PDA

View Full Version : Looking younger without cosmetic surgery--face cream!

rodeosweetheart
8-1-11, 2:55pm
Not sure if this is the right place, but wanted to branch off of Spartana's interesting plastic surgery thread.

I wanted to poll people for what kind of face cream they use that gets amazing results and is cheap.

In the 60's and 70's, my mother swore by Bonne Bell cream--some kind of night cream I have been looking for and never found. She consistently looked 10 years younger than her age, never wore makeup, and now, at 85, looks about 70. I think it is partly faithful use of face cream. We are southerners and have certainly gotten lots of sun in our day, so it was not avoiding the sun, not for her, anyway.

I have used various things over the years and have lots of allergies, so clinique was always good.; I am now trying Boots (got it at Target.) day marshmellow and night. Not crazy about the retin-A kind of creams and understand about UVA, but personally do not like chemical blocks--used to use Clinique city block for that.

Used to like Avon Anew (I think they changed it, or discontinued?)

Does anyone have a secret cheap wonderful cream that I can try, use for the next 30 years, and still look okay?

Just saw a picture of Caroline Kennedy, who is 2 years younger than I and a wonderful person, but I do not seem to have as many wrinkles--of course my eyesight is also failing, which can be a blessing sometimes.

Miss Cellane
8-1-11, 4:21pm
Some wrinkling is also genetic--I'm clearly taking after Mom's side of the family--late to wrinkle and late to turn grey, while siblings who are 10 years younger than me are far more wrinkled and grey than I am, because they take after Dad's side of the family.

I'm 51. People usually think I'm around 40. I've been using the basic Clinique moisturizer since I was 20. And I stay out of the sun, because I'm very fair skinned and burn easily. I don't wear any makeup.

rodeosweetheart
8-1-11, 4:38pm
Hi Miss Cellane, do you just use the basic Clinque moisturize? Or do you use a night cream or something? You know, the basic that is part of the three step--do you use the 3 step? mabye I should just go back to Clinique--I love the regular moisturizer, but wonder if I am getting enough deep moisture at night.

Tiam
8-1-11, 4:47pm
I don't wear any night creams. Occassionally I'll just rub hand lotion on my face. I don't have wrinkles at 52. But I do wear make up. Mostly I wear a foundation or mineral powders because I dislike my red, uneven skin tone. So, I don't know what cream to recommend.

frugal-one
8-1-11, 5:03pm
I purchased unopened Fruit of the Earth Cocoa Butter Aloe & Vitamin E at a yard sale years ago. The woman said her aunt used it and always looked younger than her years. I really like it and so does my husband. I have few wrinkles and my neck is normal (no turkey neck for me)! BTW I am in my late 50s.

http://www.fote.com/prod_skin_lotion.html The last listing on the page is the one I use. HTH

Spartana
8-1-11, 5:08pm
Even at my age I tend to have oily skin (but no wrinkles - YAY!) so I don't wear any creams at all except sunscreen in the day time - which I remove with plain old bar soap as soon as I am indoors otherwise I break out. At night I use very tiny amount (just around my eyes and forehead) of a 100% oil free lotion "Clean & Clean Dual Action Mosturizer" that also has salicytic acid in it. I NEVER put it on any other facial area except my neck (hoping it'll reduce some scarring I have there). No breakouts, no wrinkling, and no dryness. I will tell you that about 10 years ago I read an article about how using lotions on your face actually can dry your face out more - and that using acne trratments can cause even more breakouts. So I tried an experiment and put absolutrely NOTHING on my face for several months. Just washed it with a plain bar soap (Pure and Natural by Dial) and that's it. It was amazing! No breakouts, no oiliness, no dryness. So ever since then I just choose to leave my face blank and just wash it with soap and water and blot it dry. I heard that this is also true for chapstick - that using it often can actually make your lips more dry.

Miss Cellane
8-1-11, 5:48pm
Hi Miss Cellane, do you just use the basic Clinque moisturize? Or do you use a night cream or something? You know, the basic that is part of the three step--do you use the 3 step? mabye I should just go back to Clinique--I love the regular moisturizer, but wonder if I am getting enough deep moisture at night.

I just use the yellow moisturizer that's part of the three step program they have. Although now I remember that sometimes in the winter I will use their Moisture Surge stuff, if my skin gets dry.

But my skin is naturally pretty oily, even now that I'm in my 50s, and I think that's a key factor as well. My baby sister is 10 years younger than me, has always used sun screen (it wasn't a big deal when I was a teen) and moisturizes faithfully--but her skin is much drier. She never had acne as a teen the way I did--I had serious problems well into my 30s. Baby Sis has wrinkled much more than I have--I never point it out, but she makes a point of checking for crow's feet when we meet up.

I honestly don't know if any cream will help much. A lot depends on how your particular skin ages.

I've heard a lot of good things about Oil of Olay products. I've just never been motivated to try them.

rodeosweetheart
8-1-11, 6:15pm
I agree, oiliness of skin, a curse when young, is a boon when older. I too have read that about Oil of Olay, which was actually developed for French fliers with burns on their skin--a cool story. Very effective and cheap. It's also something I am allergic to, so that one is out.

I am going to rethink Clinique and the Fruit of the Earth. The Fruit of the Earth is the kind of thing I am looking for--sort of off brands, not real expensive, that may be sleepers/

Thanks!

pinkytoe
8-1-11, 6:20pm
I have always used Jason's 80% Aloe moisturizing cream after I wash my face. It is around $7 but lasts a long time. Very light, no smell and doesn't have mineral oil, parabens, color etc.

iris lily
8-1-11, 11:25pm
The most important thing you can do to have good skin is to pick your parents. After that, stay out of the sun with the skin they gave you.

The rest of it is a crock, IMHO. I don't use "face cream" and think it's an advertising gimmick. Just one more product to sell. I remember learning recently that there is "body wash" which apparently is different than soap and apparently isn't intended for the face, so washing your face with something else is ? preferred? It's all too complicated for me. Personally, I don't watch my face unless I've done dirty work or sweaty work.

Tradd
8-1-11, 11:58pm
For those of us with oilier skin, Clinique now has a version of the yellow moisturizer that's a GEL! I love it! Much better feeling on my face than the lotion.

pony mom
8-2-11, 12:18am
I have rosacea and have to be careful what I use. The past few years I've been doing alot of research and this has been working well for me. Oh, I do use as many natural, paraben/cruelty free products as I can. Always had oily skin and break out easily just from touching my face with dirty hands (try staying clean around a horse).

Morning: rinse with warm water. Sometimes use Thayer's witch hazel (alcohol free--many are not). Then Boscia Oil Free Daily Hydration SPF 15. Boscia is a fantastic skincare line, free of chemicals and great for all skin types, especially sensitive. Sephora gives generous samples.

Evening: I've been doing the Oil Cleansing Method, which goes against everything I thought about oily skin, but it's working really well. Olive oil and castor oil--can't get much simpler than that. Then I use Boscia Purifying Cleansing Gel (their top seller, very gentle, unscented and lasts forever) with a Clarisonic Mia cleansing brush (made by Sonicare and is definitely worth the expense). My face has never felt or looked cleaner and I think this routine is why I can go without makeup now. Moisturizer is Avalon Organics Lavender Moisturizer--another great natural line (and inexpensive through vitacost.com). This is for sensitive skin, but their Vitamin C line may be better for aging skin. This winter I may try jojoba oil since it's as close to your natural oil as you can get, but I'm quite happy with my routine now.

Once a week I use Av. Org. Lavender scrub, followed by cleansing and a Queen Helene Mint Julep mask (top seller everywhere).

Cetaphil is a horrible chemical-laden soap so don't believe what derms. write about it. Skin absorbs so much directly into your system so be careful what you put on it. Most soaps actually strip away your skin's oil, which will dry you out, which makes your skin produce more oil. Expensive isn't always better; check your current products on cosmeticsdatabase.com to see how safe/harmful they are. Read reviews on everything and see what other people think--let them waste money if it doesn't work.

Since I work in a spa, I've learned a bit about facials. Glycolic peels will sort of burn off topical damage and it will look instantly better. Collagen will plump up areas around eyes/lips temporarily (great before an event). Clean skin at night is extremely important and many people don't remove makeup before bed. Skin rejuvenates at night which is why some nighttime moisturizers contain products to promote that. Daytime ones usually contain sunscreen; if not, apply it separately. Exfoliation, either with a gentle scrub or a Clarisonic, removes dead skin and does what alpha/beta hydroxy acids and similar ingredients do.

That's it. Off my soapbox. I wish I knew what I know now years ago when my skin was very bad with acne. I used Dial soap and Bonne Belle alcohol-based toner to dry up the oiliness. Using the OCM now has actually balanced my skin and made it less oily in the summer and not so dry in the winter.

ApatheticNoMore
8-2-11, 2:02am
Even staying out of the sun is slightly ridiculous. Now, I actually take serious precaution against the sun (lotion, hats, etc.). I'm not saying: take up tanning as a hobby. But avoiding the thing entirely seems equally silly. Never go out for a walk in the sun. Never garden outside on a beautiful day. Hide with the curtains drawn always as if you were nocturnal. That is NOT LIVING! Not living as a non-nocturnal mammal that evolved to live on a particular planet orbiting a certain star anyway. :)

As a reward for all your careful avoidance in the long run you may have flawless skin ... oh AND CANCER! Pretty high price to be paid for vanity. There is the link between lack of sun exposure, vitamin D and all types of serious internal cancers.

I wear sunburn lotion pretty much everyday, but I guess it's not enough. I do have wrinkles. I suppose it's my deserved punishment for having ever stepped outside in a moment of sheer enjoyment of a beautiful day.

Blackdog Lin
8-2-11, 6:08am
At 54 my wrinkles are minimal, and I think it's partly genetic and partly moisturization. I've used Avon's Anew since they first came out with it (15 years?). But I quit using it this year in protest: they quit offering the "plain" Anew, at a reasonable price, and now only have the "specialized" Anew(s), at double the price. I'm currently dabbling in the various lower-cost drug store moisturizers - don't know what I'll end up liking.

crunchycon
8-2-11, 6:24am
I second the oil cleansing - it absolutely rocks. It has really helped minimize those lovely lines that run nose to mouth. I use mineral makeup with sunscreen on my face only during the week (sunscreen on the body only on weekends when I will be spending more than an hour outside -- I want the Vitamin D also!) At 52, I don't look 26 any more, but I could pass for quite a bit younger. I think it's about finding something that works for you and using it consistently.

rodeosweetheart
8-2-11, 8:41am
Thanks for all of these great ideas--lots to think about and try. I did find the Fruit of the Earth vit E on amazon special--2 four ounces for under 3 dollars. Am also feeling a craving for Clinique again. I love the way it feels on my skin. I think you have to look to find something that works with your particular body chemistry!

Yes, I agree, Vit D deficiency seems to be linked to cancer. No shortage of Vit D for me-- we walk on the beach year round! It has definitely improved my moods. My mom grew up in Southern Georgia and never wore any kind of sunscreen, ever, and has gorgeous skin at 85, thus the face cream thread. Personally, am not a fan of staying out of the sun, but hey,. it is definitely genetics, and we have Cherokee, Swiss, Scottish, black Irish, so do better than my cousins who have more Scottish and are very very fair.

My son's father was half Russian, and he took after the Scotch Irish, so heis very pale and had eyes like a Husky when he was a kid. He married a very pale Italian/English girl and they both hate the sun and moved to Portland because they do not do well inthe heat. I did slather the sunblock on him as a baby, even though I do not do it for myself!

madgeylou
8-2-11, 8:43am
i'm 38, and i don't look like a teenager or anything, but i do look "youthful" i guess haha -- people are always surprised when i tell them my age. i've always had nice skin and i only have wrinkles when i smile, which i am okay with! :)

i do very little with my skin -- when i wear makeup (about half the time) i take it off at night and put on a moisturizer. i had been using cetaphil but last week i bought the sephora brand moisturizer after trying it at the store and really liking it. it's paraben-free and it's just lovely -- really seems to plump up and hydrate my skin and it was $20 for a pot of it that i think will last me at least half a year.

i tried plain coconut oil a few winters ago, and until then i never understood what people meant when they said a certain product made them break out. it wasn't for me!

Rosemary
8-2-11, 8:53am
I don't put anything on my skin, and have no wrinkles (yet). I avoid peak sun hours in summer because I can't stand being hot and also can't stand putting sunscreen on all over, but otherwise generally go outside without sunscreen, unless it's going to be an all-day or by-the-water event. I wash my skin, including face, with olive oil soap. My complexion is better than it was when I was 30, although I followed a similar soap-only regimen then. Don't overlook the importance of a truly healthy diet.

madgeylou
8-2-11, 8:57am
Don't overlook the importance of a truly healthy diet.

that's a really good point! when we are well rested, engaged with life, and feeling good and strong in our bodis is when we are at our most beautiful.

a side note: i ate some bread a few days ago (which i almost never do nowadays) and when i woke up the next morning, i had a new double chin! and my eyes and cheeks looked all puffy! craziness. gives me one more reason to stay off the wheat. :)

Glo
8-2-11, 11:36am
I think most of it is genetics. But, I've used oil of olay for more than 30 years and people say I look younger than my 64 years. For these years I've always used Purpose face soap. Years ago I had contact dermatitis and a dermotologist recommened using that. My mother didn't develop many wrinkles until she hit 80.

KayLR
8-2-11, 3:25pm
I agree---a lot of it is genetics. However, the best thing you can do IMHO to not wrinkle, is to NOT smoke. Stay adequately hydrated, and use a moisturizer with SPF. I just wash my face with warm water and a wash cloth. I'm 56 and only have the beginnings of crow's feet. Ugh. Couldn't stave them off forever, I guess.

ETA--I do have laugh lines....they don't seem to bother me so much.

Kat
8-2-11, 3:57pm
Well, I'm only 28, but people always think I am much younger. I am incredibly fair; I start to burn in less than five minutes, so I avoid the sun. My skin is also very dry and sensitive. Right now I am using Philosophy brand face wash and Clinique Moisture Surge. When I am done with those, I am thinking about trying the oil cleansing method.

My mother is almost sixty, and she has really beautiful skin. She stays out of the sun and has used Oil of Olay for as long as I can remember. She doesn't use the new fancy anti-aging kind; just the basic wash and night cream. She also washes her face with hot water and rinses with cold. She said the sisters in the convent taught her to do that, and they all had lovely skin (obviously my presence indicates that the nun thing didn't work out for her LOL).

julia
8-2-11, 3:59pm
Pure organic coconut oil here - morning I rub it in then blot it off with a hot, wet facecloth, then evening I put it on and leave it. I'm 47 with very, very difficult skin but wrinkle-free (so far) and no more itchy/scaly/spotty problems since I started the coconut oil.

Merski
8-2-11, 5:48pm
I think it is Allure magazine that lists the best skin care etc. for the year and I know that Aveeno, olay and purpose face soap is on their list of very effective and low cost.

Stella
8-2-11, 7:04pm
Never go out for a walk in the sun. Never garden outside on a beautiful day. Hide with the curtains drawn always as if you were nocturnal. That is NOT LIVING! Not living as a non-nocturnal mammal that evolved to live on a particular planet orbiting a certain star anyway.

I totally agree. Being red headed and fair skinned I do have to protect myself most of the time, but if I have to pay with a few wrinkles for the glorious pleasure of a walk outside in the sunshine, so be it. :) So far, no problems, but I'm 32, so that's not really a miracle or anything. I kind of wish I was like my daughters, who are genetic mutants. Redheads with the ability to tan. That's what you get when you cross Scottish, Swedish, Welsh and Jewish apparently.

Kat, the nuns had the added benefit of lots of quiet and calm time for prayer and contemplation. Somehow I'd imagine that helps. :)

I do very little to my skin. In the winter I use a night cream made by Norwegian nuns. That isn't because it makes me look better but because the lack of humidity and harsh cold are not friendly to skin. It feels lovely.

Gardenarian
8-3-11, 2:01pm
I am also a redhead with skin that is the color of skim milk. I sure wish I had taken care of it when I was younger! I was still getting carded in bars when I was 35! But age, early severe sunburns, chronic pain, and genetics have made me age rapidly - it makes me so sad, because I went from looking 30 to 50 in just a few years! Now I look just like my mom.

I am 53 and my skin is dry, always has been. I have sagging along my jawline, creases between my eyes, lines and wrinkles all over the place. I am trying to put a positive spin on it - how the lines show all my experience and that sort of thing. Still, I am looking for "hope in a jar" as they say, and have tried quite a few face creams. I can not use Retin A as my skin is too sensitive. Most of the cremes and potions I have tried (Anew, Olay) have made me break out in rashes.

A couple of months ago I started using Avalon Organics CoQ10 Firming lotion. I got great results on my arms, legs and throat, with no irritation, so I started using it on my face. I have been using it for a few weeks and have seen a real difference in wrinkles and sagging. It really makes a difference in the surface texture of your skin, and it doesn't contain any nasty ingredients (it's highly rated by the Environmental Working Group.)

It has a strong (natural) fragrance of lavender and bergamot, which I love, but it does fade quickly if you are not crazy about it. I'm really glad I found this lotion, and hope it keeps working!

BTW, I tried the oil cleansing method and found, strangely, that it really dried out my skin! Maybe that's why it works better for oily skin. Go figger!

Jemima
8-3-11, 2:53pm
I seldom use face cream and at almost 66 have few wrinkles, despite smoking for 48 years. (I quit a year ago.) It's mostly genetics (my father got carded for the senior discount at a restaurant when he was 79), but when my skin feels and looks really dry, I use Avon's Moisture Therapy Hand Cream. I also use it as a hair conditioner and it doesn't weigh down my fine-textured, wavy hair. And yes, it's a great hand cream, the only brand that seems to prevent my knuckles from cracking open and bleeding from frequent washing.

crunchycon
8-3-11, 4:14pm
BTW, I tried the oil cleansing method and found, strangely, that it really dried out my skin! Maybe that's why it works better for oily skin. Go figger!

Yep, castor oil in and of itself is quite drying (weird, huh?), so you may have to change the proportions to less castor oil and more olive oil. I slather on a tiny dab of coconut oil at night for a bit more moisture -- I wake up and my skin feels satin-y.

herbgeek
8-3-11, 9:42pm
In my younger days, I used Oil of Olay (my nephew referred to it as Oil of Old Lady-smart --- kid!) but as I get older, I want fewer chemicals on my skin to be absorbed into my body. Lately its a Burts Bee's day cream- it also has a sunscreen in it. Don't use anything at night except in the deep winter where I use sesame oil on my skin before bed.

For washing my face (usually only at night, to remove makeup), I use a mixture of 1/2 Dr. Bronner's soap (I like rose or lavender) with 1/2 sesame oil (for the winter) or 1/2 grapeseed oil (for the summer, as this is a lighter oil). I don't find I really need much moisturizer after this, I only use the Burts Bees for the sunscreen angle. I also mix my body wash 1/2 and 1/2 with oil. I don't feel greasy afterwards, just soft.

I think the biggest factor though is genetics. My mother had fine lines, but not deep lines until her late 60's.