PDA

View Full Version : for the highly empathic

Zoe Girl
8-15-11, 9:38pm
Hi all! I am going to admit to being the highly empathic type (not that I am claiming to be any better of a person because of it). I find that it has wonderful parts and parts that are downright difficult and painful. One of the worst was walking into a group of parents as we watched our children at an activity and a person looked at me and was apparently mad at me. I had to clutch something to not bend over like I had been punched. And no, I really do not think that it was just something inside of me but something coming from her.

The best is when you feel something and you can reach out or somehow do just the right thing at the right time so someone feels better. Sometimes it is just knowing a thing about another person and acting accordingly making thigns smoother. And often I don't catch how others are feeling just like everyone else.

I just wonder if others find that when they are highly empathic that sometimes they get impressions even when that person is not around? Most of the time I can see that I talked to them or saw the other person so there was a way to pick up signals, but there are few times that just defy explanation like that. If you go with the Buddhist idea that we are all connected it doesn't sound so crazy, not that I am going to announce to anyone in real life LOL

herbgeek
8-16-11, 6:49am
With really close friends, I have been able to detect when there were strong emotions present, even when we were physically dozens of miles away. Things like: stressful deadline at work, or arguing at home came across to me as distress. I would then call or email, and the person would confirm. Can't do it as a rule in general though.

If you're that empathic in person, you might want to consider shielding yourself energetically to avoid picking up other people's junk.

Zoe Girl
8-16-11, 9:36am
Oh yes, after I had that incident about 15 years ago where I felt punched I decided to work on shielding myself. I had to refine it a bit because I started with too much that shut everything out, but got it mellowed out to where I am fairly well protected but am still aware of others.