PDA

View Full Version : Podcast Recommendations?

AmeliaJane
8-13-11, 10:55pm
A few months ago I discovered the "Pop Culture Happy Hour" podcast from NPR and fell in love--it's a group of about four NPR staffers who have weekly discussions on popular culture--sometimes current TV, movies, etc--but just as often larger questions or reminscences like "What makes a great superhero movie?" or "What pop culture traditions does your family have at Christmas?" Very fun--like the dinner party conversation at the parties I would love to have. Well, I have now exhausted their archive, and I am looking for new things to listen in between the weekly installments.

Would love to hear recommendations if anyone has suggestions--it can be on any subject as long as the hosts are interesting to listen to. (For those who are new to podcasts, they are like mini-radio shows that you can download for free via the Internet. Ipod owners can get them through iTunes.)

KayLR
8-13-11, 11:24pm
I used to subscribe to quite a few NPR podcasts, like their Driveway Moments. But my favorite podcasts were the This American Life ones. I don't know if they're still free; I believe most are. Chicago Public Radio is where they live.

Rogar
8-14-11, 1:01pm
I've listed to a variety of podcasts over time, but only ones I've listed to conistently are the NPR podcasts. I like the NPR Krista Tippett on "Being" podcast and Marketplace Money the best.

lhamo
8-14-11, 1:04pm
I also love This American Life. You can download the previous week's episode for free, or listen on-line to their entire archive.

Planet Money is one of my favorites, too. They tackle various topics related to economics and finance from a really quirky perspective. They often collaborate with TAL and organizations like pro publica.

Another economics/finance one I like is Marketplace.

Radiolab is kind of quirky.

Terry Gross is a good interviewer and her guests on Fresh Aire are often interesting.

The Splendid Table is a good food/cooking oriented one. I also like the regular Your Health and Food podcasts from NPR.

I think you pretty much can't go wrong with most NPR podcasts. They are generally great and very informative.

lhamo

Perplexa
8-14-11, 2:07pm
Here are some of my favorites:

The Bugle and BBC Friday Night Comedy for humor (though the bugle has some very silly and immature humor and a lot of bad puns).

Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me (from NPR) has a podcast.

I love Planet Money, which is from the same studio that does This American Life. It's an economics podcast, but I find it more interesting than Marketplace. They typically do a single topic in each show. There's also a Freakonomics podcast, which is good.

I really like Quirks and Quarks, which is the CBC's weekly science show. I find it more interesting and more intelligent than Science Friday, and the host is great.

The other science show I love is Science...Sort Of, which is a bunch of grad students and postdocs talking about science, beer, and movie trailers.

seekingsimplicity
8-18-11, 1:59pm
I listen to the free podcast by Paula Begoun the Cosmetics Cop. She recommends or reviews cosmetics and it goes hand in hand with her beautypedia.com website.

herbgeek
8-18-11, 4:25pm
Already mentioned above, Wait Wait Dont' Tell Me is a pseudo game show that is based on current events, and has lots of current cultural references. And its very funny.