm into is language learning - my three best languages are German, Spanish and Italian. The BBC do some great little free courses online but they're only short - do you know of any free online courses at higher levels?

Bastelmutti
8-23-11, 9:59am
Julia,
There is a site called LiveMocha where you can take language classes and converse/correspond with native speakers.

PS Just saw this on Get Rich Slowly:
http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2011/08/22/how-to-learn-a-foreign-language-without-spending-a-cent/

flowerseverywhere
8-23-11, 10:39am
Before the days when people had dvd's in the car, we used to play games in the car.

check out this site for lots of cool in the car games, lots of spelling, geography and math suggestions, for young and older kids, including figuring out gas mileage, spotting license plates etc.

http://www.momsminivan.com/bigkids.html

and here are more suggestions

http://www.gameskidsplay.net/games/mental_games/car_games.htm

also, there is a good chance that you can find books on tape or CD at the library that you could get for each child to read and follow along.

Just for a laugh I remember seeing a quilt once that someone had exhibited in a quilt show. It was a picture of a space ship with kids in the windows of the back seats with a bubble on the top "are we there yet?"

creaker
8-23-11, 12:25pm
Gardenarian have you ever tried Khan Academy? That might be a help in brushing up on your math, and it's free.

I got the school supplies all organized. I got Cheyenne and Bella each a stack of their own colour of notebooks and their own colour of index card holder for sight words and their own watercolour set, but most of the school supplies are shared. I have a deep love of fresh school supplies.

I figured out what test we are going to take to meet the state requirement and have decided not to go the accreditation route this year. The homeschool laws have loosened, so I am waiting for the new homeschool reporting forms from the MN Homeschool Alliance and then I will file that.

The producer of Khan Academy was interviewed on NPR recently - I wish we had this resource when we were homeschooling! If anyone hasn't checked it out I strongly recommend it.

We used Saxon math books, which were a bit pricey, but an excellent resource.