PDA

View Full Version : Yoga advice please.

razz
8-10-11, 8:39pm
I need to get some exercise that flexes my joints that I can do daily in addition to the twice daily walks with the dog at a mile each time. I have considered yoga but the videos that I tried a number of years ago did nothing to inspire me.

Do you do yoga regularly? How did you get started? is there a program of moves that will give one a general toning if done daily?
What should I look for in an instructor or studio?

Any advice or suggestions appreciated.

Gardenarian
8-10-11, 9:37pm
Hi there,
I also do a lot of dog walking! I started doing yoga when I was a gymnast in high school. I got a book out of the library, and I have been practicing for over 30 years now. What I look for in a yoga class is convenience! I have been to places that have great teachers, but if I have to drive through traffic there and back to go to the class, it is not a good experience for me. Luckily, there is an excellent yoga teacher in my town. You might want to read up about the different styles of yoga a little bit. I prefer a more traditional, spiritual yoga myself, and find that teachers with a background in the Integral or Sivananda style suit me best. There is also a yoga video that I checked out from the library called Wai Lana Yoga that I quite liked (although it was stretching, it is unlike any yoga I have ever seen.) If I were you I would take a bunch of classes and see what works.

Here is a link to the Sivananda site that describes a basic program for beginning yoga: http://www.sivananda.eu/en/yoga-postures/exercises-for-beginners.html

I got out of the habit of doing yoga everyday for a couple of months, and it is remarkable the difference it made in how I feel. All my joints ached, I kept throwing my back out, I had headaches, and I felt bloated and tired. Yoga really works!

Perplexa
8-10-11, 11:05pm
razz, there is something to be said for going to a real studio with a good teacher, at least at first, in order to learn the basic body mechanics for yoga. If you have any joint problems, Iyengar yoga is especially good. You could probably buy a 10 or 20 class pass somewhere and get some basics and then go on to just doing yoga at home. (Many studios also have some sort of All You Can Yoga intro deal: $10 or $20 or $30 for anywhere from a week to a month).

That said, I love Yoga Today (yogatoday.com). They have hour long yoga workouts taught by three different instructors, all of whom are very good. There is one free video available each week, or you can join for $10/month or $80/year. Given that a membership to a yoga studio runs $100-150/month, I figure it's worth the investment.

Rosemary
8-11-11, 12:11am
I also like Iyengar yoga for learning basics and mechanics. If that's not available, a good Hatha yoga instructor can likely help you.

Zoebird
8-11-11, 4:15am
hiya!

i teach yoga, and so i have lots of biases.

i agree that you want a place that is convenient -- if nothing else so you feel encouraged to go! Once you have found all of the convenient yoga studios, the next thing to do is try a lot of different styles. Different styles really speak to a lot of different people. Some people LOVE this one, and others hate that same one, you know? So you have to test things out.

From there, you're going to need to talk to the teachers. Before class, you'll need to talk about your specific issues, and you'll need to ask whether the teacher is comfortable handling that issue. There are good and bad teachers, and where they work, how they look, or even what they say (about themselves) doesn't actually indicate whether they are good or bad.

So, you want to look for someone who keeps an eye on you, your knees, and your specific need. The person might ask -- how and when does the pain/discomfort manifest in your daily life? and they might give you a few tips up front, but it's *during* the class that you'll notice. If you feel tweaked and speak up, s/he should be able to ask a question or two, and give a couple of modification options for you. And if they say "no, that's ok!' or "keep doing it, it's ok that it hurts!" then they aren't quite in the right understanding yet (discomfort is ok, pain isn't, and some teachers don't know the difference when they are first starting out).

anyway, that's my two cents. :)

herbgeek
8-11-11, 6:28am
If you're just starting out, and are stiff, I'd recommend looking for a "gentle" or "Yin" yoga style. Those are slower paced, and less likely to cause injury.

Zoebird
8-11-11, 7:01am
actually, yin can be a nightmare. the training is sparse, at best, and the theory is sketchy. there's a lot of "hanging in the joints" (stretching tendons and ligaments) which ultimately creates unstable joints, rather than creating stable joints, which actually reduces pain.

so, until there's a foundation in understanding the joints and yoga, i would stay away from Yin, Bikram, and likely barkan -- as those three families really don't explain it well (the language is way off "lock the knee!" and so on), and stick with sivananda or iyengar yoga. anusara would also be a viable choice, because of it's emphasis on biomechanics and therapeutic applications.

creaker
8-11-11, 8:01am
I've been doing Kripalu (Hatha) yoga for several years - the classes are basically some stretching, various yoga poses, followed by relaxation/meditation at the end. I really should have a good practice by now, but I'm still pretty much just once a week during class person.

Spartana
8-11-11, 12:37pm
I like pilates (mat pilates not on a reformer machine) ALOT better than yoga. I think it is just as effective for flexibility but with more movement, less pose holding (which I find boring yet hard - plus it puts me to sleep during class most of the time :-)!). You might try that instead of yoga. Lots of DVDs and classes out there for that. There is also a PBS TV series called "Classical Stretch with Miranda Edmonde-White" or something like that which is nothing but very traditional stretching for flexibilty and strenght. You might look that up online for a show on one of your PBS stations or where to buy or rent DVDs. Again, no crazy or difficult or even harmful/hurtful yoga poses - just plain old gentle stretching - standing, seating and lying down. You can also borrow many exercise DVDs for free at your library too. Try 'em before you buy 'em!

herbgeek
8-11-11, 1:51pm
If you're looking for suggestions /other/ than yoga, I give a high 5 to Qigong. I find it very relaxing to do slow, rhythmic movements.

treehugger
8-11-11, 3:06pm
I like pilates (mat pilates not on a reformer machine) ALOT better than yoga. I think it is just as effective for flexibility but with more movement, less pose holding (which I find boring yet hard - plus it puts me to sleep during class most of the time :-)!).

100% ditto that. Do you have Netflix? There are a zillion workout DVDs in all styles available for download and streaming. In my opinion, mat pilates may be easier to "get" for via video than yoga, for beginners at least.

Good luck finding something that works for you. Flexibility is certainly a skill that needs to be worked at for most of us, especially as we get older. Use it or lose it. :)

Kara

Zoebird
8-12-11, 7:28am
I feel the opposite about pilates. I actually hate it, and i've had mat and reformer (and chair, pole, etc), and i've had classes and one on one sessions, and done videos. I really hate the stuff, and find it really tedious.

but, i like vinyasa yoga, which flows through postures, more than the sequences with longer holds and pauses or resting times (standing or seated) between postures.

people are different. :D

Spartana
8-13-11, 1:31pm
I feel the opposite about pilates. I actually hate it, and i've had mat and reformer (and chair, pole, etc), and i've had classes and one on one sessions, and done videos. I really hate the stuff, and find it really tedious.

but, i like vinyasa yoga, which flows through postures, more than the sequences with longer holds and pauses or resting times (standing or seated) between postures.

people are different. :D Well to be honest I'm not that fond of pilates either - more of a high impact/high energy kind of girl myself. But I know that alot of yoga poses are not only hard to do, but can cause alot of pain if someone has bad knees, back, etc... So since mat pilates and alot of stretching classes are done laying down (and not having to support your body weight) it can be gentler to the joints. My sister has taken up "Hot Yoga" which she loves. I don't know what kind of yoga it is, just that it's done in a room that is over 100 degrees. YIKES! But she, like me, finds that yoga really works to strengthen the body. I'm always amazed after a yoga class that I can really feel the effect on my muscles. Still rather kick box though :D!

Zoebird
8-13-11, 4:41pm
i think it's interesting that you say "a lot of yoga postures are not only hard to do, but can cause a lot of pain if someone has bad knees, back, etc" which is the exact opposite of my experience.

i think that it has a lot to do with the style, the teacher (and his/her level of training/knowledge), and the sequencing of the posture. i teach a lot of therapeutics, our job is to protect and heal the joints, spine, etc -- which you can do if you are aligning, modifying and sequencing the postures properly. but, i have to admit, not a lot of teachers know how to do this, and it's very difficult to pick up from a book.

it is also true that yoga works to strengthen the body -- this is how it remediates the joints/etc issues, and also how it develops flexibility. it is actually not enough to simply stretch, but in fact the whole integrity of the system needs to work together. An example is tight hamstrings. If a person has tight hamstrings, it *usually* (but not always) means that they have weak quadriceps, and so by working the quadriceps (strengthening), you can actually gain more flexibility in the hamstrings overtime. As opposed to simply trying to stretch the hamstrings over and over, which is like pushing against a brick wall if you're not building the quadriceps.

that being said, i've worked with people in pretty dire straights physically (eg, ruptured disks but prior to surgery; knee and hip replacements; people with chronic back issues, spina bifida, etc; people with extreme fibromyalgia, MS, and recovering from gillian barre syndrome, etc), and some sequences are about staying on the floor, or using chairs, or using the wall for balance, and so on.

with hot yoga, your sister could be doing several kinds, but is likely doing bikram -- which is usually done at 105/106 degrees F. The other hot yogas, which stem from this form (baptiste, barkan, and grilley's yin style) tend to work in rooms between 85 and 95 degrees F. hot yogas that then deviate from these teachers (which don't have known names), will usually be between 80 and 90 degrees F. i have studied and practiced within all of these forms, and love the heat and therapeutic aspects, but I do not teach in heat because it is inaccessible to so many people whom I usually attract as clients (see above), and it would be risky to put them in such an environment. I teach at about 70-75 degrees F usually, and people sweat like the dickens because I teach them to breathe properly.

razz
8-13-11, 10:38pm
Lots of info and things to consider so thank you everyone.

leslieann
8-14-11, 10:08am
I really enjoyed reading this thread.

I have only my personal experience with trying out various styles and teachers. I love the meditative, contemplative aspect of being in the body and with the body. So some of the more vigorous forms are too "fast" for me. I was so fortunate to have an excellent kripalu trained teacher initially. I took her Yoga I class as many times as I could (four, I think..you know, beginner's mind!) because I got more out of it each time. She was extremely precise in using imagery to help people get the positioning correct, and very focused on ways to accommodate. When she had a sub, or when I tried other teachers, I learned to appreciate what she brought to the session because it isn't everyone who can teach in a style that works particularly well for me. I need bits of verbal support that describes how my body should feel, sort of....not exactly that...but gentle reminders to "lift your heart" would improve my positioning and thus help me get way more out of the session than otherwise. Trying to do yoga on my own also helps me remember that a good teacher is a wonderful resource.

I think (suspect?) also that some yoga training models are less demanding than others. With the recent proliferation of yoga classes in every little gym, it is possible that some training is a bit minimal. I am pretty sure that yoga teachers should know quite a bit about anatomy and physiology, various structural and functional problems that students might have, as well as teaching skills....all this and a personal practice, too! Come to think of it, yoga classes are quite a bargain if you have a well trained teacher. I do know many people who do the work for the love of it, but it would be nice if they could also make a living at it.

Rogar
8-14-11, 9:31pm
I've been doing yoga for a long time. Years before there was a studio on every corner. I learned from a few books and later by watching Lilias Yoga on PBS. I've never advanced beyond an intermediate skill level at best, but have no doubt it keeps me more flexible and is generally has a positive effect on one's health. I also like the relaxation and meditation part. I think if I was starting new at it these days, I'd get a handful of DVDs somehow and attend a few classes to see what you are comfortable with and what you like. There are a few yoga programs every morning on my local PBS, also. Lilias still has a program on PBS every morning. She has been called the Julia Childs of yoga and I still enjoy her routines. They are mostly gentle and she has a good philisophy.

It's funny. I have a few friends who will only do yoga in a class or studio. I think it's far more enjoyable once you become familiar with a some poses and routines and can practice in a quiet area of you home and develop a routine that fits your schedule. And doesn't cost 5 or ten dollars a crack. I guess a class room is quieter than some folk's homes.

I'm starting to see a few people of all ages in my area doing Tai Chi in our parks. That actually looks like it would be fun.

Spartana
8-15-11, 12:51pm
with hot yoga, your sister could be doing several kinds, but is likely doing bikram -- which is usually done at 105/106 degrees F. The other hot yogas, which stem from this form (baptiste, barkan, and grilley's yin style) tend to work in rooms between 85 and 95 degrees hot yogas that then deviate from these teachers (which don't have known names), will usually be between 80 and 90 degrees F. i have studied and practiced within all of these forms, and love the heat and therapeutic aspects, but I do not teach in heat because it is inaccessible to so many people whom I usually attract as clients (see above), and it would be risky to put them in such an environment. I teach at about 70-75 degrees F usually, and people sweat like the dickens because I teach them to breathe properly.

I asked her what "kind" it was and she I dunno -Yoga :-)! She does the kind in the 105 degree room and because she's ultra fit it doesn't bother her (like plays several hours of beach volleyball, then goes for several hours of mountain biking in very hilly southern calif, THEN does a hot yoga class to "relax" at night :-)! Makes me tired just thinking of it :-)! As far as pain when holding poses, maybe it's just me, but after having knee surgury I find it very painful to hold even a simple pose like the Warrior pose (that knee bending forward one) and some of the other's too even though I can run and play volleyball, do a step class or kick boxing class, etc..etc.. with little pain. But I agree that I think it can be very theraputic when done with the right teacher or maybe one on one. need you to move to the USA to teach me Zoebird. Although I am a total clutz so no laughing at me allowed :-)!

Zoebird
8-16-11, 8:14pm
i suspect that the posture (warrior) is not being modified for you -- that your stance is too wide, and therefore the bend too deep, putting too much pressure on the joint. it's a common thing, and i'm constantly "shortening" people's stances in these postures -- because they see a book and it's a very wide stance (eventually), with the knee at a 90 degree angle, and they think that they need to be doing that "right away" rather than backing off. Most people don't have the hip flexibility for that kind of depth, or the strength in the thigh to keep the knee integrity, or for that matter, often the knee "collapses inward" toward the arch of the foot, and that also causes strain (rather than the thigh bone externally rotating to draw the knee into a more stable position).

likewise, a lot of what you do is "high impact" but likely doesn't have a lot of steadiness (eg, holding a posture) which is strength building, and also might not have the various "closures" of the knee joint. Meaning, you have your typical moving from straight leg to bent -- but in step aerobics, it's not weight bearing when you do that, and it may not bend to 90 degrees or more. KWIM?

and if you had meniscus or ACL surgery, then the lateral/medial movements are even more important in yoga classes -- that knee collapsing in can cause REAL pain particularly while holding a posture, even though a simple adjustment in position would make a huge difference (wherein you wouldn't feel pain at all). Total knee replacements are another matter -- understanding what the range of motion of the new joint is vital to modifying appropriately.

and, yeah, she's doing bikram. :D nice to know she's not a snob about it. some people are real yoga snobs (eg: "my yoga is the only true yoga!").

----

yes, yoga teacher training varies in quality a great deal. some people will take any student who wants to take teacher training -- even if they just started yoga last week. others won't accept someone into training until they've been practicing at least ayear with that studio/teacher. And from there, the actual quality of the education varies as well, in addition to the flavor. some teacher trainings focus almost entirely on the meditation, breathing, and philosophical -- so the actual training in asana (and it's safety and therapeutic applications) is completely lost.

And even so, a high quality training often doesn't teach people how to learn about postures -- there's generally a quick overview of anatomy and such, but not necessarily a study of the joints, how they work, the basic biomechanics, how to understand postures in light of this information, and how to work with them. which is why i developed teh training that i did for teachers. it's for people who already have a basic certification. :)

-----

I love lilias.

Glo
8-17-11, 12:52pm
I go to two yoga classes a week and its the hardest thing I do. (I also do 3 water aerobic classes and 3 aeorobic classes a week; they are all silver-sneaker classes.). Yoga helps me with flexibility as well as balance. I started Yoga in May and can definitely see a difference. But it is not an easy disacipline (sp?).

Spartana
8-17-11, 1:34pm
Thanks for all the info Zoebird! Makes me want to try yoga again but probably with someone who knows everything you do - maybe a private class instead of the group classes. Here in SoCal they are very crowded and you don't get much, if any, individual attention. And with the abuse I put my body thru nearly daily (just as bad as sis but in different things) I really need someone who can work with me individually. But never hot yoga - UGH - I melt if it gets above 70 degrees!!

P.S. My sister got her short term membership for the hot yoga classes via "Groupons". She says it's a great way to try out different classes and gyms before making a long term and costly commitment. Like me, she doesn't really know much about yoga (definetely not a yoga snob since she doesn't knoe one kind from the other) but she's going to try other types when she sees them online with Groupns.