PDA

View Full Version : digital billing?

Greg44
8-21-11, 9:35pm
American Express just sent me another request to change my monthly billing to a digital billing.

I have resisted this in the past - thinking that once they email me my billing all I am going to do is print if off. So why use up all my ink/paper?

Do you get you monthly statements mailed or digital? Those who receive a emailed billing, do you prefer it?

Tradd
8-21-11, 9:48pm
They don't email you your bill. They send you an email advising you statement is ready. You then go to their website, and with your username and password, access your bill in PDF format. You could then save the pdf of your statement to your own computer. I like not having all the paper around! I pay everything electronically through my bank's website, so I'm writing very few checks, too.

fidgiegirl
8-21-11, 10:08pm
I personally would prefer to go to it, but my DH is skeptical, so we don't, at least not for everything. All the statements are stored on their site, so if you need them later for some reason, you can print them at that time, or do as Tradd suggested. For example, when we applied for a mortgage, we had to do some printing, but I was willing to pay for it to save having to touch those pieces of paper every month. It really does cut down on the paper clutter.

When I was single I tried to exclusively use these services. I was very on top of my finances so I knew the due dates for all my credit cards, which at the time I was paying off, and was very actively working toward paying them. Now, with fewer bills and most on auto pay, I don't keep as close track and so maybe it's a good thing we get the bill in the mail.

loosechickens
8-21-11, 11:00pm
We've long since gone to that method......started early since we are traveling much of the time, with snail mail having to catch up with us, so often not timely. You don't need to print off the statement, just do as Tradd suggested, and save to your computer. If something happens that you experience a "computer crash" and lose data, you can always go to the website and retrieve your statements. The digital billing, together with setting up an ability to pay the bills online makes getting your statement, examining it and then paying it a matter of a few minutes of time and NO paper. Hard to beat......

Tradd
8-21-11, 11:23pm
We've long since gone to that method......started early since we are traveling much of the time, with snail mail having to catch up with us, so often not timely. You don't need to print off the statement, just do as Tradd suggested, and save to your computer. If something happens that you experience a "computer crash" and lose data, you can always go to the website and retrieve your statements. The digital billing, together with setting up an ability to pay the bills online makes getting your statement, examining it and then paying it a matter of a few minutes of time and NO paper. Hard to beat......

Yep, paying my bills the morning of payday (after I check I've gotten my direct deposit), takes no more than five minutes.

Greg44
8-22-11, 12:32am
I was thinking I need to print off my statement, like my checking account, seems I need to have a copy to look at the Quicken screen to check off transactions to balance...

Zigzagman
8-22-11, 12:51am
I also pay all my bills online. My DW does insist that I print the statement and I put the date paid and confirmation number for her to file. I don't personally see the need but habits are hard to break plus she is analog. I have also gone 100% digital statements instead of mail. I personally am not that comfortable with my local mail service. It is not uncommon for my neighbor to sometimes get my mail and vice-versa.

This topic confirms my belief that if were to ever lose our connectivity the stress level would be extreme. >8)

Peace

Shari
8-23-11, 5:30am
I am old fashioned and get all bills in mail.

poetry_writer
8-23-11, 11:39am
I pay all my bills online. I have moved often the past few years and may continue to do so. This avoids the irritating change of address issues , although I do change my address online. They send an email to let me know the bill is due. I dont print them. Never had a problem with this. Saves on stamps!

treehugger
8-23-11, 12:09pm
I love online bill paying. It really has simplified bill paying for me, and saves on stamps of course (although, boy is the post office suffering! apparently the only thing keeping it afloat these days is junk mail).

I do admit that I still receive paper bills in the mail and then pay them online. I had some trouble with online bills getting through to me with my last credit union and I got "gun shy." But, it really is a waste of paper, and I need to switch to e-bills.

Kara

Spartana
8-23-11, 1:17pm
I'm old school (or maybe just old :-)!) and receive and pay all my bills via snail mail. Had thought of having them direct debited from my checking account but have heard of people having numorous problems with that. And since I don't have internet access at home, I don't do online billing either. I would be uncomfortable using an unsecured wi-fi site somewhere like the library or Starbucks to pay my bills. I generally only get 4 bills a month (utilities) anyways - except those once-a-year bills like taxes and insurances and the very occasional credit card bill - since I pretty much use cash for everything else. So it's not a hassle to pay so few bills by mail. I also pre-pay all my utility bills for approx. 6 months at a time (they are VERY low) because I travel alot and this way I don't worry about them. So I really only have to pay bills once every 6 months - even less of a hassle!