PDA

View Full Version : Hi, There!

Anda
8-15-11, 3:27pm
My name is Anda, I'm 27, married and own my home in Knoxville, TN. My husband and I are childfree by choice and are raising two dogs.

My parents have a farm in IL that's been in our family for generations. They raise laying chickens, meat rabbits, milk goats, geese, ducks and the odd pig. They also have a 1/4 acre garden in the back, a huge stockpile of wood to fuel the stove that they use to heat their house... I was raised in that environment. My husband's parents were also very self-reliant, though their lifestyle changed over time.

I'll admit that my decision to shift to a more sustainable life is driven by thrift. DH and I both work full-time and still have to pinch every penny. Fortunately, we now have the space to (I hope) do something about it, become more involved in our consumption and connect with the ideals of my parents.

We're taking baby steps: We put out our first garden this year and have plans to freeze, pickle, can and dry. I've started a campaign to barter items that I'd like to give new homes in exchange for equipment we need. I've been researching edible plants in our area and we'd like to hunt and fish, if not this year then next.

Unlike many (I guess), I really don't want to go back to a rural area. My neighborhood isn't terribly crowded, I love the city and, frankly, I don't want the work of a large homestead. But I do want to be free of complacent consumerism, take care of my family and feel good about what I do with my little corner of the Earth.

I guess that's it... Glad to be here and looking forward to getting to know you! :)

razz
8-15-11, 4:23pm
Welcome, Anda!

cow-hi

You will find lots of info as the posters share from a wide range of topics and insights. Looking forward to your contributions.

I am also having fun with the little icons that are on this site.
Razz

Sad Eyed Lady
8-15-11, 5:10pm
Welcome Anda! You will like it here - lots to learn and share. I used to live "just down the road" from you - over in Pigeon Forge!

Anda
8-15-11, 5:36pm
Thanks, Razz and Shalom_Poet. :) We've been here for several years, but we haven't been in the Pigeon Forge area much. Although we hit the aquarium a year ago (I think) and loved it. :) DH and I both love animals.

Still playing with my profile, etc, but I've been lurking for a while and have some noobie questions... so don't be surprised to see a billion posts in a day! ;)

artist
8-15-11, 7:04pm
Hi and welcome. I'll actually be driving down to Knoxville from New Hampshire on Friday. We are dropping our son off at Johnson.

Mrs-M
8-29-11, 4:09pm
Welcome Anda! Looking forward to seeing you around here more.