PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here ever done a complete career change?

Gizmo
8-2-11, 6:17pm
I'm currently an Accountant, a CPA... but its just so BORING! I started out as a Cost Accountant, and then moved on to be a Financial Analyst. Still bored, I started doing Special Projects and implementations - worked for a while but after the project got off the ground and went into maintenance stage I was bored again (I wasn't given any new projects, just expected to maintain). I've now moved on to trying temp work - still bored. The last temp position I had was 6 months - *I* finally had to tell them I was leaving, as they kept extending my contract (again, bored). Same thing is happening at my current temp job - it was fine at first, but now I'm bored again but they keep extending my contract.

I'd like to do a complete career change, but I'm not sure what else I'm good enough at to make money. I like to do artwork - but I don't think I'm good enough at it to make a living. I really can't afford to go back to school either.

What can I change so I don't keep getting stuck in this 'bored' rut at every job I've been at?

sweetana3
8-2-11, 6:42pm
I would suggest a course in career counseling to find out what careers are a best fit for your personality. It helped a friend's husband who was retired from an IT position to find out he was best working with children as in teaching. He now works at the Children's Museum in our city. Another found out that lab work was boring and repetitive and career counseling led her to epidemiology. So she is now in grad school, while working, and planning on a new career.

SoSimple
8-2-11, 9:05pm
I second career counseling, but also recommend (strongly!) that you try working a job in the field you're interested in before committing to it. Or if you can afford it, do an unpaid internship. Something that will give you the flavor of the day-to-day work. DH went back to school for accounting; found that "real life" accounting was not as he thought it would be, so returned to his original career. He still does our complicated taxes but isn't likely to become an accountant any time soon.

I'm on my third career, though this one kind of grew out of my last career. I'm thinking of moving into a related field as although my field is very cool the reality of my job tends more to the routine drudgery that is middle management. (It's fine - I'm well paid and reasonably good at it, but I do miss the technical problem-solving stuff).

Tradd
8-2-11, 9:10pm
I went from newspaper reporting (which I loved, but paid squat) - I have a journalism degree - to international shipping.

But my bosses are always thankful for the fact that my emails are spelled correctly, which is something many coworkers don't quite do.

jp1
8-2-11, 10:18pm
I'm on my third career path at this point in my life. Not that I specifically chose to make the changes. I graduated from college thinking I wanted to run a symphony orchestra. 3 years of working for one ended that dream when i saw what the day to day reality was. When I got laid off I temped and eventually ended up climbing the ladder in marketing at a publishing company. That was a fun job. However, I got laid off from that in 2001 and since I'd worked in tech there were simply no jobs out there for me. So, back to the temp agency and on to a new career in insurance. For 6 years I was a generalist commercial insurance broker which was pretty boring. Now I'm an E&O underwriter handling mainly technology accounts because I live in San Francisco and I love it!

While I would agree that you may need a total career change and that a career counselor is probably a good way to figure out what that career is, I'd also suggest digging deeper into what careers are available to accountants that might be a better fit for you. There's nothing wrong with changing careers but if you can find somehting you'd enjoy that's still in accounting you'd likely take less of a hit in your salary, or as in my case with my insurance career, no hit at all.

Madsen
8-2-11, 10:29pm
Explore your artwork now while you are still an accountant. Look to your artwork for fulfillment and meaning, treat your job just like a job. Accounting and artwork doesn't have to be an either-or proposition.

ApatheticNoMore
8-2-11, 10:34pm
I strongly DISCOURAGE career counseling. I think it would be way more fun to enclose Benjamin's in bottles and throw them out to sea, or tie them to balloons and let them go, or toss them out the window while driving in the country, or give them out to the homeless guy by the freeway entrance to make his day, or give them to one very confused 5 year old, or stuff them with tobacco and smoke them or ....

Basically a complete career change seems to verge on nearly impossible to actually do in ADULT life. How difficult is it? Heroic, martyr level difficult. Now I've made more minor switches within my field and those ARE QUITE POSSIBLE. What I'm talking about is complete career change.

Quite honestly when I worked with a career counselor, there was not a single field I was interested in (from their stupid tests that really didn't tell anything) that didn't require at least a masters degree. I have YEARS of professional work experience, ok. I don't have a bachelors degree. For me to get a masters from this point would basically take forever and ever and ever and ever amen. The one field we zeroed in on that wouldn't take that turns out it has almost no jobs!!! Oh I didn't know that then, but luckily I learned it long before I ever trained for it seriously!

I don't particularly enjoy my career at all. And at this point I only wish I can get a job in it again. It's like if we were meant to have careers we enjoy we would have knew about them in our late teens, very early 20s and pursued them then, because the world makes it nearly impossible to do so later.

Tradd
8-2-11, 10:46pm
Do your artwork on the side. My job is decently interesting and pays the bills. I have multiple interests I pursue outside of work. It works for me. I have my fun/interesting stuff and pay the bills.

Stella
8-3-11, 10:45am
My mom went from Kindergarten/preschool teaching to curriculum writing to IT. She went back to school in her late 40s at a 2 year tech school. Now she does corporate training for a software company, which uses her educational skills and her technology know-how. And her insane patience with people as they learn, which was honed over 25 years of working with 3, 4 and 5 year olds. :)

I have another friend who went from being a grade school teacher to owning a music school. Now in her retirement years she is doing life coaching.

My cousin went from being a Jesuit novice to being an atomic physicist to being a proffessor to being a lawyer. He's a pretty exceptional case though.

My dad started adult life as a high school biology teacher. After he and my mom were married he worked with institutionalized profoundly autistic children. When I was born he was a high school guidance counselor. When I was a baby he and my mom were house parents in a halfway house for delinquent teens. By the time I was 5 he was a computer programmer. He did a stint in my elementary school years as CTO of a small bank and is now a network architect at a major nationwide bank.

Gizmo
8-3-11, 11:15am
Explore your artwork now while you are still an accountant. Look to your artwork for fulfillment and meaning, treat your job just like a job. Accounting and artwork doesn't have to be an either-or proposition.

This is what I've been doing. Going home and working on my art after work. :D

I figure what I'm doing now for my job is a good transition job. I'm basically a salaried temp. The company I work for sends me out to different offices to help them out with short term projects, transitions, or whatever else they need help with. I took this job BECAUSE I didn't know what I wanted to do, and I figured this would be a good way to see a bunch of different accounting jobs. The only reason I'm bored now is because this current company keeps extending my contract. If I'd left when they first scheduled me to leave, at the end of June, I would have been fine. As it is, they have kept me on for 2 more weeks so someone could go on an extended vacation. Its SO BUSY that I've been reading my kindle at my desk.....

Anyway, Keep this thread going! I love seeing all the different paths people have taken.

At least for me, when I first went to school I was studying to be a Zoologist before switching to Accounting after a few years.

shadowmoss
8-3-11, 11:55am
You could look into Project Management. As an independent PM doing contracting you would see projects through to completion, then move on to the next. With your attention to detail (I'm assuming, being an accountant) and since you are familiar with the cost and financial aspects, it might not be that much of a jump to get the additional certifications.

kitten
8-3-11, 12:14pm
Hi Gizmo - I dropped out of college after failing to complete a music degree, and was totally at a loose end. At that point, though, I was young and didn't have a family or big bills or anything, so I just needed any sort of job to keep body and soul together. I did a series of temp jobs, mostly as a massively underpaid clerical worker. I thought my life was pretty hellish, but I'm grateful now that I had a chance to work around and not feel committed to any one thing. When things really started sucking at a temp job, I'd bail - as you did. The agency would grumble, but their blacklist didn't matter - I'd sign up with someone else and start again.

I was a creative person, though, and office work wasn't going to do it for me. I lucked into computer support, which was slightly better paying. Then I started working on an in-house help desk for a cluster of radio stations. A very weird transition ensued when I made a jump from computer support to the radio production side. Far from painless - the established folk with 30 years' experience in their field thought I was an upstart (and I was a woman, lots of unspoken but very tangible sexist crap to wade through) but I persisted, and since then I've landed some sweet gigs in my new field. So it's taken some time, but definitely worth it. If I'd had a family early on and had had to make more money out of the gate, I don't know what I'd be doing - but definitely not this! Yay for serendipity :)

Did someone mention the fact you're an artist? (I didn't see that in your original post) Anyway, I'm an artist too, and I'm dying to go back to school. Got some debt to pay off. I'm doing my art in my spare time, posting it online and getting positive feedback. It gives me a creative outlet, and I'm hoping to start making some money eventually. Maybe find a way to do your creative thing right now, even if it's unpaid.

I think boredom is always a valuable clue to your inner world and what you really need to feel complete. You've taken the right first step by noticing this. Even just knowing what you don't want can be helpful right now. You'll circle around to what fulfills you eventually if you just start paying attention. And if money isn't urgent right now, that will make it easier of course. You're at the start of an exciting journey!

Gizmo
8-3-11, 1:00pm
Did someone mention the fact you're an artist? (I didn't see that in your original post) Anyway, I'm an artist too, and I'm dying to go back to school. Got some debt to pay off. I'm doing my art in my spare time, posting it online and getting positive feedback. It gives me a creative outlet, and I'm hoping to start making some money eventually. Maybe find a way to do your creative thing right now, even if it's unpaid.

Yeah, I've been doing a bunch of online contests. Its great for inspiration (they always have some sort of theme) and I get lots of really good feedback that helps make my pictures a lot better - and I learn awesome tips for next time! So far I've only gotten 2nd place in one contest, haven't even placed in the others but still very good practice and its helped me alot!

Spartana
8-3-11, 1:11pm
I went from being a ship board engineer (mechanic) in the Coast Guard for 10 years - most at sea for 9 plus months a year - to working a 9 to 5 in an environmental lab for a water district. Talk about a change - a very boring change. I went from doing something I absolutely LOVED, and felt like I was completely in my element doing, to something I really detested. I loved the rough and tumble life at sea with a bunch of salty dog guys doing things like law enforcement, search and rescue, environmental clean ups, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum, etc.. I still can't watch "Deadliest Catch" - or whatever that show is called about alaskan crab fishing - without getting all misty eyed. But eventually I became a environmental compliance officer for the same water district and was happier. While I was in the CG I had gotten a BS in Criminal Justice thinking that when I got out I would work in law enforcement. But after losing most of my hearing in an accident, I changed career paths and got a science degree. Stayed at that job until I retired at 42. Couldn't handle that kind of boring life too much longer! I deeply regret getting out of the CG (ex-dh and I were both in the CG, and both agreed to get out early for the sake of the marriage - I did and he didn't which eventually led to a divorce) and think that would have been a better career and life choice for me.

So, which that in mind, I think you should probably pursue whatever thing you are passionate about. Try to find ways to cut back on things so that you can spend more time doing art and less time at an accounting job. I think doing what you love is more important in the end then doing what pays the most. Find a balance, if possible, between the two and go for it!

Nella
8-3-11, 1:20pm
I say go for it. With some careful planning, preparation, and sacrifice, I think it can be done. I did a major career change in my early 40s. I went from being a government worker to owning my own massage therapy practice. It's not something I just decided one day to do and then quit my job immediately. It took me 3 years of planning, paying off bills, getting my life reconfigured, selling my house, and then going to school for a year. Ten years later, and many difficult but surmountable challenges along the way, I'm actually quite happy now; although my age is preventing me from continuing as a massage therapist for much longer. So, I'm reinventing myself again. This time I'm planning on studying theology and entering a ministry when I finish my masters. Again, it's taking a number of years to plan, but I'll begin working on my graduate degree next summer. Good luck!

SoSimple
8-3-11, 9:42pm
I agree that it's difficult to change career as an adult. It can be expensive and that's why I advocate trying it on for size before you spend the money. Go spend a week with someone that actually does the work and see what it looks like in day-to-day reality. Talk to lots of entry-level folks. Consider leveraging your existing skills to get closer to what you want rather than jumping straight from A to Z: perhaps you can do A to D without taking a huge pay hit or having to get a whole other degree.

But it's absolutely doable and sometimes you get more money as well as more satisfaction. :)

iris lily
8-3-11, 9:54pm
My friend went from being an electronics guru (installed stereo and sound systems) to being a landscaper to being an accomplished baker at a high end French restaurant, back to being a garden expert.

catherine
8-3-11, 10:15pm
Well, I went from being a production assistant (in my 20s) to a newsletter writer (30s) to a secretary/word processor (early 40s) to a market researcher (46 years old).

That latest job was completely serendipidous and only came out of luck and circumstance and a change in attitude. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that I would enjoy this career as much as I do. And, as luck would have it, I make a good living.

I agree that it's really hard to analyze these decisions with a career counselor--I agree with ApatheticNoMore. I also agree with those who suggest trying things you might be interested in at no pay, or as an intern. Be completely open.

jp1
8-4-11, 10:08pm
It's always interesting to read about people's jobs that are waaaay different from mine. Every job I've had has been an office job of some sort, with lots of paper (well, now lots of electrons on a screen), a fairly rigid corporate structure, rigid hours, etc. I'm mostly fine with that, especially since I currently have a fair amount of autonomy as far as how I get my job done. In other words there's no specific structure or method to underwriting my type of insurance. A lot of it is just studying the potential insured's business and then if the potential insured's business is a bit outside the mainstream of what we regularly write policies for chatting casually with the other people in my department to get their thoughts on potential risks and pitfalls that I may not have thought of. If there was one aspect of my job that I'd most like to change it would be the rigid hours. If I could come in at 6am on a day when I happen to wake up early and then leave at 2, or show up at 10 because I felt like rolling over and going back to sleep for an hour, I'd really love my job a lot more.

Growing up it never seriously occurred to me to not plan on having a career in a regular office like I always have. My dad, who spent his life as an accountant, after being raised by a semi-illiterate blue collar father during the depression, was fond of saying "sweat sells for about $2 a bucket. Get an education and your life will be much easier." I don't regret the path I've taken, and I expect that my insurance career will be my last office type career since I have no interest in starting at the bottom in a new career now. (I'm 43) I do, though, ponder the idea that at some point I will feel financially secure enough to maybe not retire, but to completely change jobs to something less structured and less rooted in sitting at a desk all day because I won't have to worry about how much money I'm earning, just that I'm earning enough to pay the bills until I can retire and start collecting SS and drawing down my 401k and whatnot. I have no idea what that might be. Spartana's coast guard career sounds like great fun, and if I were still in high school but with my current perspective I might seriously be considering the coast guard academy as an option. But I suspect that at this point I'm way too old to be starting that career, so perhaps there's something else out there for me that would be equally exciting.

Selah
8-5-11, 9:49am
I am 45 and am at a complete dead-end, career-wise. I have a B. Mus in vocal performance with a double major in anthropology (gee, now THAT's useful!), an M.A. in Social Anthropology with a focus on Middle Eastern Studies and Turkish, and am a certified paralegal, hypnotist, Reiki Master, and Teacher of English as a Foreign Language to Adults. Music school turned me off singing and live music entirely...I didn't attend a live music event for over ten years after music school, and only recently I've begun singing again at my synagogue...after a "break" of 22 years!

I spent many years teaching English to business executives and running private language schools in Europe after college, then married and went to grad school. DH at the time didn't support me doing Ph.D work since it would involve two years of fieldwork in Turkey, so we ended up moving to Ireland and starting a business. The business killed the marriage, and when the marriage went, so did the business. I was broke and alone in Ireland at age 37, and after having given psychic readings privately for years, hung out a shingle and started my own business as a psychic and hypnotist. I supported myself that way for several years, moved back to America, and got back into teaching at-risk teens at a lockdown facility. I became principal of that school, then voluntarily demoted myself to a part-time teacher because of stress.

I re-married nearly three years ago, and we moved out from Nevada to Florida in November following the sudden death of my DH's father, to help his mother adjust to widowhood. Prior to moving here, my husband was laid off from his job, and I had to resign in order to move. In the midst of all that, I FINALLY figured out what was "wrong" with me, which is that I have Asperger's Syndrome! This has explained SO much of why I have had so much difficulty in so many aspects of life, particularly career-wise.

Armed with this new information about myself, and doing some real soul-searching and a kind of inner archeological excavation with regards to my career, I, too, am at a loss as to what to do. We are moving to Israel at the end of this year, and I know I will be spending at least the first year becoming fluent in Hebrew, which is an absolute necessity. Feedback from the congregation and other musicians at my synagogue say I absolutely MUST get back into performing sacred music again, and giving psychic readings again. Honestly, those two unusual things, and tutoring English are about the only things I think I can do well AND can stand doing...day jobs are so exhausting for me sensorily and emotionally that I need too much recovery time to do a job AND be in a marriage successfully. I know this myself now...in fact, my DH figured it out before I did!

Singing and giving readings are short bursts of intensity and great focus, and I get into that wonderful "flow" state when doing either, but otherwise, there is lots of time to be silent, meditate, read, practice, etc., and there is no need to punch a clock or deal with too many other people. Management and sales jobs were HELL for me, which was frustrating, since that's what I kept getting promoted to do!

Know thyself...take whatever time you need, and go down whatever dead ends you need to explore in order to find out who you really are and where you can find 'flow' in your work. I don't regret all my wrong turns (although I sure wish I'd known about saving for retirement at a younger age!) at all. It's been an interesting life so far!

RosieTR
8-5-11, 10:37am
It's interesting to hear everyone else's responses! I know someone who switched from laboratory science to accounting because she loves doing taxes! She did go back to school for a master's for that, and loves her job. I am working on a career change, though likely it won't be way different from what I'm doing now (thinking about going from biological research to medical technologist, but physical therapist is still on the table). DH has been: a nuclear reactor-operator on a Navy sub, an electronics technician, a cable guy and now a network administrator. One of his nuke friends from the Navy was an exercise-equipment salesman, then a police officer, now an anti-terrorist analyst (or something like that). Both those career paths resulted from getting a degree (computer science and criminal justice, respectively). Good luck!

Spartana
8-5-11, 2:26pm
Spartana's coast guard career sounds like great fun, and if I were still in high school but with my current perspective I might seriously be considering the coast guard academy as an option. But I suspect that at this point I'm way too old to be starting that career, so perhaps there's something else out there for me that would be equally exciting.

Yep too old but I think there are alot of exciting career jobs out there that anyone could do. Of course most, like being an enlisted person in the military (which includes the coast guard) doesn't pay much, but that's were each person has to decide if the job is more valuable than the pay derived from it. I made alot more money and worked alot less hours (and I mean ALOT less) in a civilian job, but would have preferred to stay in the CG my whole 20 years - maybe beyond. Not only for the love of the job, but that lifelong pension and medical coverage beginning at age 38 ain't too shabby either :-)! Check out www.coolworks.com I'm going to find my next career in Antarctica (once the pups are gone) thru them.

Float On
8-5-11, 2:56pm
I worked as a cave guide then in a mega church's recreation department to working as a bank manager and loan officer then to a sports camp as their recruiting planner (for staff and campers) to working as a youth minister and then to running our art business (art shows/wholesale to galleries/etc). Business went from booming (turning away work and orders) to now it has become so bad. So many galleries closed, smaller orders, art shows increasing fees, travel expenses up, etc. We're taking a year off to regroup and see what is next (our marriage was close to not surviving due to the stress).

Sometimes I think 'man if I could of just stayed in the banking I'd be retiring soon instead of wondering what's next' but I hated the banking industry.

benhyr
8-5-11, 3:44pm
Started my first computer programming job when I was 15 and I've been doing it since. I did have a job as a paperboy before that and a stint as a bag boy. I've had thoughts of doing something different but I really like what I do.

puglogic
8-5-11, 4:51pm
Check out www.coolworks.com I'm going to find my next career in Antarctica (once the pups are gone) thru them.

I loved working in Antarctica. Highly recommended to the intrepid sort of gal (or guy) :)

Spartana
8-5-11, 10:55pm
I loved working in Antarctica. Highly recommended to the intrepid sort of gal (or guy) :)

Oh I'm so wildly jealous of you! What did you do there and for how long? It's funny because I NEVER get jealous of people who haver lots of money, stuff or a fancy lifestyle - just of people who do cool adventurous things. I tried desperately to get to Antarctica when I was in the CG - either at a station there on McMurdo Sound or on one of the ice breakers the CG has that spends about 7 months a year there. Never made it but someday... even if I have to scrub floors and shovel penquin poop!

jp1
8-11-11, 12:35am
Yep too old but I think there are alot of exciting career jobs out there that anyone could do. Of course most, like being an enlisted person in the military (which includes the coast guard) doesn't pay much, but that's were each person has to decide if the job is more valuable than the pay derived from it. I made alot more money and worked alot less hours (and I mean ALOT less) in a civilian job, but would have preferred to stay in the CG my whole 20 years - maybe beyond. Not only for the love of the job, but that lifelong pension and medical coverage beginning at age 38 ain't too shabby either :-)! Check out www.coolworks.com I'm going to find my next career in Antarctica (once the pups are gone) thru them.

When I'm ready to make the move to whatever my next career is money won't be a big consideration. The move will be made once I feel like I've got enough money to retire as long as I can break even and have health care until I am old enough for SS and medicare (assuming they're still there 24 years from now but that's a whole different topic...) Things like the military (not an option for me obviously) or going to Antarctica for some job or other would probably not require much in the way of wages since 1) most, if not all, of my day to day living expenses/housing/etc would be covered, and 2) what the hell would I spend my wages on if I was living in Antarctica? I'm not convinced that Antarctica is the choice for me (considering that I grew up in Denver and selected the University of Miami for college mainly because of the climate...), but that's certainly the type of thing I'd consider. Of course I also have an SO and 2 cats to consider, so who knows. Maybe my level of adventure will be more along the lines of getting a job working as an organic farm laborer for our CSA...

early morning
8-13-11, 6:27pm
Well, I spent 25 years in the back office (payables and receivables) of a lovely Jewish country club, then decided to go to college to teach high school history. I finished my masters in special education last year. For the past 11 years, I've been teaching kids 9-19 in juvenile detention - which is NEVER boring. I was 43 when I got my first teaching job, in my late 30s when I started college, while still working at the country club. It was hard, especially with two kids of my own - but it was fun, too - and I love where I've ended up. Whatever you decide, good luck!

EarthSky
10-21-11, 10:51pm
I am 45 and am at a complete dead-end, career-wise. I have a B. Mus in vocal performance with a double major in anthropology (gee, now THAT's useful!), an M.A. in Social Anthropology with a focus on Middle Eastern Studies and Turkish, and am a certified paralegal, hypnotist, Reiki Master, and Teacher of English as a Foreign Language to Adults. business as a psychic and hypnotist............

In the midst of all that, I FINALLY figured out what was "wrong" with me, which is that I have Asperger's Syndrome! This has explained SO much of why I have had so much difficulty in so many aspects of life, particularly career-wise.

Armed with this new information about myself, and doing some real soul-searching and a kind of inner archeological excavation with regards to my career, .....

Love your post, Selah, and hearing about your incredible gifts, careers and current search for clarity! Music is such a vital part of worship, and can be so transformative; I hope you continue to find a way to share that gift! Thanks for sharing - esp'ly regarding the AS - as my youngest child is probably soon to be diagnosed with this (in addition to, or as a partial explanation for symptoms that look like, ADHD, OCD and Anxiety). I wish you the very best in your inner search. Keep us posted! (And please share about your experiences in Israel!)

EarthSky
10-21-11, 11:01pm
I do think it's possible to explore and evolve into different careers. Some of it may be based on deeper self-discovery; some of it related to how we evolve as we get older, and our life circumstances (e.g., marriage, divorce, kids, health, cross-country moves). I started in full-time parish-based ordained ministry (after 4 yrs in undergrad, a brief break, then 4 yrs in seminary). After some fatigue/burn-out after 8 yrs, I did organizational development - loved it, but couldn't do the travel after the 3rd baby. Then moved into executive leadership in non-profit agencies serving children and families. I've been in the job search for several months, and to my surprise, it looks like I will be moving back into church-based ministry, probably with a significant cross-country move (again). My goal, however, is to work fewer hours (I've always worked long hours - in all of these fields), and to have a more balanced life for my children and my own health.

Great topic. Love to hear about other's journeys.

JaneV2.0
10-22-11, 12:04am
I think making a radical career change is--or at least used to be--entirely possible. I went from IT central office work to technical editor, and was flirting with Microsoft before the big IT crash of 2000. And I was well into middle age at the time. If I had certified right after I retired, I have no doubt I would have been well-established in technical communications within a year or two.

Have you considered forensic accounting?

Jemima
10-22-11, 3:39pm
I switched from being a psychotherapist to a CPA in my early forties, but that was way back when, in the eighties. I have a Bachelor of Fine Arts with a major in printmaking, an M.A. in counseling psych, two certifications in programming, and the CPA.

I'm retired now, but I enjoyed my work as a CPA. I worked as an auditor for both the Fed (no, not the IRS - UGH!) and the state and it was a kick. I loved terrifying snobby executives. There's nothing quite so satisfying as running some sleazebag to ground. Coworkers were ever the problem along with gutless bosses, however, and I'm glad to be gone. I hated tax work, although I did that during periods of financial desperation.

I don't intend to sit idle as a retiree, however. As soon as I get caught up with cleaning and redoing my house I'll be volunteering, most likely at an emergency food pantry or something like that and taking a crack at making some spare change as a writer. I still enjoy my artwork and have tried doing it commercially with some success, but I find that catering to trends kills the joy for me. I much prefer the freedom of creating what I like rather than depending on satisfying popular tastes for income.

ljevtich
11-4-11, 12:56am
Anyone here ever done a complete career change?
I'm currently an Accountant, a CPA...bored...

I'd like to do a complete career change, but I'm not sure what else I'm good enough at to make money. I like to do artwork - but I don't think I'm good enough at it to make a living. I really can't afford to go back to school either.

What can I change so I don't keep getting stuck in this 'bored' rut at every job I've been at?
Yes, I have done so four times.

Basically a complete career change seems to verge on nearly impossible to actually do in ADULT life. How difficult is it? Heroic, martyr level difficult. Now I've made more minor switches within my field and those ARE QUITE POSSIBLE. What I'm talking about is complete career change.

Not true, I have done all four during my adult life.

My story:
I got my BS degree in Geology, and did that career as an Environmental Geologist for over 10 years. While going to school, the summertimes were working as a field Geologist (but I am not counting that as a career change, as I was still working as a geologist.) When I started working/cleaning up asbestos and nuclear waste, and then had a job where I worked 10 days on, four off, I started to rethink my career. During those four days off, besides traveling, I Volunteered at a community shelter teaching folks how to use Word and Excel. I LOVED Doing that.

I took a huge jump, and switched careers to work as a Computer Trainer. I worked for several companies including Long & Foster (in VA, a Real Estate company). I thoroughly enjoyed training adults on computers, software and hardware use. When I was laid off from L&F, I was devastated.

So I made another huge jump. This time I opened up my own business. No I did not go back to school to learn how to do my own business, I just read enough stuff online and from others and started it out. My business - training others on software as well as marketing and website design. I worked mostly with Realtors (I had a huge database of folks from L&F and I used it!)

But as we all know, around 2007, the bottom dropped out of the Real Estate business, and around the same time, we were looking for a new direction. Actually, we had started to look at the new direction way before that, around 2005-2006, when we read Your Money or Your Life. We went on a 6 week sabbatical in 2006, came back and around the winter of 2006/2007, we put our house on the market. At the same time, I started to volunteer at a national park and found that we could live there if I volunteered 32 hours a week.

So we sold our house in May 2007 and moved into a RV. I kept my business for a couple more months but found that the Realtors I was working with were unable to pay me fully. So as I volunteering at the Park, I closed down my business.

From volunteering for over a year, I was able to jump into my fourth (and hopefully last) career as a Park Ranger. It helps that I have a Geology Degree, and that I like to help people learn about a park (trainer and public speaking skills!), plus having my own business helped me help the parks with marketing and design.

Now, for the OP: On your off time, weekends, week-nights, what-have-you, volunteer at something that you think you would be interested. Or work weekends or nights at a gallery, museum, store.

As a CPA, you have a mathematical mind, which is needed at many businesses. You could go in so many different directions - volunteer or work part time to see if you like something else.

To the person that was an anthropologist - park service jobs would also work for you. Also I am pretty sure you would work well in the Department of Defense - hypnosis the bad guys!

The main point I want to get across to the OP plus others: Volunteer to get your foot in the door. It does not cost anything to do so, and lots of places can not afford to pay you. But you can learn and find out if it would be a good career change.

crunchycon
11-4-11, 5:44am
After my divorce lo, these many years ago (I was office manager for a restaurant and waiting tables), I went back to library school. I was a librarian for about eight years, then got pulled into corporate training. Granted, I had to have the master's to be a library director, but my current career doesn't have that requirement..I got into training by volunteering to do little training jobs in my then-organization here and there. Eventually, I got kinda good at it, which led to my current job. I'm with Laura -- volunteer on the side to find out what you might enjoy and be good at.

kitten
11-9-11, 12:43pm
Jemima, is your art online anywhere?