PDA

View Full Version : 5 Star Whole Wheat Bread Recipe rated by over 900 people

frugal-one
8-18-11, 4:10pm
Today I made the following recipe. It turned out good and was fairly easy. I made 2 loaves of bread and the other loaf I made into hamburger buns. Thought I would share:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/simple-whole-wheat-bread/detail.aspx

treehugger
8-18-11, 4:26pm
I have been looking for the "perfect" (to me) whole wheat sandwich bread recipe. Thanks for posting this, but it was way too much honey and too little whole wheat flour in it for my taste.

Right now, I am working may way through the 100% whole wheat recipes at King Arthur Flour's website. One down and four more to try. The first effort tasted really good and had a nice crumb, but it's too delicate for sandwiches.

I am fairly new to yeast baking, by the way, and I am really enjoying the learning process.

Kara

frugal-one
8-18-11, 9:48pm
treehugger... check out the responses from the people who posted. They modified it to include less honey and more/and sometimes all wheat flour. I made it the way it was written today but plan on using maple syrup (which I have lots of) next time. I will modify to use less sweetner as I get better and know how to make bread. I thought this was a great first bread recipe to attempt!

crunchycon
8-19-11, 6:07am
I use a fairly similar ww bread recipe (I'll try this one - always looking!). I use about a scant 1/4 c of honey rather than 1/3 cup and add 1/4 of wheat germ for a little extra nutrition.

Thanks for sharing the link!

treehugger
8-19-11, 11:42am
treehugger... check out the responses from the people who posted.

I will do that, thanks. By the way, I didn't mean to sound sanctimonious about sugar. Everyone has different tastes and priorities, but for me 2/3 cup of sweetener is both too sweet-tasting (for bread) and not frugal. I don't have a good, cheap source of either honey or maple syrup. The recipes I have in my to-try pile have only a few tablespoons of sweetener.

Happy baking!

Kara

treehugger
8-19-11, 2:38pm
I'm at work and just ate my lunch, and I gotta say this: happiness is eating a PB&J on whole wheat bread that I made myself!

Kara

Raziela
8-19-11, 3:50pm
you can probably swap brown sugar for the honey, it's cheaper.

susanne c.
8-19-11, 4:24pm
Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book is my favorite bread book, she has a buttermilk bread recipe which uses 100% whole wheat flour and just a little honey. It makes perfect sandwich bread and I bake most of our breads. I would advise any aspiring bread baker to start with this book. Invaluable.

treehugger
8-19-11, 4:52pm
Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book is my favorite bread book, she has a buttermilk bread recipe which uses 100% whole wheat flour and just a little honey. It makes perfect sandwich bread and I bake most of our breads. I would advise any aspiring bread baker to start with this book. Invaluable.

Thanks for the recommendation, I will request that from my library. I just checked out Rose Levy Berenbaum's Bread Bible and I own Tartine Bread and King Arthur Flour's Baker's Companion.

Bread nerd,
Kara