PDA

View Full Version : The easiest dessert in the world

frugal-one
8-16-11, 1:45pm
I recently picked up an old health food book. In the index it listed the easiest dessert in the world. I had to check that out! It said to peel and freeze a banana and bring it out when you start eating and when you are ready for dessert it will take like banana ice cream. Surprise... it did! I also have read that pineapple can be frozen (haven't tried it yet) and, of course, grapes. Totally easy and very good!

Today I had a friend over for coffee and dessert. I made homemade Girl Scout cookies. I have two recipes but used the easiest one since I had everything in the house. They were amazing! I took a 3.5 oz dark chocolate mint bar (I had a free 50% cacao dark chocolate mint Godiva bar) melted the chocolate and then dipped fat free Ritz crackers in, placed on waxed paper and refrigerated. My friend could not believe they were Ritz crackers.

Any easy desserts you would like to share???

loosechickens
8-16-11, 2:04pm
This is close.......take a can of condensed milk, condensed milk, NOT evaporated milk, because you need all that sugar..... (nice if it's been in the fridge for awhile, but fine at room temperature, too), add the juice of two limes, stir......the lime juice coagulates the milk and you have the most amazing Key Lime type pudding......or if you're really going all out, you can make a graham cracker crust and put it in there and call it Key Lime pie.......(you can use Key Limes, or regular limes, or even lemons in a pinch)

When we were living in our van and traveling all over Central America with no refrigeration, this was our "go to" dessert......just mix up that lime juice with the milk, spoon it out into two dishes.....aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

Another one is to take that can of condensed milk and empty it into a heavy bottomed pan, and heat gently, stirring, until it caramelizes, and turns into dulce de leche............be careful not to burn it......oh, so wonderful.....

Of course, these days, I think about all those calories and all that sugar, and pass it up, but we were younger then..... ;-)

ApatheticNoMore
8-16-11, 2:18pm
I've also frozen cherries and blueberries (cherries are the better of the two),not for long term storage (which doesn't work too well), but just to intensify the sweetness and ice cream like texture and yes slightly extend the lifespan.

puglogic
8-16-11, 3:17pm
I'm making one tonight: strawberries with balsamic reduction. I stir up about 3/4 cup of balsamic vinegar with about a half-cup of sugar and a couple of slices of fresh ginger, then simmer it for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool it off, and drizzle it over sliced fresh strawberries. Holy cow it's good.

H-work
8-16-11, 4:32pm
A handful of chocolate chips is my quick and easy desert. When I need something extra fancy, I dip them into a scoop of peanut butter. :)

Anne Lee
8-16-11, 4:52pm
When I lived in Bolivia, we would take the can of sweetened condensed milk and put it in boiling water unopened. This is how we made "milk candy" or dulce de leche.

Aqua Blue
8-16-11, 6:51pm
easy chocolate Mousse
1 pint 1/2 and 1/2 or whole cream. 1 bag of chocolate chips. Melt the chocolate chips and slowly add to the cream in a blender. Chill.

treehugger
8-16-11, 7:42pm
Saute sliced bananas in butter and brown sugar. Add rum if desired. Serve over vanilla ice cream. Wow!

Kara

Stella
8-16-11, 9:01pm
This is a dangerous, dangerous thread. :)

CathyA
8-16-11, 9:46pm
I've gained a couple pounds just reading it!!

puglogic
8-16-11, 9:50pm
Me too....especially that chocolate mousse.....

Tradd
8-16-11, 9:54pm
For the frozen banana, a FB friend whirls the frozen banana in her food processor. She might add a little PB or vanilla. Her kids call it "banana ice cream." She said putting it in the food processor really adds a creamy texture. You could use a blender, too.

Maxamillion
8-16-11, 10:23pm
I knew someone who would take small scoops of ice cream, roll them in crushed cornflakes, and drizzle honey over them. Kind of like the fried ice cream you'd get at a Mexican restaurant. So good.

Amaranth
8-17-11, 11:52am
The frozen banana blended with another frozen fruit is good too (pitted cherries, raspberries, strawberries...)

Gregg
8-17-11, 11:55am
The easiest dessert in the world is a can of whipped cream. Fun, too.

Tradd
8-17-11, 12:20pm
I'm happy with Cool Whip!

razz
8-17-11, 6:21pm
I make lemon curd and keep on hand. I use it to spread on bread, yogurt, between cake layers or in tiny tart shells.

CathyA
8-17-11, 8:43pm
This isn't quite as easy as some of the other recipes, but its fairly easy and very decadent.
I buy those "World Famous Chocolate Wafers" (or you can use something else like ginger snaps).
Whip up 2 cups of heavy cream with 3-4 tablespoons of sugar and put the whipped cream between each cookie.
Make them in rows and lay the rows down beside each other. Then cover the whole thing with the rest of the whipped cream.
Put in fridge at least 6-8 hours. Its fabulous!! Its called Zebra cake. So rich and delicious, and only takes about 15 minutes to make. It can be a very fancy desert.
But if I want something even faster for my sweet tooth, its chocolate chips.

Aqua Blue
8-17-11, 9:07pm
Razz, I like making lemon curd in the microwave too. I like a dollop on greek yogart.

CathyA, my former mil used to make that fairly often. I really liked it, thanks for reminding me.

frugal-one
8-17-11, 9:25pm
Great ideas!!! Many I never even heard of. Milk candy? Looked up Zebra Cake http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/zebra-cake-2/detail.aspx looks fantastic... Lemon curd? http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/microwave-lemon-curd/detail.aspx Thanks for all the ideas!

Tiam
8-17-11, 9:29pm
The food I abhor above all others is banana. That said, on the original post regarding frozen bananas, I saw that on foodtv the other day. Frozen bananas were whipped up in a food processor. Certainly looked like ice cream. I'll take her word on how delicious it was.

jody
8-18-11, 4:29pm
I use lemon juice and condensed milk to make lemon pudding all the time. It is one of my most favorite things!

Greg44
8-18-11, 5:17pm
A handful of chocolate chips is my quick and easy desert. When I need something extra fancy, I dip them into a scoop of peanut butter. :)

Now you are talking my language! :laff:

JaneV2.0
8-18-11, 8:20pm
Sweetened ricotta with berries and cream.

rosarugosa
8-18-11, 8:39pm
Some of those sound so easy that even I could make them - this thread is making me smile :D

Selah
8-20-11, 10:29am
Make a slit down one side of an unpeeled banana. Stick it under the broiler for a few minutes. Spread skin open like a banana boat and top with jam and, if you feel like it, whipped cream and sprinkles!

Mrs-M
2-7-12, 12:39pm
My kids love this one. (Adjust ingredients to suit you/your families needs).

In frying pan/skillet, melt a small dollop of real butter, then add (peeled) apple to the pan (chunks), sprinkle with a dash of cinnamon (to taste), then lightly saute for a few minutes (medium heat). In a small soup bowl, add a dollop of vanilla ice cream, then add sauteed apple over. Drizzle with honey. So good!!!

Selah
2-7-12, 2:42pm
Take a banana in its peel and make a slit up the peel along the inner curve. Stick it under a broiler for a few minutes, with aluminum foil underneath the banana to catch the drips. Broil until the peel is blackened, then remove. Peel the banana and add your favorite type of jelly, or, as I do, chocolate syrup with whipped cream!

KayLR
2-7-12, 3:03pm
What I've been enjoying this winter is D'anjou pear cut into chunks and sprinkled with allspice, then topping with a dollop of vanilla yogurt.

Gregg
2-7-12, 4:50pm

Ha, I thought I was the only one. I've had chocolate chips and PB since I was a little kid and didn't have a dime for Reece's Cups! I STILL indulge once in a while!!!

HappyHiker
2-7-12, 9:36pm
Like Jane, I'm a ricotta fan..I mix mine with some lemon or lime zest, honey, and vanilla...no muss, no fuss, except for the zesting part...

Mrs-M
2-8-12, 5:11pm
Gee whiz, so many wonderful dessert ideas!