PDA

View Full Version : Shelties?

rodeosweetheart
8-14-11, 11:35am
Does anyone here have any experience with Shelties? There is a puppy we looked at, 12 weeks old, and it is a great breeder with a vet partner, so health would be good. We like herding dogs and I like the smaller size, and Shelties have a great rep, but when we went to see the puppies (there were only two left) they did not come running to greet us--in fact, ran away and barked and it was very odd. I am not used to this reaction in dogs--dogs usually like me pretty well, and my terrier girl is very cuddly, lap dog type. After about ten minutes they came over and sat near me and let me pet them, but they hung back really far from my husband--although finally they stood and let him pet them--we were sitting on the floor, very non-threatening. They licked our fingers, which I thought was good, but real head shy.

I have read the breed is "wary of strangers" but not sure about how this temperament thing works out--I thought maybe go back and ask to see them again, since presumably we would not be quite as strange?

It was kind of demoralizing, really. Not that I need a big slobbery Labrador (no offense,Lab lovers) but sort of felt like the dog did not like us?

Any Sheltie aficianados out there?

fidgiegirl
8-14-11, 11:51am
Sorry, not here. Well, I take it back. We had three shelties growing up. Two were totally of the "wary" kind. Not lovey dovies. The third was my favorite dog ever, but again, he wasn't a real lovie. I think I loved him so well because of where I was at at the time. Plus, the hair. Oh man, you can't imagine the hair.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer! Maybe someone else out there has more sheltie love than I.

KayLR
8-14-11, 1:43pm
No exp with shelties, but if you eliminate them from contention, I'd recommend corgies if you like smaller herding dogs. My mom has had 3 and they were all adorable and very affectionate. But hairy, yes.

rodeosweetheart
8-14-11, 2:07pm
Thank you, Kay, although I would feel kind of like Helen Mirren. . . Wish I had her body.

Fidgie--how funny, "not feeling the Sheltie love"--I hope someone weighs in with some positives. The hair is not a big deal--we had a Great Pyrennees, and I have known people who made hats out of the hair. Although I do enjoy our non-shedding Cairn.

loosechickens
8-14-11, 3:23pm
I bred Shelties in a Universe far away and long ago, even several AKC Champions, and a number of obedience champions. Haven't had experience with the shelties of the recent thirty years or so, but.........the personality the puppy has is the personality the adult dog has. Some are very wary of strangers, timid and scared. others are friendly, tail waggers and friendly from the beginning. Back when I was breeding, we looked upon the timid ones as undesirable, but in the many years since, Shelties have become much more popular, and I'm sure that the bad traits have become more prominent in the breed as happens with dismal regularity when a breed becomes more popular.

Shelties are among the most intelligent of dogs. They are obedient to a fault (we worked with training Shelties as guide dogs for blind children back then, and most failed in that most important trait, the ability to defy a command and insert their own judgement rather than accept their owner's judgement if it was wrong. Unfortunately, when the handler told the Sheltie to go forward they turned themselves inside out to obey, even if there was a ditch in the way or a low hanging awning.........They just did not have what was needed to override that habit of obedience when needed).

They are loving, kind and all around are one of my favorite breeds of dogs, despite the hair....they are double coated, like a Collie or German Shepherd, and that dense, furry undercoat sheds and sheds and sheds much of the year.

Incidentally, you may know this, but many don't. They are NOT a miniature collies and are, instead, an offshoot from a common ancestor of the present day collie. They are a working dog and appreciate having a job to do. they absolutely excel in obedience training, or herding (ours, in the absence of sheep made do with flocks of domestic ducks).

But, I would be a bit wary of the puppies that shy away and are not interested and curious and ready to play. There are plenty like that, and best to pass over the timid ones, because that trait is not likely to change, although even those will get where they trust YOU, just not strangers, etc.

I would look for a puppy more willing to engage, myself. And, just because a person is a "breeder" doesn't mean that every puppy they produce is desirable, and even being a vet doesnt really help with that.

Even the best of Shelties are not going to be falling all over you like a Golden Retriever or a Lab, but the puppy should be interested, curious, exploring and friendly, IMHO.

hope this helps.......

rodeosweetheart
8-14-11, 5:10pm
Thank you, LC, it absolutely does, and I will show it to my husband to get his take on the breed and how it applies to this particular pup. Thank you!

JaneV2.0
8-14-11, 6:19pm
A cardinal rule of pet adoption--for me--is never to force a relationship. If I were you, I'd keep looking (and at different breeds, as well). Lots of lovely dogs waiting in shelters these days.

creaker
8-14-11, 8:42pm
We had a sheltie when my kids were young - very bonded with family, especially the kids, but wasn't particularly interested in anyone else, although he was always tolerant and polite. The only issue we had was he had a pretty high prey drive. Thick coat, but he'd blow his coat very quickly and it didn't take long to brush out.

We did the pet store thing - never would now, but we didn't know as much back then. There he was very friendly and engaged.

I wonder if those puppies got much people time?

rodeosweetheart
8-14-11, 10:03pm
I wonder if those puppies got much people time?[/QUOTE]

Your Sheltie sounds great. I think the puppies got a lot of people time, but of course you never know. There were kids and other folks around during the day.

loosechickens
8-14-11, 11:22pm
Also, within every litter will be various personalities, just as with human brothers and sisters. Since these were the last two pups in the litter, there may well have been more friendly, outgoing ones that had already found homes........I think I'd look at some more litters, myself, although truly, sometimes the quiet, more timid ones are just fine within the family, although the outgoing ones are definitely better when kids are involved. A scared, skittish dog is a dog that is not as tolerant of small children, etc.

they truly ARE wonderful dogs and when you train them for obedience, it's almost like if you can get across what you want, right from the beginning they will do perfectly. I had a little Sheltie that I took to her first obedience trial, had never been out of our home, and she placed top dog in trial over 200 or so other dogs.......Blu-J, may she rest in peace, I still mourn her after 35 years every time I see a little blue merle Sheltie........

good luck with your hunt.....

Wildflower
8-15-11, 12:24am
I've owned 2 Shelties. They were the most obedient, intelligent, loyal and loving dogs. I miss them everyday. They both passed in the last couple years. I will tell you that both were very shy when we first got them, but once we brought them home they bonded so tightly with us within a few days. Shelties are the most loyal dogs ever. We would have another, but DH says he can't take having his heart broke again when they pass. I understand that, while I would own another Sheltie in a heartbeat if given the chance.

We own a Pembroke Welsh Corgi now. She is a wonderful dog as well. Intelligent, obedient, affectionate and very loyal too. You might like this breed too. Take your time in picking a puppy, but if I were you I wouldn't be put off by a shy Sheltie.

Wildflower
8-15-11, 2:41pm
Just wanted to add that if you prefer a lapdog that is EXTREMELY affectionate, get a Pug or a Chihuahua. I own one of each currently and they are always either on my lap, sitting next to me, or at my feet. These little guys are real lovers, almost too much, but if that is what you are craving they fit the bill. They are not as smart as a Sheltie or Corgi, but they are smarter than you would think. They are great manipulators. LOL

I also wanted to add that once our Shelties bonded to us they were always incredibly excited to see us when we came home, just like any other breed. And actually both my Pug and my Chihuahua are wary of strangers too. Some dogs just have to develop trust in you before you see their unbridled enthusiasm. :)

rodeosweetheart
8-15-11, 4:59pm
Thank you LC, and thank you Wildflower, for your stories of these very special Shelties. They sound wonderful.

My cairn really is a cuddle bug, under my feet a lot of the time, so I am okay for a cuddly dog, and this was more looking to heal my husband's heart for the loss of his Aussie. the more I hear about the Shelties, the more interested i am. We will keep an open mind. Jane, we did visit all the shelters around here, but all they have are pitt bull mixes, and larger more aggressive-seeming lab/shepherds/chows. One lady had me call about a golden retriever, but it was already rehomed. I'm not sure that we would be able to find something our speed in the shelters, but I go through ever week or so and donate money each time I go, so I am trying!

treehugger
8-15-11, 5:58pm
Jane, we did visit all the shelters around here, but all they have are pitt bull mixes, and larger more aggressive-seeming lab/shepherds/chows. One lady had me call about a golden retriever, but it was already rehomed. I'm not sure that we would be able to find something our speed in the shelters, but I go through ever week or so and donate money each time I go, so I am trying!

What about a sheltie (or other breed) rescue group? I definitely understand what you mean about the public animal shelters being full of pit mixes, but there are rescue groups out there for nearly any breed you can think of, and that can be a great way to adopt a dog that needs a home (instead of buying from a breeder) and get the breed that's right for your family.

Kara
(lives with 2 rescued greyhounds)

rodeosweetheart
8-15-11, 9:49pm
I will definitely look into it, Kara! The beauty of the internet. . .

pony mom
8-19-11, 11:31pm
Gorgeous little dogs. However, the ones I've known have been a bit shy/fearful and enthusiastic barkers.

Simplemind
8-20-11, 2:00am
I adore Shelties. I lost my dear sweet girl about a year and a half ago. Although we have since got another dog it just isn't the same. When I bought mine I went to choose mine from a breeder. They showed me three dogs but I just wasn't feeling it. I asked if there was any more and was told there was one but they did not recommend her because she was very skittish and I had a very active 3 year old boy. I asked to see her anyway. They brought her into the room and she hung right around the door she came in through. Did not seem enthused to join the other dogs. It took a minute but we locked eyes and knew we were soul mates. She gave my son a wide berth and came to me. Despite their advice that the other dogs would be a better fit, I took her.
She was good with my son but always wary of him. Loved him when he was asleep............ The more time she spent with us the more zen she became. She had been a kenneled outside dog and it took awhile for her to get used to being inside. She just hadn't been socialized. That dog was a single mom's best friend. She stuck to me like glue. After a year and a half without her I still can't help looking down before I get off the couch or bed so I don't step on her. Shelties bond with their owners and I have never owned a dog more loyal. I had a retired police k9 and he was protective of the property but not nearly as protective of me personally.
As far as barking, it took her a couple of years to work up to it but she finally did bark a bit at the appropriate times, knock at the door etc. She had a funny throaty little vocalization that she did when her nose was out of joint or if she was curious about something coming towards us out walking. We considered it conversation. Oh boy............ starting to get tears in my eyes.......... I so miss my girl.

rodeosweetheart
8-20-11, 8:35am
Thank you, Simplemind, and everyone who has lost one of these wonderful dogs. I am thinking this actually would be a good dog for me. I will talk to my husband more and maybe look at more than this one litter. Thank you!

JaneV2.0
8-20-11, 11:26am
I can understand why people might be wary of pit bull mixes, but a good friend of mine fell in love with a (previously abused) shelter dog that appears to be pit bull and some kind of shepherd, and he's a good, loyal companion who's very protective of her flock of chickens. And he seems happy and grateful to have escaped his chain to live in a huge fenced yard with people who care about him.

Coincidentally, my neighbor found his Sheltie at a local no-kill facility. I second the suggestion to see if you have a Sheltie rescue nearby. Or try http://www.petfinder.com

iris lily
8-20-11, 11:49am
Pitbulls are really excellent dogs, but if you are pulled toward the sheltie personality I don't know if a pit will do it for you.

But my dog expert friend who loves pits (but has bulldogs instead) says that they are so loyal and easy to train. They will do anything for you, that's why they go into a fight because some one has told them to do it.

JaneV2.0
8-20-11, 12:28pm
Last winter, he hurried in through the pet door and woke her up to warn her of Something Important happening outside. Alert! Alert!

Turns out it was snowing. (The sky is falling!) Admittedly that's not a frequent occurrence around here...Good dog.

"Someone has told them to do it..." Some unspeakable excuse for a human being. This is when I hope for karma or Judgement Day.

rodeosweetheart
8-20-11, 1:37pm
Only because I know my dog can't read, I will say that my two favorite dogs of all time have been the first dog I owned, a saluki, and a dog my son brought home as a puppy, a great Pyrennees. Both were incredibly gentle dogs, and the saluki was reserved. So I'm thinking reserved is probably a good fit for me.

How cute about the snow, Jane!!

JaneV2.0
8-20-11, 2:53pm
I'm the only cat person in a family of dog people, the only Cancer in a family of Leos (Shouldn't I be the Leo?), so I haven't bonded with a lot of dogs, but my loyal companion when I was a child was a big, beautiful black Doberman. Smart, loyal, protective, and willing to share his dog biscuits. I'd hold the biscuit, he'd chew carefully around my tiny hand, then I'd take it back and chew on it for awhile...Good old Hap. Hope to see him again some day...