PDA

View Full Version : More questions for cross-stitchers

CathyA
8-10-11, 4:07pm
I'm almost ready to frame my project. I've looked all over for the foam mounting boards and finally found one at Joanne Fabrics......but...........it only comes in sticky. I've read that can turn the fabric yellow over time. Where in the world can I find non-sticky foam board? I've looked at Hobby Lobby, Michaels, A cross-stitch shop, and several other places and they just don't have it.
I picked cross-stitching back up after a 20 year hiatus and the same things don't seem to be available now.
I did buy a sticky-backed foam board today, just out of desperation. Is it really bad to use?
Thanks!

sweetana3
8-10-11, 7:15pm
I have not used sticky board in over 25 years. I never liked working with it.

Better: Use a custom cut (do it yourself) piece of acid free foam core cut from a larger piece. Use a little glue to attach Warm and Natural quilt batting (one or more layers) to give a soft appearance. You can buy a 1/4 or 1/2 yard of Warm and natural at Joanns. Pin and stretch as discussed earlier. You will have leftovers of each for later projects.

Ana

CathyA
8-10-11, 9:05pm
Thanks Ana,
I did see the plain acid free foam core in another department, but it had un-removable paper on both sides, and I didn't think about adding quilt batting to it. Good idea! Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I think I used to be able to buy the foam core stuff without a second paper side to it. But that was a long time ago!
Thanks for your help again! I'll probably have more questions as I go.