PDA

View Full Version : Progressive Contract for the American Dream

Zigzagman
8-8-11, 10:09pm
The basic premise of the campaign is that America isn't broke, it's merely imbalanced. In order to stabilize the economy, politicians should make substantial investments in infrastructure, energy, education and the social safety net, tax the rich, end the wars, and create a wider revenue base through job creation.

"Many of our best workers are sitting idle, while the work of rebuilding America goes undone," reads one bullet point of the Contract. "Together, we must rebuild our country, reinvest in our people and jump-start the industries of the future. Millions of jobless Americans would love the opportunity to become working, tax-paying members of their communities again. We have a jobs crisis, not a deficit crisis."

1. INVEST IN AMERICA’S INFRASTRUCTURE.
Rebuild our crumbling bridges, dams, levees, ports, water and
sewer lines, railways, roads and public transit. We must invest in
high-speed Internet and a modern, energy-saving electric grid.
These investments will create good jobs and rebuild America. To
help finance these projects, we need national and state
infrastructure banks.

2. CREATE 21ST-CENTURY ENERGY JOBS.
We should invest in American businesses that can power our
country with innovative technologies like wind turbines, solar
panels, geothermal systems, hybrid and electric cars, and
next-generation batteries. And we should put Americans to work
making our homes and buildings energy efficient. We can create
good, green jobs in America, address the climate crisis, and build
the clean energy economy.

3. INVEST IN PUBLIC EDUCATION. We should
provide universal access to early childhood education, make
school funding equitable, invest in high-quality teachers, and
build safe, well-equipped school buildings for our students. A
high-quality education system, from universal preschool to
vocational training and affordable higher education, is critical for
our future and can create badly needed jobs now.

4. OFFER MEDICARE FOR ALL. We should expand
Medicare so it’s available to all Americans, and reform it to
provide even more cost-effective, quality care. The Affordable
Care Act is a good start and we must implement it – but it’s not
enough. We can save trillions of dollars by joining every other
industrialized country – paying much less for health care while
getting the same or better results.

5. MAKE WORK PAY. Americans have a right to fair
minimum and living wages, to organize and collectively bargain,
to enjoy equal opportunity and to earn equal pay for equal work.
Corporate assaults on these rights bring down wages and
benefits for all of us. They must be outlawed.

6. SECURE SOCIAL SECURITY. Keep Social Security
sound, and strengthen the retirement, disability, and survivors’
protections Americans earn through their hard work. Pay for it
by removing the cap on the Social Security tax, so that upperincome
people pay into Social Security on all they make, just like
the rest of us.

7. RETURN TO FAIRER TAX RATES. End, once and
for all, the Bush-era tax giveaways for the rich, which the rest of
us – or our kids – must pay eventually. Also, we must outlaw
corporate tax havens and tax breaks for shipping jobs overseas.
Lastly, with millionaires and billionaires taking a growing share
of our country’s wealth, we should add new tax brackets for those
making more than $1 million each year.

8. END THE WARS AND INVEST AT HOME.
Our troops have done everything that’s been asked of them, and
it’s time to bring them home to good jobs here. We’re sending $3
billion each week overseas that we should be investing to rebuild
America.

9. TAX WALL STREET SPECULATION. A tiny fee of
1/20th of 1% on each Wall Street trade would raise tens of
billions of dollars annually with little impact on actual
investment. This would reduce speculation, “flash trading,” and
outrageous bankers’ bonuses – and we’d have a lot more money
to spend on Main Street job creation.

10. STRENGTHEN DEMOCRACY. We need clean,
fair elections – where no one’s right to vote can be taken away,
and where money doesn’t buy you your own member of
Congress. We must ban anonymous political influence, slam shut
the lobbyists’ revolving door in D.C. and publicly finance
elections. Immigrants who want to join in our democracy deserve
a clear path to citizenship. We must stop giving corporations the
rights of people when it comes to our elections. And we must
ensure our judiciary’s respect for the Constitution. Together, we
will reclaim our democracy to get our country back on track.

Peace

peggy
8-8-11, 10:41pm
I like this Zig. I would add term limits for all elected persons.

herbgeek
8-9-11, 6:29am
Other than the first item listed, I do not see how any of these well intentioned ideas are going to create one job (except maybe for government bureaucrats). Item #2 is only possible with massive subsidies. We have a local company that makes solar panels, they got all kinds of subsidies to expand and then shipped all the manufacturing jobs to China where the labor cost is less.

Catwoman
8-9-11, 6:35am
Not practical. Rewarding all the consumers and taking from all the producers. Producers are sick and tired of it. Obama has made a mess of the crumbling economy we had left. How long is the left going to carry his water?

Zigzagman
8-9-11, 9:53am
Other than the first item listed, I do not see how any of these well intentioned ideas are going to create one job (except maybe for government bureaucrats). Item #2 is only possible with massive subsidies. We have a local company that makes solar panels, they got all kinds of subsidies to expand and then shipped all the manufacturing jobs to China where the labor cost is less.

Good points!

I think we all can expect some sort of infrastructure deal coming out of Washington as soon as the cut, cut, cut mantra gets old. The real question is will it be meaningful stimulus (something that will benefit us long term) or just throwing money our there and hoping for the best. I fear if we leave it up to the individual states that it will quickly be adsorbed into their general fund never to be seen at the street level except for a few privileged private contractors.

As far as solar, I think we have already lost that battle to the Chinese simply because of the fear of the "P word (protectionism). Our manufacturing base is so decimated over the last 30 years that I am not sure it would be feasible to do a "startup" to compete with any of the emerging markets - maybe for specialty items or something like that but large scale, I doubt it. But there is easily a robust market for installation and building of a national energy infrastructure utilizing these products. It would be local and could quickly help us to be more energy independent. The major obstacle seems to be the oil oligarchy - they have so much power and political influence.

IMO, our biggest hurdle in the near term is being able to come to a consensus and focus on what really needs to be done. We spend all of our time talking about tax cuts, big government, over regulation, etc. While this is happening our education system is failing (75% of HS grads these days don't even qualify for military service) businesses are looking for government incentive or perks (small government?) and the political re-election business never ends. When I see a cop making $100K+ and a school teacher making $35K then I think the problem is pretty clear.

I don't think we can afford to kick the can down the road with every decision - "won't happen till 2013, 2014, 2020", won't affect this segment of the population, etc". That means that for the good of the nation our leaders have to start acting like real leaders and not someone running for student council - do we really want a decade of social and economic decline?

Think Progressive - the world is changing and we cannot continue to think like we did 30 years ago as a solution.

Peace

Gingerella72
8-9-11, 11:20am
I saw something similar in the comments on a Truth-Out (http://www.truth-out.org/america-decline/1312567242) article - did that prompt your list of 10 things Zig? Just curious. :) BTW, I like these ideas and wish the powers that be had enough sense to implement them. Quickly. Now.

Catwoman - how is this not practical? Producers sold America out when they shipped their jobs overseas, why should they continue to be protected?

ApatheticNoMore
8-9-11, 9:10pm
I think we all can expect some sort of infrastructure deal coming out of Washington as soon as the cut, cut, cut mantra gets old. The real question is will it be meaningful stimulus (something that will benefit us long term) or just throwing money our there and hoping for the best.

Probably just throwing money, that was what the last stimulus seemed to be. All that money and so little to show for it. I really don't even agree with the infrastructure investments listed, I think the overwhelming emphasis needs to be GREEN infrastructure.

I fear if we leave it up to the individual states that it will quickly be adsorbed into their general fund never to be seen at the street level except for a few privileged private contractors.

If it was allowed to go into the general fund I think California would use it not to cut back education as much as it otherwise would have. No net job creation but merely saving some jobs that would otherwise be destroyed (or limiting the extent of college tuition increases which are otherwise going to hit pretty hard). Basically I think the state would probably use the money well (probably better than most federal programs), but it might not be major job creation. I don't know that making states dependent on permanent bailouts is where we really want to go long term though, seems dangerous, and unwise (especially as the state has just barely by the skin of it's teeth managed to pass a decent and not too terribly dishonest budget).

Even if it doesn't create jobs at least it can be said that expanding Medicare and preserving Social Security lowers the number of people in the job market (because older people can retire).

Zigzagman
8-9-11, 9:20pm
If it was allowed to go into the general fund I think California would use it not to cut back education as much as it otherwise would have. No net job creation but merely saving some jobs that would otherwise be destroyed (or limiting the extent of college tuition increases which are otherwise going to hit pretty hard). Basically I think the state would probably use the money well (probably better than most federal programs), but it might not be major job creation. I don't know that making states dependent on permanent bailouts is where we really want to go long term though, seems dangerous, and unwise (especially as the state has just barely by the skin of it's teeth managed to pass a decent and not too terribly dishonest budget).

I think it is wonderful that you trust your state government to do something for the schools and workers. In Texas that would not even be even a consideration. We would probably give some business interest the money in hopes of creating a job. It never works but it creates a very powerful group of campaign contributers.

Peace

jp1
8-9-11, 9:58pm
Not practical. Rewarding all the consumers and taking from all the producers. Producers are sick and tired of it. Obama has made a mess of the crumbling economy we had left. How long is the left going to carry his water?

Currently consumer consumption is something like 70% of our GDP. (and whether that's a good thing is certainly debatable, but for another thread.) If we don't "reward" consumers then the producers may well find that there's no point in producing since there won't be anyone consuming. And then what?

The way to salvage our economy is not by cutting and cutting and then cutting some more. THe way to salvage it is by growing it so that the existing debts become a smaller, more manageable percentage of it. How best to accomplish that is the million dollar question. And whether it gets answered in a productive way will depend on whether the right lobbyists have the winning influence. #'s 2,3,8,9 and 10 strike me as having the most potential to actually help things.

Green energy jobs building a new energy infrastructure would employ lots of people while providing a long-term solution to our energy needs. And building a new and improved energy infrastructure is not something that private industry will undertake until such point that our current energy sources become so expensive as to kill the economy on their own.

Ending the wars would end all the massive waste that is the only result of war. It ties in to the whole concept of worshiping the importance of GDP as the be all and end all of important economic indicators should be reconsidered. GDP includes everything built for war that soon gets destroyed in the war, everything that had to be used to rebuild New Orleans after Katrina, etc. By that logic we could massively stimulate GDP just by tearing down whole cities and then rebuilding them. Employment for everyone! Problem solved!

HappyHiker
8-10-11, 11:34am
Yes, I agree with ZigZagMan...how can we keep being fed the myth that the USA is "the greatest country on earth" and that there is any longer an American Dream if we lag so far behind in taking care of our citizens in any meaningful way?

Me, I'd vote a big yes to more for education and less for military/defense spending, yes to health and nutrition education, prevention and wellness programs for all. I'd say no to corn subsidies (why don't we subsidize broccoli or spinach instead?), and yes to practical trades education without the necessity of huge student loans, and a big yes to developing home-grown sustainable businesses instead of shipping jobs off overseas.

With the huge unemployment numbers yawning ever wider, maybe it's time for a WPA or CCC program to help people have hope, put them to work, and help re-build some of our crumbling infrastructure? Seems we'd rather jail 'em and guess what, that costs taxpayers around $40,000/year to house/feed one prisoner...why not pay them half that through a WPA or CCC program? I think I know the answer, though--many prisoners are put to work as virtual slave labor, contracted to corporations that pay them $.50-$1.00 hour...isn't this terribly wrong?

The state of our world these days is very disappointing when we could do so much better. Unfortunately it seems Washington answers to the corporations that fund elections not to the suffering population...and without campaign reform we can expect more of the same.

I think the answer lies in coming together in our towns, in our communities and making a difference where we can..I've given up on the Federal government as it's totally mired in bureaucracy and beholden to the corporations and their lobbyists...and from what I've seen, it's not much different at the state level either.

What do you think..do you have a more optimistic viewpoint? I'm feeling pretty pessimistic these days about the state of the world in general...sort of like whistling in the wind while the ship sinks under our feet.

However I do believe in the spirit and the can-do of the American character--its just a shame that we've become so divided by ideology and are no longer pulling together in common cause. We'd rather squabble among ourselves than effect any sort of progress or forward momentum--and that goes double for our congress.