PDA

View Full Version : Looking for lentil tacos filling recipe

Tradd
7-30-11, 4:25pm
I am looking for a lentil tacos filling recipe. Please pass along one that is a tried and true favorite. I'm trying to be more frugal in the kitchen and I love me some tacos! :D

Thanks!

Rosemary
7-31-11, 8:45am
I've made lentil tacos before, but I don't really use a recipe. If you have a favorite chicken or beef taco filling recipe, just use that. Otherwise, cook the lentils, then add some tomato paste (not too much), sauteed onions and garlic, and season with cumin, oregano, and a little salt. You can also add some green chiles, minced, or a can of green chiles. Lime juice if you like that, too. For very easy taco filling (but saltier), you can add salsa to the lentils instead of the above.

Tacos are mostly about all the flavors together, so if you have a lot of good toppings (we use lots of fresh vegetables and a little cheese, avocado if we have it), the filling doesn't need to be elaborate.

Black bean tacos are also very tasty.

Fawn
7-31-11, 8:56am
Well, this recipe is probably not at the level of sophistication that you are looking for, but it is tried and true. My kids love it, and I use the leftover taco "meat" on salads.

2 cups water
1 cup pink lentils (MUST be pink lentils, they don't taste as "muddy" as the other colors)
1 package taco seasoning (I get mine from Aldi)

Cook on medium heat for 20 minutes stirrring occasionally.

Thats all.

Anne Lee
8-8-11, 9:40pm
I use Mark Bittman's lentils and brown rice recipe. (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/02/weekinreview/02recipes-2.html) No meat, of course. It makes a HUGE serving, so I freeze it in four 2 cup containers. In each two cups just before eating, I add a splash of olive oil, small can of green chilies and some roasted red peppers, and a mix of chili powder, cumin and garlic salt*. I then whirl in the food processor. My carnivore sons LOVE it.

*I mix up a batch of my own taco seasoning. I think it's a half cup chili powder, a a half cup cumin, and teaspoon garlic salt. I keep it on hand and shake on anything that needs a little punch.