PDA

View Full Version : Movie - "I love You Phillip Morris"

Gizmo
8-1-11, 5:18pm
It stars Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor. Here is the plot summary from amazon:

"Based on a true story, I Love You, Phillip Morris follows Steven Russell (Carrey) from his beginnings as a cop who abuses his position to learn his birth mother's identity to a spectacular con man who embezzles enormous sums of money from a food-service corporation. During one of his bouts of prison, Russell meets Phillip Morris (Ewan McGregor, Moulin Rouge!), a soft-spoken fellow prisoner who becomes the love of Russell's life--but who can't take Russell's free-wheeling, anything to break free and live life to the criminal fullest approach."

This movie was amazingly funny and very good. Ewan is adorable, and Jim's antics are perfect for character Steven Russell - with his crazy cons and memorable prison escapes. The characters are gay... and unrepentant about it - in fact, there are several scenes of Steven and Phillip kissing, etc.

I highly recommend this movie. We rented it on a whim, and loved it. I had never heard of it before seeing it.

iris lily
8-1-11, 11:20pm
I've got this on hold at the Library. It looks pretty funny from the previews.

Zigzagman
8-3-11, 6:44pm
Thank you for the review - I actually was in the process of renting it when the lady at the counter (who I like) told me that I might want to get another one because it was about gays. I told her that I didn't have a problem with gays but she said that given the choice she would choose another movie. I did. I am not really a huge Jim Carrey fan but I think given your review it might be a worth checking out.

I like stories based upon real life events and actually I find gay movies very inspiring unless it is about the actual sexual acts themselves. I just cannot stomach a man kissing another man - now a woman is not that offensive to me (in fact I like it)? I don't know know why?

Peace

Gizmo
8-3-11, 6:56pm
Thank you for the review - I actually was in the process of renting it when the lady at the counter (who I like) told me that I might want to get another one because it was about gays. I told her that I didn't have a problem with gays but she said that given the choice she would choose another movie. I did. I am not really a huge Jim Carrey fan but I think given your review it might be a worth checking out.

I like stories based upon real life events and actually I find gay movies very inspiring unless it is about the actual sexual acts themselves. I just cannot stomach a man kissing another man - now a woman is not that offensive to me (in fact I like it)? I don't know know why?

Peace

There are small number of gay scenes, but the movie is mostly about Steven (Jim Carrey's character)'s crazy escapes from prison and his crazy fraud schemes.

I've been reading more about the guy it was based on, and holy cow! He really did escape from prison 4 times in 5 years, EVERY SINGLE time he just walked right out the front doors with the guards waving goodbye to him. ONE time he REALLY DID escape from prison using nothing but a single magic marker. Seriously. Blows my mind.

I've requested the book about his life from the library. I'll post a review about that when I'm done. It has more detail about him than the movie. It is mostly based on interviews with Steven and people who know him.

puglogic
8-4-11, 2:58pm
I actually was in the process of renting it when the lady at the counter (who I like) told me that I might want to get another one because it was about gays.

Wow. Glad I don't live in a place like that.

I'm not a Jim Carrey fan but I am a Ewan MacGregor fan, so I've put this on my library list. Thanks, Gizmo.

Gizmo
8-4-11, 3:06pm
Thank you for the review - I actually was in the process of renting it when the lady at the counter (who I like) told me that I might want to get another one because it was about gays.

Actually, its really not ABOUT gays, the main characters just happen to be gay. I mean, the movie could be "I love you, Phillis Morris" and still be the same movie. He would still be a huge con man that escaped from prison and made millions embezzling from companies.