PDA

View Full Version : Menus with Harmony's 25 Foods

Amaranth
8-17-11, 11:46am
Intrigued by Harmony's 25 foods list? Me too. So I've been thinking about menus using that group of foods and would welcome other people's ideas for tasty days of eating.

Have a question about the list strategy. Harmony, wasn't sure if the foods were just the 25 or if the minimal add ins for cooking challenges (water, fat/oil, salt, and pepper), or more typical pantry items for cooking challenges (such as water, fat/oil, vinegar, yeast, salt, herbs, spices, baking soda, baking powder, condiments) were what you envisioned with your 25 items. What is your preference?

In the meanwhile I went with your 25 plus water.

Included in this post is a list of the 25 items from Harmony's list grouped by category. Ihe list has 23 of the 25 items so far. If you've chosen the other two, I can go back and edit this and add them in. If not, the items I'd most like to lobby for as I kept most wanting to use from outside the list were potatoes, onions, apples, olive oil, and vinegar. :) What fods do you most often find yourself wanting to use that are outside your original list?

***Harmony's 25 items, grouped***

***Additional items***

***Beans/Legumes***
Hummus

***Eggs***
Eggs

***Dairy***
Greek Yogurt

***Fish***
Shrimp

***Fruit***
Berries
Grapes
Pears
Pineapple Juice
Watermelon

***Grains***
Brown Rice
Hemp bread
Pita chips / Crackers of some kind
Quinoa

***Nuts/Seeds***
Almonds

***Vegetables***
Avocado
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Cucumbers
Green Smoothie
Lettuce / spinach
Squash/ Zucchini
Tomatoes
V-8 juice

Next I'll post a few of the menus so far.

Amaranth
8-17-11, 11:47am
***Amaranth’s Menu 1 Summer***
B:Spinach Omelet; Slices of tomato

L: Greek Honey Yogurt with fresh Strawberries; Cinnamon Graham Crackers; Salad of diced Tomatoes and Cucumbers

D: Quinoa with toasted Almonds; Grilled Zucchini Slices with Hummus Spread; Chilled Blueberries and Raspberries

Amaranth
8-17-11, 12:00pm
***Amaranth’s Menu 2 Winter***
B: Brown Rice with Raisins; Green Smoothie

L: Shrimp Burger Sandwich; Pineapple Juice Sorbet
Note: Reserve and refrigerate shrimp shells.

D: Soup made with Spicy V-8 broth, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Butternut Squash, Almond Butter and Brown Rice; Baked Pears
Note: Cook shrimp shells in V-8 broth and remove shells before proceeding.

Amaranth
8-17-11, 12:12pm
***Amaranth’s Menu 3 Summer and an afternoon Picnic with friends***

B: Banana Walnut bread topped with Greek Honey Yogurt and Sliced Strawberries

L(Picnic): Deviled Eggs with Sundried Tomatoes
Shrimp cooked in Spicy V-8 Juice (Make extra for dinner and refrigerate)
Cucumber Slices with a flavored Hummus
Spicy Crackers with regular Hummus
Cucumber Tea Sandwiches (Spread bread with almond butter and put thinly sliced cucumber in the middle)
Egg Salad Avocado Tea Sandwiches (egg salad and slices of avocado)
Mini grape bunches
Watermelon cubes
Frozen yogurt made from Greek Honey Yogurt and Raspberries topped with Raspberry Pear Syrup
Beverages: Chilled Water
Watermelon Juice
Water over pineapple juice ice cubes
Zinfandel

D: Salad of Mixed Greens, Baby Spinach, Spicy Shrimp, Avocado, Grape Tomatoes, Yellow Pear Tomatoes, diced Cucumber, and Croutons drizzled with Almond Butter

What would you make with Harmony's 25 foods?