jp1
8-16-11, 9:21pm
My top 3 choices for spending cuts.

1. Defense
2. Defense
3. Defense

Mangano's Gold
8-16-11, 9:51pm
Let's ask the Republican candidates. A review of Mitt Romney's website offers no cuts, just "spending is out of control". Ditto Michele Bachmann. Just stuff about "cutting spending". But what spending? Why not give us some idea?

That's of course a rhetorical question. Budget cuts are much more popular in the abstract than in reality, even among Republicans. And the deficit is convenient tool to bludgeon Obama with. These guys are blowing smoke up the primary voters' butts and the voters are just loving it.

Rogar
8-16-11, 11:39pm
I think they all need to be cut. Plus tax increases back to the levels before Reaganomics and Bush tax cuts.

Buck up our lagging educational system and make college affordable, fix up the bridges than are failing and develop a national mass transit program. Reopen our state parks. Get serious about energy independence and growing green jobs so than an unstable middle east no longer rules our economy. Bring our troops home. Bring our jobs home. Stop spiraling health care costs instead of cutting entitlements.

Make the rich pay more dues to the society that made them that way. I'm relatively poor and willing to pay a little more in taxes.

Bring back the space program so that we can dream of infinite possibilities and have national heros that aren't sports stars.

Stopping squabbling about self-serving politics and have the courage to become the great country we once were instead of cowering behind our precious dollar.

And for heavens sake, bring back music education in public schools so the next generation doesn't get another Lady Gaga

creaker
8-17-11, 8:18am
Defense, definitely. We no longer have the money to run the show, actually for quite a while now.

Whatever we cut will be painful - the average standard of living in the US is really going to drop.

mtnlaurel
8-17-11, 9:26am
I think they all need to be cut. Plus tax increases back to the levels before Reaganomics and Bush tax cuts.

Buck up our lagging educational system and make college affordable, fix up the bridges than are failing and develop a national mass transit program. Reopen our state parks. Get serious about energy independence and growing green jobs so than an unstable middle east no longer rules our economy. Bring our troops home. Bring our jobs home. Stop spiraling health care costs instead of cutting entitlements.

Make the rich pay more dues to the society that made them that way.

Bring back the space program so that we can dream of infinite possibilities.

Stopping squabbling about self-serving politics and have the courage to become the great country we once were instead of cowering behind our precious dollar.

And for heavens sake, bring back music education in public schools so the next generation doesn't get another Lady Gaga

ROGAR 2012!!!
Especially the Lady Gaga part!

Rogar
8-17-11, 10:10am
And oh yeah, stop giving artificial respiration to people who bought expensive houses on low incomes. Let the houses go back to the banks that made the risky loans and let the people live in apartments or cheaper houses like they should have. I'm tired of watching people whine about being kicked out of their houses that are twice as large and 50 years newer than mine.

IshbelRobertson
8-17-11, 10:15am
I'm British and our government has decided to make budget cuts in ALL areas: health, education, welfare, defence, social education, youth services, police - you name it, it's being cut.

peggy
8-17-11, 10:51am

Make the rich pay more dues to the society that made them that way. I'm relatively poor and willing to pay a little more in taxes.

Bring back the space program so that we can dream of infinite possibilities and have national heros that aren't sports stars.

++1
Rogar for President!

LDAHL
8-17-11, 11:12am
It’s not a matter of preference. It’s a matter of necessity. If the big three entitlement programs already account for 43% of spending, and the growth keeps accelerating, nothing else we can do will much matter. We could de-fang the Pentagon, plunder the plutocrats and privatize the parks, but it still wouldn’t be enough to appease the beast.

HappyHiker
8-17-11, 11:15am
Ditto what Rogar said...much more for education, libraries and trade schools, much, much less for defense...and while we're at it, let's cut govt. subsidies for corn and subsidize broccoli instead. Our world would be a healthier place.

Aqua Blue
8-17-11, 11:37am
Rogar all the way!

Gregg
8-17-11, 11:54am
If I have to pick one I would say defense. Policeman to the world is a title we could relinquish. There is plenty of fluff that could be cut from the budget and still leave us with a strong national defense. Don't dismantle, streamline.

Zigzagman
8-17-11, 12:11pm
My first choice would be defense. There is so much waste and has been forever!

We need a real effort to stop the fraud in SS disability and Medicare. Cleaning up those programs would be my first step in keeping them viable for future generations.

Change the tax code and stop giving incentives for more children.

Peace

Rogar
8-17-11, 2:33pm
It’s not a matter of preference. It’s a matter of necessity. If the big three entitlement programs already account for 43% of spending, and the growth keeps accelerating, nothing else we can do will much matter. We could de-fang the Pentagon, plunder the plutocrats and privatize the parks, but it still wouldn’t be enough to appease the beast.

I agree. When most people think of entitlement cuts I think they view at as across the board and picture poor old people unable to retire or afford health care. I would think there would be smart ways to have better control over program costs without big benefit reductions. Means testing for SS. Health care system revisions to control costs, which are going to eventually eat the working man as well as the retiree alive if something isn't done. Ii saw an interview with Warren Buffet yesterday. He has his $32k as a direct deposit into his account. It is so small to him that he said he doesn't even notice it. That's not right.

And we underestimate the power of small tax changes. Here's a quote from The Center on Budget and Policy concerning the Bush tax cuts. In this context, the sky isn't falling.

"The revenue loss over the next 75 years just from extending the tax cuts for people making over $250,000 — the top 2 percent of Americans — would be about as large as the entire Social Security shortfall over this period. Members of Congress cannot simultaneously claim that the tax cuts for people at the top are affordable while the Social Security shortfall constitutes a dire fiscal threat."

Gregg
8-17-11, 3:51pm
Ii saw an interview with Warren Buffet yesterday. He has his $32k as a direct deposit into his account. It is so small to him that he said he doesn't even notice it. That's not right.

My road diverges here. I'm not a fan of means testing. If you paid in the same amount as someone else you should receive the same benefit back regardless of other criteria. That is only fair in my mind. A more equitable system overall can be achieved with a combination of revising the tax codes and tweaking the definition of "income" to exempt fewer sources.

DocHolliday
8-17-11, 5:48pm
Stop subsidizing oil companies, cut Congressional pay, cut their staff's pay, and cut the President's pay. Obama claimed he froze salaries, but somehow over half the White House staff got raises. One guy in particular got a $36,000 raise, I don't make that in a year. Go over the budgets with a fine-toothed comb and embarrass any Congresscritter that spends money on something insane.

DocHolliday
8-17-11, 5:52pm
"The revenue loss over the next 75 years just from extending the tax cuts for people making over $250,000 — the top 2 percent of Americans — would be about as large as the entire Social Security shortfall over this period. Members of Congress cannot simultaneously claim that the tax cuts for people at the top are affordable while the Social Security shortfall constitutes a dire fiscal threat."

That seems to be taking the position that the money really belongs to gov't and they've already got it spent instead of the wage earner that they're wanting to take it away from. The SS shortfall is 100% the fault of Congress, it should come out of their pay, benefits, and pensions.

Gregg
8-17-11, 6:59pm
Stop subsidizing oil companies, cut Congressional pay, cut their staff's pay, and cut the President's pay. Obama claimed he froze salaries, but somehow over half the White House staff got raises. One guy in particular got a $36,000 raise, I don't make that in a year. Go over the budgets with a fine-toothed comb and embarrass any Congresscritter that spends money on something insane.

I can totally get behind phasing out subsidies for big oil, big ag, etc. As far as Congressional and Executive pay I think it might be beneficial to go the other way. Pay the President $25 million a year or whatever it would take to lure the very best and the very brightest to the job. There's never going to be a big pool of qualified people that actually want the job, but that is probably cut WAY down by the fact that they can make 10x or even 100x the money in the private sector. It's a drop in the bucket of multi-trillion dollar budgets. We somehow need to get the most experienced, intelligent, motivated people we can into those jobs. Electing community organizers and baseball managers with pedigrees has us in a pickle. $25 million would look like a pretty good investment if we saved $5 trillion.

Rogar
8-17-11, 7:10pm
I have some opinions on presidential pay that are similar to Gregg's. I worked for a guy a while back and somtimes I say I wished he were president. Very talented man and inspiring leader and now CEO of a big company, but probably hasn't amassed the protective fortune of the typical presidential candidate.

In spite of opinions either side of congressional and presidential pay, when it comes to the big items affecting the deficit I think it's a drop in the bucket.

I have to concede to Gregg on means testing, too. Good points. I was hoping to point out ways to cut the big entitlement programs without huring the middle and lower class. Hopefully that are other ways around this.

Zigzagman
8-17-11, 7:59pm
Maybe if our political heroes are unwilling to totally throw our the 2500 page tax code then maybe just add two more brackets - $500K and $1000K. Greg, a 25M salary is crazy for anyone other than a private business owner. When the corporations do it they are simply screwing the shareholders but usually call it a bonus.

I find it rather strange that we have assigned responsibility to the President for "creating jobs". If anyone in Washington has that responsibility then it should be Congress but I am doubtful about that also. Jobs (if we are talking non-government) are responsibility of private business.

Peace

Alan
8-17-11, 8:10pm
I find it rather strange that we have assigned responsibility to the President for "creating jobs". If anyone in Washington has that responsibility then it should be Congress but I am doubtful about that also. Jobs (if we are talking non-government) are responsibility of private business.

Peace
Washington doesn't have that responsibility, although they do have a huge effect on the business environment where jobs are created. This administration has made all the wrong moves to help create that environment. They've made business out to be a collectively evil entity which must be regulated into submission, probably because it plays well with the base.

Jobs are waiting for the right environment. Maybe in 2013?

ApatheticNoMore
8-17-11, 8:14pm
And oh yeah, stop giving artificial respiration to people who bought expensive houses on low incomes. Let the houses go back to the banks that made the risky loans and let the people live in apartments or cheaper houses like they should have. I'm tired of watching people whine about being kicked out of their houses that are twice as large and 50 years newer than mine.

They're not doing it for the "homeowners". They could really care less about such little guys. They're doing it for the banks.

Rogar
8-17-11, 9:31pm
Washington doesn't have that responsibility, although they do have a huge effect on the business environment where jobs are created. This administration has made all the wrong moves to help create that environment. They've made business out to be a collectively evil entity which must be regulated into submission, probably because it plays well with the base.

Jobs are waiting for the right environment. Maybe in 2013?

Alan, I'm curious what you think evil government should be doing to allow business the environment for job creation? Corporate profits seem to be up modestly, but they are afraid to hire. Banks are flush with cash but afraid to lend to new ventures. A lot of the tradition tools that have been used by the Fed and government successfully in the past haven't worked to the degree needed and the news pundits say our quiveris is just about out of arrows. Cutting taxes seems like it would only make the deficit worse. And austerity programs, at least in the near term would seem to take cash out of the economy.

Sorry to get off topic a little, but curious.

jp1
8-17-11, 9:33pm
Ditto what Rogar said...much more for education, libraries and trade schools, much, much less for defense...and while we're at it, let's cut govt. subsidies for corn and subsidize broccoli instead. Our world would be a healthier place.

While I agree on eliminating all the current agriculture subsidies I disagree with adding new ones for broccoli or any other healthy food. With subsidies comes a perception that government should be allowed to exert more control. And frankly I'd really rather have the government less involved in my food, not more. Our CSA farmer provides an excellent product without subsidies, for a modest price of roughly $21/week which provides more veggies then we can eat in a week, and does well despite playing on a field where others get subsidies. Eliminate all subsidies and he'll do even better.

Mangano's Gold
8-17-11, 9:41pm
Ii saw an interview with Warren Buffet yesterday."
He was on Charlie Rose, essentially promoting the recent Op-ed he wrote. He said that if he could pick twelve people to read his Op-ed it would be the members of the Super-committee.

I enjoyed the interview (a full hour) so I'll give my highlights:

-- the SS comment was made in passing

-- He thinks we should raise taxes on only those making a million or more

-- He dismisses the idea that this would adversely impact investment or it is "unfair"

-- He thought the debt ceiling debate was really really bad, specifically the Tea partiers who forced Boehner out of a Grand bargain. He discussed this at length, and described the Tea partiers as forcing a game of chicken and then "throwing out the steering wheel". If you are in a game of chicken, and the other guy throws out the steering wheel, then the non-crazy person has to give in.

-- He is a true believer in America and the American system

-- He says the Housing Crash is to blame for the bad economy

-- He says that once new housing starts get to 1 million, the unemployment rate will drop to under 7%. He stressed that this is THE key to the recovery, and it could happen sooner than many think.

Alan
8-17-11, 10:03pm
Alan, I'm curious what you think evil government should be doing to allow business the environment for job creation?......
......Sorry to get off topic a little, but curious.
Leaving them alone.

As an example, during the first quarter of this year, this administration proposed or enacted more than 250 regulations amounting to more than $24 billion dollars in regulatory costs to businesses, large and small.

The cost of compliance is increasingly becoming a larger and larger drain on even the smallest businesses.

Power plants are closing as a result of this administrations energy policies, which seem to be designed to cause energy prices to "necessarily skyrocket". This increases costs to manufacturers especially but everyone is affected by the un-necessary increase of their cost of doing business. They've also made it increasingly difficult to harvest our own energy sources, increasing our dependence upon foreign sources and keeping gas/oil prices un-necessarily high.

And let's not even get into what they've done to the dollar as a result of their experiments in quantitative easing. I believe it's been de-valued by 7 or 8% in the past year.

Plus, just about everyone who provides jobs are labeled as millionaires and billionaires who must pay more. Government shouldn't be in the business of class warfare, but this administration seems to feed it's base the necessary class envy in order to keep them engaged.

All this, and more, does nothing to improve the job market, but it does satisfy a certain demographic. Is that what we want from our government?

peggy
8-17-11, 10:34pm

http://factcheck.org/2011/08/top-20-white-house-raises/

Actually, most of those "raises" were job promotions. The overall cost of his staff actually dropped.

Mangano's Gold
8-17-11, 10:44pm
=alan;38604]
And let's not even get into what they've done to the dollar as a result of their experiments in quantitative easing. I believe it's been de-valued by 7 or 8% in the past year.
Leaving aside that Obama doesn't control the Fed, or that dollar devaluation may be a good thing, here is a 10 year chart of the dollar against a basket of currencies. take off the blinders, dude. Not everything is Obama's fault.

http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/graph/?id=DTWEXM

edited: okay, I can't get the chart in. The link leads to the full 30 year history.

Rogar
8-17-11, 10:48pm
Thanks Alan. I don't totally agree everything, but understand better. Perhaps some discussion for another topic? I worked for a fortune 500 company for a long time and know there are government excesses that just wouldn't fly in the private sector. When managers didn't meet their major goals, they were generally replaced. No excuses. I agree that something isn't working and needs to change. Obama has not met his goals, I'm just not sure what the replacement is or if it has been his fault.

I would have to add that it was deregulation of the financial industry that got us into this whole mess. Deregulation of the oil and gas big businesss has resulted in price collusion, price gouging, and quasi monopolies. The EPA is sort of a two edged sword, but thank goodness Nixon created it. It's not all bad, maybe just too much.

peggy
8-17-11, 11:22pm
Leaving them alone.

As an example, during the first quarter of this year, this administration proposed or enacted more than 250 regulations amounting to more than $24 billion dollars in regulatory costs to businesses, large and small.

The cost of compliance is increasingly becoming a larger and larger drain on even the smallest businesses.

Power plants are closing as a result of this administrations energy policies, which seem to be designed to cause energy prices to "necessarily skyrocket". This increases costs to manufacturers especially but everyone is affected by the un-necessary increase of their cost of doing business. They've also made it increasingly difficult to harvest our own energy sources, increasing our dependence upon foreign sources and keeping gas/oil prices un-necessarily high.

Plus, just about everyone who provides jobs are labeled as millionaires and billionaires who must pay more. Government shouldn't be in the business of class warfare, but this administration seems to feed it's base the necessary class envy in order to keep them engaged.

All this, and more, does nothing to improve the job market, but it does satisfy a certain demographic. Is that what we want from our government?

PROPOSED or enacted? A proposal doesn't cost does it. You are trying to count the cost of these proposals as if they were enacted, which they weren't? That's kind of fudging it, don't you think. You and I both know congress makes proposals all day long, most of which are NOT acted on.
And when you say 'this administration' are you speaking of Obama's administration, or are you lumping in all democratic proposals? Again, not the same is it. And I'm guessing some of those proposals were republican proposals.

And do you have any examples of these draconian regulations that are choking small businesses?

And which energy policies of this administration are causing power plants to close? I find it hard to believe the energy companies are having to go hat in hand during a period of record profits. I think you will find it hard to drum up any sympathy for billionaire oil barons.

This cry of pity the poor billionaires is getting really old. They are paying the least taxes they have ever paid, thanks to Bush and co. and have been coddled and catered to with (thanks to Fox news and incredible right wing salesmanship) an army of worker bees sitting in their double-wides pumping their fists in the air saying "Yes! Tax cuts for the rich! That's what we need!"
So, where are the jobs? Huh? Where are they? They got huge tax cuts from Bush and guess what? We lost jobs! Jobs went away! Where's the trickle? Where's the big boost we are supposed to get from all this 'job creator investment'? It's a lie Alan. It doesn't work. The only thing they are creating with this wealth gift is more wealth...for themselves.

You want to know what the key is? You want to know the truth? Well here it is. Pretty simple actually. If there is no demand for the product, then your rich guy isn't going to invest in more product. And he isn't going to create jobs to produce a product no one wants or can afford. And unless you rich guy is in the food or shelter or energy business, chances are people aren't buying. And why aren't they buying? Because the middle class is being squeezed dry by the class warfare the wealthy/republicans have been waging on them. And the middle class is their customer. Or was. But without a middle class....and on and on it goes.

And it's not just Obama's base that thinks the wealthy should pay more in taxes. A MAJORITY of Americans think this. And lots of them are republicans.

Zigzagman
8-18-11, 12:37am
Maybe not now but at some point the right wing will have to swallow this reality - without additional taxes then there will be draconian cuts in defense, SS, and Medicare.

IMO, if we really downsized defense that would probably be good for everyone except the thousands of contractors that are now employed by the MIC. In the case of SS and Medicare it will be coming at a time when the population is aging and I don't think this will ever be accepted. I suspect it might even come to "tar and feathering" the GOP for decades. At this point I really do wish we had a solution like PRAYER - we could use some magic.

An example of a possible power plant closure is the coal fired power plant near Austin operated by LCRA that is in danger of closing simply because Austin is threatening to refuse to buy their power unless they clean up their pollution. This is just one of those in Texas that have violated Federal EPA standards for years and Texas conveniently ignored.

Peace

iris lily
8-18-11, 1:58am
Maybe not now but at some point the right wing will have to swallow this reality - without additional taxes then there will be draconian cuts in defense, SS, and Medicare.

OK, I swallowed and it's now swimming around in my stomach. Balanced budget, please. Thanks.

Alan
8-18-11, 7:32am
And which energy policies of this administration are causing power plants to close? I find it hard to believe the energy companies are having to go hat in hand during a period of record profits. I think you will find it hard to drum up any sympathy for billionaire oil barons.

http://www.grist.org/article/2010-12-13-new-reports-show-huge-wave-of-coal-plant-closures-coming

creaker
8-18-11, 7:56am
http://www.grist.org/article/2010-12-13-new-reports-show-huge-wave-of-coal-plant-closures-coming

It sounds like they are finally being forced to catch up after avoiding EPA standards for decades:

http://www.grist.org/article/2010-08-11-why-are-american-coal-plants-still-so-dirty

Alan
8-18-11, 8:34am
It sounds like they are finally being forced to catch up after avoiding EPA standards for decades:

http://www.grist.org/article/2010-08-11-why-are-american-coal-plants-still-so-dirty
Not really. It is a result of newly proposed EPA requirements which have yet to take effect, but are forcing power plants to begin scheduling shut-downs and then re-build, or not, in order to be in compliance when they are approved.

The net result will be increased power rates tied specifically to the proposed requirements.

peggy
8-18-11, 8:45am

Exactly! It would be pretty naive to believe that the big energy companies would be mindful of their communities considering how even with regulations in place they pollute at will. Without regulations they would rape and pillage and plunder until the earth was a smoking ash pit.
I don't live near a coal plant, but my neighbors do, cause I still believe in the UNITED in the United States, and this is MY country. Maybe some are willing to sacrifice ground water and air and farmland around power plant 'zones', which could stretch for miles and miles, but I'm not!
Yea to the EPA! More power to them! I'm sick of Profits over People. These guys are making record profits, they can spend a little to be good neighbors.
Profit isn't everything. It really isn't. I think this administration is just trying to look out for, and represent, the other 99% of us who share this country.

peggy
8-18-11, 8:50am
Not really. It is a result of newly proposed EPA requirements which have yet to take effect, but are forcing power plants to begin scheduling shut-downs and then re-build, or not, in order to be in compliance when they are approved.

The net result will be increased power rates tied specifically to the proposed requirements.

Here's a little tip. Your rates are going up regardless. The EPA rulings aren't really at fault, they are just an excuse. They're going up no matter what. I'm surprised you haven't figured that one out. :doh:

creaker
8-18-11, 8:55am

Per the article a lot of these power plants have been able to avoid EPA requirements for decades. It's not surprising there's a much bigger cost to pay since they have more updates to make.

Alan
8-18-11, 8:57am
Here's a little tip. Your rates are going up regardless. The EPA rulings aren't really at fault, they are just an excuse. They're going up no matter what. I'm surprised you haven't figured that one out. :doh:
Sure they would, but this adds an additional 7 to 10% on top. Plus, it's likely to cause net declines in the country's energy production, at least during the short term.
All considered, another hindrance to job creation and maintenance.

Zigzagman
8-18-11, 9:45am

Two words - Clean Air!!

OK, I swallowed and it's now swimming around in my stomach. Balanced budget, please. Thanks.

I'm assuming you really mean "Balanced Approach" to a Balanced Budget. I'm all for that!!

Peace

Gregg
8-18-11, 10:45am
So, where are the jobs? Huh? Where are they?

Honestly, that is the same question I've been asking, just for a different reason. My frustration with the current administration finally came to a head. Every time our current President has gotten into a bind his response has been that the administration was going to focus on jobs, but it hasn't happened. Mr. Obama is trying to hand the burden of job creation off to the wealthy. There are a lot of valid reasons the wealthy are not investing, and thus stimulating the economy, right now. Uncertainty is primary among them. Warren Buffett & Berkshire Hathaway are sitting on a pile of cash. Google is sitting on a pile of cash. Heck, I'm sitting on a pile of cash (albeit a small one). Cash is a very, VERY poor investment. The only reason anyone would remain cash heavy is because they can't figure out what is coming next. The wealthy, individuals and corporations, WANT to invest. That is how they make more money. Tax cuts are not creating jobs because there is no leadership in Washington right now. As soon as a clear monetary policy starts to emerge I have no doubt that investment will ramp up very quickly. Mr. Obama flipping between bus stop campaigning in Iowa and a lavish vacation at a Martha's Vineyard estate is not the kind of leadership we need right now. The DOW is down 450 (again) and gold is at a record high (again) as I write this. The EU is in trouble. The USA is in trouble. This would be a good time to rally the troops. There won't be much point in our President campaigning if he doesn't DO something to establish policy. For the record there are very few, if any, members of Congress that have any better record than our President, regardless of party affiliation.

Gregg
8-18-11, 10:59am
Greg, a 25M salary is crazy for anyone other than a private business owner. When the corporations do it they are simply screwing the shareholders but usually call it a bonus.

Well Zig, the number was arbitrary, but I disagree that extremely high salaries are crazy in all cases. Regarding elected officials I will stand by my belief that we could attract better qualified people to those positions if the salary was competitive with the private sector. Regarding upper management pay levels of publicly traded corporations, I own stock in a few that have CEO's in the multi-million dollar a year club. If the underlying assets remain solid, the dividends get paid and the company overall is on a good course in these crazy times then I have no problem with the grande' queso getting a fat check. I WANT the best person for the job to be there. Paying to get them is not screwing me, or any other shareholder.

flowerseverywhere
8-18-11, 12:28pm
the post office operates at a deficit. Raise rates for junk mail, stop delivery on Saturday and possibly Wednesday. Or let a private system take over.

Term limits for senators and congressmen. They spend too much time campaigning when they should be fixing the system. If you haven't achieved your agenda in 9 or 12 years give someone else a chance.

Social security disability. Make sure those that are collecting benefits are truly disabled. Review the money going to disabled children. Are they getting the services in schools or other agencies?

Earmarks. See bridge to nowhere.

Tax code. Phase out deductions over time and eliminate most of the IRS. Think of all the paper, personnel, computer costs and audits etc that would save a ton. If you make 50,000 you pay x tax regardless of how many kids you have. If you make 500,000 you pay x tax. If there was no mortgage deduction people would be much more likely to buy houses they can actually afford.

Bring our soldiers home. What are we doing in Iraq and Afghanistan at a cost of up to 1.2 million dollars per year per soldier? Not to mention those that come home with PTSD, brain injuries and lost limbs. A tragedy.

Foreign aid. Look to see what percentage actually gets to the neediest, what goes to developed nations or to leaders of corrupt nations. The info is out there.

flowerseverywhere
8-18-11, 1:08pm
and regardless of what party you are in if you are in the White house, stay home. Don't be travelling around the country to tout yourself and badmouth the other party. Get some work done. Most US citizens get two or three weeks vacation so do the same.

Mangano's Gold
8-18-11, 2:20pm
Honestly, that is the same question I've been asking, just for a different reason. My frustration with the current administration finally came to a head. Every time our current President has gotten into a bind his response has been that the administration was going to focus on jobs, but it hasn't happened. Mr. Obama is trying to hand the burden of job creation off to the wealthy. There are a lot of valid reasons the wealthy are not investing, and thus stimulating the economy, right now. Uncertainty is primary among them. Warren Buffett & Berkshire Hathaway are sitting on a pile of cash. Google is sitting on a pile of cash. Heck, I'm sitting on a pile of cash (albeit a small one). Cash is a very, VERY poor investment. The only reason anyone would remain cash heavy is because they can't figure out what is coming next. The wealthy, individuals and corporations, WANT to invest. That is how they make more money. Tax cuts are not creating jobs because there is no leadership in Washington right now. As soon as a clear monetary policy starts to emerge I have no doubt that investment will ramp up very quickly. Mr. Obama flipping between bus stop campaigning in Iowa and a lavish vacation at a Martha's Vineyard estate is not the kind of leadership we need right now. The DOW is down 450 (again) and gold is at a record high (again) as I write this. The EU is in trouble. The USA is in trouble. This would be a good time to rally the troops. There won't be much point in our President campaigning if he doesn't DO something to establish policy. For the record there are very few, if any, members of Congress that have any better record than our President, regardless of party affiliation.
There is no way that Obama could pass any legislation of consequence. Look at Congress. It just isn't going to happen.

As for uncertainty, that is the world we live in. If you (plural) are are waiting for certainty then the world is just going to pass you by. The US is facing an array of economic pressures from all directions.. IMO, the marginal uncertainty created by anything Obama has done is totally dwarfed by the overall environment. It is dwarfed by tens of millions of homeowners being underwater, contruction in collapse, increasing international competetion, employers getting much better at producing more with less people, demographic issues, etc...

I see the trend towards increasing uncertainty, no matter who is in Washington. YMMV.

Zigzagman
8-18-11, 3:22pm
There is no way that Obama could pass any legislation of consequence. Look at Congress. It just isn't going to happen.

Wait till Obama proposes his jobs bill - there will be an immediate rejection by the GOP. It's all about jobs until it's about elections.

Peace

Gingerella72
8-18-11, 4:28pm
Well Zig, the number was arbitrary, but I disagree that extremely high salaries are crazy in all cases. Regarding elected officials I will stand by my belief that we could attract better qualified people to those positions if the salary was competitive with the private sector. Regarding upper management pay levels of publicly traded corporations, I own stock in a few that have CEO's in the multi-million dollar a year club. If the underlying assets remain solid, the dividends get paid and the company overall is on a good course in these crazy times then I have no problem with the grande' queso getting a fat check. I WANT the best person for the job to be there. Paying to get them is not screwing me, or any other shareholder.

I think that trying to attract someone to the presidency based on wage would only attract people in it for the money; people with a "what's in it for me" attitude. We have enough of that already in this country. We need someone who is educated, has experience, etc but who is also willing to do the hardest job on the planet out of a sense of what is right for its people, not the bank account.

Aqua Blue
8-18-11, 5:45pm
It seems like a 10% cut across the board would be a good starting place. There is probably easily 10% waste in all areas. While that wouldn't fix every thing it would be a starting place.

peggy
8-18-11, 6:25pm

I agree with you gregg. I also agree with what Magano's gold said in that he can't pass anything with this congress. After all, the republicans stated goal is to make him fail, so they aren't about to pass anything that would make the country stronger or economy better. Just isn't going to happen.
But Obama needs to try. He needs to come up with a jobs bill that is specific (forget talking about shovel ready or tax credits) and take it to the people. Then let the republicans vote it down and explain why. He needs to be open, specific and loud, detailing the bill. And the bill need to be fairly simple. No fancy math or talk around, but a bill that points out real infrastructure jobs in communities across the nation, including many many republican districts, and how much funding each area will get to fix these problems (creating needed jobs and fixing problems..win win). The bill needs to be clean, no add ons, so the republicans won't have an excuse as to why they will vote it down.
We do need a strong voice now, and a leader. I am frustrated by his apparent lack of ____ in standing up for what he was elected to stand for.
Frankly I think this bus ride is kind of silly. He's got the job, he needs to do it.

Alan
8-18-11, 6:36pm
Frankly I think this bus ride is kind of silly. He's got the job, he needs to do it.
It's not silly, underhanded maybe, but certainly not silly. He's got to make as many (disguised) campaign trips as he can on the public dime since his Democrat colleagues in the Senate are already complaining about him tapping out their top-tier campaign contributors. They believe he's jeapordizing their potential fund raising efforts. http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0811/61601.html

Gregg
8-19-11, 8:17am

As for uncertainty, that is the world we live in. If you (plural) are are waiting for certainty then the world is just going to pass you by. The US is facing an array of economic pressures from all directions.. IMO, the marginal uncertainty created by anything Obama has done is totally dwarfed by the overall environment. It is dwarfed by tens of millions of homeowners being underwater, contruction in collapse, increasing international competetion, employers getting much better at producing more with less people, demographic issues, etc...

I see the trend towards increasing uncertainty, no matter who is in Washington. YMMV.

I agree that uncertainty is here to stay in the foreseeable future and its true that most of it is being created by forces outside the control of the President. I don't blame the administration for creating that climate, only for exacerbating it. If our leaders just sit on their hands things will get worse. If they continue with selfish, ridiculous, partisan politics it will get worse. I don't blame the stalemate on the Dems any more than the Reps. Both are at fault. However, the President is the elected leader and right now he is not leading. Peggy's got the right idea in my mind... come up with a plan. A straight forward, logical plan to start getting people back to work. I'm sure you're right that it would get shot down in the house. At that point its up to us to contact our representatives and tell them to pull their heads out of their ___. It ain't gonna be easy any way we do it, but we've got to get started and the President is the one that should get the ball rolling.

freein05
8-19-11, 11:18am
I don't remember a presidential campaign starting as early as this one. It started almost immediately after Obama took office.

creaker
8-19-11, 11:50am
I don't remember a presidential campaign starting as early as this one. It started almost immediately after Obama took office.

I think it started after the election without a pause. It's kind of taking us one step away from reality - the only solution presented for many of today's problems is the next election.