PDA

View Full Version : High School Expenses

Float On
8-13-11, 9:29am
Sure didn't take long - first day of school (Thursday) the boys came home with the first 'opportunity' paper. Band/Choir trip to Disney for 3 days next March - only $675 per student.

My boys are both Freshmen this year (they are 11.5 mts apart and that is how their birthdays fall, putting them in the same grade) and I just realized every 'opportunity' and every 'need' is going to be 'times two'!

Reyes
8-13-11, 11:17am
Yikes, that is pricey! My daughter is entering 10th grade. Thankfully, other than the $3 here and there for dance admission, we didn't have any additional costs for 9th grade. She does not do any sports, choir, etc. that would require additional funds.

artist
8-13-11, 2:00pm
Band trips and AP trips were pricy like that. This year we are dealing with College expenses for the first time.

They usually have fundraisers through the band to help with expenses, if not that is plenty enough time for the boys to come up with money on their own. Mowing yards and babysitting are good places to start.

Mrs-M
9-7-11, 2:15am
That's atrocious Float On. We've been real lucky that way, as all monies related to special trip/travel expenditures is acquired through fundraising programs put on by the schools.

Float On
9-7-11, 7:24am
Well both boys said they'd rather not go on that expensive trip. This is the first year they've opened it up to allow Freshmen. So I dodged the bullet on that one. Both said that if they could apply the money to a family trip they'd rather do that (ahhhh....I feel loved). They were offering some fundraising if they'd gone that route but it's been my experience that fundraising can be a lot of work with little return.

I'm hoping they get tired of the new option of buying items 'a la carte' at the lunch line - they are running out of their own money and I'm not going to spring for that stuff.

Mrs-M
9-7-11, 8:03am
Great news Re: the trip Float On. All year long I've (more or less) sat posed in a sort of catatonic state hoping for no more unexpected financial surprises, and so far so good. Here's hoping for a fresh new start (and year) for 2012, a chance to gain the upper-hand on all we had to wave goodbye to (at least temporarily) this year, thanks to a couple of hits in the pocketbook. Seems to take forever to get back on top again, so managing an out when it comes to expenditures (big and small) is always so welcome.