PDA

View Full Version : Gardening primer and tour

puglogic
8-13-11, 3:19pm
We did an interesting community event in my town today. We invited the community (and the neighboring, bigger community) to come to our community garden for a mini-workshop on how to grow things here at our altitude, wildlife, techniques, why home-grown is superior, etc. Then we took them on a walking tour of some of the best gardens in town so they could talk to the owners about what they did, what's good, what's not, etc.

It was great fun, we got some exercise, we exchanged numbers and emails, and we all learned a lot from each other.

If you have people in your neighborhood who garden, this is a nice way to create a mini-community of people with common interests.

Gardenarian
9-8-11, 4:09pm
Sounds great!

In my town there is a long wait to get a plot in the community garden, and "plot-holders" are the only ones invited to the community garden website, mailing list, activities, etc.

I think I need to talk to someone in charge and bring the community back to the garden! An event like yours would be a perfect start.

puglogic
9-8-11, 4:35pm
To us, the community garden isn't a clubby kind of thing - and it's not just a place where someone can stake out a plot and grow their cucumbers. It's also a chance to educate the community at large about the joys and benefits of home grown. We see people all the time come walk around the garden's perimeter, pointing out beautiful flower types, bountiful tomato bushes, etc. Some of them take notes. Next year we're thinking about putting the varieties on stake markers so it can be even more helpful.

So it's about community amongst the gardeners, sure, but it's also all about educating and engaging the community about food gardening as a worthwhile pursuit. You might take that tack with your garden's organizers.